Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food on the floor

From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?

The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.

Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.

How about you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 5:10:49 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
> How about you?

I'm like you. I'm not squeamish about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 May 2017 20:10:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
>floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
>sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
>The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
>through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
>Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
>How about you?

When in doubt
I throw it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2017 8:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
> How about you?

I don't trust commercial establishments. But in my own kitchen I let
the five second rule apply. I sure wouldn't throw away a steak. Or a
burger. Then again I don't tend to drop them, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 May 2017 20:10:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
>floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
>sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
>The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
>through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
>Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
>How about you?

I don't remember ever prepping food that ends up on the floor
.... occasionally when chopping veggies a few bits fly off the cutting
board and end up on the counter but those bits are still as clean as
those that didn't fall off the board... I always sanitize my counter
before preping food.
I don't believe that even fast food joints have burgers fall on the
floor. even a creep would have to work hard for a burger to end up on
the floor... I've flipped a lot of food over many years, none has
ended up on the floor. The worst scenerio a few grains of rice end up
on the stove top, I don't bother picking up four grains of rice until
I clean the stove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder, but
> I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've ingested a
> lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
> How about you?

I adhere to the 5 second rule.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 5/17/2017 8:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
>> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
>> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>>
>> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
>> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>>
>> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>>
>> How about you?

> I don't trust commercial establishments. But in my own kitchen I let the
> five second rule apply. I sure wouldn't throw away a steak. Or a burger.
> Then again I don't tend to drop them, either.
>
> Jill

LOL, me too, but I never picked something off the floor and served it in any
of the food service I've done outside of my home, never.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2017 5:24 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2017 20:10:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
>> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
>> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>>
>> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
>> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>>
>> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>>
>> How about you?

> When in doubt
> I throw it out

ditto. But I am seldom in doubt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 7:10:49 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?

Depends entirely on how clean the floor is and can I wash it off?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2017 8:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
> How about you?

Same here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 8:10:49 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
> How about you?

Pretty much like you. My nemesis is garlic, which I typically
smash with the side of a knife blade. Sometimes part of it flies
onto the floor. If I can find it (without stepping on it; my
kitchen has a beige floor), I pick it up, rinse it off, and proceed.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2017 6:26 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 5/17/2017 8:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>>
>> How about you?

> Same here.

Being a what if scenario because maybe we're just overly careful but we
don't find ourselves dropping steaks on the floor, but I'd rinse it and
cook it, too. I'm not scraping tuna salad off the floor and eating it.
I didn't know the 5 second rule was a real thing because it sounds like
a joke to me. In the spirit of the question, it depends what falls, on
how clean the floor is (sorry, I don't steam it every day), the value of
what fell ... if I drop a piece of carrot and I have a whole bunch more,
I'd likely toss it in the compost.

A steak? A pork chop? Sure, I'll rinse it and cook it. A burger?
No.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-18 8:38 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/18/2017 6:26 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 5/17/2017 8:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>>> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>>> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>>> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>>>
>>> How about you?

>> Same here.

> Being a what if scenario because maybe we're just overly careful but we
> don't find ourselves dropping steaks on the floor, but I'd rinse it and
> cook it, too. I'm not scraping tuna salad off the floor and eating it.
> I didn't know the 5 second rule was a real thing because it sounds like
> a joke to me. In the spirit of the question, it depends what falls, on
> how clean the floor is (sorry, I don't steam it every day), the value of
> what fell ... if I drop a piece of carrot and I have a whole bunch more,
> I'd likely toss it in the compost.
>
> A steak? A pork chop? Sure, I'll rinse it and cook it. A burger?
> No.

Maybe not a cooked one, but if I dropped a raw burger on the floor I
would rinse it off and cook it. Cooking is going to kill all the cooties.

Funny how people will eat something that has grown out of the ground
without thinking much about it, but won't eat something off a reasonably
clean floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 May 2017 03:58:03 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 8:10:49 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
>> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
>> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>>
>> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
>> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>>
>> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
>> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
>> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
>> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>>
>> How about you?

I've never had a hunk of meat walk off the counter and end up on the
floor.

>Pretty much like you. My nemesis is garlic, which I typically
>smash with the side of a knife blade. Sometimes part of it flies
>onto the floor. If I can find it (without stepping on it; my
>kitchen has a beige floor), I pick it up, rinse it off, and proceed.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Last week when washing a bag of six lemons one rolled off the counter,
just gave it another rinse. Last night for dinner I did a dozen over
easys, not one ended up on the floor. It's very difficult for a
burger or a steak to roll onto the floor... I can understand a
beverage getting knocked over but then there's no way to retrieve it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2017 8:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-18 8:38 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> In the spirit of the question, it depends what falls, on
>> how clean the floor is (sorry, I don't steam it every day), the value of
>> what fell ... if I drop a piece of carrot and I have a whole bunch more,
>> I'd likely toss it in the compost.
>>
>> A steak? A pork chop? Sure, I'll rinse it and cook it. A burger?
>> No.
>>

> Maybe not a cooked one, but if I dropped a raw burger on the floor I
> would rinse it off and cook it. Cooking is going to kill all the cooties.
>
> Funny how people will eat something that has grown out of the ground
> without thinking much about it, but won't eat something off a reasonably
> clean floor.

I don't see me wanting to eat a burger that fell on the floor. I keep
my floor reasonably clean but I do have a furry cat wandering around.
You're free to have all my floor burgers but the idea doesn't appeal.
I'm not a germophobe by anyone's definition but I think it's okay for
me to not eat something that's questionable in my mind. If I can't
wash it off to my satisfaction I'll take a pass.

Somehow this isn't a problem as we're pretty good about keeping the
food off the floor.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 5/18/2017 8:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-18 8:38 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> In the spirit of the question, it depends what falls, on
>> how clean the floor is (sorry, I don't steam it every day), the value of
>> what fell ... if I drop a piece of carrot and I have a whole bunch more,
>> I'd likely toss it in the compost.
>>
>> A steak? A pork chop? Sure, I'll rinse it and cook it. A burger?
>> No.
>>

> Maybe not a cooked one, but if I dropped a raw burger on the floor I
> would rinse it off and cook it. Cooking is going to kill all the cooties.
>
> Funny how people will eat something that has grown out of the ground
> without thinking much about it, but won't eat something off a reasonably
> clean floor.

I don't see me wanting to eat a burger that fell on the floor. I keep
my floor reasonably clean but I do have a furry cat wandering around.
You're free to have all my floor burgers but the idea doesn't appeal.
I'm not a germophobe by anyone's definition but I think it's okay for
me to not eat something that's questionable in my mind. If I can't
wash it off to my satisfaction I'll take a pass.

Somehow this isn't a problem as we're pretty good about keeping the
food off the floor.

nancy

==

Same here. Pretty amazing eh?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 May 2017 09:54:26 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 5/18/2017 8:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-05-18 8:38 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> In the spirit of the question, it depends what falls, on
>>> how clean the floor is (sorry, I don't steam it every day), the value of
>>> what fell ... if I drop a piece of carrot and I have a whole bunch more,
>>> I'd likely toss it in the compost.
>>>
>>> A steak? A pork chop? Sure, I'll rinse it and cook it. A burger?
>>> No.
>>>

>> Maybe not a cooked one, but if I dropped a raw burger on the floor I
>> would rinse it off and cook it. Cooking is going to kill all the cooties.
>>
>> Funny how people will eat something that has grown out of the ground
>> without thinking much about it, but won't eat something off a reasonably
>> clean floor.

>I don't see me wanting to eat a burger that fell on the floor. I keep
>my floor reasonably clean but I do have a furry cat wandering around.
>You're free to have all my floor burgers but the idea doesn't appeal.
>I'm not a germophobe by anyone's definition but I think it's okay for
>me to not eat something that's questionable in my mind. If I can't
>wash it off to my satisfaction I'll take a pass.
>
>Somehow this isn't a problem as we're pretty good about keeping the
>food off the floor.
>
>nancy

I've never dropped a burger on the floor, but if I did I'd simply let
my four cats clean up the mess, and a good job I'm sure they'd do,
because I always cook a burger for them too, and they clean their dish
so well it's okay for anyone to eat from it. hehe Usually they eat
their cooked people food from a paper plate... and it's cleaned well
enough to use it again, and often that's exactly what happens... they
have never complained about eating canned cat food from a licked off
paper plate from burgers or pork chops, my cats are not fussy about
their dinnerware. However I can assure you that the people food they
get is tastier and cleaner than food from any restaurant... in fact
the more stars they have the filthier the food.... any open kitchen
take-out is cleaner than any ten star kitchen... the cooks at fancy
schmacy restaurants very likely hardly ever bathe. I for one don't
want to eat at a restaurant where any of the employees have long hair
and facial hair... even the females need to have short cropped hair,
and wear snoods, even waitstaff, especially waitstaff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 2:10:49 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> From another thread there is a discussion about dropping food on the
> floor. In a commercial establishment the rule is to toss it. I'm sure
> sometimes it is, other times probably not. What do you do at home?
>
> The cleanest kitchen has some contamination on the floor as people walk
> through it possibly barefoot, possibly in shoes that have been outside.
>
> Depending on what falls, I'd rinse it and use it. Food that is raw and
> will be cooked, I see no problem. Cooked food may be a little harder,
> but I'd not toss a $15 steak if it fell. In my life I know I've
> ingested a lot of "stuff" and never got sick from it.
>
> How about you?

We were eating at McDonald's and a skinny kid dropped a stack of cups on the floor. The guys sitting on the other side of the room yelled at him to dump the cups. The kid looked confused and the loud guys told the boss, who was sitting with them, what was happening. The woman told him to dump the cups. Which removed any confusion about the matter. In the food service industry, sometime stuff gets dumped mostly when someone sees it.

My daughter had some horror stories about what goes on behind what used to be our favorite ramen shop. She worked there a while and then quit and wouldn't talk about what happened. When she finally did confess, it was not pretty. Now that I know about that shop, we can't ever eat there again. My policy about not know what goes on behind in the kitchen is a sound one. If we all knew what really went on, we'd never eat at any restaurant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 8:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Cold, rubbery, over easy eggs = TIAD
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Tasteless dwarf... cold fried egg sandwiches are
>> excellent
>>

> No, they're really not. You're the only person I know who likes cold eggs.
>
> Jill

I'll eat had boiled eggs cold, but fried, never have. Does not sound
appealing at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 9:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/19/2017 8:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'll eat had boiled eggs cold, but fried, never have. Does not sound
> appealing at all.

I have had cold fried egg sandwiches. I prefer them hot, but they are
still good cold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

news

wrote:

>>> No, they're really not. You're the only person I know who likes cold
>>> eggs.
>>>
>>> Jill

>>Deviled eggs are cold and millions are consumed each year.

> I'm not a fan of deviled eggs but I like sliced hard boiled egg
> sandwiches. I like hard boiled egges in salads, and I especially like
> pickeled eggs. I see nothing bad about eating cold eggs... I enjoy
> lots of raw eggs in smoothies.

I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge, great snack and good for many
things.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 10:28 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge, great snack and good for
> many things.
>
> Cheri

When I was working I'd boil a half dozen eggs and I'd have one for
breakfast and later my wife would have another. Covered three days that
way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 10:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/19/2017 10:28 PM, Cheri wrote:

> When I was working I'd boil a half dozen eggs and I'd have one for
> breakfast and later my wife would have another. Covered three days that
> way.

My wife used to eat a lot of eggs and would often take one out at the
soft boiled stage and leave the rest in to hard cook. They would be used
later for breakfast or lunch.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2017 10:28 PM, Cheri wrote:
>

>> I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge, great snack and good for
>> many things.
>>
>> Cheri

> When I was working I'd boil a half dozen eggs and I'd have one for
> breakfast and later my wife would have another. Covered three days that
> way.

Yep, handy as well as cheap, great tasting, and very easy to cook and keep
available.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Tasteless dwarf... cold fried egg sandwiches are
>>> excellent
>>>

>> No, they're really not. You're the only person I know who likes cold eggs.
>>
>> Jill

>I'll eat hard boiled eggs cold, but fried, never have. Does not sound
>appealing at all.

Cold fritattas are very good... cold egg noodle kugel is even better.
Cold potato omelets are a favorite here.

Cold fried eggs make a great sandwich with your favorite cold cuts...
makes a fine Hero sandwich.

I prefer a quiche eaten cold.

Yoose need to expand your food repertoire, can't live by steak alone.

Try a cold thin omelet with a schmear of whipped cream cheese rolled
with caviar.

And I do enjoy cold steak thinly sliced on a Kaiser roll with thinly
sliced ripe tomato and sweet onion, perfect with horseradish sauce
(had that three nights ago with that marinated top round steak).
Same deal with cold meat loaf, the kind with hard cooked eggs inside.
Some of yoose have such limited menu choices and so many *don't
likes*, if it's not on a fast food joint drive-thru menu for seven
year olds yoose turn up your noses.

Hoover H3000 Floor Mate Hard-Floor Cleaner [email protected] Barbecue 0 22-05-2009 02:26 AM
floor down elaine General Cooking 29 06-05-2006 01:29 AM
Floor coker Joe Winemaking 5 02-10-2005 11:56 AM
Floor Plans kitch Winemaking 11 16-10-2003 04:41 PM