Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wildlife galore

Maybe I should get out of bed and get going earlier every day because I
think I may be missing a lot. I am involved with a local art festival.
It runs an art sale every Mothers Day Weekend to raise money for the
local library and to fund scholarships for local arts students. This
morning is set up day and I have organized a crew to move about 160
mounting boards, tables, chairs and all sorts of other stuff.

I was upstairs getting dressed and I looked out the window in time to
see a coyote preparing to cross the road. He ran back into the woods
because there was a car approaching and then sat back there looking and
listening until the way was clear. I then looked down and saw a rabbit
on my yard. It hopped around the corner so I looked out the back window
and watched him speed up across the yard. A pair of Canada Geese flew
by. I went back to the side window and watched the coyote scoot across
the road. I wonder if he had rabbit for breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2017 7:40 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Maybe I should get out of bed and get going earlier every day because I
> think I may be missing a lot. I am involved with a local art festival.
> It runs an art sale every Mothers Day Weekend to raise money for the
> local library and to fund scholarships for local arts students. This
> morning is set up day and I have organized a crew to move about 160
> mounting boards, tables, chairs and all sorts of other stuff.
>
> I was upstairs getting dressed and I looked out the window in time to
> see a coyote preparing to cross the road. He ran back into the woods
> because there was a car approaching and then sat back there looking and
> listening until the way was clear. I then looked down and saw a rabbit
> on my yard. It hopped around the corner so I looked out the back window
> and watched him speed up across the yard. A pair of Canada Geese flew
> by. I went back to the side window and watched the coyote scoot across
> the road. I wonder if he had rabbit for breakfast.

You should get up early. You (like most people) also miss some killer
pre-sunrise skys.

I get up and get outside every single morning while it's still dark.
Then I get to see the sky slowly brightening. If I go out and it's
already light outside, I feel ripped off. This is everyday, work days
or days off.

I'm just a very early person and have been since 1971.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2017 07:40:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Maybe I should get out of bed and get going earlier every day because I
>think I may be missing a lot. I am involved with a local art festival.
>It runs an art sale every Mothers Day Weekend to raise money for the
>local library and to fund scholarships for local arts students. This
>morning is set up day and I have organized a crew to move about 160
>mounting boards, tables, chairs and all sorts of other stuff.
>
>I was upstairs getting dressed and I looked out the window in time to
>see a coyote preparing to cross the road. He ran back into the woods
>because there was a car approaching and then sat back there looking and
>listening until the way was clear. I then looked down and saw a rabbit
>on my yard. It hopped around the corner so I looked out the back window
>and watched him speed up across the yard. A pair of Canada Geese flew
>by. I went back to the side window and watched the coyote scoot across
>the road. I wonder if he had rabbit for breakfast.

You just need to get on their schedule Mama duck crossed our drive
from the neighbor's yard yesterday and marched underneath our truck
followed by 8 teenies. She walked them down the hill path and into
the creek. What brave little souls -- it's a 6 foot jump into a high
and fast running creek. They bobbed around for quite a while, even
zooming up creek until mom called a halt and they swam away down
creek. ))
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 11:03:43 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2017 07:40:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

> >Maybe I should get out of bed and get going earlier every day because I
> >think I may be missing a lot. I am involved with a local art festival.
> >It runs an art sale every Mothers Day Weekend to raise money for the
> >local library and to fund scholarships for local arts students. This
> >morning is set up day and I have organized a crew to move about 160
> >mounting boards, tables, chairs and all sorts of other stuff.
> >
> >I was upstairs getting dressed and I looked out the window in time to
> >see a coyote preparing to cross the road. He ran back into the woods
> >because there was a car approaching and then sat back there looking and
> >listening until the way was clear. I then looked down and saw a rabbit
> >on my yard. It hopped around the corner so I looked out the back window
> >and watched him speed up across the yard. A pair of Canada Geese flew
> >by. I went back to the side window and watched the coyote scoot across
> >the road. I wonder if he had rabbit for breakfast.

> You just need to get on their schedule Mama duck crossed our drive
> from the neighbor's yard yesterday and marched underneath our truck
> followed by 8 teenies. She walked them down the hill path and into
> the creek. What brave little souls -- it's a 6 foot jump into a high
> and fast running creek. They bobbed around for quite a while, even
> zooming up creek until mom called a halt and they swam away down
> creek. ))
> Janet US

A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
wouldn't notice them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2017 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 11:03:43 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2017 07:40:15 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >Maybe I should get out of bed and get going earlier every day because I
>> >think I may be missing a lot. I am involved with a local art festival.
>> >It runs an art sale every Mothers Day Weekend to raise money for the
>> >local library and to fund scholarships for local arts students. This
>> >morning is set up day and I have organized a crew to move about 160
>> >mounting boards, tables, chairs and all sorts of other stuff.
>> >
>> >I was upstairs getting dressed and I looked out the window in time to
>> >see a coyote preparing to cross the road. He ran back into the woods
>> >because there was a car approaching and then sat back there looking and
>> >listening until the way was clear. I then looked down and saw a rabbit
>> >on my yard. It hopped around the corner so I looked out the back window
>> >and watched him speed up across the yard. A pair of Canada Geese flew
>> >by. I went back to the side window and watched the coyote scoot across
>> >the road. I wonder if he had rabbit for breakfast.

>> You just need to get on their schedule Mama duck crossed our drive
>> from the neighbor's yard yesterday and marched underneath our truck
>> followed by 8 teenies. She walked them down the hill path and into
>> the creek. What brave little souls -- it's a 6 foot jump into a high
>> and fast running creek. They bobbed around for quite a while, even
>> zooming up creek until mom called a halt and they swam away down
>> creek. ))
>> Janet US

>A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
>to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
>to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
>wouldn't notice them.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I am always so pleased when traffic stops for the ducks and geese..We
have the geese/ducks everywhere also. They'll hang out right at the
edge of sidewalks and watch the traffic zoom by. They have adopted
out city. Some like it and some not
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2017 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
>to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
>to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
>wouldn't notice them.

And then you had duck for dinner?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 3:43:14 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2017 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
> >to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
> >to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
> >wouldn't notice them.

> And then you had duck for dinner?

No. Not enough meat on those ducklings.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 3:43:14 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2017 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
> >to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
> >to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
> >wouldn't notice them.

> And then you had duck for dinner?

No. Not enough meat on those ducklings.

Cindy Hamilton

===

You could put a napkin on your head and crunch the wee souls

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-11 12:52 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
> to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
> to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
> wouldn't notice them.

For goodness sake, don't stop and get out to guide them across. There
was a case up here a couple years ago where a woman stopped in the
middle of a highway to help a family of ducks across and it caused a
crash in which a motorcyclist was killed.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...cks-on-highway

A day or two after that was big news around here I saw a woman doing the
same thing on a highway here.

Sorry. I like animals. I like people. I hate it when people do
something kind for animals and a human gets killed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 3:43:14 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2017 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
>> >to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
>> >to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
>> >wouldn't notice them.

>> And then you had duck for dinner?

> No. Not enough meat on those ducklings.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> You could put a napkin on your head and crunch the wee souls

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 11:03:43 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 May 2017 07:40:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > Maybe I should get out of bed and get going earlier every day
> > > because I think I may be missing a lot. I am involved with a
> > > local art festival. It runs an art sale every Mothers Day
> > > Weekend to raise money for the local library and to fund
> > > scholarships for local arts students. This morning is set up day
> > > and I have organized a crew to move about 160 mounting boards,
> > > tables, chairs and all sorts of other stuff.
> > >
> > > I was upstairs getting dressed and I looked out the window in
> > > time to see a coyote preparing to cross the road. He ran back
> > > into the woods because there was a car approaching and then sat
> > > back there looking and listening until the way was clear. I then
> > > looked down and saw a rabbit on my yard. It hopped around the
> > > corner so I looked out the back window and watched him speed up
> > > across the yard. A pair of Canada Geese flew by. I went back to
> > > the side window and watched the coyote scoot across the road. I
> > > wonder if he had rabbit for breakfast.

> > You just need to get on their schedule Mama duck crossed our
> > drive from the neighbor's yard yesterday and marched underneath our
> > truck followed by 8 teenies. She walked them down the hill path
> > and into the creek. What brave little souls -- it's a 6 foot jump
> > into a high and fast running creek. They bobbed around for quite a
> > while, even zooming up creek until mom called a halt and they swam
> > away down creek. ))
> > Janet US

> A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
> to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
> to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
> wouldn't notice them.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Funny you should mention that. Happened to me today on the way back
from Oceana (local Navy base). A Momma goose with a baby and a daddy
behind, crossing VB BLVD just before Great Neck. Gary can tell you,
NOT THE BEST SPOT for them to cross!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 5:54:59 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-11 12:52 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> > A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
> > to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
> > to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
> > wouldn't notice them.

> For goodness sake, don't stop and get out to guide them across. There
> was a case up here a couple years ago where a woman stopped in the
> middle of a highway to help a family of ducks across and it caused a
> crash in which a motorcyclist was killed.

I just stopped. I didn't get out. If someone on a nearly empty 5-lane
road can't see a big honking SUV stopped in broad daylight...

Apparently they did. Everybody else in both directions stopped,
except one jackwagon who oozed around in the left-turn lane.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
>> to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
>> to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
>> wouldn't notice them.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Funny you should mention that. Happened to me today on the way back
> from Oceana (local Navy base). A Momma goose with a baby and a daddy
> behind, crossing VB BLVD just before Great Neck. Gary can tell you,
> NOT THE BEST SPOT for them to cross!

OK Carol. I'll certainly verify that one for you. Both roads are very
busy and multi=lanes each way. Not a good place for wildlife to be
crossing a road.

The intersection of both roads is also where our
local asian market is. I still haven't gone there but I do plan to
'someday.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > A couple of days ago I stopped on a 5-lane thoroughfare
> > > to let a duck and two ducklings cross the street. I had
> > > to cover my eyes, for fear traffic on the other side
> > > wouldn't notice them.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Funny you should mention that. Happened to me today on the way back
> > from Oceana (local Navy base). A Momma goose with a baby and a daddy
> > behind, crossing VB BLVD just before Great Neck. Gary can tell you,
> > NOT THE BEST SPOT for them to cross!

> OK Carol. I'll certainly verify that one for you. Both roads are very
> busy and multi=lanes each way. Not a good place for wildlife to be
> crossing a road.
>
> The intersection of both roads is also where our
> local asian market is. I still haven't gone there but I do plan to
> 'someday.'

Well, if you feel like seeing some some locals having fun, we are
meeting at Whole foods at 8:30 tomorrow then Asian Market about 9:30.
Not all will go to Asian Market but a few might follow me. Pink top
and an ankle length wrap around colorful indian wrap silk skirt. I'm
hard to miss unless in a crowd, and if then, look for the dip in the
middle (grin, 5ft1).

WIldlife Gloria P General Cooking 2 06-10-2009 01:33 PM
Wildlife Gloria P Preserving 3 21-08-2009 02:53 AM
Restaurant wildlife revisited Phred General Cooking 2 04-09-2007 12:42 PM
Restaurant wildlife Phred General Cooking 1 03-09-2007 05:20 PM
British Study on Organic Farms - Better for wildlife Beach Runner Vegan 0 24-08-2005 11:55 PM