Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Dishes

It was a miserable, cold, wet rainy day here. I can live with it because
the grass is green and growing, trees are coming out in leaf and the
fruit trees are blossoming. It seemed like a good day to go out and get
new dishes. My wife was not too excited about my project. We just got
new everyday dishes about a year and a half ago, but we didn't get what
we really wanted and ended up with one that neither of us hated. We had
managed to lose three plates, and most of the others were chippped.....
cheap Chinese crap.

Today it was toss up between one of two patterns of Denby or Royal
Dalton Pacific. The Denby was twice as much per 16 piece setting, and
we needed two, so we opted for the Royal Dalton.

Dinner is in the oven and I am looking forward to a nice meal of braised
lamb shanks on our new dishes.

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 5:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> It was a miserable, cold, wet rainy day here. I can live with it because
> the grass is green and growing, trees are coming out in leaf and the
> fruit trees are blossoming.

I told you Spring would get there eventually. Now I'm gonna "rub it in"
again. This was sunrise, photo taken by another resident photo hound.
NOT the view from my back yard, but somewhere around here.

https://s22.postimg.org/dhg7b95ox/sunrise.jpg

Got up to 90° today.

> It seemed like a good day to go out and get
> new dishes. My wife was not too excited about my project.

I can't say I get very excited about replacing everyday dishes, either.

> We just got new everyday dishes about a year and a half ago, but we didn't get what
> we really wanted and ended up with one that neither of us hated. We had
> managed to lose three plates, and most of the others were chippped.....
> cheap Chinese crap.

How do you manage to lose three plates? And chip a bunch of others?
Are you particularly rough on dishes?!

> Today it was toss up between one of two patterns of Denby or Royal
> Dalton Pacific. The Denby was twice as much per 16 piece setting, and
> we needed two, so we opted for the Royal Dalton.
>

> Dinner is in the oven and I am looking forward to a nice meal of braised
> lamb shanks on our new dishes.
>
> http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have to say those dots are rather disturbing. Those dishes would make
me dizzy.

I prefer very plain dishes. My everyday dishes are very simple white
with a raised lattice pattern. But hey, have fun with all the dots!
And enjoy the lamb shanks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-30 6:27 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> It seemed like a good day to go out and get
>> new dishes. My wife was not too excited about my project.

> I can't say I get very excited about replacing everyday dishes, either.
>
>> We just got new everyday dishes about a year and a half ago, but we
>> didn't get what
>> we really wanted and ended up with one that neither of us hated. We had
>> managed to lose three plates, and most of the others were chippped.....
>> cheap Chinese crap.
>>

> How do you manage to lose three plates? And chip a bunch of others? Are
> you particularly rough on dishes?!

Let's just say that I did not chip or break any of them. I have a dear
sweet wife, but Megatron is a little on the clumsy side.

>> Today it was toss up between one of two patterns of Denby or Royal
>> Dalton Pacific. The Denby was twice as much per 16 piece setting, and
>> we needed two, so we opted for the Royal Dalton.
>>

>> Dinner is in the oven and I am looking forward to a nice meal of braised
>> lamb shanks on our new dishes.
>>
>> http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
>>

> I have to say those dots are rather disturbing. Those dishes would make
> me dizzy.

The pictures don't do them justice.

> I prefer very plain dishes. My everyday dishes are very simple white
> with a raised lattice pattern. But hey, have fun with all the dots!

>And enjoy the lamb shanks.

Thanks. We did. My arm is sore from patting myself on the back. I
browned them in a heavy pot with a little olive oil in it. Then a took
them our and threw in some finely chopped carrot, celery and onion and
garlic. Then I added some dark beer, and beef stock with some parsley,
rosemary and thyme. I gave them about 3 hours in the oven at 300F,
pureed the braising goodies, reduced it and thickened it with Veloutine.
They were served with steamed green beans and garlic mashed potatoes.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 5:34:30 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> It seemed like a good day to go out and get
> new dishes. My wife was not too excited about my project.

I'm looking at a set of Red Vanilla. Wife thinks she will not like them if they
screech like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Any experience? I'm an online shopper so more than likely I will not taking a fork to them in a store.

I really do like the clean super white looks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:34:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It was a miserable, cold, wet rainy day here. I can live with it because
>the grass is green and growing, trees are coming out in leaf and the
>fruit trees are blossoming. It seemed like a good day to go out and get
>new dishes. My wife was not too excited about my project. We just got
>new everyday dishes about a year and a half ago, but we didn't get what
>we really wanted and ended up with one that neither of us hated. We had
>managed to lose three plates, and most of the others were chippped.....
>cheap Chinese crap.
>
>Today it was toss up between one of two patterns of Denby or Royal
>Dalton Pacific. The Denby was twice as much per 16 piece setting, and
>we needed two, so we opted for the Royal Dalton.
>

>Dinner is in the oven and I am looking forward to a nice meal of braised
>lamb shanks on our new dishes.
>
>http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like those dishes.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> We had managed to lose three plates, and most of the others were chippped.....
> cheap Chinese crap.
>
> http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

That pattern is some sort of optical illusion, it appears to be
moving... dizzying.... those Pacific Dots are aptly named, causes sea
sickness. Not my taste but you enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2017 11:29 AM, wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> We had managed to lose three plates, and most of the others were chippped.....
>> cheap Chinese crap.

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

> That pattern is some sort of optical illusion, it appears to be
> moving... dizzying.... those Pacific Dots are aptly named, causes sea
> sickness. Not my taste but you enjoy.

That is what I was thinking. Epileptic inducing dishes. Just what we need.

20 of the worst dishes idugall General Cooking 60 19-03-2010 05:34 PM
CASSEROLE DISHES No Name General Cooking 11 23-01-2010 01:38 AM
Two dishes Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 13 14-01-2010 09:03 PM
Egg Dishes fatdancer Preserving 3 14-05-2007 01:35 AM
Dishes are done Joelle General Cooking 13 27-11-2004 11:16 PM