Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen canister set

I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

=====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:36:01 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:

> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Go to Walmart, Target, Bed,Bath, & Beyond, JC Penney,
Pottery Barn, William Sonoma, etc. and look at the
canisters. You might find something you like and be
sure they have TIGHT fitting lids to keep air and
insects out.

I bought some of these, not a whole set, bought at Wally
World for powdered sugar, homemade taco mix, etc. If I
did't already have a nice, airtight set, I'd go for the
full line of these. Clear and airtight.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Ho...olors/54807368

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2017 8:35 PM, Roy wrote:
> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

I use this sort, in a range of sizes -

<https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Square-Chalkboard-4-Ounce/dp/B00HC9W2SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486950484&sr=8-1&keywords=clear+storage+jar>

They seal well, they're bug- and rodent-proof, don't retain odours,
don't rust, and I can easily see how much is in them. I use them for
rice, barley, lentils, sugar, salt, flour, pasta...

They DO break if you drop them.

I use self-adhesive black 'chalkboard' labels and chalk pens to mark them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy, I went to WalMart and bought a set of four...semi-clear plastic with a very
tight-fitting lid. Actually, I bought two sets. But they don't sit out, they reside in
a cupboard. I use them for two types of flour, for sugar, for my homemade
Caesar croutons, etc. they weren't expensive at all. I think I would still like
them if they did sit out on my counters.

You want something that is moisture-proof and cupboard bug-proof. One of my
favorite looks are clear glass canning jars with glass lids that fit with rubber
gaskets. I don't believe those have to be expensive, either. Suit your own taste.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2017 8:35 PM, Roy wrote:
> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
>
> =====

Buy what look pretty on the counter.

We don't use canisters. Sugar is in a plastic Tupperware container that
is probably 49 years old. Flour is in a popcorn tin but a smaller tin
is on the counter for when you need a couple of spoonfuls. Coffee is in
a container that you can purge the air out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:35:55 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:

> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
>
> =====

You're so old an decrepit that the only "new digs" to go from here is
a social security group home for old smelly farts. New canisters for a
shared kitchen should be pretty low on your priority list.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 01:45:41 -0600, Fungo Squiggly
> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:35:55 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:
>
>> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
>> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
>> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
>> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
>> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
>> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
>> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
>> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
>>
>> =====

>You're so old an decrepit that the only "new digs" to go from here is
>a social security group home for old smelly farts. New canisters for a
>shared kitchen should be pretty low on your priority list.

Totally unnecessary nastiness from Sqwertz. And he knows it or he
would have used his own name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 8:36:01 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

I don't do "sets". Inevitably, something is a useless size. I like these:

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZXU7W>

They come in various sizes, and are sturdy. Downside: not dishwasher
safe.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2017 10:03 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> You want something that is moisture-proof and cupboard bug-proof. One of my
> favorite looks are clear glass canning jars with glass lids that fit with rubber
> gaskets. I don't believe those have to be expensive, either. Suit your own taste.

That's the type of thing I like, too. And the flour and sugar needs
to be big enough to hold a bit more than a bag plus a scoop. I like
to keep a scoop in there.

Those are my requirements, not everyone's. The plastic containers
with the sides that snap down are nice, too, i have one for
powdered sugar.

Canister sets makes me think of the graduated matching deals that
don't seem particularly useful for me. Flour sugar coffee tea.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I put my "sets" to use in ways not usually suggested...sugar, 2 flours,
croutons, etc. I have a Keurig so don't need a coffee canister, nor
do I need something for tea. Each to own. Nobody cares what you
put in your canisters, use them as you wish. Mine are inside a cupboard
so their outside appearance isn't important.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:29:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/12/2017 10:03 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> You want something that is moisture-proof and cupboard bug-proof. One of my
>> favorite looks are clear glass canning jars with glass lids that fit with rubber
>> gaskets. I don't believe those have to be expensive, either. Suit your own taste.

>That's the type of thing I like, too. And the flour and sugar needs
>to be big enough to hold a bit more than a bag plus a scoop. I like
>to keep a scoop in there.
>
>Those are my requirements, not everyone's. The plastic containers
>with the sides that snap down are nice, too, i have one for
>powdered sugar.
>
>Canister sets makes me think of the graduated matching deals that
>don't seem particularly useful for me. Flour sugar coffee tea.
>
>nancy

For edibles storage I use large wide mouth glass jars with screw caps;
gallon pickle jars are good for sugar, rice, flours. I'm glad I saved
lots of quart glass mayo jars before they went to plastic, good for
beans, small pasta, etc. If anyone wants glass jars they can be
purchased on line. Walmart carries a selection of large glass jars:
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/glass-storage-jars
I don't like to have canisters of food items on my counter tops, the
jars go in cupboards or on the pantry floor. I keep one decorative
ceramic canister on my counter top for woodens spoons, wire whisks,
rubber spatulas, and such. I don't like clutter on kitchen surfaces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 03:25:27 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 8:36:01 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
>> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
>> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
>> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
>> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
>> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
>> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
>> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
>> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

>I don't do "sets". Inevitably, something is a useless size. I like these:
>
><https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZXU7W>
>
>They come in various sizes, and are sturdy. Downside: not dishwasher
>safe.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Those are attractive, I like the see-thru lid, and the price is
right... but how often does one need to wash canisters? However I
prefer my freebie glass pickle/mayo jars... and attractiveness be
damned, I don't display canisters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-02-13, Roy > wrote:

> What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Yes. I have some "avoid" and "quality" issues. These are based on my
experience and nothing else. No internet review stuff.

I would avoid --as in never buy-- any plastic container! Not only is
plastic killing our planet, but they make crappy storage containers.
I'm still tossing WW plastic wire-snap containers my mom bought at WW
and stored shelled raw nuts and other cannister stuff, in. The
plastic takes on the smell of the now rancid contents. So much so, I
cannot save them. My only choice is to toss 'em.

Also, while I recommend using glass wire-snap containers. I personally
advise against buying Bormioli Rocco brand containers. I've purchased
and used them and it's been my experience the rubber gasket takes on
the smell/flavor of whatever is being stored. In my case it was
coffee. Took 6 mos for the coffee smell/flavor to leave the rubber
gaskets.

They are harder to find (maybe now impossible), but French-made
Luminarc never had such a problem. I usta have half a dozen Luminarc
wire-snap storage jars. The rubber gaskets NEVER took on the
smell/taste of whatever I stored in them. Kills me I hadda give 'em
away. 8(

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2017 8:35 PM, Roy wrote:
> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
>
> =====

It's up to you. What's your decor giong to be like? As some folks
said, cannister "sets" don't always meet your needs. I don't need a
cannisters for storing tea bags or coffee. Just flour and sugar, and I
mostly use the sugar for making nectar for the hummingbird feeder.

You might try this place:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/kit...uctId=10011037

I use glass containers with rubber gaskets and bail closure for storing
dried pasta. The bail on the spaghetti jar broke so I'm in the market
for a new one. I'll have to look elsewhere, though, they don't seem to
sell them tall enough to hold dried spaghetti.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nb, each to their own. ;-)) The plastic containers I have are the smooth, slick
kind of plastic, not the more porous kind. Even my garlic croutons don't have
a problem with the odor sticking to the cleaned canisters. I have used them now for
over 10 years; they show no wear at all, and I don't expect them to end up in a
landfill. I refuse to apologize for the plastic in my life.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:29:17 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/12/2017 10:03 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> You want something that is moisture-proof and cupboard bug-proof. One of my
>> favorite looks are clear glass canning jars with glass lids that fit with rubber
>> gaskets. I don't believe those have to be expensive, either. Suit your own taste.

>That's the type of thing I like, too. And the flour and sugar needs
>to be big enough to hold a bit more than a bag plus a scoop. I like
>to keep a scoop in there.
>
>Those are my requirements, not everyone's. The plastic containers
>with the sides that snap down are nice, too, i have one for
>powdered sugar.
>
>Canister sets makes me think of the graduated matching deals that
>don't seem particularly useful for me. Flour sugar coffee tea.
>
>nancy

Lock and Lock makes containers that are made especially to hold 5
pounds of sugar and 5 pounds of flour. Air tight secure lids and easy
front access. Depends what you want.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 09:43:36 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 03:25:27 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 8:36:01 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
>>> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
>>> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
>>> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
>>> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
>>> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
>>> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
>>> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
>>> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

>>I don't do "sets". Inevitably, something is a useless size. I like these:
>>
>><https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZXU7W>
>>
>>They come in various sizes, and are sturdy. Downside: not dishwasher
>>safe.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Those are attractive, I like the see-thru lid, and the price is
>right... but how often does one need to wash canisters? However I
>prefer my freebie glass pickle/mayo jars... and attractiveness be
>damned, I don't display canisters.

I wash my canisters a couple of times a year.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> nb, each to their own. ;-)) The plastic containers I have are the smooth, slick
> kind of plastic, not the more porous kind. Even my garlic croutons don't have
> a problem with the odor sticking to the cleaned canisters. I have used them now for
> over 10 years; they show no wear at all, and I don't expect them to end up in a
> landfill. I refuse to apologize for the plastic in my life.

I only use 2 containers. A large one that holds a 5lb bag of flour and
a smaller one that holds a 3? bag of sugar. Both are old airtight
tupperware containers and they live on top of my cabinet not on the
countertop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2017 6:35 PM, Roy wrote:
> I need a new canister set when I move to my new digs. The ones I have are
> hand-me-downs twice over and are rusty and faded. What a variety of styles
> are available...round ones, square, rectangular, plastic, stainless
> steel, glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. Clear modular with plastic lids, others
> with snap-lock lids with rubber seals.
> How does a person choose? Sets of 4 for anywhere from $22 and up. Others as
> high as $50. What sets should one avoid? Anyone been surprised by quality
> issues? A few opinions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
>
> =====

Are you looking for a design statement or practical storage?
How much counter space can you devote to canisters?
What do you plan to store in them?
What is available and affordable where you shop?
Are you willing to buy them online?

When you answer those questions it will help you to decide.

gloria p