Goomba38

Default Bread pudding with Challah

I have some stale leftover Challah. Does anyone
have a good bread pudding recipe to share that
suits this well? Sheldon, didn't you once post a
chocolate bread pudding many years ago?
Goomba

SportKite1

>From: Goomba38

>I have some stale leftover Challah. Does anyone
>have a good bread pudding recipe to share that
>suits this well?

There are loads of different egg-milk-sugar-vanilla-cinnamon-nutmeg
configurations/recipes out there, and most are very good. The only thing I do
that is a little different is to pack the challah cubes tightly into a buttered
loaf pan, then pour the liquid mixture over it, pressing on the bread to soak
up as much liquid as possible. There will be some liquid floating on top. Bake
in a shallow water bath. Chill overnight.

I serve this in cold "slices" topped with warm bourbon sauce for Christmas
morning. Oh my, is this ever good.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Goomba38

>I have some stale leftover Challah. Does anyone
>have a good bread pudding recipe to share that
>suits this well?

There are loads of different egg-milk-sugar-vanilla-cinnamon-nutmeg
configurations/recipes out there, and most are very good. The only thing I do
that is a little different is to pack the challah cubes tightly into a buttered
loaf pan, then pour the liquid mixture over it, pressing on the bread to soak
up as much liquid as possible. There will be some liquid floating on top. Bake
in a shallow water bath. Chill overnight.

I serve this in cold "slices" topped with warm bourbon sauce for Christmas
morning. Oh my, is this ever good.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Goomba38

>I have some stale leftover Challah. Does anyone
>have a good bread pudding recipe to share that
>suits this well?

There are loads of different egg-milk-sugar-vanilla-cinnamon-nutmeg
configurations/recipes out there, and most are very good. The only thing I do
that is a little different is to pack the challah cubes tightly into a buttered
loaf pan, then pour the liquid mixture over it, pressing on the bread to soak
up as much liquid as possible. There will be some liquid floating on top. Bake
in a shallow water bath. Chill overnight.

I serve this in cold "slices" topped with warm bourbon sauce for Christmas
morning. Oh my, is this ever good.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Scott

>Challah for Christmas morning? Now THAT'S a bit of irony.

I always appreciate the irony myself.

Seriously though, I can't find brioche around here, so challah is the stand in.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Scott

>Challah for Christmas morning? Now THAT'S a bit of irony.

I always appreciate the irony myself.

Seriously though, I can't find brioche around here, so challah is the stand in.

Ellen

PENMART01

>(SportKite1) writes:
>
>>From: Scott

>>Challah for Christmas morning? Now THAT'S a bit of irony.

>I always appreciate the irony myself.
>
>Seriously though, I can't find brioche around here, so challah is the stand
>in.

Challah IS brioche. Only thing that makes it challah is the traditional shapes
in which it's formed (braided or turban) but mostly that it's kosher, and that
it contains no dairy, otherwise it is simply brioche (egg bread), which also
has its traditional shapes (classic shape, called brioche à tête, has a fluted
base and a jaunty topknot. It also comes in the form of small buns or a large
round loaf).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>(SportKite1) writes:
>
>>From: Scott

>>Challah for Christmas morning? Now THAT'S a bit of irony.

>I always appreciate the irony myself.
>
>Seriously though, I can't find brioche around here, so challah is the stand
>in.

Challah IS brioche. Only thing that makes it challah is the traditional shapes
in which it's formed (braided or turban) but mostly that it's kosher, and that
it contains no dairy, otherwise it is simply brioche (egg bread), which also
has its traditional shapes (classic shape, called brioche à tête, has a fluted
base and a jaunty topknot. It also comes in the form of small buns or a large
round loaf).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:
>I have some stale leftover Challah. Does anyone
>have a good bread pudding recipe to share that
>suits this well? Sheldon, didn't you once post a
>chocolate bread pudding many years ago?

The last time I had some stale challah, the BP recipe in the Fannie Farmer
cookbook worked a treat.

I may have done the Nigella trick of plumping the raisins up with rum
first, but otherwise it was by the book. If you don't have it, give a
shout out.

Charlotte
Charlotte L. Blackmer