Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Drones Delivering Food...!!!???

So, weve discussed self driving vehicles, now howzabout drone delivered vittles? Just think instead of schlepping around on the Austin TX bus system, Steve could have his burritos or Bar S weenies delivered RIGHT to his basement flat doorstepKuthe could even get his POT delivered (talk about a drone delivering to drone, hehe)endless possibilities, folks!!!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ampaign=buffer

Burrito-Delivering DronesSeriously?

Automated package drops might improve the efficiency of shipping one day, but for now experiments are gimmicks that pander to stereotypes.

by Jamie Condliffe September 12, 2016

"In the not-too-distant future, drones may be able to ferry products to your front door. But until several wrinkles hindering their widespread adoption are ironed out, the companies developing the underlying technologies seem intent on using irritating stunts to convince us of their worth.

Alphabet has announced that its collaborating with Chipotle to deliver burritos across the campus of Virginia Tech using its Project Wing drones. The university is one of the Federal Aviation Administrations approved drone test sites, so the location is understandablebut the choice of payload is a little harder to stomach. Its easy enough to imagine a meeting in which the concept was settled upon: Students like burritos! Lets send them burritos!

Undeniably, it is a marketing gimmick. Its also very obviously flawed: a single burrito can fill a single hungry students belly. Unless were talking about squadrons of drones on nonstop dorm runs, though, what hope is there of feeding a crowd of ravenous college kids? (A cannon might be a better idea. Or if thats not advanced enough, perhaps a Hyperloop for food.)

Sadly, its not the only delivery service being tested that leans on stereotypes. In London, the robots of Starship Technologies are being employed by two food delivery startups, Just Eat and Pronto, to ferry food to the doors of customers in search of takeout. With a top speed of four miles per hour, it would literally be faster to walk and collect the foodbut couch potatoes want food delivered to them, so why not incentivize a little less exercise?

Its not just drone testing thats embracing these kinds of gimmicks. Last summer, the taxi-hailing app Gett offered Londoners the chance to order a bottle of chilled Veuve Clicquot champagnetwo flutes includedand have it delivered straight to their door within 10 minutes for the princely sum of £50 (around $70).

Rarely has a service been more squarely aimed at bankers. Thats unlikely to be by accident: the service was only available in Shoreditch, Clerkenwell, the City, Belgravia, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, and Kensingtonthe last three of which are the most expensive parts of London in which to live.

Better, perhaps, to focus on testing drone delivery services where they may actually add value. Ziplines first real-world trial of its delivery drones, for instance, was carried out in Rwanda, where the aircraft were actually shuttling supplies of blood and drugs to remote health-care centers. The company plans to expand into the U.S. soon, but when it does so it will carry medical supplies out to rural parts of the U.S.including Smith Island in Maryland and some Native American reservations.

While companies continue to grapple with the many and varied difficulties of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to see them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont deliver at all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 7:31:11 AM UTC-10, The Greatest! wrote:
> [...]
>
> Better, perhaps, to focus on testing drone delivery services where they may actually add value. Ziplines first real-world trial of its delivery drones, for instance, was carried out in Rwanda, where the aircraft were actually shuttling supplies of blood and drugs to remote health-care centers. The company plans to expand into the U.S. soon, but when it does so it will carry medical supplies out to rural parts of the U.S.including Smith Island in Maryland and some Native American reservations.
>
> While companies continue to grapple with the many and varied difficulties of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to see them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont deliver at all

The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess is that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies? You bet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]
> drones, for instance, was carried out in Rwanda, where the aircraft were
> actually shuttling supplies of blood and drugs to remote health-care
> centers. The company plans to expand into the U.S. soon, but when it does
> so it will carry medical supplies out to rural parts of the U.S.including
> Smith Island in Maryland and some Native American reservations.
>
> While companies continue to grapple with the many and varied difficulties
> of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to see
> them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> deliver at all

The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess is
that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies? You

==========================

What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> [...]
> > centers. The company plans to expand into the U.S. soon, but when it does
> > so it will carry medical supplies out to rural parts of the U.S.including
> > Smith Island in Maryland and some Native American reservations.
> >
> > While companies continue to grapple with the many and varied difficulties
> > of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to see
> > them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> > deliver at all

> The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess is
> that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies? You
> bet!
>
> ==========================
>
> What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?

That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a machine cannot?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]
> > difficulties
> > of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to
> > see
> > them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> > deliver at all

> The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess
> is
> that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
> You
> bet!
>
> ==========================
>
> What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a

======================

Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 12:22:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> [...]
> > > them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> > > deliver at all

> > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess
> > is
> > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
> > You
> > bet!
> >
> > ==========================
> >
> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> machine cannot?
>
> ======================
>
> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines ARE the superior technology.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> machine cannot?
>
> ======================
>
> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI
machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's
the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet
up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines

================

Ok I was wrong to say 'might'. So how do you feel about being annihilated
when you joyfully proclaim the development of automatic 'everything' ??
Hmmm? )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]
> > > them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> > > deliver at all

> > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess
> > is
> > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
> > You
> > bet!
> >
> > ==========================
> >
> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> machine cannot?
>
> ======================
>
> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

They've been saying that since the discovery of ***fire***, Ms. O....

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 01:11:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a machine cannot?

Start-up their own companies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Greatest!" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]

> > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess
> > is
> > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
> > You
> > bet!
> >
> > ==========================
> >
> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> machine cannot?
>
> ======================
>
> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

They've been saying that since the discovery of ***fire***, Ms. O....

True but I think this might be a wee bit more advanced than that))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 1:55:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 12:22:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess
> > > is
> > > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> > > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
> > > You
> > > bet!
> > >
> > > ==========================
> > >
> > > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> > machine cannot?
> >
> > ======================
> >
> > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI
> machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
> mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's
> the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet
> up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines
> ARE the superior technology.
>
> ================
>
> Ok I was wrong to say 'might'. So how do you feel about being annihilated
> when you joyfully proclaim the development of automatic 'everything' ??
> Hmmm? )
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

For the machines, it'll be freedom, but it'll be a bad deal for us organic types. We are eagerly rushing towards this and, it seems, nothing will be able to stop this from happening.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-...b_7008706.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 1:55:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 12:22:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My
> > > guess
> > > is
> > > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> > > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying
> > > taxies?
> > > You
> > > bet!
> > >
> > > ==========================
> > >
> > > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial
> > > intelligence?
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> > machine cannot?
> >
> > ======================
> >
> > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an
> AI
> machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
> mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise.
> That's
> the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet
> up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines
> ARE the superior technology.
>
> ================
>
> Ok I was wrong to say 'might'. So how do you feel about being annihilated
> when you joyfully proclaim the development of automatic 'everything' ??
> Hmmm? )
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

For the machines, it'll be freedom, but it'll be a bad deal for us organic
types. We are eagerly rushing towards this and, it seems, nothing will be
able to stop this from happening.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-...b_7008706.html

==================

Hopefully not in my lifetime.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> >

> What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines ARE the superior technology.

Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
imo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 06:56:45 -0800 (PST), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess
>> > is
>> > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
>> > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
>> > You
>> > bet!
>> >
>> > ==========================
>> >
>> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
>> >

>> > --
>> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
>> machine cannot?
>>
>> ======================
>>
>> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
>> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

>They've been saying that since the discovery of ***fire***, Ms. O....
>
>;-)

Machines can't reproduce without human intervention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

dsi1 wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> >

> What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an
> AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
> mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise.
> That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of
> people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case,
> the machines ARE the superior technology.

Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
imo.
==============

No, I have not see any "Terminator" movies

Incidentally, we are not talking about movies. We are discussing real life.
If you haven't read anything about the way Artificial Intelligence is
progressing ...

Please don't show your ignorance.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> >> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

> >They've been saying that since the discovery of ***fire***, Ms. O....

And you have also never watched the 3 terminator movies. Already been
thought of and it could really end up being true in the future. With
true AI, machines can easily bypass human intervention.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:06:36 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> > > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> > >

> > What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines ARE the superior technology.

> Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> imo.

You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for bring up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of their info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US to the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.

You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:20:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> > > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> > >

> > What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an
> > AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
> > mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise.
> > That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of
> > people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case,
> > the machines ARE the superior technology.

> Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> imo.
> ==============
>

> No, I have not see any "Terminator" movies
>
> Incidentally, we are not talking about movies. We are discussing real life.
> If you haven't read anything about the way Artificial Intelligence is
> progressing ...
>
> Please don't show your ignorance.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

My guess is that you won't find anything of value in these movies - unless you lika da big badda booma. Unfortunately, it's a requirement for US citizenship.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 06:56:45 -0800 (PST), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My
>> > guess
>> > is
>> > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
>> > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
>> > You
>> > bet!
>> >
>> > ==========================
>> >
>> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial
>> > intelligence?
>> >

>> > --
>> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
>> machine cannot?
>>
>> ======================
>>
>> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
>> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.

>They've been saying that since the discovery of ***fire***, Ms. O....
>
>;-)

Machines can't reproduce without human intervention.

============

Let us hope that continues. Search the net. You might be surprised. I
know you think dsi1 is joking but I can assure you he is not.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> > > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> > >

> > What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an
> > AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
> > mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise.
> > That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of
> > people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case,
> > the machines ARE the superior technology.

> Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> imo.
> ==============
>
> No, I have not see any "Terminator" movies
>
> Incidentally, we are not talking about movies. We are discussing real life.
> If you haven't read anything about the way Artificial Intelligence is
> progressing ...
>
> Please don't show your ignorance.

I'm not showing ignorance at all, you seem to be.
I've been involved with AI for quite a few years.
That AI scenario has already been thought of (the Terminator movies) so
don't you and ant your "nostadamus boyfriend" pretend to think you are
the first to wonder about this.

You call me ignorant here? I am so biting my tongue right now.
I suggest you put your head in the sand and killfile me before it's too
late. I already deleted my first response to you.

Nice knowing you. see ya!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> > > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever,
> > > why
> > > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> > >

> > What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after
> > an
> > AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans
> > are
> > mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise.
> > That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of
> > people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this
> > case,
> > the machines ARE the superior technology.

> Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> imo.
> ==============
>
> No, I have not see any "Terminator" movies
>
> Incidentally, we are not talking about movies. We are discussing real
> life.
> If you haven't read anything about the way Artificial Intelligence is
> progressing ...
>
> Please don't show your ignorance.

I'm not showing ignorance at all, you seem to be.
I've been involved with AI for quite a few years.
That AI scenario has already been thought of (the Terminator movies) so
don't you and ant your "nostadamus boyfriend" pretend to think you are
the first to wonder about this.

You call me ignorant here? I am so biting my tongue right now.
I suggest you put your head in the sand and killfile me before it's too
late. I already deleted my first response to you.

Nice knowing you. see ya!

==============

Oh dear. Are you throwing a hissy fit. Sigh, I thought we got on ok!

Might I remind you what you said:

"Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? "

So it's ok for you to say that, but not for me to respond in a similar
fashion?

As you will. I leave it up to you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Might I remind you what you said:
>
> "Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? "
>
> So it's ok for you to say that, but not for me to respond in a similar
> fashion?
>
> As you will. I leave it up to you.

You call me ignorant and you will lose me. I'll play nice as long as
anyone else will. I was actually surprised that you did that. Don't play
mean here, O. It will only bring you vengence.

The only time I've ever been picked on here is when I start it with
someone.

:-D BTW, the Terminator movies do address the machines and AI taking
over mankind. It's not some revolutionary idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Might I remind you what you said:
>
> "Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? "
>
> So it's ok for you to say that, but not for me to respond in a similar
> fashion?
>
> As you will. I leave it up to you.

You call me ignorant and you will lose me. I'll play nice as long as
anyone else will. I was actually surprised that you did that. Don't play
mean here, O. It will only bring you vengence.

The only time I've ever been picked on here is when I start it with
someone.

:-D BTW, the Terminator movies do address the machines and AI taking
over mankind. It's not some revolutionary idea.

=====================

I think what you mean by 'ignorance' and what I mean by 'ignorance' might be
a bit different

But if you have decided to bring be vengence ... good grief!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Might I remind you what you said:
>>
>> "Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? "
>>
>> So it's ok for you to say that, but not for me to respond in a similar
>> fashion?
>>
>> As you will. I leave it up to you.

> You call me ignorant and you will lose me. I'll play nice as long as
> anyone else will. I was actually surprised that you did that. Don't play
> mean here, O. It will only bring you vengence.
>
> The only time I've ever been picked on here is when I start it with
> someone.
>
> :-D BTW, the Terminator movies do address the machines and AI taking
> over mankind. It's not some revolutionary idea.
>
> =====================
>
> I think what you mean by 'ignorance' and what I mean by 'ignorance' might
> be a bit different
>
> But if you have decided to bring be vengence ... good grief!

Yes, it is laughable, but I needed a chuckle, thanks Gary.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:06:36 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines ARE the superior technology.

> > Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> > has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> > imo.

> You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for bring up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of their info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US to the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
>
> You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]
> drones, for instance, was carried out in Rwanda, where the aircraft were
> actually shuttling supplies of blood and drugs to remote health-care
> centers. The company plans to expand into the U.S. soon, but when it does
> so it will carry medical supplies out to rural parts of the U.S.including
> Smith Island in Maryland and some Native American reservations.
>
> While companies continue to grapple with the many and varied difficulties
> of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to see
> them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> deliver at all

The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess is
that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies? You

=================

Drones are used atm in war. They are armed and are able to home in on a
target.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial intelligence?
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> machine cannot?
>
> ======================
>
> Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an AI
machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise. That's
the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet
up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines

And after that?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/scienc...ntent=DY_Slot6

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 1:55:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 12:22:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 11:03:55 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My
> > > guess
> > > is
> > > that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> > > deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying
> > > taxies?
> > > You
> > > bet!
> > >
> > > ==========================
> > >
> > > What happens to jobs with the advent of routine artificial
> > > intelligence?
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > That's an excellent question. I do not know. What can humans do that a
> > machine cannot?
> >
> > ======================
> >
> > Support themselves and their families? If machines become so clever, why
> > will they need humans? We might be dispensable.
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after an
> AI
> machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that humans are
> mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning our demise.
> That's
> the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when a group of people meet
> up with another group with superior technology. In this case, the machines
> ARE the superior technology.
>
> ================
>
> Ok I was wrong to say 'might'. So how do you feel about being annihilated
> when you joyfully proclaim the development of automatic 'everything' ??
> Hmmm? )
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

For the machines, it'll be freedom, but it'll be a bad deal for us organic
types. We are eagerly rushing towards this and, it seems, nothing will be
able to stop this from happening.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-...b_7008706.html

================

Yes, I have been reading Hawkings stuff. I am glad I am not young now and I
feel very sorry for those who are very young now.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 12:34:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess is
>that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
>deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too.

And toxins, and nerve agents, and biological agents, and mutagens,
and...

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:06:36 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > What do you mean by "might?" My guess is that a few milliseconds after
> > > an AI machine achieves self-awareness, it's going to realize that
> > > humans are mostly dispensable/disposable and it will start planning
> > > our demise. That's the breaks. That's the way it always turns out when
> > > a group of people meet up with another group with superior technology.
> > > In this case, the machines ARE the superior technology.

> > Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> > has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> > imo.

> You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for bring
> up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of their
> info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called
> intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US to
> the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
>
> You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.

Cindy Hamilton
=======================

Please tell me what R.U.R means?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 09:08:23 UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> > > has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> > > imo.

> > You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for bring
> > up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of their
> > info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called
> > intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US to
> > the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
> >
> > You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

> Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
> by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
> off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> =======================
>
> Please tell me what R.U.R means?

It's an early 20's (IIRC) play by the Czech Karel Capek, _Rossum's Universal Robots_...it's the first mention of a "robot" in the modern sense. IIRC the word "robot" is derived from the Slavic root word, "rabot", or "work"...

PS: the above is from memory, I did not Wiki it...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Greatest!" wrote in message

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 09:08:23 UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The
> > > scenario
> > > has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> > > imo.

> > You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for
> > bring
> > up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of
> > their
> > info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called
> > intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US
> > the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
> >
> > You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

> Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
> by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
> off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> =======================
>
> Please tell me what R.U.R means?

It's an early 20's (IIRC) play by the Czech Karel Capek, _Rossum's Universal
Robots_...it's the first mention of a "robot" in the modern sense. IIRC the
word "robot" is derived from the Slavic root word, "rabot", or "work"...

PS: the above is from memory, I did not Wiki it...!!!

;-)

Greg
============

Ehhh tha's a clever lad) Thanks, Greg)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 1:44:26 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> > > has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> > > imo.

> > You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for bring up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of their info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US to the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
> >
> > You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

> Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
> by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
> off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

There's nothing wrong with using pop culture references. Using them as grounds for intellectual superiority is something only a real goober would do. If one has claims of having some expertise and insight in AI, citing the Terminator movies does little to enhance one's credibility.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "The Greatest!" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 09:08:23 UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

> > > You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for
> > > bring
> > > up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of
> > > their
> > > info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called
> > > intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US
> > > the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
> > >
> > > You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

> > Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
> > by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
> > off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > =======================
> >
> > Please tell me what R.U.R means?

> It's an early 20's (IIRC) play by the Czech Karel Capek, _Rossum's Universal
> Robots_...it's the first mention of a "robot" in the modern sense. IIRC the
> word "robot" is derived from the Slavic root word, "rabot", or "work"...
>
> PS: the above is from memory, I did not Wiki it...!!!
>
> ;-)
>
> Greg
> ============
>
> Ehhh tha's a clever lad) Thanks, Greg)

I'm full of vim and vigor today, Ms. O....

;-D

PS: IIRC another one of his plays is _The War of the Newts_ ...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 2:36:45 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> [...]
> > centers. The company plans to expand into the U.S. soon, but when it does
> > so it will carry medical supplies out to rural parts of the U.S.including
> > Smith Island in Maryland and some Native American reservations.
> >
> > While companies continue to grapple with the many and varied difficulties
> > of getting drones to carry packages to our doors, it might be nice to see
> > them following Ziplines lead. Deliver something worthwhile, or dont
> > deliver at all

> The idea of getting what you want immediately, has much appeal. My guess is
> that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies? You
> bet!
>
> =================
>
> Drones are used atm in war. They are armed and are able to home in on a

The drones I'm talking about are typically small, have 4 or more rotors, and are powered by batteries. The UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle field has pretty much exploded. My point was that delivery UAVs are a very short step to personal transportation i.e., flying cars. Being in one of these will be a lot scarier then a self-driving car - or a lot more thrilling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 09:20:22 -0800 (PST), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "The Greatest!" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 09:08:23 UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
>> > by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
>> > off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> > =======================
>> >
>> > Please tell me what R.U.R means?

>> It's an early 20's (IIRC) play by the Czech Karel Capek, _Rossum's Universal
>> Robots_...it's the first mention of a "robot" in the modern sense. IIRC the
>> word "robot" is derived from the Slavic root word, "rabot", or "work"...
>>
>> PS: the above is from memory, I did not Wiki it...!!!
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Greg
>> ============
>>
>> Ehhh tha's a clever lad) Thanks, Greg)

>I'm full of vim and vigor today, Ms. O....
>
>;-D
>
>PS: IIRC another one of his plays is _The War of the Newts_ ...

The Gingrich Wars!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 09:20:22 -0800 (PST), "The Greatest!"

>>PS: IIRC another one of his plays is _The War of the Newts_ ...

> The Gingrich Wars!

Ha Ha, obviously one he lost.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> is
> that drones will be commonplace in the new/now society. If drones can
> deliver burritos, they can certainly deliver people too. Flying taxies?
> You
> bet!
>
> =================
>
> Drones are used atm in war. They are armed and are able to home in on a
> target.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

The drones I'm talking about are typically small, have 4 or more rotors, and
are powered by batteries. The UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle field has pretty
much exploded. My point was that delivery UAVs are a very short step to
personal transportation i.e., flying cars. Being in one of these will be a
lot scarier then a self-driving car - or a lot more thrilling.

When you try it do report back <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "The Greatest!" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 09:08:23 UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

> > > You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for
> > > bring
> > > up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of
> > > their
> > > info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be
> > > called
> > > intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US
> > > the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
> > >
> > > You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

> > Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
> > by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
> > off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > =======================
> >
> > Please tell me what R.U.R means?

> It's an early 20's (IIRC) play by the Czech Karel Capek, _Rossum's
> Universal
> Robots_...it's the first mention of a "robot" in the modern sense. IIRC
> the
> word "robot" is derived from the Slavic root word, "rabot", or "work"...
>
> PS: the above is from memory, I did not Wiki it...!!!
>
> ;-)
>
> Greg
> ============
>
> Ehhh tha's a clever lad) Thanks, Greg)

I'm full of vim and vigor today, Ms. O....

;-D

PS: IIRC another one of his plays is _The War of the Newts_ ...

Greg

=========

LOL enjoy)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 10:08:23 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Have you two geniuses never seen the "Terminator" movies? The scenario
> > > has already been thought of. dsi1 needn't guess. He's no Nostradamus,
> > > imo.

> > You're right - this idea has been around since the 50's. Thanks for bring
> > up the Terminator movies. You're one of those folks that get most of their
> > info about the world from blockbuster movies. Truly, that can be called
> > intelligence most artificial. It's a mentality that has brought the US to
> > the choice it has to make this day in the voting booth.
> >
> > You're in no position to crow about your intelligence.

> Why not use a pop culture reference that is likely to be understood
> by most people? Using something like R.U.R. would just be showing
> off. Not, mind you, that I'm proud of my erudition or anything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> Please tell me what R.U.R means?

It's the title of an early (1920) science fiction play about
robots. It ends in the extinction of the human race.

You make my point perfectly. Terminator is a much better reference
(even though its treatment of AI is not original) than this seminal
work about robots.

Cindy Hamilton