Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Info On Coffee Pot

It could be a moka pot. I drink press pot coffee but I'd rather have good percolator coffee than drip coffee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-09, Dave Smith > wrote: The only

> percolators I see in use these days are the big urns for large
> groups.

Even then, they are not all percolators. I usta eat at our company's campus
cafeteria and it had one of those huge fixed 50-100 cup brewers, which I always
thought was a true percolator. Turns out it was actually a huge drip
brewer. Usta makes some of the best "French roast" coffee I've ever
tasted.

Currently, I use an old Melitta sngl cup drip brewer (nuked H2O), a
Bialetti moka pot, and a Bodum French press to brew my joe. Bottom
line: it's the fresh roasted coffee beans that makes fer great java.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-09 2:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> My guess is most folks use an automatic drip machine at home. The
> coffee filters were a great step in coffee brewing - no grounds or
> sludge on the bottom. I have a Keurig at the office. Unfortunately, I
> bought a big box of K-cups at Sam's Club. It's not very good but it
> looks like I'm stuck with it for a while. I guess I better stick with
> the house brand from Costco. It's pretty good.

I can appreciate your disappointment with the Keurig machine. I know a
couple people who have them and like them, but I don't like the coffee
they have served me from those things. There is actually a coffee shop
of sorts not too far from here that has a couple Keurig machines and a
wide selection of coffee pods. You pick out your coffee pod and take it
to the counter and they run it through their machine. Even with their
commercial machines the coffee tastes like instant.

> We had a very complex little single serve Keurig machine at the hotel
> we were at in Kauai. It made a poor cup of coffee. Getting a good cup
> of coffee at a good price is getting hard these days!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 8:25:05 AM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-09, Dave Smith > wrote: The only
>
> > percolators I see in use these days are the big urns for large
> > groups.

> Even then, they are not all percolators. I usta eat at our company's campus
> cafeteria and it had one of those huge fixed 50-100 cup brewers, which I always
> thought was a true percolator. Turns out it was actually a huge drip
> brewer. Usta makes some of the best "French roast" coffee I've ever
> tasted.
>
> Currently, I use an old Melitta sngl cup drip brewer (nuked H2O), a
> Bialetti moka pot, and a Bodum French press to brew my joe. Bottom
> line: it's the fresh roasted coffee beans that makes fer great java.
>
> nb

My guess is that you could use a percolator with no problem. It's not really the boiling of the coffee that's the problem, it's the brewing temperature. All people who live near sea level need to do is perk their coffee in vacuum chambers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 8:26:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-05-09 2:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > My guess is most folks use an automatic drip machine at home. The
> > coffee filters were a great step in coffee brewing - no grounds or
> > sludge on the bottom. I have a Keurig at the office. Unfortunately, I
> > bought a big box of K-cups at Sam's Club. It's not very good but it
> > looks like I'm stuck with it for a while. I guess I better stick with
> > the house brand from Costco. It's pretty good.

> I can appreciate your disappointment with the Keurig machine. I know a
> couple people who have them and like them, but I don't like the coffee
> they have served me from those things. There is actually a coffee shop
> of sorts not too far from here that has a couple Keurig machines and a
> wide selection of coffee pods. You pick out your coffee pod and take it
> to the counter and they run it through their machine. Even with their
> commercial machines the coffee tastes like instant.

My condolences. One can brew a good cup with a Keurig but it all depends on the K-cup. The restaurant that used to be next door used to brew a great tasting coffee - for a short period of time. I enjoyed it while it lasted which is pretty much all we can do.

> > We had a very complex little single serve Keurig machine at the hotel
> > we were at in Kauai. It made a poor cup of coffee. Getting a good cup
> > of coffee at a good price is getting hard these days!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/9/2016 11:25 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-05-09, Dave Smith > wrote: The only
>
>> percolators I see in use these days are the big urns for large
>> groups.

> Even then, they are not all percolators. I usta eat at our company's campus
> cafeteria and it had one of those huge fixed 50-100 cup brewers, which I always
> thought was a true percolator. Turns out it was actually a huge drip
> brewer. Usta makes some of the best "French roast" coffee I've ever
> tasted.
>
> Currently, I use an old Melitta sngl cup drip brewer (nuked H2O), a
> Bialetti moka pot, and a Bodum French press to brew my joe.

Wow! That sounds like a heck of a process!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-09, Taxed and Spent > wrote:

> On 5/9/2016 11:25 AM, notbob wrote:

>> Currently, I use an old Melitta sngl cup drip brewer (nuked H2O), a
>> Bialetti moka pot, and a Bodum French press to brew my joe.

> Wow! That sounds like a heck of a process!

Don't be silly, TnS.

You jes know I use each device one-at-a-time, not all at once.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-09 2:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Currently, I use an old Melitta sngl cup drip brewer (nuked H2O),
>> a Bialetti moka pot, and a Bodum French press to brew my joe.
>> Bottom line: it's the fresh roasted coffee beans that makes fer
>> great java.
>>
>> nb

> My guess is that you could use a percolator with no problem. It's not
> really the boiling of the coffee that's the problem, it's the brewing
> temperature. All people who live near sea level need to do is perk
> their coffee in vacuum chambers.

I have not seen a vacuum coffee maker in years. They were quite popular
for commercial use during the late 60s but they just sort of disappeared.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-09 4:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2016 10:10:41 -0700, Taxed and Spent

>> yep. Because it wasn't boiled.

> Percolators definitely boil the coffee, at least on this planet.

In the course of this thread I have checked it out to confirm what I
already knew about the water boiling, and several people have cited the
proof, but he seems to be hell bent on remaining willfully ignorant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/9/2016 11:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-05-09 2:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>>> Currently, I use an old Melitta sngl cup drip brewer (nuked H2O),
>>> a Bialetti moka pot, and a Bodum French press to brew my joe.
>>> Bottom line: it's the fresh roasted coffee beans that makes fer
>>> great java.
>>>
>>> nb

>> My guess is that you could use a percolator with no problem. It's not
>> really the boiling of the coffee that's the problem, it's the brewing
>> temperature. All people who live near sea level need to do is perk
>> their coffee in vacuum chambers.
>>

> I have not seen a vacuum coffee maker in years. They were quite popular
> for commercial use during the late 60s but they just sort of disappeared.

Those were pretty bizarre. They used the vacuum to draw the water
through the grinds. My brother had one. It's for when you want something
to show off during your after-dinner coffee.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

My vacuum coffee maker would work on the principal of reducing air
pressure to lower the boiling point of water by around 4 degrees C. Use
enough vacuum and you can perk your coffee at any temperature you want -
including room temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/9/2016 3:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-05-09 4:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 May 2016 10:10:41 -0700, Taxed and Spent

>>> yep. Because it wasn't boiled.

>> Percolators definitely boil the coffee, at least on this planet.
>>

> In the course of this thread I have checked it out to confirm what I
> already knew about the water boiling, and several people have cited the
> proof, but he seems to be hell bent on remaining willfully ignorant.

I have posted the operation of percolators, and yet you just want to
stick to your misunderstanding. bye bye.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/9/2016 5:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have not seen a vacuum coffee maker in years. They were quite popular
> for commercial use during the late 60s but they just sort of disappeared.

You might like this

http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...roducts/dragon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:41:55 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/9/2016 5:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > I have not seen a vacuum coffee maker in years. They were quite popular
> > for commercial use during the late 60s but they just sort of disappeared.

> You might like this
>
> http://www.lacolombe.com/collections...roducts/dragon

That's a whole lot more damn work than I wanna do for my cup of coffee!!

John Kuthe...

Info On Coffee Pot John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 52 10-05-2016 08:56 PM
Info On Coffee Pot [email protected] General Cooking 2 09-05-2016 03:02 AM
coffee info Scott Coffee 0 24-07-2004 12:16 AM
Info on your very own free Coffee Webstore selling ONLY 100% Fair Trade Coffee - you make commission on all sales - zero cost to you Greg Coffee 2 18-04-2004 07:47 PM