Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stainless steel hanging basket

I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.

I see 'em made of of chromed wire, alleged coppper, etc, but not SS.

I'd like to buy online, as we only hava WW, here.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.

Citrus should be stored in the fridge.

>I see 'em made of of chromed wire, alleged coppper, etc, but not SS.
>
>I'd like to buy online, as we only hava WW, here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 1:46:50 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.
>
> I see 'em made of of chromed wire, alleged coppper, etc, but not SS.
>
> I'd like to buy online, as we only hava WW, here.
>
> nb

Why not chromed?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2016 11:46 AM, notbob wrote:
> I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.
>
> I see 'em made of of chromed wire, alleged coppper, etc, but not SS.
>
> I'd like to buy online, as we only hava WW, here.
>
> nb

Well away you go!

Not stainless per se, but chrome - which functionally should be the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Brands... 8339&sr=1-23

http://www.amazon.com/DecoBros-3-Tie... HZ69BZ94SVM6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2016 12:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.

> Citrus should be stored in the fridge.

Depends on how fast it's to be consumed.

After all, the stupidmarket doesn't sell them in refrigerated cases.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2016 2:44 PM, onglet wrote:
> On 4/3/2016 12:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> notbob wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.

>> Citrus should be stored in the fridge.
>>

> Depends on how fast it's to be consumed.
>
> After all, the stupidmarket doesn't sell them in refrigerated cases.

I've had varying results with citrus. Generally good for a week or more
on the counter, four or more in the fridge. I've had a couple of pieces
go bad only a few days from picking and shipped to me from Florida. I
kave no idea how old the typical market stuff is but fresh is better. .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>onglet wrote:
notbob wrote
>> I'm looking fer one. Ta' hold the doz oranges I jes bought.
>> I see 'em made of of chromed wire, alleged coppper, etc, but not SS.
>> I'd like to buy online, as we only hava WW, here.

>Not stainless per se, but chrome - which functionally should be the same:

An ordinary plastic mesh bag would work just fine... the mesh bag the
oranges were sold in would work better than anything else. But
whenever I buy citrus I wash them well and store them in my fridge...
Vitamin C dissipates rapidly at room temperature... hanging citrus up
high by ones ceiling where it's warmest is the worst of all possible
choices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2016 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 17:09:36 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Vitamin C dissipates rapidly at room temperature... hanging citrus up
>> high by ones ceiling where it's warmest is the worst of all possible
>> choices.

> Ah, yes. Another one of those Sheldonesque fictitious facts. That
> totally explains why orange trees are best grown in the arctic
> climates.
>
> -sw

LOL Watch out! Your Vitamin C is escaping!

How does Sheldon know where the warmest point in notbob's kitchen is?

I do have to wonder, though, why nb wants a hanging basket (regardless
of metal) for hanging oranges. Something asthetic?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 8:32:18 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 4/3/2016 5:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 17:09:36 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >> Vitamin C dissipates rapidly at room temperature... hanging citrus up
> >> high by ones ceiling where it's warmest is the worst of all possible
> >> choices.

> > Ah, yes. Another one of those Sheldonesque fictitious facts. That
> > totally explains why orange trees are best grown in the arctic
> > climates.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> LOL Watch out! Your Vitamin C is escaping!
>
> How does Sheldon know where the warmest point in notbob's kitchen is?

He can't know the exact warmest point, but since hot air rises, the
ceiling is generally warmer than the floor. Or the countertop.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 8:32:18 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

> How does Sheldon know where the warmest point in notbob's kitchen is?

Is the fridge the warmest place in an Eskimo's kitchen?

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>Jill McQuown wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:

>> > Ah, yes. Another one of those Sheldonesque fictitious facts. That
>> > totally explains why orange trees are best grown in the arctic
>> > climates.
>> >

>> LOL Watch out! Your Vitamin C is escaping!
>>
>> How does Sheldon know where the warmest point in notbob's kitchen is?

>He can't know the exact warmest point, but since hot air rises, the
>ceiling is generally warmer than the floor. Or the countertop.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

'Zactly... even a cat knows warm air rises.
http://www.wikihow.com/Store-Citrus-Fruit
http://www.seattletimes.com/life/foo...-make-it-last/
Wash citrus in plain water and dry throughly with a clean towel as
soon as it's brought home, and then store in fridge one layer deep so
they are not touching, do not stack or the pressure will trigger
molding to begin at the point of contact... do not store in plastic
bags! Even cut citrus, such as lemons/limes should not be stored in
plastic bags in the fridge, the cut surface will dry and seal itself.
It's best to buy no more citrus than one can consume within a week...
those bulk bags on sale are no bargain if some need to be thrown away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2016 12:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> But neither of those links says anything about storing citrus

I have been stuffing my fat little ****ing face again with food I
'borrowed' from:

https://www.austinfoodbank.org/news/...unteer-quarter

OK I admit it, I am eating my way through Texas.

Make me a zip code, or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking