Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More on lentils

What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes

The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
anything with beetroot! Ive disliked them intensely since childhood.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:25:04 -0600, graham > wrote:

> What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes
>
> The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
> anything with beetroot! I’ve disliked them intensely since childhood.
> Graham

If you like the recipe, but don't like the beetroot - why don't you
just eliminate it? It's only a garnish. Use something else or don't
use anything at all. Tomatoes and lentils belong together and they'd
do well with the seasonings in that dish, so you could sub them.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/03/2016 12:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:25:04 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!
>>
>> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes
>>
>> The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
>> anything with beetroot! I’ve disliked them intensely since childhood.
>> Graham

> If you like the recipe, but don't like the beetroot - why don't you
> just eliminate it? It's only a garnish. Use something else or don't
> use anything at all. Tomatoes and lentils belong together and they'd
> do well with the seasonings in that dish, so you could sub them.

I suppose so. However, when I see beetroot in a recipe, I automatically
skip it - it's a sort of pavlovian reaction.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:25:04 -0600, graham > wrote:

>What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!
>
>http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes
>
>The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
>anything with beetroot! I’ve disliked them intensely since childhood.
>Graham

Both of those recipes look really, really good. I've saved them in my
recipes folder and will be making them soon. I have all of the
necessary ingredients.

Thanks so much for posting that link.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes
>
> The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
> anything with beetroot! Ive disliked them intensely since childhood.
> Graham

I love beets but not so fond of lentils. I could eat them if I had to but
they seriously spike my blood sugar unless it is just a few of them in a
soup with other things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes

> The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
> anything with beetroot! I?ve disliked them intensely since childhood.
> Graham

ooooh thanks for that. I love lentils AND beetroot :-)

Do you get any of Nigel Slater's cooking shows on TV over there? Well
worth watching if you get chance, he's a great cook.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/03/2016 2:11 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
>>
>> What a coincidence writing on the surfeit of lentils in the cupboard!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...lentil-recipes

>> The first recipe with the cheese sauce looks delicious but I avoid
>> anything with beetroot! I?ve disliked them intensely since childhood.
>> Graham

> ooooh thanks for that. I love lentils AND beetroot :-)
>
> Do you get any of Nigel Slater's cooking shows on TV over there? Well
> worth watching if you get chance, he's a great cook.
>
> Janet UK

I have seen him on a channel to which I don't subscribe (it was a
month-long freebie). This month the freebie has a lot of Jamie Oliver.
Otherwise, the cooking shows are all effing competitions.
A friend shared the following recipe with me after I told her of my version:

VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD'S PIE

Serves: 6
€¢ 1 cup cooked lentils (optional)*
€¢ 2 cloves garlic
€¢ 1 yellow onion
€¢ 1 Tbsp olive oil
€¢ 3 carrots
€¢ 2 stalks celery
€¢ 8 oz. button mushrooms
€¢ ¾ tsp salt
€¢ 1 tsp dried thyme
€¢ ½ tsp smoked paprika
€¢ Freshly cracked pepper
€¢ 1 Tbsp tomato paste
€¢ 1 Tbsp flour
€¢ 1 cup vegetable broth
€¢ 1 cup frozen peas
€¢ 4 cups mashed potatoes

1. Mince the garlic and dice the onion. Sauté the onion and garlic with
olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the onions are soft
and transparent (3-5 minutes).
2. While the onions and garlic are cooking, peel and dice the carrots,
dice the celery, and slice the mushrooms. Once the onions are soft, add
the carrots and celery to the skillet and continue to sauté until the
celery begins to soften slightly (5 minutes).
3. Finally, add the mushrooms, salt, thyme, smoked paprika, and freshly
cracked pepper to the skillet. Continue to sauté until the mushrooms
have fully softened (3-5 minutes). Add the tomato paste and flour to the
skillet. Stir and cook the vegetables with the flour and tomato paste
until the vegetables are coated and the pasty mixture begins to coat the
bottom of the skillet (about 2 minutes).
4. Add the vegetable broth to the skillet, stirring to dissolve the
flour and tomato paste from the bottom of the skillet. Allow the broth
to come up to a simmer, at which point it will become slightly thicker.
Stir in the cooked lentils and frozen peas, and allow to mixture to heat
through.
5. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Pour the vegetable mixture into a
casserole dish, or use your skillet if it is oven safe. Spread the
mashed potatoes out over the surface of the vegetables and gravy. Use
your spoon to make a decorative pattern in the mashed potatoes, if desired.
6. Bake the shepherd's pie in the fully preheated oven for 15 minutes,
or until everything is heated through. To achieve a browned surface on
the mashed potatoes (optional), turn on the oven's broiler (and place
the pie under it, if not already), and watch closely until the top has
browned to your liking.

*Using cooked lentils is optional, but the number of servings will be
closer to four without them. It should take approximately …“ cup dry
lentils to make 1 cup cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-13 2:47 PM, graham wrote:

>> If you like the recipe, but don't like the beetroot - why don't you
>> just eliminate it? It's only a garnish. Use something else or don't
>> use anything at all. Tomatoes and lentils belong together and they'd
>> do well with the seasonings in that dish, so you could sub them.
>>

> I suppose so. However, when I see beetroot in a recipe, I automatically
> skip it - it's a sort of pavlovian reaction.

You and my wife. She will eat just about anything, but beet root is one
of very few things that she really, really dislikes. Considering the
range of things that she likes, I really don't understand it. When I was
a kid we often had beets. They were not my favourite, but I did not
dislike them. Having been married for over 40 years to someone who
won't eat them, I rarely have them, and I have to admit that when I do
have them I enjoy them. I was somewhat surprised to discover that my
son likes them, especially when they are pickled. He never had them
growing up in our house.

My wife finally agreed to try them in a recipe I came across a year or
two ago. It was in a salad that had roasted beets and blue cheese.

Lentils -- no thanks mkr5000 General Cooking 36 22-12-2011 03:15 PM
black or green lentils - difference between these and brown lentils? Kalmia General Cooking 12 03-06-2011 06:05 AM
Somebody try my lentils! cybercat General Cooking 95 20-08-2009 04:00 AM
LENTILS General Cooking 50 04-04-2006 08:44 AM
Lentils Taemon Vegan 0 10-11-2005 05:29 PM