FoodBanter.com

-   -   "A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man." (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/435997-bottle-your-second-cheapest.html)

Opinicus[_3_] 25-01-2016 10:33 AM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
episode of "Tonight":

A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of

Nancy Young[_8_] 25-01-2016 02:08 PM

On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> episode of "Tonight":
>
> A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
>
> http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
a name for it.

nancy

Gregory Morrow[_418_] 25-01-2016 03:55 PM

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> > Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> > episode of "Tonight":
> >
> > A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> > another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> > average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> > Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> > prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> > selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> > will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> > shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
> >
> > http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> a name for it.

Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)

I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your money...all grocery stores do this to some extent.

Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

--
Best
Greg -->> "gullible"

Nancy Young[_8_] 25-01-2016 04:04 PM

On 1/25/2016 9:55 AM, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
>>> Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
>>> episode of "Tonight":
>>>
>>> A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
>>> another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
>>> average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
>>> Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
>>> prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
>>> selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
>>> will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
>>> shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
>>>
>>> http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

>> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
>> a name for it.

> Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
>
> I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing very
> "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for

your money...
> all grocery stores do this to some extent.

And appliance stores and department stores and ...

> Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with
> something two dollars more...

It works! Heh.

nancy

John Kuthe[_3_] 25-01-2016 04:44 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:12:07 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> > Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> > episode of "Tonight":
> >
> > A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> > another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> > average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> > Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> > prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> > selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> > will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> > shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
> >
> > http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> a name for it.
>
> nancy

It's called marketing! Being sold to! Think for yourself. Some say "think outside the box", I say there in no box!! Retailers are trying to box you in to further their agenda! The only way to win this game is to not play their game!! I always feel like I'm in shackles in a grocery store! Chained to THEIR game!! **** that!! I'll buy what *I* want to buy!! And it's not most of what YOU are selling!!!

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe[_3_] 25-01-2016 04:45 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 8:55:36 AM UTC-6, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> > > Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> > > episode of "Tonight":
> > >
> > > A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> > > another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> > > average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> > > Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> > > prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> > > selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> > > will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> > > shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
> > >
> > > http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

> > That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> > a name for it.
> >

> Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
>
> I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your money...all grocery stores do this to some extent.
>
> Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg -->> "gullible"

They GOT you!! :-(

John Kuthe...

MisterDiddyWahDiddy 25-01-2016 05:12 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:12:07 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> > Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> > episode of "Tonight":
> >
> > A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> > another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> > average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> > Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> > prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> > selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> > will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> > shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
> >
> > http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> a name for it.

I can always get a bottle of a good, local Missouri sweet wine for under $8..
I like water better with delicate food, and beer with more robust food.

> nancy

--Bryan

sf[_9_] 25-01-2016 05:24 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:55:24 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

> Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

If you were looking for a cooking wine, you wasted your money. If you
plan to drink it, you made a wise choice.

--

sf

sf[_9_] 25-01-2016 05:24 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:04:18 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 1/25/2016 9:55 AM, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> >> a name for it.

> > Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
> >
> > I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing very
> > "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for

> your money...
> > all grocery stores do this to some extent.

> And appliance stores and department stores and ...
>
> > Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with
> > something two dollars more...

> It works! Heh.

Only if people don't know which end is up.

--

sf

John Kuthe[_3_] 25-01-2016 05:41 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 10:12:10 AM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:12:07 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:
> > On 1/25/2016 4:33 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> > > Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> > > episode of "Tonight":
> > >
> > > A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> > > another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> > > average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> > > Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> > > prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> > > selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> > > will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> > > shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
> > >
> > > http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

> > That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> > a name for it.
> >

> I can always get a bottle of a good, local Missouri sweet wine for under $8.
> I like water better with delicate food, and beer with more robust food.
> >
> > nancy

> --Bryan

Sweet wines are for children, not that children should be drinking alcohol!

And water is the BEST beverage!! Mostly what I drink, daily! 1/2 gallon a day, more in warmer months.

John Kuthe...

MisterDiddyWahDiddy 25-01-2016 06:04 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 10:41:35 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 10:12:10 AM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

> > > That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> > > a name for it.
> > >

> > I can always get a bottle of a good, local Missouri sweet wine for under $8.
> > I like water better with delicate food, and beer with more robust food.
> > >
> > > nancy

> > --Bryan

> Sweet wines are for children, not that children should be drinking alcohol!

Sweet wines are for long walks through the forest; they're for wine spritzers
on a hot summer day. They go great with fresh fruit, nuts and cheeses.

Yummy. http://www.montelle.com/wine-store/r...house-red.html

> And water is the BEST beverage!! Mostly what I drink, daily! 1/2 gallon a day, more in warmer months.

Water doesn't alter the flavor of food.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

brooklyn1 25-01-2016 06:05 PM

Gregory Morrow wrote:
>Nancy Young wrote:
>>Opinicus wrote:
>> > Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
>> > episode of "Tonight":
>> >
>> > A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
>> > another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
>> > average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
>> > Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
>> > prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
>> > selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
>> > will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
>> > shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.
>> >
>> > http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-21/s...trade-tonight/

>> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
>> a name for it.

>Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
>I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing
>very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your
>money...all grocery stores do this to some extent. Anyways, I went in looking
>for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
cheap wino swill.

MisterDiddyWahDiddy 25-01-2016 06:18 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:05:11 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >Nancy Young wrote:

> >> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> >> a name for it.

> >Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
> >I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing
> >very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your
> >money...all grocery stores do this to some extent. Anyways, I went in looking
> >for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

> I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
> Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
> do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
> wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
> cheap wino swill.

That drink is better with cleaner, and admittedly a bit higher priced
vodka. It's also better with a little fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
(and optionally, a little sweetener) added, but Fresca is a good mixer
for vodka.

--Bryan

John Kuthe[_3_] 25-01-2016 06:28 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:04:25 AM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 10:41:35 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> > > I can always get a bottle of a good, local Missouri sweet wine for under $8.
> > > I like water better with delicate food, and beer with more robust food.

> > > --Bryan

> > Sweet wines are for children, not that children should be drinking alcohol!
> >

> Sweet wines are for long walks through the forest; they're for wine spritzers
> on a hot summer day. They go great with fresh fruit, nuts and cheeses.
>
> Yummy. http://www.montelle.com/wine-store/r...house-red.html
> >
> > And water is the BEST beverage!! Mostly what I drink, daily! 1/2 gallon a day, more in warmer months.
> >

> Water doesn't alter the flavor of food.
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> --Bryan

Sweet wines are like what my baking buddy Scott used to call my cream and sugar in my coffee: little girl's coffee! Sweet wines are for little girls too. Sweet wines are made by either adding sugar to the grape juice pre and sometimes even post fermentation!! A "real" wine is made by fermenting the juice until the alcohol content kills the fermentation yeasts, then it is "done"! Or until the fermentation yeasts run out of natural sugars to eat!! Either way, the yeasts die and fermentation stops.

John Kuthe...

cibola de oro 25-01-2016 06:40 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:05:11 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
>>> I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing
>>> very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your
>>> money...all grocery stores do this to some extent. Anyways, I went in looking
>>> for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

>> I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
>> Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
>> do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
>> wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
>> cheap wino swill.

> That drink is better with cleaner, and admittedly a bit higher priced
> vodka. It's also better with a little fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
> (and optionally, a little sweetener) added, but Fresca is a good mixer
> for vodka.
>
> --Bryan

Wow, alky advice...

cibola de oro 25-01-2016 06:41 PM

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
> Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
> do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
> wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
> cheap wino swill.

Besotted alky talk...

cibola de oro 25-01-2016 06:44 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> I can always get a bottle of a good, local Missouri sweet wine for under $8.

MD 20/20 is a Missouri product?

cibola de oro 25-01-2016 06:45 PM

John Kuthe wrote:
> The only way to win this game is to not play their game!! I always feel like I'm in shackles in a grocery store! Chained to THEIR game!! **** that!! I'll buy what*I* want to buy!!

Yeah...WHERE?

Go on then, tell us WHERE you'll do that, you scrotum shaving pedophile!

graham[_4_] 25-01-2016 06:46 PM

On 25/01/2016 9:24 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:55:24 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> > wrote:
>
>> Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...
>>

> If you were looking for a cooking wine, you wasted your money. If you
> plan to drink it, you made a wise choice.

One is supposed to use the same wine for both drinking with and cooking
in that dish:-)
I had a cookbook that had a recipe for Duck Margaux. That is a duck
casserole where the cooking wine was a whole bottle of Chateau Margaux.
That wine often goes for around $1000 per bottle!!
I let that book go with my ex when we split:-)
Graham

--
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid
people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

John Kuthe[_3_] 25-01-2016 06:51 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:45:36 AM UTC-6, cibola de oro wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > The only way to win this game is to not play their game!! I always feel like I'm in shackles in a grocery store! Chained to THEIR game!! **** that!! I'll buy what*I* want to buy!!

> Yeah...WHERE?
>
> Go on then, tell us WHERE you'll do that, you scrotum shaving pedophile!

Wherever I shop! I strive always to eschew marketing ploys.

Why am I talking to a SOCK PUPPET? Get a real name if you want any kind of credibility!!

John Kuthe...

graham[_4_] 25-01-2016 06:51 PM

On 25/01/2016 10:28 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

>Sweet wines are made by either adding sugar to the grape juice pre and
>sometimes even post fermentation!!

What a load of ********! Look up Sauternes, Icewine and the German Ausleses.
Graham

cibola de oro 25-01-2016 07:02 PM

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:45:36 AM UTC-6, cibola de oro wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> The only way to win this game is to not play their game!! I always feel like I'm in shackles in a grocery store! Chained to THEIR game!! **** that!! I'll buy what*I* want to buy!!

>> Yeah...WHERE?
>>
>> Go on then, tell us WHERE you'll do that, you scrotum shaving pedophile!

> Wherever I shop! I strive always to eschew marketing ploys.

You hypocrite, you DO shop in grocery stores!

Go shave yer scrotum again, pedo-****er!

cibola de oro 25-01-2016 07:02 PM

graham wrote:
> On 25/01/2016 10:28 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

>> Sweet wines are made by either adding sugar to the grape juice pre and
>> sometimes even post fermentation!!

> What a load of ********!

Just right to teabag your marxist face with.

osmium 25-01-2016 07:32 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

"Opinicus" wrote"

> Paraphrasing from the recent "Supermarkets: The tricks of the trade"
> episode of "Tonight":
>
> A supermarket sells two kinds of wine, one for £ 3.79 (Brand A) and
> another for £ 4.49 (Brand B), which differ only in quality. On
> average, about two-thirds of customers buy Brand A and one-third buy
> Brand B. Problem: Increase total turnover without cutting or raising
> prices. Solution: Introduce a third and better kind of wine (Brand C)
> selling at £ 9.99. It turns out that even though very few customers
> will buy Brand C, about half of those who used to buy Brand A will
> shift to Brand B, thereby increasing total turnover.

The Montgomery Ward catalog had three qualities for a great many of their
products and they were called Good, Better and Best. I wonder if they may
have been early adopters of this technique.

Ed Pawlowski 25-01-2016 07:35 PM

On 1/25/2016 11:41 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> Sweet wines are for children, not that children should be drinking alcohol!
>
> And water is the BEST beverage!! Mostly what I drink, daily! 1/2 gallon a day, more in warmer months.
>
> John Kuthe...

When we were kids, it was a big treat at a holiday dinner to have a few
ounces of Mogen David wine. OMG, that is so sweet. I've learned to
appreciate better wines for meals.

Agree on the water. Still the best drink. At lunch I have 1 to 1 1/2
liters. First thing I drink in the morning, last thing before going to
bed at night.

Helpful person 25-01-2016 07:49 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> If you were looking for a cooking wine, you wasted your money. If you
> plan to drink it, you made a wise choice.
>
> --
>
> sf

Not true. A cheap wine will ruin a good dish. The usual problem is acid or tannin.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Helpful person 25-01-2016 07:52 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 12:46:30 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> I had a cookbook that had a recipe for Duck Margaux. That is a duck
> casserole where the cooking wine was a whole bottle of Chateau Margaux.
> That wine often goes for around $1000 per bottle!!
> I let that book go with my ex when we split:-)
> Graham

That's a complete waste of money. The nuances of such a wine are completely lost in cooking. It also sounds like too much Claret for a duck.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Helpful person 25-01-2016 07:54 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 12:51:31 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 25/01/2016 10:28 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

> >Sweet wines are made by either adding sugar to the grape juice pre and
> >sometimes even post fermentation!!

> What a load of ********! Look up Sauternes, Icewine and the German Ausleses.
> Graham

Three very fine desert wines. And there are others.

http://www.richardfisher.com

John Kuthe[_3_] 25-01-2016 08:12 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 12:35:30 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/25/2016 11:41 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

> > Sweet wines are for children, not that children should be drinking alcohol!
> >
> > And water is the BEST beverage!! Mostly what I drink, daily! 1/2 gallon a day, more in warmer months.
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> When we were kids, it was a big treat at a holiday dinner to have a few
> ounces of Mogen David wine. OMG, that is so sweet. I've learned to
> appreciate better wines for meals.

Yep, made us feel so grown up too!

> Agree on the water. Still the best drink. At lunch I have 1 to 1 1/2
> liters. First thing I drink in the morning, last thing before going to
> bed at night.

Absolutely! After all, water is the basis of everything we drink anyway, so why not just drink the best stuff! Pure clean delicious WATER!! YUM!!

John Kuthe...

Ed Pawlowski 25-01-2016 08:47 PM

On 1/25/2016 1:49 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>>>

>> If you were looking for a cooking wine, you wasted your money. If you
>> plan to drink it, you made a wise choice.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> Not true. A cheap wine will ruin a good dish. The usual problem is acid or tannin.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

What do you consider cheap? $5 or less $15 or less? I find $10 and up
to be great for cooking and usually pretty good for drinking. More
expensive is usually better, but as the price goes up the value
increases much slower. True of pretty much everything.

Bruce[_26_] 25-01-2016 08:55 PM

On 26/1/2016 03:24 sf wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:55:24 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> > wrote:
>
>> Anyways, I went in looking for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...
>>

> If you were looking for a cooking wine, you wasted your money. If you
> plan to drink it, you made a wise choice.

In my experience, there are good cheap wines, but you have to drink and
discard a lot of bad ones to find them.

--
Bruce

Janet 25-01-2016 09:01 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

In article >,
says...

> On 1/25/2016 11:41 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

> > Sweet wines are for children, not that children should be drinking alcohol!
> >
> > And water is the BEST beverage!! Mostly what I drink, daily! 1/2 gallon a day, more in warmer months.
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> When we were kids, it was a big treat at a holiday dinner to have a few
> ounces of Mogen David wine. OMG, that is so sweet. I've learned to
> appreciate better wines for meals.
>
> Agree on the water. Still the best drink. At lunch I have 1 to 1 1/2
> liters.

You drink three pints of water at lunch?

Janet

Helpful person 25-01-2016 09:09 PM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 2:47:43 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/25/2016 1:49 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> >>>
> >> If you were looking for a cooking wine, you wasted your money. If you
> >> plan to drink it, you made a wise choice.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> sf

> > Not true. A cheap wine will ruin a good dish. The usual problem is acid or tannin.
> >
> > http://www.richardfisher.com
> >

> What do you consider cheap? $5 or less $15 or less? I find $10 and up
> to be great for cooking and usually pretty good for drinking. More
> expensive is usually better, but as the price goes up the value
> increases much slower. True of pretty much everything.

It depends on how much wine I'm using. If it's close to a bottle I'll spend about $12-$14. The wine cost is smallish compared to the other ingredients. If I'm using only about a cup I'll spend about $20 as I'll be drinking the rest.

You're right though, as the wine price increases the return in better taste (for cooking) diminishes. You're cost of $10 is a good compromise.

http://www.richardfisher.com

graham[_4_] 25-01-2016 09:30 PM

On 25/01/2016 11:52 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 12:46:30 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>
>> I had a cookbook that had a recipe for Duck Margaux. That is a duck
>> casserole where the cooking wine was a whole bottle of Chateau Margaux.
>> That wine often goes for around $1000 per bottle!!
>> I let that book go with my ex when we split:-)
>> Graham
>>

> That's a complete waste of money. The nuances of such a wine are

completely lost in cooking. It also sounds like too much Claret for a duck.

Obviously a ridiculous recipe. It was in a book written by a famous French
chef but I can neither remember his name nor the details of the recipe.
Graham

graham[_4_] 25-01-2016 09:32 PM

On 25/01/2016 1:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 20:01:32 -0000, Janet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> When we were kids, it was a big treat at a holiday dinner to have a few
>>> ounces of Mogen David wine. OMG, that is so sweet. I've learned to
>>> appreciate better wines for meals.
>>>
>>> Agree on the water. Still the best drink. At lunch I have 1 to 1 1/2
>>> liters.

>> You drink three pints of water at lunch?

> I drink between 1.5 and 2 gallons of water a day.

I think that qualifies you as a ****-artist:-)
Graham

Gregory Morrow[_418_] 25-01-2016 09:59 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >Nancy Young wrote:

> >> That is a tactic that is used for many things, I'm sure there is
> >> a name for it.

> >Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
> >I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing
> >very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your
> >money...all grocery stores do this to some extent. Anyways, I went in looking
> >for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

> I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
> Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
> do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
> wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
> cheap wino swill.

Just between you and me, I much prefer the likse of Crystal Palace to that cheap wino swill... ;-)

--
Best
Greg

brooklyn1 25-01-2016 11:12 PM

"A bottle of your second-cheapest wine, my good man."

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:59:09 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>> >Hmmmm...in the bar and resto biz it's sometimes called "upselling"... ;-)
>> >I visited Trader Joe's yesterday, and I noticed that they do this sort of thing
>> >very "subtly" - of course ensuring that you are getting "top value" for your
>> >money...all grocery stores do this to some extent. Anyways, I went in looking
>> >for a bottle of their "$2.99 Chuck", but left with something two dollars more...

>> I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
>> Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
>> do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
>> wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
>> cheap wino swill.

>Just between you and me, I much prefer the likse of Crystal Palace to that cheap wino swill... ;-)

'Zactly... vodka has a clean taste and you can change the vintage with
different sodas... Fresca is good but so is Sprite, and 7Up cranberry,
etc. And naturally different fruits; lemon, lime, orange... if one is
constipated prepare a pile driver with vodka and prune juice LOL

Groupkillas 26-01-2016 12:13 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> Total turnover has not changed one

You criminally STALK and ABUSE women, you sick little dwarfy man!

Here's what you did when you went all over the Usenet impersonating the
well-liked regular named "sf" and posting all her personal data on the
net against her will, including her:

* home address
* age
* cell phone number
* husband's name

etc.

YOU did that, you evil *******!

And then you had the hubris to actually GLOAT about in public saying:

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that you literally stalked poor Omelet, a local Auustin
favorite, right off the Usenet!

In your worst moment ever you actually begged her to KILL you:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Then after having your nose rubbed in your filthy criminal stalking you
came back with, not an apology, nor the slightest remorse, just this:

"The facebook group is much more pleasant."

But we all know that's only because you cower over there in mortal fear
of being booted by the FB admins.

You're _so done_ here virus, I mean really ****ing done.

I'm making you a project like no other, expect a lot more of your evil
abuse and hatred to be aired for all to see here.

And we both know there's a google archive full of your hatred of women
just waiting to be hung out on the virtual clothesline to dry.

Enjoy then, you rotten, worthless misogynistic *******!

Groupkillas 26-01-2016 12:15 AM

John Kuthe[_3_] 26-01-2016 01:44 AM

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:12:36 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:59:09 -0800 (PST), Gregory Morrow
> > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon wrote:

> >> I would have left with a case of 1.75 L bottles of Crystal Palace
> >> Vodka, $14.99 per with a 10% discount for buying the case of six. I'd
> >> do much better knocking down the alcohol content of vodka to that of
> >> wine with ice and Fresca with a wedge of lemon/lime than drinking
> >> cheap wino swill.

> >Just between you and me, I much prefer the likse of Crystal Palace to that cheap wino swill... ;-)

> 'Zactly... vodka has a clean taste and you can change the vintage with
> different sodas... Fresca is good but so is Sprite, and 7Up cranberry,
> etc. And naturally different fruits; lemon, lime, orange... if one is
> constipated prepare a pile driver with vodka and prune juice LOL

The best vodkas have no flavor at all. Basically just ethanol and water.

John Kuthe...