Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gnocchi

I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
grated Parmesan. It was great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2015 3:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
> Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
> had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
> used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
> grated Parmesan. It was great.

I really like the truffle flavoured ones. If you ever have left over
mashed potato, gnocchi are dead easy to make.
Graham

--
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:55:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
> Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
> had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
> used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
> grated Parmesan. It was great.

I thought you made them yourself.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, graham >
wrote:

> On 12/11/2015 3:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
> > Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
> > had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
> > used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
> > grated Parmesan. It was great.

> I really like the truffle flavoured ones. If you ever have left over
> mashed potato, gnocchi are dead easy to make.
> Graham

There are more varieties of gnocchi than those made with potatoes. My
family's recipe was from the mother of a schoolmate of my aunt who was
either from northern Italy or Ticino in Switzerland. It uses flour,
eggs, butter, cheese, and water. If there's any interest I'll post the
recipe.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
>Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We had
>it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then used
>the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh grated
>Parmesan. It was great.

I have tried that kind and did not like it. Came out sort of gummy. My
Italian in-laws said not to buy that kind and to make it fresh. Not sure I
have ever had it fresh. Have had it in a restaurant and it was gummy there
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:07:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
> >Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We had
> >it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then used
> >the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh grated
> >Parmesan. It was great.

> I have tried that kind and did not like it. Came out sort of gummy. My
> Italian in-laws said not to buy that kind and to make it fresh. Not sure I
> have ever had it fresh. Have had it in a restaurant and it was gummy there
> too.

I've never had a potato gnocchi I liked, even when the restaurant
claims it's house made - but the house made ricotta gnocchi I had was
etheral and I want to try making it someday.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:07:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
>>Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We had
>>it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then used
>>the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh grated
>>Parmesan. It was great.

>I have tried that kind and did not like it. Came out sort of gummy. My
>Italian in-laws said not to buy that kind and to make it fresh. Not sure I
>have ever had it fresh. Have had it in a restaurant and it was gummy there
>too.

That's because it's machine made, mass produced in a factory from the
crapiest ingredients... for gnocchi to be good it must be homemade.
Very few restaurants nowadays prepare anything on the premises that
they can buy factory made. People would be amazed at what restaurants
keep in their freezer that they pass off as homemade. There are huge
wholesalers everywhere for every cuisine. A major supplier for this
area sells wholesale and retail:
http://www.ginsbergs.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2015 7:18 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
> In article >, graham >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2015 3:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
>>> Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
>>> had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
>>> used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
>>> grated Parmesan. It was great.

>> I really like the truffle flavoured ones. If you ever have left over
>> mashed potato, gnocchi are dead easy to make.
>> Graham

> There are more varieties of gnocchi than those made with potatoes. My
> family's recipe was from the mother of a schoolmate of my aunt who was
> either from northern Italy or Ticino in Switzerland. It uses flour,
> eggs, butter, cheese, and water. If there's any interest I'll post the
> recipe.
>
> D.M.

Yes please! I have several recipes but that one looks interesting.
Graham

--
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness,
disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in
witnessing violence." George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 2:55:30 PM UTC-8, Dave Smith wrote:
> I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
> Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
> had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
> used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
> grated Parmesan. It was great.

Since I stopped eating gluten I haven't even thought about making gnocchi. Your post stirred a craving so I started looking for gluten free recipes. Found this one. It looks very interesting with the garlic.

http://gourmandelle.com/how-to-make-...-free-gnocchi/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:07:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
>>> Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We had
>>> it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then used
>>> the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh grated
>>> Parmesan. It was great.

>> I have tried that kind and did not like it. Came out sort of gummy. My
>> Italian in-laws said not to buy that kind and to make it fresh. Not sure I
>> have ever had it fresh. Have had it in a restaurant and it was gummy there
>> too.

> I've never had a potato gnocchi I liked, even when the restaurant
> claims it's house made - but the house made ricotta gnocchi I had was
> etheral and I want to try making it someday.

Whoa, ricotta gnocci?

Yes please!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 3:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I confess. I had it for the first time last night. Last week I was in an
> Italian deli and bought a package of fresh <?>gnocchi off the shelf. We
> had it last night. I sauteed some shrimp in butter with garlic and then
> used the butter as a base for a white sauce to which I added some fresh
> grated Parmesan. It was great.

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the €śalleged€ť lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty €“ I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment €“ but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal €“ GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimers Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family €“ a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gnocchi recipe for Graham

In article >, graham >
wrote:

> On 12/11/2015 7:18 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
> > In article >, graham >
> > wrote:

> >> I really like the truffle flavoured ones. If you ever have left over
> >> mashed potato, gnocchi are dead easy to make.
> >> Graham

> > There are more varieties of gnocchi than those made with potatoes. My
> > family's recipe was from the mother of a schoolmate of my aunt who was
> > either from northern Italy or Ticino in Switzerland. It uses flour,
> > eggs, butter, cheese, and water. If there's any interest I'll post the
> > recipe.
> >
> > D.M.
> >

> Yes please! I have several recipes but that one looks interesting.
> Graham

Lina's Gnocchi

2 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1/2 lb butter
5 eggs
1/2 cup grated cheese- Parmigiano or Asiago

Bring salted water to a boil. Add butter and when melted add flour.
Remove from stove. Stir until mixture rolls off the side if the pot and
sort of a ball. Cool. Stir in cheese and then add eggs, one at a time,
mixing in each before adding the next one. Bring a pot of water to boil.
Take a table spoon and scoop a ball of gnocchi dough and drop it into
the boiling water. I usually cook about six in a batch. When they are
floating on the surface the are ready to remove and place in a colander
to drain. That's it. I usually make a pasta sauce using turkey neck,
strained tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, wine etc. I mix the
gnocchi and sauce in a casserole, sprinkle more cheese on top and heat
in the oven before serving.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2015 7:16 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
> In article >, graham >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2015 7:18 PM, Don Martinich wrote:

>>> There are more varieties of gnocchi than those made with potatoes. My
>>> family's recipe was from the mother of a schoolmate of my aunt who was
>>> either from northern Italy or Ticino in Switzerland. It uses flour,
>>> eggs, butter, cheese, and water. If there's any interest I'll post the
>>> recipe.
>>>
>>> D.M.
>>>

>> Yes please! I have several recipes but that one looks interesting.
>> Graham

> Lina's Gnocchi
>
> 2 cups water
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups flour
> 1/2 lb butter
> 5 eggs
> 1/2 cup grated cheese- Parmigiano or Asiago
>
> Bring salted water to a boil. Add butter and when melted add flour.
> Remove from stove. Stir until mixture rolls off the side if the pot and
> sort of a ball. Cool. Stir in cheese and then add eggs, one at a time,
> mixing in each before adding the next one. Bring a pot of water to boil.
> Take a table spoon and scoop a ball of gnocchi dough and drop it into
> the boiling water. I usually cook about six in a batch. When they are
> floating on the surface the are ready to remove and place in a colander
> to drain. That's it. I usually make a pasta sauce using turkey neck,
> strained tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, wine etc. I mix the
> gnocchi and sauce in a casserole, sprinkle more cheese on top and heat
> in the oven before serving.
>
> D.M.

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/11/2015 7:16 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
> In article >, graham >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2015 7:18 PM, Don Martinich wrote:

>>> There are more varieties of gnocchi than those made with potatoes. My
>>> family's recipe was from the mother of a schoolmate of my aunt who was
>>> either from northern Italy or Ticino in Switzerland. It uses flour,
>>> eggs, butter, cheese, and water. If there's any interest I'll post the
>>> recipe.
>>>
>>> D.M.
>>>

>> Yes please! I have several recipes but that one looks interesting.
>> Graham

> Lina's Gnocchi
>
> 2 cups water
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups flour
> 1/2 lb butter
> 5 eggs
> 1/2 cup grated cheese- Parmigiano or Asiago
>
> Bring salted water to a boil. Add butter and when melted add flour.
> Remove from stove. Stir until mixture rolls off the side if the pot and
> sort of a ball. Cool. Stir in cheese and then add eggs, one at a time,
> mixing in each before adding the next one. Bring a pot of water to boil.
> Take a table spoon and scoop a ball of gnocchi dough and drop it into
> the boiling water. I usually cook about six in a batch. When they are
> floating on the surface the are ready to remove and place in a colander
> to drain. That's it. I usually make a pasta sauce using turkey neck,
> strained tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, wine etc. I mix the
> gnocchi and sauce in a casserole, sprinkle more cheese on top and heat
> in the oven before serving.
>
> D.M.

Thanks! Printed and saved.
The method, at the beginning, is a bit like making profiterole dough.
Graham

--
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness,
disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in
witnessing violence." George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2015 7:22 PM, graham wrote:
> On 13/11/2015 7:16 PM, Don Martinich wrote:
>> In article >, graham >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes please! I have several recipes but that one looks interesting.
>>> Graham

>> Lina's Gnocchi
>>
>> 2 cups water
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 2 cups flour
>> 1/2 lb butter
>> 5 eggs
>> 1/2 cup grated cheese- Parmigiano or Asiago
>>
>> Bring salted water to a boil. Add butter and when melted add flour.
>> Remove from stove. Stir until mixture rolls off the side if the pot and
>> sort of a ball. Cool. Stir in cheese and then add eggs, one at a time,
>> mixing in each before adding the next one. Bring a pot of water to boil.
>> Take a table spoon and scoop a ball of gnocchi dough and drop it into
>> the boiling water. I usually cook about six in a batch. When they are
>> floating on the surface the are ready to remove and place in a colander
>> to drain. That's it. I usually make a pasta sauce using turkey neck,
>> strained tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, wine etc. I mix the
>> gnocchi and sauce in a casserole, sprinkle more cheese on top and heat
>> in the oven before serving.
>>
>> D.M.
>>

> Thanks! Printed and saved.
> The method, at the beginning, is a bit like making profiterole dough.
> Graham

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Martinich" > wrote in message
> In article >, graham >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2015 7:18 PM, Don Martinich wrote:

>> > There are more varieties of gnocchi than those made with potatoes. My
>> > family's recipe was from the mother of a schoolmate of my aunt who was
>> > either from northern Italy or Ticino in Switzerland. It uses flour,
>> > eggs, butter, cheese, and water. If there's any interest I'll post the
>> > recipe.
>> >
>> > D.M.
>> >

>> Yes please! I have several recipes but that one looks interesting.
>> Graham

> Lina's Gnocchi
>
> 2 cups water
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups flour
> 1/2 lb butter
> 5 eggs
> 1/2 cup grated cheese- Parmigiano or Asiago
>
> Bring salted water to a boil. Add butter and when melted add flour.
> Remove from stove. Stir until mixture rolls off the side if the pot and
> sort of a ball. Cool. Stir in cheese and then add eggs, one at a time,
> mixing in each before adding the next one. Bring a pot of water to boil.
> Take a table spoon and scoop a ball of gnocchi dough and drop it into
> the boiling water. I usually cook about six in a batch. When they are
> floating on the surface the are ready to remove and place in a colander
> to drain. That's it. I usually make a pasta sauce using turkey neck,
> strained tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, wine etc. I mix the
> gnocchi and sauce in a casserole, sprinkle more cheese on top and heat
> in the oven before serving.
>
> D.M.

Thanks very much for posting that!

<saved>