Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default $3 for 10oz fresh cranberries

oceanspray brand.

Is that good?

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-15, JRStern > wrote:
> oceanspray brand.
>
> Is that good?

Considering how much most food prices have increased, it could be
worse. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 6:36 PM, JRStern wrote:
> oceanspray brand.
>
> Is that good?

I feel like the closer we get to Thanksgiving, they
are on sale for 2 for $5, so it sounds about right to me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 10/15/2015 6:36 PM, JRStern wrote:
> > oceanspray brand.
> >
> > Is that good?

> I feel like the closer we get to Thanksgiving, they
> are on sale for 2 for $5, so it sounds about right to me.

Sounds about right to me too. I notice it's a 10oz bag this season.
I've had one from last year in the freezer and it's a 12oz bag
(Oceanspray). I just opened it yesterday and made a loaf of that
cranberry bread that I mentioned recently. Delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:14:57 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 10/15/2015 6:36 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> > oceanspray brand.
>> >
>> > Is that good?

>> I feel like the closer we get to Thanksgiving, they
>> are on sale for 2 for $5, so it sounds about right to me.

>Sounds about right to me too. I notice it's a 10oz bag this season.
>I've had one from last year in the freezer and it's a 12oz bag
>(Oceanspray). I just opened it yesterday and made a loaf of that
>cranberry bread that I mentioned recently. Delicious!

That's the age old trick, same price or more, less contents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 7:14 PM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 10/15/2015 6:36 PM, JRStern wrote:
>>> oceanspray brand.
>>>
>>> Is that good?

>> I feel like the closer we get to Thanksgiving, they
>> are on sale for 2 for $5, so it sounds about right to me.

> Sounds about right to me too. I notice it's a 10oz bag this season.
> I've had one from last year in the freezer and it's a 12oz bag

That's a big difference.

> (Oceanspray). I just opened it yesterday and made a loaf of that
> cranberry bread that I mentioned recently. Delicious!

Mmm. I love anything cranberry, cranberry nut, cranberry orange.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern wrote:
>
>> oceanspray brand.
>>
>> Is that good?

>I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving. I'm
>thinking the bags were 12oz, not 10. Sounds like another product
>downsize.
>
>Yep - looking at pictures of OceanSpray cranberries on the net the
>pictures show 12oz bags. And most recipes are for 12oz bags. So the
>10oz bags are the "New and Improved Size!" crop for 2015.
>
>-sw

Oh, well, maybe Thanksgiving Day will be limited to 20 hours this year
as well!

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 5:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> So the 10oz bags are the "New and Improved Size!"

**** off, virus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern wrote:
>
>> oceanspray brand.
>> Is that good?

>I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving. I'm
>thinking the bags were 12oz, not 10. Sounds like another product
>downsize.
>
>Yep - looking at pictures of OceanSpray cranberries on the net the
>pictures show 12oz bags. And most recipes are for 12oz bags. So the
>10oz bags are the "New and Improved Size!" crop for 2015.

Go know they'd dwarf cranberries
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> oceanspray brand.
>
> Is that good?
>
> J.

It's too early for me, so I didn't check the price. They're always
expensive, so I just pay for them when I want them.

Here's I found a recipe today. I want to pair it with pork this
season.
http://peasandcrayons.com/2014/11/ho...ries-feta.html

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving.

My experience the last two years is that if I want cranberries
for Thanksgiving, I'd better get them early because they have
run out.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:01:08 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern wrote:
>>
>>> oceanspray brand.
>>> Is that good?

>>I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving. I'm
>>thinking the bags were 12oz, not 10. Sounds like another product
>>downsize.
>>
>>Yep - looking at pictures of OceanSpray cranberries on the net the
>>pictures show 12oz bags. And most recipes are for 12oz bags. So the
>>10oz bags are the "New and Improved Size!" crop for 2015.

>Go know they'd dwarf cranberries

The cranberry producers are selling crops that didn't do so well,
calling them "New and Improved" size and charging you a premium!!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:21:26 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> > On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> > I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving.

> My experience the last two years is that if I want cranberries
> for Thanksgiving, I'd better get them early because they have
> run out.

He lives in the magical land of Texass where everything is abundant
and practically free.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 10:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:21:26 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
>>> wrote:

>>> I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving.

>> My experience the last two years is that if I want cranberries
>> for Thanksgiving, I'd better get them early because they have
>> run out.
>>

> He lives in the magical land of Texass where everything is abundant
> and practically free.

'Cept for gas and whiskey, lol...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid says...

> oceanspray brand.
>
> Is that good?
>
> J.

The Ocean Spray cranberries sold here are good

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in :

> On 2015-10-15, JRStern > wrote:
>> oceanspray brand.
>>
>> Is that good?

> Considering how much most food prices have increased, it could be
> worse. 8|
>
> nb

I'm about ready to stop using fresh eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-10-16, KenK > wrote:

> I'm about ready to stop using fresh eggs.

In favor of what?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in news:d8cq3rFliftU2
@mid.individual.net:

> On 2015-10-16, KenK > wrote:
>
>> I'm about ready to stop using fresh eggs.

> In favor of what?
>
> nb

The little cartons of frozen eggs when I need an egg for a recipe.
(Wonder if they still make those.) No more fried, scrambled, whatever
eggs to eat for a meal.

It would sure be mice if you could put eggs in the freezer and then thaw
one and use it like a fresh egg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2015 1:50 PM, KenK wrote:
> notbob > wrote in news:d8cq3rFliftU2
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> On 2015-10-16, KenK > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about ready to stop using fresh eggs.

>> In favor of what?
>>
>> nb
>>

> The little cartons of frozen eggs when I need an egg for a recipe.
> (Wonder if they still make those.) No more fried, scrambled, whatever
> eggs to eat for a meal.
>
> It would sure be mice if you could put eggs in the freezer and then thaw
> one and use it like a fresh egg.

Egg Beaters? Costs more than that little carton is worth.

You can freeze eggs. No, I have not tried this. I don't eat eggs often
but they don't go bad. A carton of 12 lasts me a couple of months. I
also have not found eggs to be very expensive. Sorry!

If you're so inclined, here are a few links for freezing eggs:

http://www.food.com/recipe/freezing-eggs-153034

or

http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/78

or frozen scrambled eggs:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6173341_free...bled-eggs.html

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2015 12:15 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:21:26 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:01 -0500, Sqwertz >
>>> wrote:

>>> I see them for $1.25-$1.50 a couple weeks before thanksgiving.

>> My experience the last two years is that if I want cranberries
>> for Thanksgiving, I'd better get them early because they have
>> run out.
>>

> He lives in the magical land of Texass where everything is abundant
> and practically free.

I've learned from here that things cost less/more in different
places. Just ask Chris about how pricey produce is on the
east coast compared to over there.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Oct 2015 17:50:03 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> It would sure be mice if you could put eggs in the freezer and then thaw
> one and use it like a fresh egg.

You can. Crack them and freeze individually out of the shell.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2015 7:14 PM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I feel like the closer we get to Thanksgiving, they
>> are on sale for 2 for $5, so it sounds about right to me.

> Sounds about right to me too. I notice it's a 10oz bag this season.
> I've had one from last year in the freezer and it's a 12oz bag
> (Oceanspray). I just opened it yesterday and made a loaf of that
> cranberry bread that I mentioned recently. Delicious!

Even though I was in the store today, I did not check the
cranberries. But, just now I was going over the weekly
sale circular and I see the are 2 for $5. Here's the thing,
it could be a mistake, but the circular says they are
12 ounce bags.

I think I'll be stopping by tomorrow just to check on
that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Even though I was in the store today, I did not check the
> cranberries. But, just now I was going over the weekly
> sale circular and I see the are 2 for $5. Here's the thing,
> it could be a mistake, but the circular says they are
> 12 ounce bags.
>
> I think I'll be stopping by tomorrow just to check on
> that.

I went to the store this morning and I did look. Cranberries aren't on
sale here. The price is $2.99 for a 12oz package. Yep...still 12oz
here. They look very fresh too, so not trying to sell off last year's
leftovers. Still Ocean Spray. They seem to be the only ones that sell
them.

Anyway, $2.99/12oz here but as time nears Thanksgiving, I'm sure they
will go on sale for at least $2.50.

I might make another loaf of the Christmas Cranberry Bread this next
week. It's too good. I'll take a pic if I do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2015 10:33 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Even though I was in the store today, I did not check the
>> cranberries. But, just now I was going over the weekly
>> sale circular and I see the are 2 for $5. Here's the thing,
>> it could be a mistake, but the circular says they are
>> 12 ounce bags.
>>
>> I think I'll be stopping by tomorrow just to check on
>> that.

> I went to the store this morning and I did look.

I never did make it to the store, wasn't worth the gas to
go there just for that.

> Cranberries aren't on
> sale here. The price is $2.99 for a 12oz package. Yep...still 12oz
> here. They look very fresh too, so not trying to sell off last year's
> leftovers. Still Ocean Spray. They seem to be the only ones that sell
> them.

I don't know how many cranberry farmers are not part of that
cooperative. I know there are some but it doesn't seem like
they have the clout to get into all the supermarkets.

> Anyway, $2.99/12oz here but as time nears Thanksgiving, I'm sure they
> will go on sale for at least $2.50.
>
> I might make another loaf of the Christmas Cranberry Bread this next
> week. It's too good. I'll take a pic if I do.

I'd love to see it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 20:09:06 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 15-Oct-2015, JRStern > wrote:
>
>> oceanspray brand.
>>
>> Is that good?

>I don't normally check cranberry prices; but, I just returned from grocery
>shopping and they happened to be in the next section of the produce case
>next to something I did buy. The "sale" price was 2 for $5 for Ocean Spray
>10 oz fresh cranberries. This price is in a suburb or St. Louis.

Er, I think I erred, and it was 12oz all along.

Twelve small ounces ...

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>oceanspray brand.
>
>Is that good?
>
>J.

Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:59:07 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
> >oceanspray brand.
> >
> >Is that good?
> >
> >J.

> Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.
> Janet US

Shoot! I was at Costco yesterday but didn't look at produce.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
> >oceanspray brand.
> >
> >Is that good?
> >
> >J.

> Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.
> Janet US

Great deal compared to "my area." I looked again in my store this
morning. $2.95 for 12oz bag of Ocean Spray.

I'm sure they will go on sale as Thanksgiving and Christmas nears, but
probably not as good as your deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2015 6:59 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
>> oceanspray brand.
>>
>> Is that good?

> Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.

They were $3.99 for 2 pounds at my Costco yesterday. Still a
decent deal.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:07:10 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 10/20/2015 6:59 PM, Janet B wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:36:45 -0700, JRStern >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> oceanspray brand.
>>>
>>> Is that good?

>> Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.

>They were $3.99 for 2 pounds at my Costco yesterday. Still a
>decent deal.
>
>nancy

Thanks for the reminder about Costco for cranberries. We stopped in
the one in Greensboro, NC this afternoon to look around a bit and
check the price of the cranberries. Here the are $3.89 for 2 pounds.
We bought 3 bags. I will freeze and FoodSaver the remainder in usable
packages.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 4:47 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:07:10 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> They were $3.99 for 2 pounds at my Costco yesterday. Still a
>> decent deal.

> Thanks for the reminder about Costco for cranberries. We stopped in
> the one in Greensboro, NC this afternoon to look around a bit and
> check the price of the cranberries. Here the are $3.89 for 2 pounds.
> We bought 3 bags. I will freeze and FoodSaver the remainder in usable
> packages.

Oh, good! I never go into that room since I really can't use large
amounts of vegetables like that, but I'm glad I remembered about the
cranberries. Good deal.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:47:59 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:07:10 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> >On 10/20/2015 6:59 PM, Janet B wrote:

> >> Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.

> >They were $3.99 for 2 pounds at my Costco yesterday. Still a
> >decent deal.
> >
> >nancy

> Thanks for the reminder about Costco for cranberries. We stopped in
> the one in Greensboro, NC this afternoon to look around a bit and
> check the price of the cranberries. Here the are $3.89 for 2 pounds.
> We bought 3 bags. I will freeze and FoodSaver the remainder in usable
> packages.

Grocery Outlet had cranberries for well under $2 a bag yesterday. I
didn't buy them and don't remember the exact price.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> The Aldi ad sheet that came in yesterday's mail shows 12 oz. Ocean Spray
> Cranberries are still 89 cents. They are on sale for $2 per 12 oz bag at
> the dominant chain supermarket.

Very good deals. My normal grocery store was selling 120z for $2.99.
This week they reduced it to $2.50 but that's still way high. This
store still showed no Thanksgiving sale prices this week. Next
Wednesday, they will show all sales....turkeys, cranberry, sweet
potatoes, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:34:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> l not -l wrote:
> >
> > The Aldi ad sheet that came in yesterday's mail shows 12 oz. Ocean Spray
> > Cranberries are still 89 cents. They are on sale for $2 per 12 oz bag at
> > the dominant chain supermarket.

> Very good deals. My normal grocery store was selling 120z for $2.99.
> This week they reduced it to $2.50 but that's still way high. This
> store still showed no Thanksgiving sale prices this week. Next
> Wednesday, they will show all sales....turkeys, cranberry, sweet
> potatoes, etc.

I can't get worked up over $3 for a 12 oz bag of cranberries or their
sale prices.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2015 6:08 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 12-Nov-2015, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:47:59 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:07:10 -0500, Nancy Young

>>> Thanks for the reminder about Costco for cranberries. We stopped in
>>> the one in Greensboro, NC this afternoon to look around a bit and
>>> check the price of the cranberries. Here the are $3.89 for 2 pounds.
>>> We bought 3 bags. I will freeze and FoodSaver the remainder in usable
>>> packages.

>> Grocery Outlet had cranberries for well under $2 a bag yesterday. I
>> didn't buy them and don't remember the exact price.
>>
>> --

> The Aldi ad sheet that came in yesterday's mail shows 12 oz. Ocean Spray
> Cranberries are still 89 cents. They are on sale for $2 per 12 oz bag at
> the dominant chain supermarket.

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2015 2:47 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 23:07:10 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/20/2015 6:59 PM, Janet B wrote:

>>> Cranberries, $2.95 for 2 pounds at Costco today.

>> They were $3.99 for 2 pounds at my Costco yesterday. Still a
>> decent deal.
>>
>> nancy

> Thanks for the reminder about Costco for cranberries. We stopped in
> the one in Greensboro, NC this afternoon to look around a bit and
> check the price of the cranberries. Here the are $3.89 for 2 pounds.
> We bought 3 bags. I will freeze and FoodSaver the remainder in usable
> packages.

I have, on at least three prior occasions, written posts that delve into
the “alleged” lurid past of one of our former presidents, George Herbert
Walker Bush (GHWB), the current but ailing patriarch of the Bush Family
Dynasty – I refer to them as the Bush Family Crime Syndicate, certainly
not in terms of endearment – but rather more like the Mafia Godfather
who prepares his sons to take over the family business upon his death.
This particular post references an article by Stew Webb, a contributor
of Veterans Today.

In his life-time, George H. W. Bush (GHWB) has controlled every
clandestine (hidden from view) and secret organization/operation within
the arsenal of the United States government as either 1) Director of the
CIA, 2) Vice President to Ronald Reagan (who was an unwitting puppet to
the Bush controlled cabal – GHWB secretly gave Reagan poisons that
hastened his fall into Alzheimer’s Disease and evidence suggests he
helped plan Reagan’ attempted assassination by John Hinckley, whose
family were close friends of the Bush family – a coincidence?) and 3)
ultimately as President of the United States before Bill Clinton took
office.

Is it cranberries? Jen[_1_] General Cooking 24 29-09-2007 04:09 AM
Substitute for fresh/frozen cranberries Suanne Wong Baking 6 03-12-2003 05:35 PM
Fresh Cranberries leo General Cooking 5 22-11-2003 05:09 AM
Use for fresh cranberries Snowfeet1 General Cooking 0 20-11-2003 05:51 PM