leo

Default Fresh Cranberries

Hello,

I have some organically grown fresh cranberries. What is a good healthy way
to prepare them? Thanks for some ideas!

leo

Sam D.

"leo" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello,
>
> I have some organically grown fresh cranberries. What is a good healthy

way
> to prepare them? Thanks for some ideas!

Try this:
http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes.asp

kalanamak

leo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some organically grown fresh cranberries. What is a good healthy way
> to prepare them? Thanks for some ideas!
>
> leo

I just reposted this, and I promise you it is GOOD, and the berries are raw::

From Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

12 oz bag cranberries
2 peeled tangerines (I used seedless clementines)
or an orange
(optional) 2 drops orange oil
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
salt
3 T finely chopped walnuts
(optional) 1 teas orange flower water

Wash berries, pulse with chopped peeled citrus in food processor to a
mince (or grind through a meat grinder), stir in the rest, starting with
1/2 cup sugar, and then taste. Add more sugar if needed.

I eat this by the bowlful. It is good with cottage cheese for a quick lunch. It
will keep for about 6 days, and I double the recipe.

GaryO

"leo" > wrote in message om>...
> Hello,
>
> I have some organically grown fresh cranberries. What is a good healthy way
> to prepare them? Thanks for some ideas!
>
> leo

Buy a bag of Cranberries and cook them the day before. If they turn
out well, use the same recipe for the organically grown berries. Many
fresh cranberry sauce recipes hold very well for at least a day or two
in the fridge, especially the simpler ones.

A simple change of pace from the basic recipe found on the Ocean Spray
bag (and on their website) is the Sugared Cranberries recipe from "The
Fannie Farmer Cookbook" (where you will also find the functionally
identical basic recipe for Cranberry Sauce as the OS recipe).

Sugared Cranberries (from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, by Marion
Cunningham)

4 cups fresh cranberries 3/4 - 1 cup sugar

Spread the cranberries in a large skillet. Sprinkle with sugar to
taste and place over medium heat. Cook, shaking and stirring, for
about 8 minutes, or until the sugar has melted and a few of the
cranberries have popped. Pour into a serving dish. As the
cranberries cool, the sauce thickens.

GaryO
K ACKRMAN

>> I have some organically grown fresh cranberries. What is a good healthy

>way

I can't recall where I got this recipe, but my family loves it:

Cranberry Salsa

1 12-oz. bag of cranberries
1 clove garlic
1 or 2 jalapeno chiles
4 Tb. finely chopped cilantro
3 green onions, minced
Juice of 3 limes (1/3 cup)
1/2 cup sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Boil cranberries for 1 minute in 1 quart water. Drain well.

Mince the garlic. Seed and mince the chiles. Combine with chopped cilatnro,
green onions, and the cranberries in a mixing bowl. Mix by hand, squeezing
some of the berries to pulp, leaving the rest whole.

Add lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper as necessary. The mixture should be a
little sweet, a little sour, and very spicy. Serves 8.

Dimitri

"leo" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello,
>
> I have some organically grown fresh cranberries. What is a good healthy

way
> to prepare them? Thanks for some ideas!
>
> leo

The following are from Ocean Spray.

They are still the best starting points.

Dimitri

Ingredients:

1 12-ounce package Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, rinsed and
drained
1 unpeeled orange, cut into eighths and seeded
3/4-1 cup sugar

Directions:

Place half the cranberries and half the orange slices in food processor
container. Process until mixture is evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
Repeat with remaining cranberries and orange slices. Stir in sugar. Store in
refrigerator or freezer. Makes about 3 cups.

NOTE: May also be prepared in a food grinder.

OR

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 12-ounce package Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, rinsed and
drained

Directions:

Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; add
cranberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes,
stirring occasionally.

Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium mixing bowl. Pour contents of
saucepan into strainer. Mash cranberries with the back of a spoon,
frequently scraping the outside of the strainer, until no pulp is left.

Stir contents of bowl. Pour into serving container. Cover and cool
completely at room temperature.

Refrigerate until serving time. Makes 1 cup.