Old 20-09-2015, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

William

Old 20-09-2015, 05:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

Old 20-09-2015, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:28:18 -0400, William wrote:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

William

Facebook, mostly. For me.

John Kuthe...
Old 20-09-2015, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

Facebook is an advertising platform, basically. It's a lousy database,
has an atrocious editor, and is particularly terrible because of the
"Facebook algorithm". Look it up!

John Kuthe...
Old 20-09-2015, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

Old 20-09-2015, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:02:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 9:28:45 AM UTC-7, BigC300 wrote:
Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

William

https://www.facebook.com/groups/recfoodcooking/

thanks for the link!

William

Old 20-09-2015, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

You must not be looking in the right places.

-sw

Congratulations on killing this group off, stalker.

Old 20-09-2015, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

You must not be looking in the right places.

Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
are appreciated.

But I've spent almost a month really trying to study facebook and set
up a presence there. From what I've seen, "discussions" on most any
topic seem to be single paragraph exchanges, with around 5 iterations
making for a "long exchange", and most falling short of that. Very
cursory. Not what I'd call a discussion per se.

That said, I've only been subscribed to a couple of groups, now
unsubscribed. My initial assessment is that it's a not particularly
expansive user interface. Kinda like twitter with significant elbow
room, most of which is unused.

Old 20-09-2015, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Old 20-09-2015, 09:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

You must not be looking in the right places.

Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
are appreciated.

Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Old 20-09-2015, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

[...]

Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
"llook at me and how cool I and my life are." Lotta what I call hit
and run posts. Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few
Facebook Groups.

John Kuthe...
Old 20-09-2015, 10:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 16:28:18 +0000, William said:

Is this just typical end of summer traffic on RFC? Seems slow with few
postings. I guess things will pick up near Thanksgiving.

I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

You must not be looking in the right places.

Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
are appreciated.

Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
perspective.

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...
Old 20-09-2015, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" wrote in message

Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
perspective.

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

And therein lies the problem. LOL

Cheri
Old 20-09-2015, 10:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 21:00:39 +0000, John Kuthe said:

You must not be looking in the right places.

Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
are appreciated.

Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Good to know, thanks.

Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
perspective.

I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
such?

That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.

Elsewhere you said:

Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
"llook at me and how cool I and my life are."

I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
twitter to be.

Lotta what I call hit and run posts.

Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
encourage a give-and-take engagement.

Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few Facebook Groups.

In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
learn best out to waste one's time.

Old 20-09-2015, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Elsewhere you said:

Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
"llook at me and how cool I and my life are."

I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
twitter to be.

Lotta what I call hit and run posts.

Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
encourage a give-and-take engagement.

Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few Facebook Groups.

In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
learn best out to waste one's time.

That's one of the main points of faecebook - to get you to spend as
much time on faecebook as possible. That, and build up a profile of
you.