Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Dove Breast

You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.
When you wrap bacon around a dove breast with a slice of jalapeño and
grill it, that, takes it off the chart.

I concocted a marinade/dipping sauce for it. It's wonderful.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ve-breast.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/oca75ql

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

My Asian inspired Marinade/Dipping Sauce

sauces/dips

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Water
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
5 tablespoons brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.

This recipe is good to use with meat, fish and vegetables.

Notes: koko

koko

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.
> When you wrap bacon around a dove breast with a slice of jalapeño and
> grill it, that, takes it off the chart.
>
> I concocted a marinade/dipping sauce for it. It's wonderful.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ve-breast.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/oca75ql

I've saved your marinade recipe and will try it.

Is it just me? Your picture links on the blog don't work. I can't see
what you have there.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.

I tried it with Rice Krispies -- the prep work was a bitch.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.
> When you wrap bacon around a dove breast with a slice of jalapeño and
> grill it, that, takes it off the chart.

I couldn't find dove breasts, so I tried it with Dove Bars.

I think it's an acquired taste.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 12:19 PM, l not -l wrote:

>> I think it's an acquired taste.
>>
>> -- Larry

> You could substitute pigeon breasts; pigeons are easy to find around here -
> a bit of a challenge to catch, but plentiful.

Not hard to catch if you live near a park and pigeons are fed by the
regulars. All you need is a bag of crumbs and a net.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 10:55:10 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-09-20 12:19 PM, l not -l wrote:
>
> >> I think it's an acquired taste.
> >>
> >> -- Larry

> > You could substitute pigeon breasts; pigeons are easy to find around here -
> > a bit of a challenge to catch, but plentiful.
> >

> Not hard to catch if you live near a park and pigeons are fed by the
> regulars. All you need is a bag of crumbs and a net.

Actually, pigeons ARE doves so they will be fine for the recipe.
I have never eaten pigeons but wouldn't hesitate if one were offered
to me. In fact I would rather do so that consume rabbit which
I have retailed many moons ago.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Not hard to catch if you live near a park and pigeons are fed by the
> regulars. All you need is a bag of crumbs and a net.

I once heard that the pigeons that plague big Eastern US cities were
brought over by Frenchmen who wanted pigeon breast eats. We have
those same pigeons out here in the CO Rockies, but they are not in
huge clowds. Usually jes a pair, much like doves, which we also have
a lot of. Unfortunately, the owner's assoc, much like any HOA,
disapproves of killing the local fauna. IOW, lotta bunnies, pigeons,
and doves, but we can't harvest 'em. Besides, it'd be particularly
hard to explain at our Thur pot-luck.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 1:12 PM, Roy wrote:

>> Not hard to catch if you live near a park and pigeons are fed by the
>> regulars. All you need is a bag of crumbs and a net.

> Actually, pigeons ARE doves so they will be fine for the recipe.

They are in the same family of birds but are different species, sort of
like ducks, geese and swans are in another family of birds. They are
different species.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20, > wrote:

> don't care for jalapeno anything

I like jalapeno, but despise chipotle (smoked jalapeno). Tastes like
eau de ashtray.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20, > wrote:

> Soak the grain in alcohol, go to the park, feed pigeons, within ten
> minutes you can pick up however many pigeons you wish.

Would you mind revealing which park you go to?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>koko wrote:
>>
>> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.
>> When you wrap bacon around a dove breast with a slice of jalapeño and
>> grill it, that, takes it off the chart.
>>
>> I concocted a marinade/dipping sauce for it. It's wonderful.
>>
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ve-breast.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/oca75ql

>I've saved your marinade recipe and will try it.
>
>Is it just me? Your picture links on the blog don't work. I can't see
>what you have there.

Try tkis:
http://tinyurl.com/oguhp7z
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 17:16:13 +0000, notbob said:

> On 2015-09-20, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> Not hard to catch if you live near a park and pigeons are fed by the
>> regulars. All you need is a bag of crumbs and a net.

> I once heard that the pigeons that plague big Eastern US cities were
> brought over by Frenchmen who wanted pigeon breast eats.

That's what I heard, though it seems I head they were north Africans.
In any case pigeon cooked in several ways is a significant dish in
Cairo. We know have two Egyptian restaurants nearby that offer a
stuffed pigeon and stuffed duck; both must be ordered 24 hours in
advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 4:24 PM, gtr wrote:

> That's what I heard, though it seems I head they were north Africans. In
> any case pigeon cooked in several ways is a significant dish in Cairo.
> We know have two Egyptian restaurants nearby that offer a stuffed pigeon
> and stuffed duck; both must be ordered 24 hours in advance.

They can only catch them when the park is empty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-09-20 21:52:57 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2015-09-20 4:24 PM, gtr wrote:
>
>> That's what I heard, though it seems I head they were north Africans. In
>> any case pigeon cooked in several ways is a significant dish in Cairo.
>> We know have two Egyptian restaurants nearby that offer a stuffed pigeon
>> and stuffed duck; both must be ordered 24 hours in advance.

> They can only catch them when the park is empty.

Actually, just for grins I snooped around. My go-to Butcher can get
quail, rabbit, duck, goose and seemingly everything under the sun--but
it's frozen and from a California farm. I called and I'm surpised to
say they don't cary pigeon.

I snooped out two other places within 8 miles of the house, Dakao and
Baladi Halal Poultry. They have duck, turkey, quail, rabbits, and a
number of varieties of chicken (white, brown black). At Baladi the
pigeons cost $12 or $13 for "a bigger one". They apparently slaughter,
butcher and clean them on premises. I noted one Yelp review that
pointed out they have baby rabbits which are sold for $8 and encourages
readers to "help them find a home". Also another user mentions that
there are baby chicks and ducklings that are "so cute".

I'm not sure I could get with that. "I want that duck, no the other
one with the self-satified look on its bill--yeah that one!" And later
drop it in a crock pot. That would just be a bit much.

An old line of mine when eating really fresh food is "this
[trout/tomato/lamb] was planning its future this afternoon." Suddenly
that line has lost some of its humor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-09-20 6:26 PM, gtr wrote:

> An old line of mine when eating really fresh food is "this
> [trout/tomato/lamb] was planning its future this afternoon." Suddenly
> that line has lost some of its humor.

There used to be a trout farm about two miles from my house. It used to
be owned by the father of a friend of mine. Later on it was owned by a
guy who ended up being a co-worker. I used to be able to go over there
and get freshly caught and cleaned trout. That is fresh fish ...
without the time and hassle to catch and clean them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:15:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>>
>> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.
>> When you wrap bacon around a dove breast with a slice of jalapeño and
>> grill it, that, takes it off the chart.
>>
>> I concocted a marinade/dipping sauce for it. It's wonderful.
>>
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ve-breast.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/oca75ql

>I've saved your marinade recipe and will try it.

I hope you like it.

>Is it just me? Your picture links on the blog don't work. I can't see
>what you have there.
>
>G.

Sorry you are having trouble with the links. I double check them
before I post , and I just now double checked them and it worked for
me.

koko

James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:42:19 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>>
>> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.

>I tried it with Rice Krispies -- the prep work was a bitch.
>
>-- Larry

Lol, thanks for the heads up Larry, I was going to try that next ;-)

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:45:24 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>>
>> You can wrap just about anything in bacon, and it will taste good.
>> When you wrap bacon around a dove breast with a slice of jalapeño and
>> grill it, that, takes it off the chart.

>I couldn't find dove breasts, so I tried it with Dove Bars.
>
>I think it's an acquired taste.
>
>-- Larry

That should have tasted like chocolate dipped bacon. I think you
should try it again. ;-)

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/15 12:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> You could substitute pigeon breasts; pigeons are easy to find around
>> here -
>> a bit of a challenge to catch, but plentiful.

> Not hard to catch if you live near a park and pigeons are fed by the
> regulars. All you need is a bag of crumbs and a net.

Somebody cue Tom Lehrer's song, "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2015 1:01 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:26:39 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> I snooped out two other places within 8 miles of the house, Dakao and
>> Baladi Halal Poultry. They have duck, turkey, quail, rabbits, and a
>> number of varieties of chicken (white, brown black). At Baladi the
>> pigeons cost $12 or $13 for "a bigger one". They apparently slaughter,
>> butcher and clean them on premises. I noted one Yelp review that
>> pointed out they have baby rabbits which are sold for $8 and encourages
>> readers to "help them find a home". Also another user mentions that
>> there are baby chicks and ducklings that are "so cute".

> It would be illegal to slaughter meat/poultry in a retail store.
> Slaughter must take place in a separate, federally inspected facility
> that has a full time inspecter. I think there's an exception for
> under 1,000 birds a year but that's only 3 birds a day. And it still
> has to be a separate facility. It's possible to do it in the same
> building but the cost of keeping both operations completely separate
> would be prohibitive for that hole in the wall place (yes, I looked at
> Yelp and Google Street View ;-)
>
> Also, I'm almost positive you can't sell live animals at a grocery
> store unless you can pass them off as service animals. Maybe they're
> seizure-alert rabbits?
>
> The FBI and Homeland Security probably need to raid that place!
>
> -sw

That might be true of mammals, birds, and other "higher" organisms, but
I've been to many Oriental groceries and restaurant that have tanks of
live seafood that you can buy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >>Quail would seem similar.

> >Yep, not much meat... but very delicious.

> Very delicious, that's what everyone says when it costs three times
> more per ounce than chicken. I've eaten quail... they're all about
> presentation... disgusting greasy mouse-like things with nothing to
> eat, the emporer's new clothes of poultry. Dining on quail folks
> feign politeness same as when served way over priced hors doovers. I'd
> much rather a brace of tube steak. The last time I was served quail I
> left them on my plate untouched, not worth struggling to eat. Any
> woman on her wedding night discovers her groom has a quail sized
> peepee wouldn't stop laughing all the way to divorce court.

Yup, another thing I can't abide is Cornish hen, too much work...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Brooklyn1's bullshit du jour regarding quail:

[ I stripped out all the tits and dicks from your post. Look how
little is left! ]

> Very delicious, that's what everyone says when it costs three times
> more per ounce than chicken.

I didn't know what it cost and found it tasty. I guess you'd have a
hard time evaluating flavor with out a receipt in hand.

> I've eaten quail... they're all about presentation...

I've had quail 3 different places. No presentation at all. Another
very blunt point.

> ...disgusting greasy mouse-like things with nothing to eat, the
> emporer's new clothes of poultry.

Same as clams guess: nothing to eat.

> Dining on quail folks feign politeness same as when served way over
> priced hors doovers.

All the folks I was with, in a Mexican, Vietnamese and Indian places,
feigned nothing, there were no appetizers and it was pretty
inexpensive. Do you have any perspective that doesn't first pivot off
of other people's stupidity?

> The last time I was served quail I left them on my plate untouched, not
> worth struggling to eat.

So your evalution of flavor is nil--you didn't eat it. I suppose crab
and lobster are also stupid people/high prices/too hard to eat. Only a
bowl of beans, probably on the floor, your kinda eats.

> Yup, another thing I can't abide is Cornish hen, too much work...

Order the cheapest pizza in town with the cheapest beer--just as good,
and you're the only smart guy that keeps them both in business!