D. Winsor

Default A twist on bacon wrapped...

I cut really thin slices of sirloin, 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick, sprinkled some
coarse salt and Montreal Steak Spice on the pieces and then spread bacon
flat on them before I rolled up. Most of the rolls were two or two and a
half inches long. I grilled the sirloin wrapped bacon fast and furious on a
high heat. It didn't flare a whole lot and was absolutely delicious. This
is apparently a French Canadian thing a friend told me about. The beef
should be thinner if possible.

*Note to self*
Find more friends like that.

debi

did you skewer them?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:11:40 GMT, "D. Winsor"
> wrote:

>I cut really thin slices of sirloin, 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick, sprinkled some
>coarse salt and Montreal Steak Spice on the pieces and then spread bacon
>flat on them before I rolled up. Most of the rolls were two or two and a
>half inches long. I grilled the sirloin wrapped bacon fast and furious on a
>high heat. It didn't flare a whole lot and was absolutely delicious. This
>is apparently a French Canadian thing a friend told me about. The beef
>should be thinner if possible.
>
>*Note to self*
>Find more friends like that.

Kent

How do you deal with the fat on the bacon on the inside of the "roll up".
It's hard
to imagine that all of the fat would be rendered.
Kent

"D. Winsor" > wrote in message
>I cut really thin slices of sirloin, 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick, sprinkled some
> coarse salt and Montreal Steak Spice on the pieces and then spread bacon
> flat on them before I rolled up. Most of the rolls were two or two and a
> half inches long. I grilled the sirloin wrapped bacon fast and furious on
> high heat. It didn't flare a whole lot and was absolutely delicious.
> This
> is apparently a French Canadian thing a friend told me about. The beef
> should be thinner if possible.
>
> *Note to self*
> Find more friends like that.

Cam

Kent wrote:

> "D. Winsor" > wrote in message
> >I cut really thin slices of sirloin, 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick, sprinkled some
> > coarse salt and Montreal Steak Spice on the pieces and then spread bacon
> > flat on them before I rolled up. Most of the rolls were two or two and a
> > half inches long. I grilled the sirloin wrapped bacon fast and furious on
> > high heat. It didn't flare a whole lot and was absolutely delicious.
> > This
> > is apparently a French Canadian thing a friend told me about. The beef
> > should be thinner if possible.
> >
> > *Note to self*
> > Find more friends like that.
> >

> How do you deal with the fat on the bacon on the inside of the "roll up".
> It's hard
> to imagine that all of the fat would be rendered.
> Kent

I find bacon fat responds well to ingestion.

Cam

D. Winsor

"Cam" > wrote in message
oups.com...
"It's hard to imagine that all of the fat would be rendered."
"Kent"

"I find bacon fat responds well to ingestion."
"Cam"

A bit of both actually... There was very little flare-up from bacon fat,
but sirloin isn't that fatty to start with - nor was the bacon really - so I
guess it got somewhat absorbed by the meat and the Montreal Steak Spice. I
didn't pin or tie the 2 1/2 inch thick bundles, so they were kinda loosely
laid on where the roll ended. I'd say use leaner bacon and not really worry
about it. It's so flavourful I don't think you'd make a meal of them.
They're great appetisers though. They're every bit as good as sausage
grilled and tossed in a good sauce... Well, they are when you're eating
them with your fingers before the major entree anyway. Maybe they'd be good
with proscuito or West Phalean ham

Kent

Proscuito is a great idea, with just enough fat to moisten and enrich the
steak. We wrap proscuito on scallops, and grill with the scallop side on the
grill. I probably wouldn't put the proscuito directly onto the grill with
sirloin either. You're burning up something that tastes great raw.
BTW, you can get an excellent raw cured ham, or "German Proscuito" at Trader
Joes in Cal., for about $10/lb.