Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Courgette/Zucchini toxicity... who knew?

Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg

The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
husband's death.

Ludwig A. died in hospital two weeks after eating a courgette stew,
Bild reported on Wednesday.

The courgettes were home-grown, and had been given to the pensioner
and his wife Inge by neighbours at their Heidelberg home.

But neither the couple nor their neighbours were aware of the
dangerous toxins hidden within the plants.

"The stew did taste bitter," Inge A. told Bild. "But we're used to
bitter. We grow radishes in our garden, which also have this bitter
taste."

But shortly after eating the meal, the couple began to feel unwell.

"I had diarrhea, and had to be sick," 80-year-old Inge said.

For her husband, things were even worse. "His face had turned
completely yellow," Inge remembered.

The pair were rushed to hospital, where they were diagnosed with
severe poisoning.

80-year-old Inge gradually recovered, and was released from hospital
after a few days. However, her husband had ingested so much of the
poison that he later died.

Naturally occurring killers

The substance was one of a group of chemicals named cucurbitacins.

These naturally occurring toxins are occasionally found in pumpkins
and gourds such as courgettes, and are designed to defend the plants
from herbivores.

When ingested by humans, they can cause sickness, diarrhea and in some
cases, death.

Cucurbitacins can be recognised by their bitter taste. Any courgette
that has a strong unpleasant smell or tastes particularly bitter
should be avoided.

"Cucurbitacins are toxic at high levels, but they are so bitter that
it is almost impossible for anyone to eat sufficient quantities of the
toxins to cause significant harm," advises The Food Safety Hazard
Guidebook.

For Inge, this held true. Dr Neubert Pfeufer of the accident and
emergency department told Bild: "She had eaten much less of the stew,
because it tasted so bitter."

However, 79-year-old Ludwig cleared his plate of poisonous courgette
stew, meaning medics were unable to save him.

Cucurbitacins have been bred out of most commercially sold seeds, Bild
reports – meaning gardeners who go out and buy a seed pack to grow
their own courgettes shouldn't need to worry about the toxins.

However, using seeds from previous years can be dangerous, they warn.

Gardeners should also avoid growing gourds next to ornamental breeds
of pumpkin. These contain toxic substances which can end up infecting
edible varieties through cross-pollination.

http://www.thelocal.de/20150821/cour...-in-heidelberg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>
> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
> husband's death.

Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany. The
courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
farmers. I'm still alive.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 8:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/6/201
> Jill

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 8:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>>
>> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
>> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
>> husband's death.
>>

> Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany. The
> courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
> yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
> farmers. I'm still alive.
>
> Jill

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:44:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>>
>> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
>> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
>> husband's death.
>>

>Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany. The
>courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
>yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
>farmers. I'm still alive.

http://www.thelocal.de/20150821/cour...-in-heidelberg

Cucurbitacins can be recognized by their bitter taste. Any courgette that
has a strong unpleasant smell or tastes particularly bitter should be
avoided.

"Cucurbitacins are toxic at high levels, but they are so bitter that it is
almost impossible for anyone to eat sufficient quantities of the toxins to
cause significant harm," advises The Food Safety Hazard Guidebook.

If he was YOUNGER, I'd nominate him for a Darwin award!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>>
>> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
>> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
>> husband's death.
>>

> Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany. The
> courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
> yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
> farmers. I'm still alive.
>
> Jill

Me too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 9:10 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:44:34 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

> "Cucurbitacins are toxic at high levels, but they are so bitter that it is
> almost impossible for anyone to eat sufficient quantities of the toxins to
> cause significant harm," advises The Food Safety Hazard Guidebook.
>
> If he was YOUNGER, I'd nominate him for a Darwin award!

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 9:41 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mcquowng for 35 years haven't killed me
>> yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from
>> local farmers. I'm still alive.
>>
>> Jill

> Me too.
>
> Cheri

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 16:10:42 -0700, The New Other Guy
> wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:44:34 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> >> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
> >>
> >> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
> >> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
> >> husband's death.
> >>

> >Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany. The
> >courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
> >yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
> >farmers. I'm still alive.

> http://www.thelocal.de/20150821/cour...-in-heidelberg
>
> Cucurbitacins can be recognized by their bitter taste. Any courgette that
> has a strong unpleasant smell or tastes particularly bitter should be
> avoided.
>
> "Cucurbitacins are toxic at high levels, but they are so bitter that it is
> almost impossible for anyone to eat sufficient quantities of the toxins to
> cause significant harm," advises The Food Safety Hazard Guidebook.
>
> If he was YOUNGER, I'd nominate him for a Darwin award!

I remember that some of the zucchini that my grandfather used to grow
had a bitter flavor, but I have never known what it was. So thanks
for the information. I've always wondered.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>>
>> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
>> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
>> husband's death.
>>

>Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany.

I don't think Germany has much to do with it.

>The
>courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
>yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
>farmers. I'm still alive.

Yep, me too... I *have* eaten some quite bitter pickling cucumbers at
times. Anyway, I never knew that bitter taste was in fact a toxin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:54:41 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:44:34 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>>>
>>> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
>>> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
>>> husband's death.
>>>

>>Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany.

>I don't think Germany has much to do with it.
>
>>The
>>courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
>>yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
>>farmers. I'm still alive.

>Yep, me too... I *have* eaten some quite bitter pickling cucumbers at
>times. Anyway, I never knew that bitter taste was in fact a toxin

Courgettes are not of the cucumber family. It used to be that
cucumbers could be very bitter but hybridization has taken care of
that issue.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/12/2015 10:05 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:54:41 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:44:34 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany.

>> I don't think Germany has much to do with it.
>>
>>> The
>>> courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
>>> yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
>>> farmers. I'm still alive.

>> Yep, me too... I *have* eaten some quite bitter pickling cucumbers at
>> times. Anyway, I never knew that bitter taste was in fact a toxin

> Courgettes are not of the cucumber family. It used to be that
> cucumbers could be very bitter but hybridization has taken care of
> that issue.
> Janet US

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:05:46 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:54:41 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 18:44:34 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany.

>>I don't think Germany has much to do with it.
>>
>>>The
>>>courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
>>>yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
>>>farmers. I'm still alive.

>>Yep, me too... I *have* eaten some quite bitter pickling cucumbers at
>>times. Anyway, I never knew that bitter taste was in fact a toxin

>Courgettes are not of the cucumber family.

I think you'll find that it is... It's a cucurtbit, after all.

>It used to be that
>cucumbers could be very bitter but hybridization has taken care of
>that issue.

Yes, pretty much all bred out now, aside from heritage varieties, of
course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2015 8:06 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:05:46 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:06:10 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:05:46 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:54:41 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>I don't think Germany has much to do with it.

>>>Yep, me too... I *have* eaten some quite bitter pickling cucumbers at
>>>times. Anyway, I never knew that bitter taste was in fact a toxin

>>Courgettes are not of the cucumber family.

>I think you'll find that it is... It's a cucurtbit, after all.
>
>>It used to be that
>>cucumbers could be very bitter but hybridization has taken care of
>>that issue.

>Yes, pretty much all bred out now, aside from heritage varieties, of
>course.

Hangs head in shame. You're right. What was I thinking?
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2015 10:14 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:06:10 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:05:46 -0600, Janet B >
>> wrote:

>>> Courgettes are not of the cucumber family.

>> I think you'll find that it is... It's a cucurtbit, after all.
>>
>>> It used to be that
>>> cucumbers could be very bitter but hybridization has taken care of
>>> that issue.

>> Yes, pretty much all bred out now, aside from heritage varieties, of
>> course.

> Hangs head in shame. You're right. What was I thinking?
> Janet US

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:14:59 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:06:10 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:05:46 -0600, Janet B >
>>wrote:

>>>Courgettes are not of the cucumber family.

>>I think you'll find that it is... It's a cucurtbit, after all.
>>
>>>It used to be that
>>>cucumbers could be very bitter but hybridization has taken care of
>>>that issue.

>>Yes, pretty much all bred out now, aside from heritage varieties, of
>>course.

>Hangs head in shame. You're right. What was I thinking?
>Janet US

Is alright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/09/15 00:44, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/6/2015 9:20 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Courgette stew kills pensioner in Heidelberg
>>
>> The widow of a 79-year-old man killed by a courgette stew in southern
>> Germany this week has described the fatal meal that led to her
>> husband's death.
>>

> Who knew? I still don't know. I don't live in Germany. The
> courgettes/zucchinii I've been cooking for 35 years haven't killed me
> yet. Nope, I don't and can't have have a garden. I buy them from local
> farmers. I'm still alive.
>
> Jill

Cougars ARE deadly

Courgette/Zucchini toxicity... who knew? Kokopelli Barbecue 0 12-09-2015 01:30 AM
Courgette or zucchini? Alison General Cooking 4 08-06-2010 08:49 PM
Acetaminophen toxicity cybercat General Cooking 3 02-07-2009 12:07 AM
Question on toxicity Paul Winemaking 8 09-01-2009 07:30 PM
Zucchini [Courgette] Salad Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 27-08-2004 02:13 PM