Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ever Heard of a Beef Clod?

I was flipping through some local channels and found a guy cooking
something called a "clod". He said it's much better than brisket and
costs less, too. I'd never heard of a clod before so I looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_clod

He cooked it on a huge Weber kettle over lump coal, said it would take
8-9 hours.

I'd never seen this guy before. Steven Raichlen.

www.BBQU.net

This was the recipe for an 18 lb clod (which he said will shrink by
about 40%):

http://www.bbqu.net/season4/402_4.html

He also grilled flat iron steaks, which is a cut I've only heard about
here. I've never seen it at Publix. I haven't checked at the meat
market. I still have a couple of NY strips I bought at the Club
closeout last December.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 5:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The shoulder clod is almost always borken

No one cares.

Get OUT!

_,..._
/__ \
>< `. \

/_ \ |
\-_ /:|
,--'..'. :
,' `.
_,' \
_.._,--'' , |
, ,',, _| _,.'| | |
\\||/,'(,' '--'' | | |
_ ||| | /-' |
| | (- -)<`._ | / /
| | \_\O/_/`-.(<< |____/ /
| | / \ / -'| `--.'|
| | \___/ / /
| | H H / | |
|_|_..-H-H--.._ / ,| |
|-.._"_"__..-| | _-/ | |
| | | | \_ |
| Sqwerty | | | | |
| & | |____| | |
| Marty | _..' | |____|
jrei | |_(____..._' _.' |
`-..______..-'"" (___..--'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 7:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:56:31 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I was flipping through some local channels and found a guy cooking
>> something called a "clod". He said it's much better than brisket and
>> costs less, too. I'd never heard of a clod before so I looked it up:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_clod

> The shoulder clod is almost always borken down into other parts. The
> top blade/flatiron, petite tender, arm roasts/steaks, shoulder roasts,
> etc... You never see them whole at the gfrocery store because not
> many people want a 15-20lb hunk of meat and wouldn't know what to do
> with it.
>
> For BBQ, a chuck roll (the chuck section's other half) is preferable
> to a shoulder clod.
>
> -sw

Okey doke. A clod was new to me. I do see large briskets at Publix and
they're waaaay bigger than anything I would bother with.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 5:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was flipping through some local channels and found a guy cooking
> something called a "clod". He said it's much better than brisket and
> costs less, too. I'd never heard of a clod before so I looked it up:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_clod
>
> He cooked it on a huge Weber kettle over lump coal, said it would take
> 8-9 hours.
>
> I'd never seen this guy before. Steven Raichlen.
>
> www.BBQU.net
>
> This was the recipe for an 18 lb clod (which he said will shrink by
> about 40%):
>
> http://www.bbqu.net/season4/402_4.html
>
> He also grilled flat iron steaks, which is a cut I've only heard about
> here. I've never seen it at Publix. I haven't checked at the meat
> market. I still have a couple of NY strips I bought at the Club
> closeout last December.
>
> Jill

I've seen the clod on rare occasion, but never bought one.

Steve Raichlen had a bbq series on TV a few years back. I think it was
on PBS. He has a few books out too. I have one of them and I made a
leg of lamb following one of his recipes and it was excellent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/8/2015 6:05 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> This was the first year I didn't notice

No one cares.

Get OUT!

_,..._
/__ \
>< `. \

/_ \ |
\-_ /:|
,--'..'. :
,' `.
_,' \
_.._,--'' , |
, ,',, _| _,.'| | |
\\||/,'(,' '--'' | | |
_ ||| | /-' |
| | (- -)<`._ | / /
| | \_\O/_/`-.(<< |____/ /
| | / \ / -'| `--.'|
| | \___/ / /
| | H H / | |
|_|_..-H-H--.._ / ,| |
|-.._"_"__..-| | _-/ | |
| | | | \_ |
| Sqwerty | | | | |
| & | |____| | |
| Marty | _..' | |____|
jrei | |_(____..._' _.' |
`-..______..-'"" (___..--'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was flipping through some local channels and found a guy cooking
>something called a "clod". He said it's much better than brisket and costs
>less, too. I'd never heard of a clod before so I looked it up:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_clod
>
> He cooked it on a huge Weber kettle over lump coal, said it would take 8-9
> hours.
>
> I'd never seen this guy before. Steven Raichlen.
>
> www.BBQU.net
>
> This was the recipe for an 18 lb clod (which he said will shrink by about
> 40%):
>
> http://www.bbqu.net/season4/402_4.html
>
> He also grilled flat iron steaks, which is a cut I've only heard about
> here. I've never seen it at Publix. I haven't checked at the meat
> market. I still have a couple of NY strips I bought at the Club closeout
> last December.

I've heard of it and have seen him a lot.

Beef shoulder clod Janet B General Cooking 23 05-06-2016 01:13 AM
Beef Clod Pico Rico[_2_] Barbecue 0 22-01-2013 01:57 AM
Beef Shoulder Clod. Robert Scott General Cooking 6 11-12-2010 03:01 AM
Beef Shoulder Clod Bill[_17_] Barbecue 7 20-06-2007 02:17 PM
Beef shoulder clod Default User Barbecue 4 30-05-2006 05:10 AM