Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Beef Shoulder Clod

Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a shoulder clod.
Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
Thanks

FatBill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bill" > wrote in message

> Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a
> shoulder clod. Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
> Thanks
>
> FatBill

I've never cooked one, but I remember reading a piece by Danny Gauldin
http://www.dannysbbq.com/default.asp (If Danny says it, you can bet on it!),
but I can't find it right now.

Here's the best I can find tonight...
http://www.dannysbbq.com/chat.asp?pid=192
"The easiest way to describe them to you is to say that they are thick,
tough cuts of beef laden with collagen. Cook them long until tender...read
my section on Shoulder Clods. I know of a place or two in Texas that cook
them fairly fast, but they don't turn out very tender and they slice them
thin. Slicing them thin make them appear to be tender...the choice is yours.

Danny"

That's not what I was looking for, but if you look around on his website,
you might be able to find and "read my section on Shoulder Clods"

Basically, what I'm remembering is to cook a clod similarly to the way you'd
cook a brisket.

When I read the article originally, I was looking for directions for a
friend who actually cooked a couple. They turned out great.

Good luck, and if I find anything else, I'll post it.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message

> "Bill" > wrote in message
>
> > Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a
> > shoulder clod. Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
> > Thanks
> >
> > FatBill

Duh! It was right there under "Cooking the Basics"
Danny's Shoulder clod:
http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=79

Good luck. I'll try one exactly the way he describes it, when I can find
one.
;-)

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 18, 8:11 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a shoulder clod.
> Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
> Thanks
>
> FatBill

I've cooked a couple. The ones I've had to cook seemed less fatty
than a brisket, and it's a big, thick chunk o' meat. Due toth e time
constraints when I'm typically cooking them (out "camping"), I'd
probably cut any future ones into halves or thirds, and have an easier
time getting them to my preferred level of tender. Whole, at 12-13
hours of 275, I still found them to be a bit chewy (compared to my
brisket) but most of the folks eating it thought it was great stuff.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 19, 1:08 pm, Jason Tinling > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 8:11 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a shoulder clod.
> > Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
> > Thanks

> > FatBill

> I've cooked a couple. The ones I've had to cook seemed less fatty
> than a brisket, and it's a big, thick chunk o' meat. Due toth e time
> constraints when I'm typically cooking them (out "camping"), I'd
> probably cut any future ones into halves or thirds, and have an easier
> time getting them to my preferred level of tender. Whole, at 12-13
> hours of 275, I still found them to be a bit chewy (compared to my
> brisket) but most of the folks eating it thought it was great stuff.

That's my experience, too.

After moving from Austin Texas, I first encountered shoulder clod in
SPFLD Illinois, where I could not find brisket at all. I cooked one
for a block party (where the State Police Pipe Band played) and I was
quite pleased with the outcome. The Illinoisians were quite vocal in
their liking of the meat. They had never had anything like it.

I've got a wheeled 55 gallon drum offset cooker that I can do two
clods in. I've only done that once, for a caver cookout here in
Richmond, VA. We couldn't get Cryo-vacced briskets until Walmart
showed up here.. and it was a bitch trying to find a real butcher shop
that would sell me a shoulder clod. Here, Ukrops reigns with piddling
packages of meat. The "butchers" look at you oddly when you ask to see
where a piece came from. "It came from a truck" , they will say.

But we now have a couple of high end foodie butchers here, and a
couple of carnicerias and at least one halal butcher who always has
goat and lovely lamb.

T.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 18, 10:11 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a shoulder clod.
> Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
> Thanks
>
> FatBill

You want a beef chuck roll. about 18 lbs, about 2 bux/lb. Sams. You
have to ask for it. Foolproof, and delicious.

Pierre

Beef shoulder clod Janet B General Cooking 23 05-06-2016 01:13 AM
Beef Clod Pico Rico[_2_] Barbecue 0 22-01-2013 01:57 AM
Beef Shoulder Clod. Robert Scott General Cooking 6 11-12-2010 03:01 AM
Video on bbq'ing a beef clod Pierre[_1_] Barbecue 2 13-06-2007 04:59 PM
Beef shoulder clod Default User Barbecue 4 30-05-2006 05:10 AM