Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food

Default Ping: sf - what kind of beans to use in brisket eggrolls?

sf,

I mentioned these smoked brisket and onion eggrolls I'm working on.

No proportions yet but the tentative ingredients list is:

~ Finely chopped and shredded smoked brisket

~ Chopped sauteed onions

~ Mixed shredded provolone and parmesan cheese

~ Firmly cooked beans

~ Egg roll wraps

~ Water and cornstarch to seal

~ Peanut oil to fry in

So here's my question, I need a bean with enough texture to be
toothsome, yet not overpowering in size or taste.

My candidates so far:

~ Lentils - spicy, small, can be cooked firmly.

~ Black beans - again a nice size, color tends to bleed into a dish though.

~ Black eye peas - some of the qualities of lentils in a larger size.

~ Pinto beans - seem a but over-sized for mere eggrolls, might have too
much bulk for this appetizer.

So what say you sf, have a favorite there and if so why?

Or is some other bean on your mind?

I'll play with this until I get the proportions just right and then post it.

Any other suggestions, chip in.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:41:09 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> sf,
>
> I mentioned these smoked brisket and onion eggrolls I'm working on.
>
> No proportions yet but the tentative ingredients list is:
>

> ~ Finely chopped and shredded smoked brisket
>
> ~ Chopped sauteed onions
>
> ~ Mixed shredded provolone and parmesan cheese
>
> ~ Firmly cooked beans
>
> ~ Egg roll wraps
>
> ~ Water and cornstarch to seal
>
> ~ Peanut oil to fry in
>
> So here's my question, I need a bean with enough texture to be
> toothsome, yet not overpowering in size or taste.
>
> My candidates so far:
>
> ~ Lentils - spicy, small, can be cooked firmly.
>
> ~ Black beans - again a nice size, color tends to bleed into a dish though.
>
> ~ Black eye peas - some of the qualities of lentils in a larger size.
>
> ~ Pinto beans - seem a but over-sized for mere eggrolls, might have too
> much bulk for this appetizer.
>

> So what say you sf, have a favorite there and if so why?
>
> Or is some other bean on your mind?
>
> I'll play with this until I get the proportions just right and then post it.
>
> Any other suggestions, chip in.

My favorite all-purpose bean is small white/navy, but I can't
visualize it in this application. I'm also having a hard time
imagining the beans you listed combined with shredded provolone and
parmesan. Small whites would combine well with them - but not with
beef, purely IMO of course. I think you'd be happier with feta for
lentils (which I'm not visualizing with beef either) and queso fresco
or maybe Enchilado, if you can find it, with black or pinto beans -
both of which appeal to me with your shredded brisket.

I think black beans won't bleed if they are well drained (you could
let them sit until they dry) and try slightly mashing pintos first if
you think they are too large to work whole. I'd also season them well
with cumin, garlic etc. A little well drained salsa fresca would also
appeal to me in that mix and I'd change regular onion to green
onion/scallion. Also, I would make sure the beans are cooked until
tender but not falling apart.

As much as I like black eyed peas, combining them with beef doesn't
appeal at all. Try combining them with shrimp and bacon.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2015 3:48 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:41:09 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>
>> sf,
>>
>> I mentioned these smoked brisket and onion eggrolls I'm working on.
>>
>> No proportions yet but the tentative ingredients list is:
>>

>> ~ Finely chopped and shredded smoked brisket
>>
>> ~ Chopped sauteed onions
>>
>> ~ Mixed shredded provolone and parmesan cheese
>>
>> ~ Firmly cooked beans
>>
>> ~ Egg roll wraps
>>
>> ~ Water and cornstarch to seal
>>
>> ~ Peanut oil to fry in
>>
>> So here's my question, I need a bean with enough texture to be
>> toothsome, yet not overpowering in size or taste.
>>
>> My candidates so far:
>>
>> ~ Lentils - spicy, small, can be cooked firmly.
>>
>> ~ Black beans - again a nice size, color tends to bleed into a dish though.
>>
>> ~ Black eye peas - some of the qualities of lentils in a larger size.
>>
>> ~ Pinto beans - seem a but over-sized for mere eggrolls, might have too
>> much bulk for this appetizer.
>>

>> So what say you sf, have a favorite there and if so why?
>>
>> Or is some other bean on your mind?
>>
>> I'll play with this until I get the proportions just right and then post it.
>>
>> Any other suggestions, chip in.
>>

> My favorite all-purpose bean is small white/navy, but I can't
> visualize it in this application. I'm also having a hard time
> imagining the beans you listed combined with shredded provolone and
> parmesan. Small whites would combine well with them - but not with
> beef, purely IMO of course. I think you'd be happier with feta for
> lentils (which I'm not visualizing with beef either) and queso fresco
> or maybe Enchilado, if you can find it, with black or pinto beans -
> both of which appeal to me with your shredded brisket.

I should have mentioned the Queso fresco as it was on my mind too - hard
to pass that by.

I'd sort of had a cheese steak mindset at first, but the drier tang of
the Queso or Feta will spike things nicely.

I love black beans but was worried about the color bleeding too much.

The pintos feel too large to me for eggroll sizing.

> I think black beans won't bleed if they are well drained (you could
> let them sit until they dry) and try slightly mashing pintos first if
> you think they are too large to work whole. I'd also season them well
> with cumin, garlic etc.

Yes, yes!

I'm leaning strongly to the black beans, well drained could get me just
the right look and taste, thanks.

As I consider the lentils would just be too small.

> A little well drained salsa fresca would also
> appeal to me in that mix and I'd change regular onion to green
> onion/scallion.

So go for the snap on the fresh scallions then?

I'm pretty sure the appetizer I'm working backward from had caramelized
sweet onions.

But the fact I need more bean texture confirms some scallion crunch
might be far better suited to this than sauteed onions.

> Also, I would make sure the beans are cooked until
> tender but not falling apart.

Indeed I will, that's the goal, have that slight crunch to them.

> As much as I like black eyed peas, combining them with beef doesn't
> appeal at all. Try combining them with shrimp and bacon.

Well your suggestion on the latter is spot on the money.

We've made a modified cajun style Hoppin' John that way before.

Thanks very much for your thoughts, this will be a fun experiment to
work through!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:23:33 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> Thanks very much for your thoughts, this will be a fun experiment to
> work through!

YW, it will be interesting to hear how it goes!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2015 7:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:23:33 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much for your thoughts, this will be a fun experiment to
>> work through!

> YW, it will be interesting to hear how it goes!

I do need to start snapping some pics, not sure if ES will propagate them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2015 7:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:48:35 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:41:09 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>>
>>> sf,
>>>
>>> I mentioned these smoked brisket and onion eggrolls I'm working on.
>>>
>>> No proportions yet but the tentative ingredients list is:
>>>
>>> ~ Finely chopped and shredded smoked brisket
>>>
>>> ~ Chopped sauteed onions
>>>
>>> ~ Mixed shredded provolone and parmesan cheese
>>>
>>> ~ Firmly cooked beans
>>>
>>> ~ Egg roll wraps

> Eeek. That sounds awful.
>
> -sw

Feel free to resume cruising your local fast food joints, hamster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:04:39 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> On 6/18/2015 7:08 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:23:33 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks very much for your thoughts, this will be a fun experiment to
> >> work through!

> > YW, it will be interesting to hear how it goes!

> I do need to start snapping some pics, not sure if ES will propagate them.

Upload your pics to tinypic.com and post a link from there.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:07:10 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> On 6/18/2015 7:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> > Eeek. That sounds awful.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Feel free to resume cruising your local fast food joints, hamster.

Most of his stuff not only sounds awful, it looks awful too. That
said, his crab/avocado pic that you copied looked great to me.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2015 10:23 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:04:39 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>>> YW, it will be interesting to hear how it goes!

>> I do need to start snapping some pics, not sure if ES will propagate them.

> Upload your pics to tinypic.com and post a link from there.

Duh!

I knew that!

Lol.

Do they strip all the exiff information?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2015 10:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:07:10 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

>>> Eeek. That sounds awful.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Feel free to resume cruising your local fast food joints, hamster.

> Most of his stuff not only sounds awful, it looks awful too. That
> said, his crab/avocado pic that you copied looked great to me.

Blind pig/acorn?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:54:11 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:

> Do they strip all the exiff information?

I never look for that info - but it seems not to.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2015 11:14 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:54:11 -0600, La Mirada > wrote:
>
>> Do they strip all the exiff information?

> I never look for that info - but it seems not to.

Excellent!