Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default R.I.P. Marguerite Patten, 99, UK food writer and television chef

Lots of obits. Check Google News, too.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...te +patten+99

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...n-dies-aged-99

Cookery writer Marguerite Patten, the author of more than 170 books, has died aged 99, her family said.

Patten was famed for her no-nonsense approach to home economics, and was employed by the Ministry of Food during the second world war to advise Britons on how to make the most of their rations.

She was the host of the BBC's Kitchen Front, offering up recipes using powdered egg and spam for Britain during the blitz.

She made her first television appearance in 1947 and was a regular guest on both Masterchef and Ready Steady Cook in later years.
ADVERTISING

Despite being given a CBE for services to cookery, and having sold 17 million copies of her books, Patten always refused to call herself a "celebrity chef".

"I am not," she told the Telegraph, in one of her last interviews. "To the day I die I will be a home economist."...

(snip)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/wo...t-99.html?_r=0

By William Grimes

Marguerite Patten, a home economist who told ration-pinched British families how to make a satisfying meal out of nothing during World War II, and later became one of the country's first television chefs and the author of more than 170 cookbooks aimed at average Britons, died on June 4 in Richmond, Surrey. She was 99.

Her death was announced by her family.

Known as the queen of ration-book cuisine, Ms. Patten worked in the advice division of the Ministry of Food, which was created in 1939 to oversee food distribution during the war.

She went to markets, hospitals and factory canteens, offering tips and giving demonstrations on how to make something out of virtually nothing, with wartime creations like "mock cream" and "mock duck." She also dispensed advice and recipes on "The Kitchen Front," a morning radio program on the BBC.

In the austerity years after the war, with rationing still in force, Ms. Patten continued to help British housewives desperate to put a meal on the table, introducing them to the pleasures of Spam and other exotica. When rationing came to an end in 1954, she incorporated new ingredients like olive oil and avocados into sensible, low-cost dishes that required a minimum of effort and time, primarily through her cookbooks, which sold some 17 million copies all told...

(snip)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Lots of obits. Check Google News, too.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...te +patten+99
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...n-dies-aged-99
>
> Cookery writer Marguerite Patten, the author of more than 170 books, has
> died aged 99, her family said.
>
> Patten was famed for her no-nonsense approach to home economics, and was
> employed by the Ministry of Food during the second world war to advise
> Britons on how to make the most of their rations.
>
> She was the host of the BBC's Kitchen Front, offering up recipes using
> powdered egg and spam for Britain during the blitz.
>
> She made her first television appearance in 1947 and was a regular guest
> on both Masterchef and Ready Steady Cook in later years.
> ADVERTISING
>
> Despite being given a CBE for services to cookery, and having sold 17
> million copies of her books, Patten always refused to call herself a
> "celebrity chef".
>
> "I am not," she told the Telegraph, in one of her last interviews. "To the
> day I die I will be a home economist."...
>
> (snip)
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/wo...t-99.html?_r=0
>
> By William Grimes
>

> Marguerite Patten, a home economist who told ration-pinched British
> families how to make a satisfying meal out of nothing during World War II,
> and later became one of the country's first television chefs and the
> author of more than 170 cookbooks aimed at average Britons, died on June 4
> in Richmond, Surrey. She was 99.
>
> Her death was announced by her family.
>
> Known as the queen of ration-book cuisine, Ms. Patten worked in the advice
> division of the Ministry of Food, which was created in 1939 to oversee
> food distribution during the war.
>
> She went to markets, hospitals and factory canteens, offering tips and
> giving demonstrations on how to make something out of virtually nothing,
> with wartime creations like "mock cream" and "mock duck." She also
> dispensed advice and recipes on "The Kitchen Front," a morning radio
> program on the BBC.
>
> In the austerity years after the war, with rationing still in force, Ms.
> Patten continued to help British housewives desperate to put a meal on the
> table, introducing them to the pleasures of Spam and other exotica. When
> rationing came to an end in 1954, she incorporated new ingredients like
> olive oil and avocados into sensible, low-cost dishes that required a
> minimum of effort and time, primarily through her cookbooks, which sold
> some 17 million copies all told...
>
> (snip)

I knew of her and her cooking my whole life. I didn't realise she would be
of such interest to you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 3:43:13 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I knew of her and her cooking my whole life. I didn't realise she would be
> of such interest to you.

Actually, I doubt I ever heard of her before her death. Just thought other people would want to know.

I found her at genarians.com, in the In Memoriam page.

For famous living people over 90, one has to click on individual years. If you click on 1915, you'll see that a certain cookbook author and one of the founders of Williams-Sonoma will be turning 100 in October - one hopes. Aside from cuisine, Herman Wouk and David Rockefeller just turned 100...

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

Lots of obits. Check Google News, too.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...te +patten+99

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...n-dies-aged-99

Cookery writer Marguerite Patten, the author of more than 170 books, has
died aged 99, her family said.

Patten was famed for her no-nonsense approach to home economics, and was
employed by the Ministry of Food during the second world war to advise
Britons on how to make the most of their rations.

She was the host of the BBC's Kitchen Front, offering up recipes using
powdered egg and spam for Britain during the blitz.

She made her first television appearance in 1947 and was a regular guest on
both Masterchef and Ready Steady Cook in later years.
ADVERTISING

Despite being given a CBE for services to cookery, and having sold 17
million copies of her books, Patten always refused to call herself a
"celebrity chef".

"I am not," she told the Telegraph, in one of her last interviews. "To the
day I die I will be a home economist."...

(snip)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/wo...t-99.html?_r=0

By William Grimes

Marguerite Patten, a home economist who told ration-pinched British families
how to make a satisfying meal out of nothing during World War II, and later
became one of the country's first television chefs and the author of more
than 170 cookbooks aimed at average Britons, died on June 4 in Richmond,
Surrey. She was 99.

Her death was announced by her family.

Known as the queen of ration-book cuisine, Ms. Patten worked in the advice
division of the Ministry of Food, which was created in 1939 to oversee food
distribution during the war.

She went to markets, hospitals and factory canteens, offering tips and
giving demonstrations on how to make something out of virtually nothing,
with wartime creations like "mock cream" and "mock duck." She also dispensed
advice and recipes on "The Kitchen Front," a morning radio program on the
BBC.

In the austerity years after the war, with rationing still in force, Ms.
Patten continued to help British housewives desperate to put a meal on the
table, introducing them to the pleasures of Spam and other exotica. When
rationing came to an end in 1954, she incorporated new ingredients like
olive oil and avocados into sensible, low-cost dishes that required a
minimum of effort and time, primarily through her cookbooks, which sold some
17 million copies all told...

(snip)

Lenona.

-----------

First time I ever hear SPAM referred to as "exotica". And probably the
last.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 7:02:53 AM UTC-10, taxed and spent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> Lots of obits. Check Google News, too.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...te +patten+99
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...n-dies-aged-99
>
> Cookery writer Marguerite Patten, the author of more than 170 books, has
> died aged 99, her family said.
>
> Patten was famed for her no-nonsense approach to home economics, and was
> employed by the Ministry of Food during the second world war to advise
> Britons on how to make the most of their rations.
>
> She was the host of the BBC's Kitchen Front, offering up recipes using
> powdered egg and spam for Britain during the blitz.
>
> She made her first television appearance in 1947 and was a regular guest on
> both Masterchef and Ready Steady Cook in later years.
> ADVERTISING
>
> Despite being given a CBE for services to cookery, and having sold 17
> million copies of her books, Patten always refused to call herself a
> "celebrity chef".
>
> "I am not," she told the Telegraph, in one of her last interviews. "To the
> day I die I will be a home economist."...
>
> (snip)
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/wo...t-99.html?_r=0
>
> By William Grimes
>

> Marguerite Patten, a home economist who told ration-pinched British families
> how to make a satisfying meal out of nothing during World War II, and later
> became one of the country's first television chefs and the author of more
> than 170 cookbooks aimed at average Britons, died on June 4 in Richmond,
> Surrey. She was 99.
>
> Her death was announced by her family.
>
> Known as the queen of ration-book cuisine, Ms. Patten worked in the advice
> division of the Ministry of Food, which was created in 1939 to oversee food
> distribution during the war.
>
> She went to markets, hospitals and factory canteens, offering tips and
> giving demonstrations on how to make something out of virtually nothing,
> with wartime creations like "mock cream" and "mock duck." She also dispensed
> advice and recipes on "The Kitchen Front," a morning radio program on the
> BBC.
>
> In the austerity years after the war, with rationing still in force, Ms.
> Patten continued to help British housewives desperate to put a meal on the
> table, introducing them to the pleasures of Spam and other exotica. When
> rationing came to an end in 1954, she incorporated new ingredients like
> olive oil and avocados into sensible, low-cost dishes that required a
> minimum of effort and time, primarily through her cookbooks, which sold some
> 17 million copies all told...
>
> (snip)
>

> Lenona.

> First time I ever hear SPAM referred to as "exotica". And probably the
> last.

A block of material that's made from meat paste and cooked in the can - that sounds pretty exotic to me! :-)