Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Tips on Cleaning Burnt On Gunk from a Pot?

So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.

Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
as ship armor?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-24 3:03 PM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

Pour in some cheap white vinegar and let it.... or use some dish washer
detergent with water and let it boil... boil boil. I once burned some
honey garlic sauce in a Paderno pot and the dish washer detergent did
the trick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:03:44 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

>So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
>night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
>Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>as ship armor?

Thermite.

;-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've often wondered in burying such a pot in the garden will work. Maybe the outdoor insects etc. will eat off the crud. If the pot is already ruined there is nothing to lose.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 9:03 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

That must have been some tasty pasta or some wonderful TV programming.

I'd just use lye or spray it with lye-based oven-cleaner, then go back
to watching TV. Don't use lye if it's an aluminum pan though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 3:03:49 PM UTC-4, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

I favor a strong baking soda solution. Simmer it in the pot. Let it
soak.

Barkeeper's Friend might work for the last little bit. Caution: BKF
is acidic. Rinse out baking soda before applying BKF.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 4/24/2015 9:03 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner
>> last
>> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>>
>> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>> as ship armor?
>>

> That must have been some tasty pasta or some wonderful TV programming.
>
> I'd just use lye or spray it with lye-based oven-cleaner, then go back to
> watching TV. Don't use lye if it's an aluminum pan though.

For me it would depend on the type of pot.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 1:03 PM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

Id start with boiling water and vinegar in it for a spell, see what
breaks loose.

Was it non-stick or some other type?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 10:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 4/24/2015 9:03 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for
>>> dinner last
>>> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to
>>> eat
>>> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling
>>> rapidly
>>> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>>> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>>> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for
>>> use
>>> as ship armor?
>>>

>> That must have been some tasty pasta or some wonderful TV programming.
>>
>> I'd just use lye or spray it with lye-based oven-cleaner, then go back
>> to watching TV. Don't use lye if it's an aluminum pan though.

> For me it would depend on the type of pot.

I guess I'm not a natural kind of person. I like chemicals to do my
dirty work. The power of lye is awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 4/24/2015 10:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> That must have been some tasty pasta or some wonderful TV programming.
>>>
>>> I'd just use lye or spray it with lye-based oven-cleaner, then go back
>>> to watching TV. Don't use lye if it's an aluminum pan though.

>> For me it would depend on the type of pot.
>>

> I guess I'm not a natural kind of person. I like chemicals to do my dirty
> work. The power of lye is awesome!

Careful it doesn't burn you up <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
>night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
>Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>as ship armor?

Well, I burned some rice in my favorite (steel) pot at one point, I
was able to break lose 99% of it with various steel implements, but
that left a nasty black coating mostly on the bottom, maybe 1/16"
thick in places.

I tried boiling salt water, I tried boiling white vinegar, I tried
leaving white vinagar in it for a day or three, and after each I
washed, scrubbed, and a little more came off.

Finally it was still nasty looking and not smooth, but maybe not so
bad, and I figured, hey, if it's stuck on THAT well, why not just cook
on it?

And I did.

After a few weeks, maybe a dozen more uses, I noticed it was slowly
clearing off. Whether into my stomach or the sink, I cannot say.

But it's pretty much back to normal now!

J.

ps - your mileage may vary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 12:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> For me it would depend on the type of pot.
>>>

>> I guess I'm not a natural kind of person. I like chemicals to do my
>> dirty work. The power of lye is awesome!

> Careful it doesn't burn you up <g>

Hee, hee. I'm always getting burned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook wrote:

>So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
>night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
>Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>as ship armor?

Ordinary household ammonia... place the pot into a plastic garbage bag
with a couple three ounces household ammonia and seal... do this
outdoors, it's the fumes that clean, not the liquid... 24 hours later
wash pot as usual. Great way to clean stove/grill grates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 130...
> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner
> last
> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

I have done that with simple syrup a couple of times. I put water in it,
bring it to a boil, remove from heat and add a good amount of vinegar,
usually around a cupful. Then set it out in the garage for a couple of days
and I have been successful in cleaning the pot up, especially when it's a
favorite pot, it still takes some elbow grease though.

Not so long ago someone mentioned placing the pot in a bag, set a cup of
ammonia inside the bag and close the bag. I left it on the patio for a day
or so and it did work pretty well, not to hard to clean it off. Don't know
if that would work for your problem though. Good luck.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

First, fill the pot with water and automatic dishwasher detergent and let it sit
for a day or two. If some of it comes off, do it again.

If that doesn't work, there is a product called "Sokoff" that might work.

In any event, some or a lot of elbow grease will probably be required.
Good luck.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2015 6:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Alan Holbrook wrote:
>
>> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
>> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>>
>> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>> as ship armor?

> Ordinary household ammonia... place the pot into a plastic garbage bag
> with a couple three ounces household ammonia and seal... do this
> outdoors, it's the fumes that clean, not the liquid... 24 hours later
> wash pot as usual. Great way to clean stove/grill grates.

Awesome tip!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 4/24/2015 12:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I guess I'm not a natural kind of person. I like chemicals to do my
>>> dirty work. The power of lye is awesome!

>> Careful it doesn't burn you up <g>
>>

> Hee, hee. I'm always getting burned.

I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 130...
> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner
> last
> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

Cover the burned spot with a thick layer of baking soda and some water.
Bring to a boil and let it boil dry. Let cool. Rinse it out. The burned
stuff should pop right out. If it doesn't or there is some stuff left,
repeat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
> . 130...
>> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner
>> last
>> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>>
>> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>> as ship armor?

> I have done that with simple syrup a couple of times. I put water in it,
> bring it to a boil, remove from heat and add a good amount of vinegar,
> usually around a cupful. Then set it out in the garage for a couple of
> days and I have been successful in cleaning the pot up, especially when
> it's a favorite pot, it still takes some elbow grease though.
>
> Not so long ago someone mentioned placing the pot in a bag, set a cup of
> ammonia inside the bag and close the bag. I left it on the patio for a day
> or so and it did work pretty well, not to hard to clean it off. Don't know
> if that would work for your problem though. Good luck.

Would that work with any kind of pot?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 3:03:49 PM UTC-4, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
> as ship armor?

It sort of depends on what kind of material the pot is made of. If it were a cast iron pot, you could put it in a self cleaning oven and turn on the clean cycle. If it's stainless steel, oven cleaner should do it or any of the several ideas already posted using various chemicals. For aluminum or aluminum coated with some sort of non-stick, I'd probably toss it and go buy a stainless steel replacement.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, VA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:46:03 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> Careful it doesn't burn you up <g>
> >>

> > Hee, hee. I'm always getting burned.

> I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 11:17 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:46:03 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Hee, hee. I'm always getting burned.

>> I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

Zowie!

You need some extra long BBQ mits!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>> > Hee, hee. I'm always getting burned.

>> I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)
>>

> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These days
> I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them and
> balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the oven
> pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

Not something I would describe as 'exciting'!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 8:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)
>>>

>> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
>> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These
>> days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them
>> and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the
>> oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

> Not something I would describe as 'exciting'!

I'm into cheap thrills.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 1:17:16 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:46:03 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > Hee, hee. I'm always getting burned.

> > I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

Get yourself some long oven mitts, like these:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...C/IMG_0660.jpg

Those came from Arizona Restaurant Supply in Tucson, but I'm sure
you can find them elsewhere and on-line.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 9:30 AM, wrote:
> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 1:17:16 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I'm not too sure which way to take that ... ;-)
>>>
>>> --

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

> Get yourself some long oven mitts, like these:
>
> http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...C/IMG_0660.jpg
>
> Those came from Arizona Restaurant Supply in Tucson, but I'm sure
> you can find them elsewhere and on-line.

Those would work just swell. I'm not much of an oven mitt kind of guy.
If that's a photo of your home, it's pretty amazing. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
>>> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These
>>> days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them
>>> and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the
>>> oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

>> Not something I would describe as 'exciting'!
>>

> I'm into cheap thrills.

In which case I just hope the medical attention it might require isn't too
expensive

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 1:41 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 9:30 AM, wrote:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>>> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
>>> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These
>>> days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them
>>> and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the
>>> oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

>> Get yourself some long oven mitts, like these:
>>
>> http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...C/IMG_0660.jpg
>>
>> Those came from Arizona Restaurant Supply in Tucson, but I'm sure
>> you can find them elsewhere and on-line.
>>

> Those would work just swell. I'm not much of an oven mitt kind of guy.
> If that's a photo of your home, it's pretty amazing. Thanks.

Not cheap, but my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichle.../dp/B0007ZGURU

They're kind of a rip off of welder's gloves, which would also work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 12:15 PM, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 1:41 PM, dsi1 wrote:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>>> Get yourself some long oven mitts, like these:
>>>
>>> http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/...C/IMG_0660.jpg
>>>
>>> Those came from Arizona Restaurant Supply in Tucson, but I'm sure
>>> you can find them elsewhere and on-line.
>>>

>> Those would work just swell. I'm not much of an oven mitt kind of guy.
>> If that's a photo of your home, it's pretty amazing. Thanks.

> Not cheap, but my favorite:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichle.../dp/B0007ZGURU
>
> They're kind of a rip off of welder's gloves, which would also work.

They sure do resemble welder's gloves. My dad had that and the helmet
and the thingie you use to light the torch. He never did teach me how to
weld though. That would have been so cool. He once got his glove caught
in a drill press. It ripped the glove off his hand but his finger was
still in it. It's probably not a good idea to be operating a drill press
with gloves on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 4:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 12:15 PM, W. Lohman wrote:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>>> Those would work just swell. I'm not much of an oven mitt kind of guy.
>>> If that's a photo of your home, it's pretty amazing. Thanks.

>> Not cheap, but my favorite:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichle.../dp/B0007ZGURU
>>
>> They're kind of a rip off of welder's gloves, which would also work.

> They sure do resemble welder's gloves. My dad had that and the helmet
> and the thingie you use to light the torch. He never did teach me how to
> weld though. That would have been so cool. He once got his glove caught
> in a drill press. It ripped the glove off his hand but his finger was
> still in it. It's probably not a good idea to be operating a drill press
> with gloves on.

<shudder>

That's a gruesome memory for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 12:47 PM, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 4:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>>> Not cheap, but my favorite:
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichle.../dp/B0007ZGURU
>>>
>>> They're kind of a rip off of welder's gloves, which would also work.

>> They sure do resemble welder's gloves. My dad had that and the helmet
>> and the thingie you use to light the torch. He never did teach me how to
>> weld though. That would have been so cool. He once got his glove caught
>> in a drill press. It ripped the glove off his hand but his finger was
>> still in it. It's probably not a good idea to be operating a drill press
>> with gloves on.
>>

> <shudder>
>
> That's a gruesome memory for sure.

He had the sinews that were attached to his elbow ripped out. Getting it
back in there sounds tough! The important lesson here is do not operate
these kinds of machines while your wife in in the hospital in a coma.
It's a pretty specific set of circumstances but maybe it could help
someone one of these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 5:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 12:47 PM, W. Lohman wrote:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>>> They sure do resemble welder's gloves. My dad had that and the helmet
>>> and the thingie you use to light the torch. He never did teach me how to
>>> weld though. That would have been so cool. He once got his glove caught
>>> in a drill press. It ripped the glove off his hand but his finger was
>>> still in it. It's probably not a good idea to be operating a drill press
>>> with gloves on.
>>>

>> <shudder>
>>
>> That's a gruesome memory for sure.

> He had the sinews that were attached to his elbow ripped out. Getting it
> back in there sounds tough! The important lesson here is do not operate
> these kinds of machines while your wife in in the hospital in a coma.

Oh no, adding injury to insult, literally!

> It's a pretty specific set of circumstances but maybe it could help
> someone one of these days.

Any loose garment around power tools, or longer hair - disaster pending.

And remove watches and all rings too.

I believe astronaut John Glenn lost a wedding ring finger under
accidental circumstances.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 22:16:49 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>On 4/24/2015 6:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>
>>> So I was making some pasta with a cheese sauce on the stove for dinner last
>>> night, and when it was done, I slopped some on a plate and went in to eat
>>> in front of the TV. About 20 minutes later, the house is filling rapidly
>>> with the stench of burnt cheese and pasta. Seems I didn't read the last
>>> step of the recipe, which said to turn off the burner when I was done.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any tips on how to get carbonized pasta and cheese out of a
>>> thoroughly scorched pot? Or should I just send it to the US Navy for use
>>> as ship armor?

>> Ordinary household ammonia... place the pot into a plastic garbage bag
>> with a couple three ounces household ammonia and seal... do this
>> outdoors, it's the fumes that clean, not the liquid... 24 hours later
>> wash pot as usual. Great way to clean stove/grill grates.
>>

>Awesome tip!

Works every time... for really badly crusted let sit two, even three
days... two warnings, do this outdoors and NEVER mix ammonia with
other cleaning chemicals, never bleach, never detergent... a mixture
of ammonia and detergent with some metals (like SS) can create a
horrendous fire, worse than a magnesium fire, can burn clear through
concrete... ammonia and chlorine bleach will create a deadly gas. Use
household ammonia exactly how I described, do not experiment. There's
plenty of info on the net.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 5:11 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 22:16:49 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>>> Ordinary household ammonia... place the pot into a plastic garbage bag
>>> with a couple three ounces household ammonia and seal... do this
>>> outdoors, it's the fumes that clean, not the liquid... 24 hours later
>>> wash pot as usual. Great way to clean stove/grill grates.
>>>

>> Awesome tip!

> Works every time... for really badly crusted let sit two, even three
> days... two warnings, do this outdoors and NEVER mix ammonia with
> other cleaning chemicals, never bleach, never detergent... a mixture
> of ammonia and detergent with some metals (like SS) can create a
> horrendous fire, worse than a magnesium fire, can burn clear through
> concrete... ammonia and chlorine bleach will create a deadly gas. Use
> household ammonia exactly how I described, do not experiment. There's
> plenty of info on the net.

I appreciate the no-mixing warning, that I was aware of. Your
description of the resultant fire is on the money. I will not exposit on
how I cam to learn such chemistry in my younger years, but at least I
have no scars and both eyes.

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 1:10 PM, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 5:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>>> <shudder>
>>>
>>> That's a gruesome memory for sure.

>> He had the sinews that were attached to his elbow ripped out. Getting it
>> back in there sounds tough! The important lesson here is do not operate
>> these kinds of machines while your wife in in the hospital in a coma.

> Oh no, adding injury to insult, literally!
>
>> It's a pretty specific set of circumstances but maybe it could help
>> someone one of these days.

> Any loose garment around power tools, or longer hair - disaster pending.
>
> And remove watches and all rings too.
>
> I believe astronaut John Glenn lost a wedding ring finger under
> accidental circumstances.

I used to run a small printing press so I never wore rings. To this day
I still won't wear a ring. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 1:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.

I find an oven glove easier than a balancing act.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in :

> On 4/25/2015 5:11 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

My thanks to everyone who offerred suggestions. This time, I went with
boiling water, a good long soak,and then BKF and elbow grease, repeated the
cycle a couple of times, and got the thing nice and clean. But I've noted
all the other suggestions and if I'm that boneheaded again in future, I'll
undoubtedly try one of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 3:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 1:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
>> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These
>> days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them
>> and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the
>> oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.
>>

> I find an oven glove easier than a balancing act.

There's no doubt about that but using a glove is kinda boring. I did
have a pair of silicone mitts - damn, I hated those things! I'll do
anything (practically) to avoid using them. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 2:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 3:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/25/2015 1:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
>>> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These
>>> days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them
>>> and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the
>>> oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.
>>>

>> I find an oven glove easier than a balancing act.

> There's no doubt about that but using a glove is kinda boring. I did
> have a pair of silicone mitts - damn, I hated those things! I'll do
> anything (practically) to avoid using them. :-)

One of the few kitchen items I literally garage-saled within a year!

No tactile sensation, too thick, awkward, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 10:37:01 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 4/25/2015 3:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 4/25/2015 1:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >

> >> I get burned a lot, literally. My problem is that I'm not afraid of
> >> getting burned and tend to cook at high heat with a lot of oil. These
> >> days I'll take hot pans out of the oven by sliding a knife under them
> >> and balancing the pan on the knife. It makes taking a pan out of the
> >> oven pretty exciting. Hee, hee.
> >>

> > I find an oven glove easier than a balancing act.

> There's no doubt about that but using a glove is kinda boring. I did
> have a pair of silicone mitts - damn, I hated those things! I'll do
> anything (practically) to avoid using them. :-)

I hate oven mitts, but pot holders are easy enough to use.

--

sf