Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Today's Rant: chip bags that tear

I bought a Mexican-sounding bag of tortilla chips instead of my usual,
Mission. Cutting the top off carefully soon resulted in a tear down to
the bag's navel. Now I will have to put this bag in a ziplock to keep
the chips from going stale, instead of just using a ChipClip.

Pfui.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 7:07:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I bought a Mexican-sounding bag of tortilla chips instead of my usual,
> Mission. Cutting the top off carefully soon resulted in a tear down to
> the bag's navel. Now I will have to put this bag in a ziplock to keep
> the chips from going stale, instead of just using a ChipClip.
>
> Pfui.

The "Clancey's" brand tortilla chip bag did the same thing here about an
hour ago.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I bought a Mexican-sounding bag of tortilla chips instead of my usual,
> Mission. Cutting the top off carefully soon resulted in a tear down to
> the bag's navel. Now I will have to put this bag in a ziplock to keep
> the chips from going stale, instead of just using a ChipClip.
>
> Pfui.

I have been noticing that with more and more things. I think they are
trying to make the plastic thinner or something. Doesn't work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:11:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:52:24 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> <pbbbt> Who cuts the tops off of potato chip bags? You pull apart
>> the sides of the bags near the top until the seal at the top splits
>> apart. Unless they're Kettle brand chips then you need to monster
>> trucks pulling at each side.
>>
>> This guy is a little rough about it but you get the idea.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSwWh7KIyE

>I should also note that leaves the "selvage edge" <snork> in tact
>which is stronger than the rest of the bag and prevents it from
>tearing better than if you had cut off the top.

I usually try that, but as often as not it results in a propagating
tear anyway. Then I try to find any other bag I can put around the
bag, I seldom transfer the chips to something else.

J.

>-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in news:meis6c$ukq$1@dont-
email.me:

> > wrote in message
>>I bought a Mexican-sounding bag of tortilla chips instead of my usual,
>> Mission. Cutting the top off carefully soon resulted in a tear down to
>> the bag's navel. Now I will have to put this bag in a ziplock to keep
>> the chips from going stale, instead of just using a ChipClip.
>>
>> Pfui.

> I have been noticing that with more and more things. I think they are
> trying to make the plastic thinner or something. Doesn't work.

Yep. Me too. Several such problems lately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:09:01 -0700, JRStern >
wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:11:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 23:52:24 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> <pbbbt> Who cuts the tops off of potato chip bags? You pull apart
> >> the sides of the bags near the top until the seal at the top splits
> >> apart. Unless they're Kettle brand chips then you need to monster
> >> trucks pulling at each side.
> >>
> >> This guy is a little rough about it but you get the idea.
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSwWh7KIyE

> >I should also note that leaves the "selvage edge" <snork> in tact
> >which is stronger than the rest of the bag and prevents it from
> >tearing better than if you had cut off the top.

> I usually try that, but as often as not it results in a propagating
> tear anyway. Then I try to find any other bag I can put around the
> bag, I seldom transfer the chips to something else.

I agree. It's getting harder and harder to open bags that way
anymore. I don't know if the bags are thinner or the glue is
stronger, but pulling them apart doesn't work the way it used to.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in news:meis6c$ukq$1@dont-
> email.me:
>

>> > wrote in message
>>>I bought a Mexican-sounding bag of tortilla chips instead of my usual,
>>> Mission. Cutting the top off carefully soon resulted in a tear down to
>>> the bag's navel. Now I will have to put this bag in a ziplock to keep
>>> the chips from going stale, instead of just using a ChipClip.
>>>
>>> Pfui.

>> I have been noticing that with more and more things. I think they are
>> trying to make the plastic thinner or something. Doesn't work.
>>

> Yep. Me too. Several such problems lately.

Many years ago, shredded cheese in a bag was a new item in my grocery store.
I know that food service had it prior because we had it where I worked but
this was the first time I had seen it for the general public to buy. And
back then, there were two kinds. One in a resealable bag and one in a bag
that didn't reseal. I was making quesadillas and I couldn't get the bag to
open. I had paid the extra money for the resealable bag.

When I asked my dad for help in opening the bag, he grabbed a pair of
scissors and cut the bag open, below the part where it would seal. I read
him the riot act!

Now the cheese all comes in resealable bags and some lunch meat and other
things too. But they don't always work. Sometimes you have no choice but
to cut them open. Sometimes they just won't seal. Sometimes you buy
resealable bags and they just won't seal. It's maddening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:09:01 -0700, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:11:59 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >I should also note that leaves the "selvage edge" <snork> in tact
>> >which is stronger than the rest of the bag and prevents it from
>> >tearing better than if you had cut off the top.

>> I usually try that, but as often as not it results in a propagating
>> tear anyway. Then I try to find any other bag I can put around the
>> bag, I seldom transfer the chips to something else.
>>

> I agree. It's getting harder and harder to open bags that way
> anymore. I don't know if the bags are thinner or the glue is
> stronger, but pulling them apart doesn't work the way it used to.

I have bought little individually wrapped things that you'd think would be
made for portable eating and yet they required scissors to open. Not fun
when I am out and having a hypo and need to eat. I've had to try tweezers
or nail clippers to open them.

Then there was the famous Skittles incident at the dance studio. This was
several years ago. I had been at the grocery store and I saw a huge bag of
Skittles in the clearance cart. It was some sort of holiday, but now I
can't remember which one. So I bought it and left it front of Angela's
locker so she could share them.

When it came time to open the bag, the girls passed it around, struggling
because it would not open. And instead of going to get a pair of scissors
from the desk, Angela tried one last time and it just sort of rained Skittle
everywhere. They did each get one or two but that was all that remained in
the bag.