hob

Default Chip steak - where is it today?

Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

--
------

RobtE

hob wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
> paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
> area it was called chip steak.
>
> They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
> were served in a bun.
>
> Anyone know of a source for these patties?

They sound similar to what we used to get in MI, except that ours were
called Sizzle Steaks. IFRC, there were 4 sizzle steaks per pack, on a
styrofoam tray, covered with a clingfilm sort of wrapping. As you say,
they were cooked from frozen.

I asked about Sizzle Steaks here a year ago or so, but no one seemed to
know anything about them.

I wish we had something similar in the UK. Cheap and nasty food to some,
I suppose, but they sure were tasty.

RobtE
Alan Shutko

RobtE > writes:

> I asked about Sizzle Steaks here a year ago or so, but no one seemed to
> know anything about them.

Well, in NW Indiana where I grew up, "sizzle steaks" were tri-tip
steaks....

--
Alan Shutko > - I am the rocks.
Conspiracy theory: Humpty Dumpty was pushed.
Andy

"hob" > wrote in
:

> Hi...
>
> Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
> paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In
> our area it was called chip steak.
>
> They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan,
> and they were served in a bun.
>
> Anyone know of a source for these patties?

I get chip steak from my local butcher. Here, it's used to make Philly
cheesesteaks. It's usually top round roast that's semi-frozen then
sliced paper thin through a meat slicer.

Call around to some local butchers is your best bet.

Good luck,

Andy
I-zheet M'drurz

Andy spaketh thusly:
> "hob" > wrote:

>> Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen
>> or so paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round
>> "pattie". In our area it was called chip steak.
>>
>> They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the
>> pan, and they were served in a bun.

> I get chip steak from my local butcher. Here, it's used to make
> Philly cheesesteaks. It's usually top round roast that's
> semi-frozen then sliced paper thin through a meat slicer.
>
> Call around to some local butchers is your best bet.

Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get 'em
frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some variation of the
name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging. The ones we get are
IQF with wax sheets in between, so you only need to take 'em out
of the freezer as you need them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
don't you? :-)

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)

Hal Laurent

They're sometimes called "minute steaks".

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Dimitri

"hob" > wrote in message
> Hi...
>
> Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
> paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
> area it was called chip steak.
>
> They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
> were served in a bun.
>
> Anyone know of a source for these patties?

I think now all gone - the brand was Camp's and the product was a "Minute Steak"
in the frozen meat section.

Dimitri

Andy

"I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in
:

Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

> And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
> debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
> you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
> don't you? :-)

The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen cheesesteaks in a
box, located right next to the steakums in the freezer section.

Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell it's
meat.

Andy
I-zheet M'drurz

Andy spaketh thusly:
> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote:

>> Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get
>> 'em frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some
>> variation of the name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging.
>> The ones we get are IQF with wax sheets in between, so you
>> only need to take 'em out of the freezer as you need them,
>> don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

> Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

:-) Yep, that's our boys.

>> And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook
>> snob debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two
>> guys) but you *do* realize you're essentially talking about
>> "Steak-Ums", don't you? :-)

> The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen
> cheesesteaks in a box, located right next to the steakums in the
> freezer section.
>
> Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell
> it's meat.

OK, I'll admit it's been ages since I've actually *tasted* a
Steakum, but the visual similarity is what I remember. I don't
doubt that the Phillysteaks are better quality (just like a lot
of other similar things in life).

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
hob

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get 'em
> > frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some variation of the
> > name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging. The ones we get are
> > IQF with wax sheets in between, so you only need to take 'em out
> > of the freezer as you need them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

> Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/

thank you, sirs/madams. I see them listed.

> > And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
> > debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
> > you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
> > don't you? :-)

I had tried Steakums, and they were not the same - (pressed and processed,
if i remember?)

> The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen cheesesteaks in a
> box, located right next to the steakums in the freezer section.
>
> Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell it's
> meat.
>
> Andy

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"hob" > wrote:

> Hi...
>
> Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
> paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
> area it was called chip steak.
>
> They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
> were served in a bun.
>
> Anyone know of a source for these patties?

Where do you live. In my area (Philadelphia), I would be hard pressed to
think of any grocery store that didn't carry them, but maybe that's
bacause they're very popular here due to Philly's famous Philadelphia
Cheese steak sandwich. Why don't you ask for them at your favorite
grocery store if you don't see them?
Stan Horwitz

In article >, Andy <Q>
wrote:

> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get 'em
> > frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some variation of the
> > name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging. The ones we get are
> > IQF with wax sheets in between, so you only need to take 'em out
> > of the freezer as you need them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

> Right you a http://www.phillycheesesteak.com/
>

> > And not to touch off a purist/bloated expert opinion/cook snob
> > debate here (between anybody reading, not just you two guys) but
> > you *do* realize you're essentially talking about "Steak-Ums",
> > don't you? :-)

> The steakum folks even went as far as to sell frozen cheesesteaks in a
> box, located right next to the steakums in the freezer section.
>
> Steakums are over-processed. With real chip steak you can tell it's
> meat.

Just ask at your favorite grocery store in the butcher section if you
want the real thing.
I-zheet M'drurz

Stan Horwitz spaketh thusly:
>> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in

>> > Or large food wholesalers that supply restaurants. We get
>> > 'em frozen in a 10 lb box, and I know they use some
>> > variation of the name Philly Cheesesteak on the packaging.
>> > The ones we get are IQF with wax sheets in between, so
>> > you only need to take 'em out of the freezer as you need
>> > them, don't let the "10 lbs" scare ya)

> Just ask at your favorite grocery store in the butcher section
> if you want the real thing.

Sometimes, "the real thing" isn't necessarily "the best thing".
I'm glad you have the time and wallet to stop at the butcher shop
or service meats section for a fresh piece of meat for a sandwich,
but that's not the case for everybody.

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote:

> Stan Horwitz spaketh thusly:
> >> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote in

> > Just ask at your favorite grocery store in the butcher section
> > if you want the real thing.

> Sometimes, "the real thing" isn't necessarily "the best thing".
> I'm glad you have the time and wallet to stop at the butcher shop
> or service meats section for a fresh piece of meat for a sandwich,
> but that's not the case for everybody.

It takes no more time than buying any other type of meat. What's the big
deal? Its not like you would have to wait for the store's butcher to go
out and slaughter a cow first.
I-zheet M'drurz

Stan Horwitz spaketh thusly:
> "I-zheet M'drurz" > wrote:

>> Sometimes, "the real thing" isn't necessarily "the best
>> thing". I'm glad you have the time and wallet to stop at
>> the butcher shop or service meats section for a fresh piece
>> of meat for a sandwich, but that's not the case for
>> everybody.

> It takes no more time than buying any other type of meat. What's
> the big deal? Its not like you would have to wait for the
> store's butcher to go out and slaughter a cow first.

You have to stop and buy yours 15 times, mine is bought once and
in the freezer. Here, let me translate: If we each want a steak
salad when we get home from work tonight, you need to stop at the
store, I need to open my freezer and 30 seconds later it's in the
pan frying. Oh yeah, you pick an $8 piece of delmonaco and get
the butcher to slice it for you, I paid about $3.30 a pound for
mine, last I checked (and that's not even total "wholesale".) You
stand there and kabitz with the widow Wilson while somebody
cuts your steak, and I'm at home prepping my salad. Is any of
this sinking in yet?

Getting REAL tired of this elitist, bullshit attitude on this
newsgroup, that everything must be "the real/best thing." You
blowhard snobs don't understand convenience and/or economy,
aka: "REAL Life".

If u are gonna say that I said something,
please say what I REALLY said. ($1 Earl)

sf

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:29:17 +0000 (UTC), I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

To begin with, what's a chip steak? What is it "really"? I googled
chip steak, but the closest I came was chip-club which is "really" Top
Loin Steak, Bone-in:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_st...rent_names.htm

So, until you can come up with a better descriptor - no one here can
help you.

Andy

sf > wrote in news:eg6ld1d6rj47qgmaqahppggi0ilgu5chdi@
4ax.com:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:29:17 +0000 (UTC), I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
>
> To begin with, what's a chip steak? What is it "really"? I googled
> chip steak, but the closest I came was chip-club which is "really" Top
> Loin Steak, Bone-in:
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_st...rent_names.htm
>
> So, until you can come up with a better descriptor - no one here can
> help you.

sf,

I'll step out on a limb!

Manual for Army Cooks
War Department Document No. 18.
1896

Book pdf: http://tinyurl.com/9npt6

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Kevin_Sheehy

sf wrote on July 16, 2005:

> To begin with, what's a chip steak? What is it "really"? I
>googled chip steak, but the closest I came was chip-club which >is "really" Top Loin Steak, Bone-in:
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_st...rent_names.htm
> So, until you can come up with a better descriptor - no one here can
> help you.

I've heard the term, but I have no idea what it is. But, this thread is
making me think that I do occasionally like chipped beef on toast, but
it seems a bit warm in my part of the Bay Area for that tonight.

How's that for a segue? Not so good?

sf

On 17 Jul 2005 12:11:59 -0700, Kevin_Sheehy wrote:

> sf wrote on July 16, 2005:
>

> > To begin with, what's a chip steak? What is it "really"? I
> >googled chip steak, but the closest I came was chip-club which >is "really" Top Loin Steak, Bone-in:
> > http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_st...rent_names.htm
> > So, until you can come up with a better descriptor - no one here can
> > help you.

> I've heard the term, but I have no idea what it is. But, this thread is
> making me think that I do occasionally like chipped beef on toast, but
> it seems a bit warm in my part of the Bay Area for that tonight.
>
> How's that for a segue? Not so good?

Chipped beef was the first thing that came to my mind also... but I'm
visualizing thinly sliced raw roast beef.

sf
still wondering what a chip steak really is

Hal Laurent wrote:
> They're sometimes called "minute steaks".
>
> Hal Laurent
> Baltimore

They wouldn't be the same thing around here - "minute steaks" (or "cube
steaks") are pieces of round steak (usually) that have been through a
mechanical tenderizer. That isn't anywhere close to super-thin sliced
beef, frozen.

N.

Kate Connally

Dimitri wrote:

> "hob" > wrote in message
> > Hi...
> >
> > Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
> > paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
> > area it was called chip steak.
> >
> > They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
> > were served in a bun.
> >
> > Anyone know of a source for these patties?

> I think now all gone - the brand was Camp's and the product was a "Minute Steak"
> in the frozen meat section.
>
> Dimitri

Don't they still sell "Steak'ums" which are the same
thing. It's been years since I bought anything like
that but I used to buy Steak'ums.

Kate
Dimitri

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "hob" > wrote in message
>> > Hi...
>> >
>> > Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
>> > paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
>> > area it was called chip steak.
>> >
>> > They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and
>> > they
>> > were served in a bun.
>> >
>> > Anyone know of a source for these patties?

>> I think now all gone - the brand was Camp's and the product was a "Minute
>> Steak"
>> in the frozen meat section.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Don't they still sell "Steak'ums" which are the same
> thing. It's been years since I bought anything like
> that but I used to buy Steak'ums.
>
> Kate

A slight difference from what I have seen the Steak-ums are chopped and formed
not pressed thin slices.

Dimitri

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob View Post
Hi...

Years back, you could get frozen "patties" made up of a dozen or so
paper-thin layers of sliced raw beef pressed into a round "pattie". In our
area it was called chip steak.

They were fried/grilled, without thawing before going into the pan, and they
were served in a bun.

Anyone know of a source for these patties?

--
------
50 years ago I was eating chip steak sandwiches. I live in On. Canada and wish I knew where they went.