Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Well, I screwed that up

Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
(sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
corn tortillas were too greasy.
I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 6:06:05 PM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:
> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
> Janet US

go to a really good Mexican place that features fish tacos.

sorry, that's all I got ! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 8:06:05 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> I floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?

Instead of using flour, try corn meal, or a mix of corn meal and a little
bit of masa harina.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:06:01 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
> Janet US

I think you've already figured it out. Don't flour your fish! Season
it and grill in a fairly dry pan (try coat the fish with oil not the
pan). I usually heat my tortillas in a dry (cast iron) pan first, so
it's well heated when I'm finished. The tortillas are kept warm in a
tortilla keeper while I quickly grill the fish. No idea how your
tortillas turned out greasy unless you used oil. Personal fish
choice: I prefer to use fresh (not previously frozen) cod.

Your sauce sounds fine to me. You can always switch the sour cream to
plain yogurt (I use whatever I have the most of). If you think it
didn't have enough punch, try using more seasoning next time and
instead of chipotle (not my favorite - too much smoke, not enough
chili flavor), try using a homemade or commercial chili mix + I always
like to squeeze additional lime juice directly onto the taco. Maybe
one of these recipes will give you an alternative idea or two
http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/02...-cabbage-slaw/
http://rainbowdelicious.com/top-10-fish-tacos/

Try making shrimp tacos before you give up.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 18:37:49 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:06:01 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>

>> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was

snip Any
>> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
>> Janet US

>I think you've already figured it out. Don't flour your fish! Season
>it and grill in a fairly dry pan (try coat the fish with oil not the
>pan). I usually heat my tortillas in a dry (cast iron) pan first, so
>it's well heated when I'm finished. The tortillas are kept warm in a
>tortilla keeper while I quickly grill the fish. No idea how your
>tortillas turned out greasy unless you used oil. Personal fish
>choice: I prefer to use fresh (not previously frozen) cod.
>
>Your sauce sounds fine to me. You can always switch the sour cream to
>plain yogurt (I use whatever I have the most of). If you think it
>didn't have enough punch, try using more seasoning next time and
>instead of chipotle (not my favorite - too much smoke, not enough
>chili flavor), try using a homemade or commercial chili mix + I always
>like to squeeze additional lime juice directly onto the taco. Maybe
>one of these recipes will give you an alternative idea or two
>http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/02...-cabbage-slaw/
>http://rainbowdelicious.com/top-10-fish-tacos/
>
>Try making shrimp tacos before you give up.

Thanks a lot. You've given me some good tips. I'll try again next
week. I think you're right about the chipotle, it was a little single
flavored. How do you season your fish?
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 8:58:25 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 18:37:49 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:06:01 -0600, Janet B >
> >wrote:
> >

> >> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was

> snip Any
> >> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
> >> Janet US

> >I think you've already figured it out. Don't flour your fish! Season
> >it and grill in a fairly dry pan (try coat the fish with oil not the
> >pan). I usually heat my tortillas in a dry (cast iron) pan first, so
> >it's well heated when I'm finished. The tortillas are kept warm in a
> >tortilla keeper while I quickly grill the fish. No idea how your
> >tortillas turned out greasy unless you used oil. Personal fish
> >choice: I prefer to use fresh (not previously frozen) cod.
> >
> >Your sauce sounds fine to me. You can always switch the sour cream to
> >plain yogurt (I use whatever I have the most of). If you think it
> >didn't have enough punch, try using more seasoning next time and
> >instead of chipotle (not my favorite - too much smoke, not enough
> >chili flavor), try using a homemade or commercial chili mix + I always
> >like to squeeze additional lime juice directly onto the taco. Maybe
> >one of these recipes will give you an alternative idea or two
> >http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/02...-cabbage-slaw/
> >http://rainbowdelicious.com/top-10-fish-tacos/
> >
> >Try making shrimp tacos before you give up.

> Thanks a lot. You've given me some good tips. I'll try again next
> week. I think you're right about the chipotle, it was a little single
> flavored. How do you season your fish?

S&P only.

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:58:08 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> Thanks a lot. You've given me some good tips. I'll try again next
> week. I think you're right about the chipotle, it was a little single
> flavored. How do you season your fish?

Very simply! It varies... every seasoning you mentioned is good (IMO)
except the chipotle. I'd say don't over do the seasonings - but
apparently you didn't use enough.

Do you want your main flavor on the fish or in the cabbage slaw?
Honestly, I keep my flavors light (pointed, but light) - lime gives it
the big punch.

I'm in a quandary about defining your issue - based on the fact that
one of my internet friends has made a cake recipe I posted at least 3
times and hers has never turned out the way it does when I make it. I
told her to use an instant read thermometer to see if it reads 200°
when she thinks it's done, but she forgot to use it the last time she
made it. I think her oven is off, but we won't know until she finally
decides to check her product when she thinks it's done. It won't be
the end of the world if it needs 10 more minutes in the oven.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:47:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:58:08 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot. You've given me some good tips. I'll try again next
>> week. I think you're right about the chipotle, it was a little single
>> flavored. How do you season your fish?

>Very simply! It varies... every seasoning you mentioned is good (IMO)
>except the chipotle. I'd say don't over do the seasonings - but
>apparently you didn't use enough.
>
>Do you want your main flavor on the fish or in the cabbage slaw?
>Honestly, I keep my flavors light (pointed, but light) - lime gives it
>the big punch.
>
>I'm in a quandary about defining your issue - based on the fact that
>one of my internet friends has made a cake recipe I posted at least 3
>times and hers has never turned out the way it does when I make it. I
>told her to use an instant read thermometer to see if it reads 200°
>when she thinks it's done, but she forgot to use it the last time she
>made it. I think her oven is off, but we won't know until she finally
>decides to check her product when she thinks it's done. It won't be
>the end of the world if it needs 10 more minutes in the oven.

I think I'll be o.k. I went lite on seasonings because I didn't want
to overpower the fish. I want a decent flavor on the fish. Maybe I
just need more salt. I want the slaw to be pretty much only mild slaw
for crunch and freshness. I want a tasty drizzle sauce that leads you
on into the taco. The sauce I envision is flavorful but only a little
heat. I've got to go back to my little Mexican place and have more
fish tacos. It's the sauce that I admire most there but I'm having a
hard time pinning down the flavors. I don't want to ask there because
this is truly a little bitty family operation and they should be able
to keep what is theirs. I just want to get close to their sauce.
The tip about keeping the tortillas in a warmer is helpful. I was
trying to juggle to much at one time.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:
>>sf wrote:

>> >I think you've already figured it out. Don't flour your fish! Season
>> >it and grill in a fairly dry pan (try coat the fish with oil not the
>> >pan). I usually heat my tortillas in a dry (cast iron) pan first, so
>> >it's well heated when I'm finished. The tortillas are kept warm in a
>> >tortilla keeper while I quickly grill the fish. No idea how your
>> >tortillas turned out greasy unless you used oil. Personal fish
>> >choice: I prefer to use fresh (not previously frozen) cod.
>> >
>> >Your sauce sounds fine to me. You can always switch the sour cream to
>> >plain yogurt (I use whatever I have the most of). If you think it
>> >didn't have enough punch, try using more seasoning next time and
>> >instead of chipotle (not my favorite - too much smoke, not enough
>> >chili flavor), try using a homemade or commercial chili mix + I always
>> >like to squeeze additional lime juice directly onto the taco. Maybe
>> >one of these recipes will give you an alternative idea or two
>> >http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/02...-cabbage-slaw/
>> >http://rainbowdelicious.com/top-10-fish-tacos/
>> >
>> >Try making shrimp tacos before you give up.

>> Thanks a lot. You've given me some good tips. I'll try again next
>> week. I think you're right about the chipotle, it was a little single
>> flavored. How do you season your fish?
>>

>S&P only.
>>
>> Janet US

http://www.food.com/recipe/horseradi...r-sauce-133451
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:29:30 AM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:47:47 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:58:08 -0600, Janet B >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks a lot. You've given me some good tips. I'll try again next
> >> week. I think you're right about the chipotle, it was a little single
> >> flavored. How do you season your fish?

> >Very simply! It varies... every seasoning you mentioned is good (IMO)
> >except the chipotle. I'd say don't over do the seasonings - but
> >apparently you didn't use enough.
> >
> >Do you want your main flavor on the fish or in the cabbage slaw?
> >Honestly, I keep my flavors light (pointed, but light) - lime gives it
> >the big punch.
> >
> >I'm in a quandary about defining your issue - based on the fact that
> >one of my internet friends has made a cake recipe I posted at least 3
> >times and hers has never turned out the way it does when I make it. I
> >told her to use an instant read thermometer to see if it reads 200°
> >when she thinks it's done, but she forgot to use it the last time she
> >made it. I think her oven is off, but we won't know until she finally
> >decides to check her product when she thinks it's done. It won't be
> >the end of the world if it needs 10 more minutes in the oven.

> I think I'll be o.k. I went lite on seasonings because I didn't want
> to overpower the fish. I want a decent flavor on the fish. Maybe I
> just need more salt. I want the slaw to be pretty much only mild slaw
> for crunch and freshness. I want a tasty drizzle sauce that leads you
> on into the taco. The sauce I envision is flavorful but only a little
> heat. I've got to go back to my little Mexican place and have more
> fish tacos. It's the sauce that I admire most there but I'm having a
> hard time pinning down the flavors. I don't want to ask there because
> this is truly a little bitty family operation and they should be able
> to keep what is theirs. I just want to get close to their sauce.
> The tip about keeping the tortillas in a warmer is helpful. I was
> trying to juggle to much at one time.

As much as I like chilies, it isn't the case that EVERYTHING Mexican,
or everything called taco, must have chilies.

Fish Tacos

S&P fish fillets and dredge in corn meal.
Fry them.
Put on warmed corn tortillas.
Add shredded lettuce or cabbage.
Squeeze on lime juice liberally.
Stuff like chopped tomato, diced onions, cilantro, sour cream and/or salsa
are optional. A few thin slices of avocado are a nice touch. This is a
taco, not brain surgery. Chipotle on fish? Ick.

> Janet US

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-10, Janet B > wrote:

> chipotle....

Sorry. I can't help you.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 9:06:05 PM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
> Janet US

Only beef tacos for moi.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 05:02:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

snip
>As much as I like chilies, it isn't the case that EVERYTHING Mexican,
>or everything called taco, must have chilies.
>
>Fish Tacos
>
>S&P fish fillets and dredge in corn meal.
>Fry them.
>Put on warmed corn tortillas.
>Add shredded lettuce or cabbage.
>Squeeze on lime juice liberally.
>Stuff like chopped tomato, diced onions, cilantro, sour cream and/or salsa
>are optional. A few thin slices of avocado are a nice touch. This is a
>taco, not brain surgery. Chipotle on fish? Ick.
>>
>> Janet US

>--Bryan

I did say I had never made them before. I agree not everything
Mexican needs chilies. I'm trying to replicate something.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 9:06:05 PM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
> Janet US

My suggestions:

1) Lightly marinate the fish in lime juice (and some orange juice if
you think you'd like that flavor) plus a little oil. Then grill it,
good and hot and fast.

2) Use regular cabbage. Personally, I think it tastes better in fish
tacos than bok choy (or Napa or ...). Include some shredded red
bell pepper in the slaw if you like that.

3) Nix the chipotle in the sauce but added finely chopped jalepenos,
deseeded and deveined to the extent you want to keep the heat down.

4) Add some mayo to the sauce.

5) Go nuts with the cilantro.

6) Tortillas: I paint them (with a paint brush!) very very lightly
with oil, very lightly salt them, then drop them on a hot griddle for
~20 seconds per side.

HTH. Good luck next time.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/09/2015 06:06 PM, Janet B wrote:

> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
> Janet US

I've tried both and can enthusiastically recommend either of the
following two recipes. They're both great!

<http://www.soupaddict.com/2009/06/wickedly-good-fish-taco-sauce>
<http://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fish-Tacos>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:17:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 9:06:05 PM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
>> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
>> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
>> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
>> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
>> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
>> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
>> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
>> corn tortillas were too greasy.
>> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
>> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
>> Janet US

>My suggestions:
>
>1) Lightly marinate the fish in lime juice (and some orange juice if
>you think you'd like that flavor) plus a little oil. Then grill it,
>good and hot and fast.
>
>2) Use regular cabbage. Personally, I think it tastes better in fish
>tacos than bok choy (or Napa or ...). Include some shredded red
>bell pepper in the slaw if you like that.
>
>3) Nix the chipotle in the sauce but added finely chopped jalepenos,
>deseeded and deveined to the extent you want to keep the heat down.
>
>4) Add some mayo to the sauce.
>
>5) Go nuts with the cilantro.
>
>6) Tortillas: I paint them (with a paint brush!) very very lightly
>with oil, very lightly salt them, then drop them on a hot griddle for
>~20 seconds per side.
>
>HTH. Good luck next time.

thanks for all your suggestions. I normally paint my tortillas. I
don't know why I didn't do so yesterday. Brain fade I guess. I'll
have to experiment with adding mayo. It's not a flavor or mouth feel
that I enjoy much. I had bok choy in the house. The regular cabbage
I had was only fit for soup. I could have used Hatch or jalepenos but
I was afraid I would get too much heat (what I have in my freezer is
very hot stuff!) I've been thinking I will try a quick marinade.
Thanks again.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:40:31 -0700, Whirled Peas >
wrote:

>On 03/09/2015 06:06 PM, Janet B wrote:

snip

Any
>> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
>> Janet US
>>

>I've tried both and can enthusiastically recommend either of the
>following two recipes. They're both great!
>
><http://www.soupaddict.com/2009/06/wickedly-good-fish-taco-sauce>
><http://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fish-Tacos>

Thanks for the links!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/10/2015 10:36 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:40:31 -0700, Whirled Peas >
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/09/2015 06:06 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>>

> snip
>
> Any
>>> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've tried both and can enthusiastically recommend either of the
>> following two recipes. They're both great!
>>
>> <http://www.soupaddict.com/2009/06/wickedly-good-fish-taco-sauce>
>> <http://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fish-Tacos>

> Thanks for the links!
> Janet US

You're very welcome!

I forgot to include my notes to the allrecipes recipe. Pay special
attention to the comments about aging the sauce
..
Substitutions:
As a shortcut, you can use frozen fish sticks and just fry them. Won't
be as good, though.

You can use almost any firm-fleshed fish such as cod, haddock, tilapia,
shrimp, shark, even chicken.

Use a bag of store-bought coleslaw mix instead of the shredded cabbage.

Use sour cream instead of yogurt.

Use 1/2 teaspoon dried (Mexican) oregano instead of the fresh cilantro.

Use Panko instead of beer batter and bake instead of deep fry.

Use pita bread and sprouts instead of corn tortillas and shredded cabbage.

Notes:
Wrap cooked fish and toppings in a small flour tortilla and call it a
fish burrito. Or, fry that (careful! it burns easily) and call it a fish
chimichanga.

Make the sauce at least four hours ahead of time (preferably at least
the day before) to allow the flavors to mingle.

The sauce thickens over time.

The white sauce is outstanding, but the beer batter needs more seasoning
of some kind. Try adding some chipotle puree to the batter.

Within limits, a thinner beer batter yields a crisper crust.

Experience:
I made this the first time and thought the sauce was good, but nothing
to rave about. So I put the leftover in a jar in the refrigerator and
forgot about it. A couple weeks later, I found the sauce and baked some
fish sticks (instead of deep fried cod), put them in pita bread (instead
of a soft corn tortilla) with sprouts (instead of shredded cabbage),
sliced tomato and the sauce. Man, was it good! The extra aging helped
enormously. I guess you should just make some for the refrigerator and
pull it out when you need it. Making it at the last minute isn't nearly
as good.

Other seafood taco concepts to consider:

€¢€‰€‰Battered mild fish with ginger/peanut/sesame sauce and Napa cabbage

€¢€‰€‰Crab cakes (taco shaped) and Tartar sauce with something

€¢€‰€‰Crab, shredded Cheddar and mayonnaise, served hot

€¢€‰€‰Crab, shredded Swiss and bacon with steamed summer squash and onion

€¢€‰€‰Crab and lemony white wine sauce with finely shredded jicama

€¢€‰€‰Oysters, breaded and fried, bacon and Swiss with Tartar sauce and
shredded lettuce

€¢€‰€‰Salmon croquettes (taco shaped), breaded and fried, with Tartar sauce

€¢€‰€‰Grilled salmon fingers with dill/caper sauce and arugula

€¢€‰€‰Seafood curry with chutney

€¢€‰€‰Shrimp and minced green onion with a cream, tequila and lime reduction

€¢€‰€‰Shrimp Remoulade with shredded lettuce and green onions

€¢€‰€‰Shrimp, tomato, basil and Feta with fresh spinach and Tzatziki

€¢€‰€‰Red salmon and rock scallop with chipotle and/or lime and/or ranch
sour cream, mesclun, and julienned daikon on corn tortillas

€¢€‰€‰Alaska halibut, dipped in egg white/lemon extract, then in flour and
NM chile molido, pan fried. Corn tortilla, cabbage/sour cream slaw, lime
juice dribbled on the fried fish

€¢€‰€‰Marinated halibut with cilantro pesto. Strips of (marinated) jicama
for crunch and crumbled cotijo. Use a freshly fried flour tortilla or
pan fry them with the fish inside
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:06:08 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> Yeah...use ground beef next time. Fish tacos sound so wrong to me.
>
> That said, I'll admit I've never tried them but it will be a long time
> before I try them again. ;0

If you ever decide to give fish tacos a try and are still not sure
about using a fish filet, try shrimp. It's mighty tasty.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-10 6:06 PM, Gary wrote:

>> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
>> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?

> Yeah...use ground beef next time. Fish tacos sound so wrong to me.
>
> That said, I'll admit I've never tried them but it will be a long time
> before I try them again. ;0

Living in southern Ontario, fish tacos are hard to come by. I tried them
for the first time about a year ago at a restaurant that had been
featured in You Gotta Eat Here, and they were amazing. The tacos came
with a very spicy avocado sauce and they were incredible. I have tried
them in a few other places and none of them were as good, but even the
worst of them were pretty good. The worst that could be said about them
is that they were messy to eat. Maybe you don't like fish as much as I
do, but IMO fish tacos are better than meat tacos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
> corn tortillas were too greasy.
> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?

Yeah...use ground beef next time. Fish tacos sound so wrong to me.

That said, I'll admit I've never tried them but it will be a long time
before I try them again. ;0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:06:08 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>That said, I'll admit I've never tried them but it will be a long time
>before I try them again. ;0

Hey, fish tacos are a thang, and they are a thang because when they
are done right they are mighty good, by themselves, with beer, and/or
tequila.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:06:08 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Janet B wrote:
>>
>> Fish Tacos, I mean, how hard can that be? The cabbage part was
>> fine. I used the more stemmy part of a bok choy, a little fine diced
>> onion and some minced tomato. The sauce didn't have enough punch.
>> (sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro, chipotle and a bit
>> of salt) It tasted fine by itself but disappeared on the taco. The
>> fish lacked punch. I seasoned the fish with salt and cumin. I
>> floured the fish pieces -- major mistake. They tasted floury. My
>> corn tortillas were too greasy.
>> I don't know if I should try again or just hang it up. Any
>> suggestions on how to fix my fish tacos?

>Yeah...use ground beef next time. Fish tacos sound so wrong to me.

Tacos sound so wrong to me, I don't consider tacos food... there's
nothing on the Taco Bell menu I would eat. Tacos are tex-mex dwarf
gourmet.