Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Screwed again on LP

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
exchanging it.
--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>
> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
> exchanging it.
> --

Wow, I'd never do the exchange thing and now I have another reason to avoid
the *******s. That also translates to more trips to the store and more cost
for driving.

FWIW, a fillup today was $13.99 at BJ's.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>>
>> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
>> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
>> exchanging it.
>> --

> Wow, I'd never do the exchange thing and now I have another reason to avoid
> the *******s. That also translates to more trips to the store and more cost
> for driving.
>
> FWIW, a fillup today was $13.99 at BJ's.

When I want to refill propane, I head way out into farm country. The
good ole boys out there don't care about OPD, and they sell propane
for just over $2/gallon. Here in town, it's closer to $4.

GWE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>>>
>>> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
>>> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
>>> exchanging it.
>>> --

>> Wow, I'd never do the exchange thing and now I have another reason to
>> avoid the *******s. That also translates to more trips to the store
>> and more cost for driving.
>>
>> FWIW, a fillup today was $13.99 at BJ's.

> When I want to refill propane, I head way out into farm country. The
> good ole boys out there don't care about OPD, and they sell propane
> for just over $2/gallon. Here in town, it's closer to $4.
>
> GWE

Blue Rhino?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cleatarrior" > wrote in message

> Blue Rhino?

What about them? They screw you.

Until last year, Blue Rhino and Amerigas, two major suppliers, put 17 to 18
pounds of propane in each 20-pound tank. Tanks should not be filled
completely for safety reasons.

About a year ago, that amount was cut to 15 pounds to save consumers a price
hike, Blue Rhino spokesman Chris Hartley said.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>

>> Blue Rhino?

> What about them? They screw you.
>
> Until last year, Blue Rhino and Amerigas, two major suppliers, put 17 to 18
> pounds of propane in each 20-pound tank. Tanks should not be filled
> completely for safety reasons.
>
> About a year ago, that amount was cut to 15 pounds to save consumers a price
> hike, Blue Rhino spokesman Chris Hartley said.

When I buy propane for my turkey fryer burner I go to the local propane
dealer where they have a service for filling 20 lb tanks, the same guys
that fill up the 500 gallon house tanks. I avoid box stores and such
plus there is a local hardware store that is reasonable, pays to always
shop around!

--
m.a.w.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Cleatarrior" > wrote in message
>

>> Blue Rhino?

> What about them? They screw you.
>
> Until last year, Blue Rhino and Amerigas, two major suppliers, put 17 to 18
> pounds of propane in each 20-pound tank. Tanks should not be filled
> completely for safety reasons.
>
> About a year ago, that amount was cut to 15 pounds to save consumers a price
> hike, Blue Rhino spokesman Chris Hartley said.

That's what about them - I always fill at my local propane dealer.
They're a ripoff and their tanks are in lousy condition.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-May-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
> >
> > 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
> > 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
> > exchanging it.
> > --

> Wow, I'd never do the exchange thing and now I have another reason to
> avoid
> the *******s. That also translates to more trips to the store and more
> cost
> for driving.
>
> FWIW, a fillup today was $13.99 at BJ's.

Good price on the fillup. We're still getting screwed here in Florida. I
haven't actually shopped around, but our local BJ's (Berkeley Jenson)
Wholesale club is still charging $18+ for a 20# fillup. (Ouch).You only
get about four gallons so that amounts to $4.50/gal. And we think
gasoline is high. Propane with no fed tax on it should be a lot cheaper.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

We had LP for heat at our cabin on Mt. Charleston. At first, there was
just an LP grill on the deck and when I'd have our LP tank filled, the
driver would also fill any of the 2-3 empty 20# tanks I kept beside the
big LP tank. Then I got smart and after I bought a new LP grill, I
piped the LP from the house over to it. I used black iron pipe, and
from then on the grill was as hassle free as my NG grill here in the valley.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties

Thomas Jefferson, 1802
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 22 May 2009 22:28:55 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>>
>> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
>> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
>> exchanging it.
>> --

>Wow, I'd never do the exchange thing and now I have another reason to avoid
>the *******s. That also translates to more trips to the store and more cost
>for driving.
>
>FWIW, a fillup today was $13.99 at BJ's.

The sign at the local Costco yesterday was $8.99 for a 20 lb. fill.
(That's in Southern Ontario, Canada).
I don't have to worry about fills for my grill since I plumbed it in
to the line from the 1500 liter tank that supplies the house.
I do have four 20 lb. tanks for my propane fueled standby generator.
They now seem to be just an insurance investment because we haven't
had a power outage of more than 5 minutes since I bought the generator
about three years ago.

Ross.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 22 May 2009 16:21:24 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>
> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
> exchanging it.

"The problem, consumers say, is that no one tells them they're
getting less propane. Companies have adopted similar practices in
the packaging of coffee, sugar and laundry detergent."

All of the above have the weight or volume printed on them. Propane
refills don't.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 May 2009 14:39:23 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
> wrote,
>On Fri, 22 May 2009 16:21:24 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>>
>> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
>> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
>> exchanging it.

>"The problem, consumers say, is that no one tells them they're
>getting less propane. Companies have adopted similar practices in
>the packaging of coffee, sugar and laundry detergent."
>
>All of the above have the weight or volume printed on them. Propane
>refills don't.

Refill is a service; you might get a printed receipt. When I have
gotten a propane refill it was from a pump with a meter, like a gasoline
pump, that registered how many gallons of propane were delivered, and I
paid based on that quantity.

Propane exchange tanks, of course, have a weight label on them.
I have two, a Blue Rhino purchased almost a year ago labeled
Net wt. 17 lb, and a more recent AmeriGas labeled 15 lb. You can
bet I'll be looking more closely in the future before buying.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Sqwertz > typed:
>> On Fri, 22 May 2009 16:21:24 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2
>>>
>>> 1) I'm happy to have NG at the grill and
>>> 2) You can avoid a screwing by having your tank refilled instead of
>>> exchanging it.

>> "The problem, consumers say, is that no one tells them they're
>> getting less propane. Companies have adopted similar practices in
>> the packaging of coffee, sugar and laundry detergent."
>>
>> All of the above have the weight or volume printed on them. Propane
>> refills don't.
>>
>> -sw

> Ahah! That explains why I can't go down to the Folgers plant for refills...
>
> MartyB in KC

My first office job was in the Bryant Building at 11th and Grand. By
the time I'd park and get to the office, that wonderful smell of Folgers
roasting would drive me half nuts. My first stop would be the coffee
pot in the office or a brief walk around the corner to Myron Green's.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to
control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks
will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up
homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.’

Thomas Jefferson, 1802
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 7:03*pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > ,
> > Sqwertz > typed:

> >> "The problem, consumers say, is that no one tells them they're
> >> getting less propane. Companies have adopted similar practices in
> >> the packaging of coffee, sugar and laundry detergent."

> >> All of the above have the weight or volume printed on them. *Propane
> >> refills don't.

> >> -sw

> > Ahah! That explains why I can't go down to the Folgers plant for refills...

> > MartyB in KC

> My first office job was in the Bryant Building at 11th and Grand. *By
> the time I'd park and get to the office, that wonderful smell of Folgers
> roasting would drive me half nuts. *My first stop would be the coffee
> pot in the office or a brief walk around the corner to Myron Green's.

Dang, where was that plant? SF used to be a coffee center
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fo...e_Building.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folgers

Have a friend who has a decent business trading in coffee beans who's
grandfather was with Hills Bros..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Cleatarrior > typed:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> What about them? They screw you.
>>>
>>> Until last year, Blue Rhino and Amerigas, two major suppliers, put
>>> 17 to 18 pounds of propane in each 20-pound tank. Tanks should not
>>> be filled completely for safety reasons.
>>>
>>> About a year ago, that amount was cut to 15 pounds to save consumers
>>> a price hike, Blue Rhino spokesman Chris Hartley said.
>>>

>> That's what about them - I always fill at my local propane dealer.

> Thank you for letting us serve your needs at Strickland Propane, the propane
> professionals.
> -Hank Hill

;-)

But I do my own exterminating...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:
> On Jun 1, 7:03 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> ,
>>> Sqwertz > typed:
>>> Ahah! That explains why I can't go down to the Folgers plant for refills...
>>> MartyB in KC

>> My first office job was in the Bryant Building at 11th and Grand. By
>> the time I'd park and get to the office, that wonderful smell of Folgers
>> roasting would drive me half nuts. My first stop would be the coffee
>> pot in the office or a brief walk around the corner to Myron Green's.

> Dang, where was that plant? SF used to be a coffee center
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fo...e_Building.jpg
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folgers
>
> Have a friend who has a decent business trading in coffee beans who's
> grandfather was with Hills Bros..

Heh- if SF was the only plant, then the good smell would have been all
over the western USA. The KC plant was near the river, on Broadway, as
I recall. http://www.folgers.com/pressroom/news_kansascity.aspx