Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default yellow cake mix

Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B > wrote:
> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
> Janet US

You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:58:48 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
> Janet US

I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I can't remember the exact steps or what it's called (fruit cocktail cake?). I'm a lot of help, aren't I?

Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.' Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Prepared Jell-O, flavor of your choice, is poured over the cake and refrigerated until the Jell-O is set. Frost with Dream Whip or if you're brave, Cool Whip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
> pudding or jello.
>
> jinx the minx

Hahahaaaaaaa, we were thinking the same thing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:07:22 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> wrote:

>Janet B > wrote:
>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>> Janet US

>You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
>Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

Yeah! You're thinking right!
thanks
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:11:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:58:48 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>> Janet US
>>

>I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I can't remember the exact steps or what it's called (fruit cocktail cake?). I'm a lot of help, aren't I?
>
>Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.' Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Prepared Jell-O, flavor of your choice, is poured over the cake and refrigerated until the Jell-O is set. Frost with Dream Whip or if you're brave, Cool Whip.

I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
cake. It sounds good too. It calls for a can of fruit. Do you think
I could make it with frozen mango? Or fresh apple? I am wondering if
the mango would be too juicy and the apple not enough.
I'm definitely going to try the dump cake.
surprisingly, when I found recipes for fruit cocktail cake, they were
made from scratch not a mix.
Thanks for the ideas.
Another Dump Cake

1 can fruit*
1 Jiffy Cake Mix -- (or 1/2 of a normal
-- cake mix)
1/4 cup butter

* (pie filling, canned fruit, or enough fresh fruit to cover the
bottom of the
pan nicely) Pour fruit into the bottom of and 8x8? pan. Sprinkle cake
mix on to
p of fruit (I usually use a small spoon to cover all the corners
well) and then
cut and place small pats of butter over the top of the cake mix.
Bake at 350 u
ntil golden brown. For a 13 x 9 pan I just double the recipe. Notes:
I have fou
nd if you leave a small amount of juice from the canned fruit in the
pan, it he
lps make a nicer crust and juicer fil
ling.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Janet B > wrote:
>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>> Janet US

> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
> pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
> Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed cake
mix
but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:58:48 PM UTC-8, Janet B wrote:
> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
> Janet US

I've made this on in the long past. It's good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobbler-dump-cake-i/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:58:48 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>> Janet US
>>

> I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I
> can't remember the exact steps or what it's called (fruit cocktail cake?).
> I'm a lot of help, aren't I?
>
> Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.'
> Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden
> spoon. Prepared Jell-O, flavor of your choice, is poured over the cake and
> refrigerated until the Jell-O is set. Frost with Dream Whip or if you're
> brave, Cool Whip.

Blimey!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:34:50 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

> I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
> cake. It sounds good too. It calls for a can of fruit. Do you think
> I could make it with frozen mango? Or fresh apple? I am wondering if
> the mango would be too juicy and the apple not enough.
> I'm definitely going to try the dump cake.
> surprisingly, when I found recipes for fruit cocktail cake, they were
> made from scratch not a mix.
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> Janet US

A co-worker from a hundred years ago would make the fruit cocktail cake and it was sooooooooooo good! I don't remember how she prepared it but it was so moist than I accidently dropped a piece and it splattered everywhere. Yep, that's moist alright!

A friend's mother would make the dump cakes and if I remember correctly she would use canned pie filling and some sort of pudding. The only part I liked was the pudding and the cake. I don't remember any fresh fruit except with the occasional addition of strawberries she's sliced and added sugar to them to make them syrupy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

>Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?

I always keep a couple three boxes of yellow cake mix in my pantry,
usually Dunkin Hines, for those cold winter days when I feel like a
cake but I'm too lazy to make one from scratch... your box cake sounds
like pineapple upside down cake to me... alls you need is canned
pineapple rings, dark brown sugar, maraschino cherries if you like,
and some real budder... add some Coco Lopez and rum to make it pina
colada style. Very easy peasy and mucho bueno:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2irz37.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:37:32 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:

> I've made this on in the long past. It's good.
>
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobbler-dump-cake-i/

Do you mix the cake with egg, etc., first as some said on this site or do you use the dry mix over the fruit??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use it for pineapple upside down cake, using pineapple juice from the can of
pineapple in place of half the liquid called for. It will be plenty for an 8 or 9 inch
cake, plus some cupcakes. Yum.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:58:40 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix

Nope. Not into radiation induced cancer.
Sorry...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 5:37:54 PM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:58:40 -0700, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix

> Nope. Not into radiation induced cancer.
> Sorry...

If you didn't have a recipe then you should have not posted. We get it, if some here don't have a recipe then they won't contribute to this thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:44:37 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 5:37:54 PM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:58:40 -0700, Janet B >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix

>> Nope. Not into radiation induced cancer.
>> Sorry...
>>

>If you didn't have a recipe then you should have not posted. We get it, if some here don't have a recipe then they won't contribute to this thread.

LOL, **** off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:12:28 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>> pudding or jello.
>>
>> jinx the minx
>>

>Hahahaaaaaaa, we were thinking the same thing!

If you didn't have a recipe then you should have not posted. We get
it, if some here don't have a recipe then they won't contribute to
this thread
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:11:32 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:37:32 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:
> >
> > I've made this on in the long past. It's good.
> >
> > http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobbler-dump-cake-i/
> >

> Do you mix the cake with egg, etc., first as some said on this site or do you use the dry mix over the fruit??

I always made it like the recipe calls for. You could use any fruit, even the fruit cocktail if you wanted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:58:48 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I
>> > can't remember the exact steps or what it's called (fruit cocktail
>>> cake?). > I'm a lot of help, aren't I?

>> Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.' >
>> Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden
>> > spoon. Prepared Jell-O, flavor of your choice, is poured over the cake
>>> and > refrigerated until the Jell-O is set. Frost with Dream Whip or
>>> if you're > brave, Cool Whip.

> Blimey!!

There you have it! I don't think I've eaten a poke cake in 35+ years, but
they were quite common during my mid 70's elementary school years.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I
>>>
>>> Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.' >
>>> Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden

>> Blimey!!
>>

> There you have it! I don't think I've eaten a poke cake in 35+ years, but
> they were quite common during my mid 70's elementary school years.

Well it sounds as though it is still popular I am still trying to get my
head round it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2015 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>
>> Janet B > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>>> Janet US

>> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>> pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
>> Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

> Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed
> cake mix
> but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with
> it.

Some time ago, somebody got the idea of adding a box of pudding to a box
of cake mix - it could have been during the 70s. Typically you added a
bunch of oil to the mixes too which gave you a richer, moister, cake.
The practice got to be so popular that some mixes will claim to have
pudding already in the mix.

"Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.

My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes
in a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake.
This is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me
but what a way to go!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 5:56:48 PM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:

> LOL, **** off.

Bite my ass, turd. If anyone wanted your stupid input into a box cake mix we would have pulled your chain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:18:55 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> There you have it! I don't think I've eaten a poke cake in 35+ years, but
> they were quite common during my mid 70's elementary school years.
> --
> jinx the minx

It's been about that long since I've eaten one, too. It was very, very good and not sure why this simple recipe fell out of favor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:36:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> "Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
> pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
> easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
> pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.

Yes, the cake is rather interesting looking when cut into.

> My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes
> in a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake.
> This is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me
> but what a way to go!
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html

I've not eaten one of those but would like to try it. It is my understanding the milk takes about 24 hours to completely soak into the cake. Looks like another cake that will splatter when dropped. :-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2015 2:48 PM, wrote:
> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:36:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> "Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
>> pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
>> easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
>> pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.
>>

> Yes, the cake is rather interesting looking when cut into.
>>
>> My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes
>> in a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake.
>> This is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me
>> but what a way to go!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html

> I've not eaten one of those but would like to try it. It is my understanding the milk takes about 24 hours to completely soak into the cake. Looks like another cake that will splatter when dropped. :-))

I think you're right about this. A tres leches cake is better when made
with a sponge rather than a box mix. The sponge cake has a firmer
structure which will hold up better to the milks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-16 21:58:40 +0000, Janet B said:

> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
> Janet US

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Dump-Ca...sition=10%2F71
Although this uses canned pie filling and a bunch of butter. It was
popular 40 years ago when I vas a young bride.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>Je?us wrote:
>>
>> LOL, **** off.
>>

>Bite my ass, turd.

Je#sus has nothing to **** off with... with his widdle 1/2" fuse all
he can do is sputter n' dribble.

>If anyone wanted your stupid input into a box cake mix we would have pulled your chain.

You'd have to pull Je#sus with tweezers and a jeweler's loupe. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 16:40:25 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 5:56:48 PM UTC-6, Je?us wrote:
>>
>> LOL, **** off.
>>

>Bite my ass, turd. If anyone wanted your stupid input into a box cake mix we would have pulled your chain.

You're such a hypocrite.
As for your ass... I wouldn't be able to open my jaws wide enough, so
no can do. Sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:43:34 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>>Je?us wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL, **** off.
>>>

>>Bite my ass, turd.

>Je#sus has nothing to **** off with... with his widdle 1/2" fuse all
>he can do is sputter n' dribble.
>
>>If anyone wanted your stupid input into a box cake mix we would have pulled your chain.

>You'd have to pull Je#sus with tweezers and a jeweler's loupe. LOL-LOL

Going through a second childhood, by the looks of things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
> Janet US

Use it for a dump cake. My grandma called hers Cherry Jazz because she used
cherry pie filling but you can use any kind of fruit. If just plain canned
fruit, I would drain the liquid off. Put the fruit in your pan, sprinkle
the cake mix over the top and then add two sticks of melted butter or
margarine. I am assuming this is is for a two layer cake. I would use less
for a single layer. I always used one stick for a single layer but... My
grandma's recipe said to use one or two sticks for the single layer box.
Two would be overkill for me I think. Just dump it on and bake. I can't
remember the bake time. Pretty sure it was 350 degrees and probably
somewhere around 20-30 minutes. Just bake until it browns on the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>> Janet B > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>>> Janet US

>> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>> pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
>> Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

> Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed
> cake mix
> but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with
> it.

I don't think I've seen it made with pudding but with gelatin. And you
could use a scratch cake although I can't imagine making it with any cake.
You simply bake your cake as one big layer, then use something like the
handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the baked and cooled cake and pour
the Jell-O into the holes. With the gelatine, you get all the drama of the
two different colors.

Actually this recipe says to use a fork and cover it with Coolwhip which is
(IMO) a disgusting, faux whipped cream made with things that you don't want
to put in your body.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ake-53184.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:11:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:58:48 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I
>>can't remember the exact steps or what it's called (fruit cocktail cake?).
>>I'm a lot of help, aren't I?
>>
>>Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.'
>>Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden
>>spoon. Prepared Jell-O, flavor of your choice, is poured over the cake and
>>refrigerated until the Jell-O is set. Frost with Dream Whip or if you're
>>brave, Cool Whip.

> I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
> cake. It sounds good too. It calls for a can of fruit. Do you think
> I could make it with frozen mango? Or fresh apple? I am wondering if
> the mango would be too juicy and the apple not enough.
> I'm definitely going to try the dump cake.
> surprisingly, when I found recipes for fruit cocktail cake, they were
> made from scratch not a mix.
> Thanks for the ideas.
> Another Dump Cake
>
> 1 can fruit*
> 1 Jiffy Cake Mix -- (or 1/2 of a normal
> -- cake mix)
> 1/4 cup butter
>
> * (pie filling, canned fruit, or enough fresh fruit to cover the
> bottom of the
> pan nicely) Pour fruit into the bottom of and 8x8? pan. Sprinkle cake
> mix on to
> p of fruit (I usually use a small spoon to cover all the corners
> well) and then
> cut and place small pats of butter over the top of the cake mix.
> Bake at 350 u
> ntil golden brown. For a 13 x 9 pan I just double the recipe. Notes:
> I have fou
> nd if you leave a small amount of juice from the canned fruit in the
> pan, it he
> lps make a nicer crust and juicer fil
> ling.
> Janet US

I don't know about mango but I hate mango! You could use the apples but I
would cook them first with some cinnamon and brown sugar. And hmmm... I
may have given you the wrong proportions on the butter. Perhaps I used half
a stick for the single layer cake and the whole one for a double layer. I
haven't made it for many years. I did like it but nobody else in the house
did. It's really pretty sweet and rich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:34:50 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

> I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
> cake. It sounds good too. It calls for a can of fruit. Do you think
> I could make it with frozen mango? Or fresh apple? I am wondering if
> the mango would be too juicy and the apple not enough.
> I'm definitely going to try the dump cake.
> surprisingly, when I found recipes for fruit cocktail cake, they were
> made from scratch not a mix.
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> Janet US

A co-worker from a hundred years ago would make the fruit cocktail cake and
it was sooooooooooo good! I don't remember how she prepared it but it was
so moist than I accidently dropped a piece and it splattered everywhere.
Yep, that's moist alright!

A friend's mother would make the dump cakes and if I remember correctly she
would use canned pie filling and some sort of pudding. The only part I
liked was the pudding and the cake. I don't remember any fresh fruit except
with the occasional addition of strawberries she's sliced and added sugar to
them to make them syrupy.

---

I had a coworker who made a fruit cocktail cake. It was a dump cake but
hers had nuts and coconut in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:37:32 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> I've made this on in the long past. It's good.
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobbler-dump-cake-i/
>>

> Do you mix the cake with egg, etc., first as some said on this site or do
> you use the dry mix over the fruit??

No egg. Just the dry mix and butter or margarine. The end result isn't
actually a cake. It has more of a crumbly topping over the fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:34:43 -0700, Janet B wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
>> cake.

> Shoot. I was too late! As soon as you said can of fruit I remembered
> the infamous TV Infomercial for the dump cake cookbook.
>
> -sw

I saw that dump cake cookbook at Target tonight. In case anyone is
interested.
--
jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
> Janet US

My sister in law makes an orange cake that she says people can't tell
the difference between boxed and scratch, so she uses boxed most of
the time. I tried to find a link to something similar to what I
remember what she said she did, but couldn't. She roasts whole
oranges and grinds them in the food processor to add. Here's a web
site with some suggestions. I'm gravitating toward the coconut milk
idea.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/43...-taste-better/

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Blimey!!
>>>

>> There you have it! I don't think I've eaten a poke cake in 35+ years,
>> but
>> they were quite common during my mid 70's elementary school years.

> Well it sounds as though it is still popular I am still trying to get
> my head round it

I don't think it's popular in most places. I only ever saw one once. It
was at a potluck. My friend ate a piece and said that it was good but she
was a real sweets lover. She said that her kids liked to make them because
they liked poking the holes in the cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2015 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>>> pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
>>> Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

>> Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed
>> cake mix
>> but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with
>> it.
>>

> Some time ago, somebody got the idea of adding a box of pudding to a box
> of cake mix - it could have been during the 70s. Typically you added a
> bunch of oil to the mixes too which gave you a richer, moister, cake. The
> practice got to be so popular that some mixes will claim to have pudding
> already in the mix.
>
> "Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
> pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
> easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
> pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.
>
> My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes in
> a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake. This
> is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me but what
> a way to go!
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html

Thanks Mr D I am surprised that mixing cake mix and pudding together
would allow a cake to bake propely.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2015 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>>> pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
>>> Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

>> Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed
>> cake mix
>> but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with
>> it.
>>

> Some time ago, somebody got the idea of adding a box of pudding to a box
> of cake mix - it could have been during the 70s. Typically you added a
> bunch of oil to the mixes too which gave you a richer, moister, cake. The
> practice got to be so popular that some mixes will claim to have pudding
> already in the mix.

I do remember those pudding in the mix cakes. What I don't remember is
anyone poking holes in the cake and pouring pudding in. That almost sounds
like a *******ized Tres Leches cake.

> "Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
> pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
> easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
> pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.
>
> My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes in
> a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake. This
> is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me but what
> a way to go!
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html

I have never tried one. They actually served that at a Mexican place that
we used to eat at. We were very ambivalent about that place. We'd love the
food and eat there a lot, then one day the food would come with seemingly no
seasoning to it. The rice would be barely pink so they clearly added
something to it but certainly not enough of anything. So we'd quit going.

Then we'd think about it and decide to try it again the food would be good
for a while. Repeat.

Then just when I thought about going again, it was no longer there. I did
ask around because most of the Mexican restaurant owners around here know
the owners of the other places. But nobody knew what happened to this
place. We also used to run into the owner at Costco now and then but
haven't seen him since.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2015 2:48 PM, wrote:
>> On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:36:43 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> "Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
>>> pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
>>> easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
>>> pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.
>>>

>> Yes, the cake is rather interesting looking when cut into.
>>>
>>> My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes
>>> in a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake.
>>> This is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me
>>> but what a way to go!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html

>> I've not eaten one of those but would like to try it. It is my
>> understanding the milk takes about 24 hours to completely soak into the
>> cake. Looks like another cake that will splatter when dropped. :-))
>>

> I think you're right about this. A tres leches cake is better when made
> with a sponge rather than a box mix. The sponge cake has a firmer
> structure which will hold up better to the milks.

Did you see the episode of America's Test Kitchen where they made it? Gee,
all the hoops they had to go through. And it's the sort of thing I would
have made when I was younger had I heard of it then. I used to love making
complicated things. Not sure anyone in my family would have liked it
though. We're not big dairy lovers.