Old 16-02-2015, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default yellow cake mix

Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US

Old 16-02-2015, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:
Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US

You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.
--
jinx the minx
Old 16-02-2015, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 3:58:48 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US

I've had the one with the canned fruit cocktail and for the life of me I can't remember the exact steps or what it's called (fruit cocktail cake?). I'm a lot of help, aren't I?

Then there's the old recipe from the 60's-70's called a 'poke cake.' Holes are poked into a 9 x 13 prepared cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Prepared Jell-O, flavor of your choice, is poured over the cake and refrigerated until the Jell-O is set. Frost with Dream Whip or if you're brave, Cool Whip.

Old 16-02-2015, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:08:04 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:

You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
pudding or jello.

jinx the minx

Hahahaaaaaaa, we were thinking the same thing!

Old 16-02-2015, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:07:22 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
wrote:

Janet B wrote:
Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US

You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

Yeah! You're thinking right!
thanks
Janet US

Old 16-02-2015, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:11:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
cake. It sounds good too. It calls for a can of fruit. Do you think
I could make it with frozen mango? Or fresh apple? I am wondering if
the mango would be too juicy and the apple not enough.
I'm definitely going to try the dump cake.
surprisingly, when I found recipes for fruit cocktail cake, they were
made from scratch not a mix.
Thanks for the ideas.
Another Dump Cake

1 can fruit*
1 Jiffy Cake Mix -- (or 1/2 of a normal
-- cake mix)
1/4 cup butter

* (pie filling, canned fruit, or enough fresh fruit to cover the
bottom of the
pan nicely) Pour fruit into the bottom of and 8x8? pan. Sprinkle cake
mix on to
p of fruit (I usually use a small spoon to cover all the corners
well) and then
cut and place small pats of butter over the top of the cake mix.
Bake at 350 u
ntil golden brown. For a 13 x 9 pan I just double the recipe. Notes:
I have fou
nd if you leave a small amount of juice from the canned fruit in the
pan, it he
lps make a nicer crust and juicer fil
ling.
Janet US
Old 16-02-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" wrote in message
Janet B wrote:
Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US

You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed cake
mix
but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-02-2015, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:58:48 PM UTC-8, Janet B wrote:
Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
Janet US

I've made this on in the long past. It's good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobbler-dump-cake-i/
Old 16-02-2015, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

Blimey!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 16-02-2015, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:34:50 PM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:

I like the idea of the poke cake. I also found a recipe for a dump
cake. It sounds good too. It calls for a can of fruit. Do you think
I could make it with frozen mango? Or fresh apple? I am wondering if
the mango would be too juicy and the apple not enough.
I'm definitely going to try the dump cake.
surprisingly, when I found recipes for fruit cocktail cake, they were
made from scratch not a mix.
Thanks for the ideas.

Janet US

A co-worker from a hundred years ago would make the fruit cocktail cake and it was sooooooooooo good! I don't remember how she prepared it but it was so moist than I accidently dropped a piece and it splattered everywhere. Yep, that's moist alright!

A friend's mother would make the dump cakes and if I remember correctly she would use canned pie filling and some sort of pudding. The only part I liked was the pudding and the cake. I don't remember any fresh fruit except with the occasional addition of strawberries she's sliced and added sugar to them to make them syrupy.

Old 16-02-2015, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:

Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?

I always keep a couple three boxes of yellow cake mix in my pantry,
usually Dunkin Hines, for those cold winter days when I feel like a
cake but I'm too lazy to make one from scratch... your box cake sounds
like pineapple upside down cake to me... alls you need is canned
pineapple rings, dark brown sugar, maraschino cherries if you like,
and some real budder... add some Coco Lopez and rum to make it pina
colada style. Very easy peasy and mucho bueno:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2irz37.jpg
Old 16-02-2015, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 4:37:32 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:

I've made this on in the long past. It's good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peach-cobbler-dump-cake-i/

Do you mix the cake with egg, etc., first as some said on this site or do you use the dry mix over the fruit??

Old 16-02-2015, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I use it for pineapple upside down cake, using pineapple juice from the can of
pineapple in place of half the liquid called for. It will be plenty for an 8 or 9 inch
cake, plus some cupcakes. Yum.

N.
Old 16-02-2015, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:58:40 -0700, Janet B
wrote:

Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix

Nope. Not into radiation induced cancer.
Sorry...

Old 16-02-2015, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix

Nope. Not into radiation induced cancer.
Sorry...

If you didn't have a recipe then you should have not posted. We get it, if some here don't have a recipe then they won't contribute to this thread.