Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default yellow cake mix

On 2/16/2015 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message
>
>> Janet B > wrote:
>>> Does anyone have a dessert recipe that uses a boxed yellow cake mix
>>> and no nuts or chocolate? I got the cake last fall to do some recipe
>>> and then my husband got his kidney stone. After that no nuts and no
>>> chocolate. It can be as hokey as you please. We're both from the
>>> mid-west and have probably seen it all before. Wasn't there a cake
>>> mix recipe at one time that used canned fruit?
>>> Janet US

>> You could always make a Midwestern friendly poke cake with any flavor
>> pudding or jello. As a kid I liked them with banana or vanilla pudding.
>> Just make sure to use a boiled pudding and not instant.

> Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed
> cake mix
> but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with
> it.

Some time ago, somebody got the idea of adding a box of pudding to a box
of cake mix - it could have been during the 70s. Typically you added a
bunch of oil to the mixes too which gave you a richer, moister, cake.
The practice got to be so popular that some mixes will claim to have
pudding already in the mix.

"Poke" cake refers to the practice of poking holes in the warm cake and
pouring Jello on the top. The holes make the cake accept the liquid more
easily and gives it some interesting striations. I have not heard of
pouring pudding onto a poke cake but it appears that some people do.

My feeling on the subject is that well heck, if you're gonna poke holes
in a cake and pour stuff on it, you might as well make tres leches cake.
This is pretty much instant death to lactose intolerant folks like me
but what a way to go!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ke-recipe.html