Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat loaf

On 1/9/2015 6:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 10:25:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> The meatloaf was pretty tasty although the veggies were still kind of raw. Next time I'll boil the stuff first or just use something like mushrooms or even canned corn. Also, I'll have to make a bigger loaf, the wife and son really dug it. Heck, it even had me hankering for more. :-)

> Two ideas
>
> 1. Take your thin rectangle topped with whatever and roll it into a
> log.

That's what I did. I laid the hamburger out on foil which made it easy
to roll up. Next I'm going to make really skinny rolls and use some
boiled veggies. If I have some left over, I'll add some shoyu pork.
Essentially, I'll be making maki sushi out of hamburger!

> 2. I've made meatloaf that was hamburger meat mixed with an equal
> amount of mushrooms that I'd "ground" up in the FP. It was tasty.

I have done this before. I don't have a food processor so I just slice
the mushrooms. I'm not a food processor kind of guy. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 7:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> My wife called me this morning trying to get more meatloaf but alas,
> there was none. Guess I'm gonna have to make more. You know what
> would be great stuffed into a meatloaf? Shoyu pork! :-)

You just gave me an idea. Over a week ago I roasted a pork loin roast
and it was so tender and delicious but I couldn't use it all before
having to freeze what was left. I think I'm going to make a meatloaf and
wrap the beef around a couple of slices of the pork.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 11:19:01 AM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
> On 1/8/2015 7:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > My wife called me this morning trying to get more meatloaf but alas,
> > there was none. Guess I'm gonna have to make more. You know what
> > would be great stuffed into a meatloaf? Shoyu pork! :-)
> >

> You just gave me an idea. Over a week ago I roasted a pork loin roast
> and it was so tender and delicious but I couldn't use it all before
> having to freeze what was left. I think I'm going to make a meatloaf and
> wrap the beef around a couple of slices of the pork.

That sounds good to me. What I'd do is coat the pork with Korean red pepper flakes. It's not that hot but it's brilliant red stuff. I've coated an entire meatloaf with that stuff. It looked goofy as hell but ya gotta try new ideas! Actually, I could just lay cheese on the hamburger, sprinkle some Korean pepper on that, and roll it up. I'm guessing that would look "festive." :-)

> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Do explain Shoyu pork and how you would incorporate it into meat loaf
> >> please? )

> > Shoyu pork is a famous Okinawain dish. Typically, it's made with pork
> > belly. The pork belly is boiled in a shoyu sugar sauce. That stuff would
> > taste just great rolled up in some hamburger.
> >
> > http://allrecipes.com/recipe/okinawa-shoyu-pork

> Thanks that sounds good I don't think I will find mirin (Japanese sweet
> wine) though. Is there an equivalent wine I could use?

You can use some sake and corn syrup(!). I used some sherry and a little corn syrup for the batch of I just made. You don't really need it, mostly mirin is used to give dishes a slight glistening appearance. There's all kind of ways to do this dish, here's the old school way that my auntie taught me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7Ohmr5BD0

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>> > Shoyu pork is a famous Okinawain dish. Typically, it's made with pork
>> > belly. The pork belly is boiled in a shoyu sugar sauce. That stuff
>> > would
>> > taste just great rolled up in some hamburger.
>> >
>> > http://allrecipes.com/recipe/okinawa-shoyu-pork

>> Thanks that sounds good I don't think I will find mirin (Japanese
>> sweet
>> wine) though. Is there an equivalent wine I could use?
>>

> You can use some sake and corn syrup(!). I used some sherry and a little
> corn syrup for the batch of I just made. You don't really need it, mostly
> mirin is used to give dishes a slight glistening appearance. There's all
> kind of ways to do this dish, here's the old school way that my auntie
> taught me.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7Ohmr5BD0

Thanks very much for that! I will look at trying that out when I can find
the ingredients))

<saved>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi2" > wrote in message
> On 1/9/2015 6:26 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 10:25:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The meatloaf was pretty tasty although the veggies were still kind of
>>> raw. Next time I'll boil the stuff first or just use something like
>>> mushrooms or even canned corn. Also, I'll have to make a bigger loaf,
>>> the wife and son really dug it. Heck, it even had me hankering for more.
>>> :-)

>> Two ideas
>>
>> 1. Take your thin rectangle topped with whatever and roll it into a
>> log.

> That's what I did. I laid the hamburger out on foil which made it easy to
> roll up. Next I'm going to make really skinny rolls and use some boiled
> veggies. If I have some left over, I'll add some shoyu pork. Essentially,
> I'll be making maki sushi out of hamburger!
>
>> 2. I've made meatloaf that was hamburger meat mixed with an equal
>> amount of mushrooms that I'd "ground" up in the FP. It was tasty.
>>

> I have done this before. I don't have a food processor so I just slice the
> mushrooms. I'm not a food processor kind of guy. :-)

Why am I seeing meat loaf Wellington? )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I forgot to mention that sometimes I add diced onion and/or
> diced green pepper to the scalloped corn....it could also
> include crispy bacon bits.

Hi Nancy2. Thank you for the scalloped corn recipe and the followup to
add onion and crumbled bacon.

I will try this sometime and have saved what you wrote in my recipe
folder. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:04:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi2" > wrote in message
> > On 1/9/2015 6:26 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Two ideas
> >>
> >> 1. Take your thin rectangle topped with whatever and roll it into a
> >> log.

> > That's what I did. I laid the hamburger out on foil which made it easy to
> > roll up. Next I'm going to make really skinny rolls and use some boiled
> > veggies. If I have some left over, I'll add some shoyu pork. Essentially,
> > I'll be making maki sushi out of hamburger!
> >
> >> 2. I've made meatloaf that was hamburger meat mixed with an equal
> >> amount of mushrooms that I'd "ground" up in the FP. It was tasty.
> >>

> > I have done this before. I don't have a food processor so I just slice the
> > mushrooms. I'm not a food processor kind of guy. :-)

> Why am I seeing meat loaf Wellington? )

That sounds pretty good. I'm gonna have to try that one day, thanks!

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:04:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > That's what I did. I laid the hamburger out on foil which made it easy
>> > roll up. Next I'm going to make really skinny rolls and use some boiled
>> > veggies. If I have some left over, I'll add some shoyu pork.
>> > Essentially,
>> > I'll be making maki sushi out of hamburger!

>> > I have done this before. I don't have a food processor so I just slice
>> > the
>> > mushrooms. I'm not a food processor kind of guy. :-)

>> Why am I seeing meat loaf Wellington? )

> That sounds pretty good. I'm gonna have to try that one day, thanks!

LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
>"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Why am I seeing meat loaf Wellington? )

>> That sounds pretty good. I'm gonna have to try that one day, thanks!

>LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)

One of my usual meat loaves ready for the oven, more than 5 pounds of
home ground meat, that's plain canned tomato sauce:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2churs2.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> That sounds pretty good. I'm gonna have to try that one day, thanks!

>>LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)

> One of my usual meat loaves ready for the oven, more than 5 pounds of
> home ground meat, that's plain canned tomato sauce:
> http://i59.tinypic.com/2churs2.jpg

Yes, it looks very good. You always talk about cooking huge amounts which
would be absolutely useless and wasteful in my life. If the family were
here yes, but we are mostly just the two of us. I cook the amount that
suits us.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:45:55 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)

>> One of my usual meat loaves ready for the oven, more than 5 pounds of
>> home ground meat, that's plain canned tomato sauce:
>> http://i59.tinypic.com/2churs2.jpg

>Yes, it looks very good. You always talk about cooking huge amounts which
>would be absolutely useless and wasteful in my life. If the family were
>here yes, but we are mostly just the two of us. I cook the amount that
>suits us.

Then you're not much of a cook... meat loaf freezes beautifully. A
*real* cook wouldn't go through all the trouble of preparing a dish
that's just enough for one meal when it's no extra effort to prepare
enough to have meals for later. So far I've never seen anything
you've cooked, I doubt you actually cook anything... I believe you're
a fast food take-out type... you claim to cook but that's just typed
words... I don't believe you... I've never even seen a recipe from
you. I tried to be your friend but if you are going to bash my posts
then be prepared to pay the price... I believe you are a total FAKE.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:45:55 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> One of my usual meat loaves ready for the oven, more than 5 pounds of
>>> home ground meat, that's plain canned tomato sauce:
>>> http://i59.tinypic.com/2churs2.jpg

>>Yes, it looks very good. You always talk about cooking huge amounts which
>>would be absolutely useless and wasteful in my life. If the family were
>>here yes, but we are mostly just the two of us. I cook the amount that
>>suits us.

> Then you're not much of a cook... meat loaf freezes beautifully.

I know. I make 4 times the amount that we need and freeze 3. I am not
feeding a battalion.

> *real* cook wouldn't go through all the trouble of preparing a dish
> that's just enough for one meal when it's no extra effort to prepare
> enough to have meals for later. So far I've never seen anything
> you've cooked, I doubt you actually cook anything... I believe you're
> a fast food take-out type... you claim to cook but that's just typed
> words... I don't believe you... I've never even seen a recipe from
> you. I tried to be your friend but if you are going to bash my posts

Show me where I have bashed your posts? I merely observed that I don't need
to make such huge amounts.

> then be prepared to pay the price... I believe you are a total FAKE.

Thank you Sheldon. I think your memory is fading. I have posted many
recipes and pictures of food I have prepared, but of course if you need to
make yourself feel better, then do continue to abuse me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>> *real* cook wouldn't go through all the trouble of preparing a dish
>> that's just enough for one meal when it's no extra effort to prepare
>> enough to have meals for later. So far I've never seen anything
>> you've cooked, I doubt you actually cook anything... I believe you're
>> a fast food take-out type... you claim to cook but that's just typed
>> words... I don't believe you... I've never even seen a recipe from
>> you. I tried to be your friend but if you are going to bash my posts

> Show me where I have bashed your posts? I merely observed that I don't
> need to make such huge amounts.
>

>> then be prepared to pay the price... I believe you are a total FAKE.

> Thank you Sheldon. I think your memory is fading. I have posted many
> recipes and pictures of food I have prepared, but of course if you need to
> make yourself feel better, then do continue to abuse me.

Julie has been missing for a couple of days, so be prepared for some to
start turning on others to heap their abuse on. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>>> *real* cook wouldn't go through all the trouble of preparing a dish
>>> that's just enough for one meal when it's no extra effort to prepare
>>> enough to have meals for later. So far I've never seen anything
>>> you've cooked, I doubt you actually cook anything... I believe you're
>>> a fast food take-out type... you claim to cook but that's just typed
>>> words... I don't believe you... I've never even seen a recipe from
>>> you. I tried to be your friend but if you are going to bash my posts

>> Show me where I have bashed your posts? I merely observed that I don't
>> need to make such huge amounts.
>>

>>> then be prepared to pay the price... I believe you are a total FAKE.

>> Thank you Sheldon. I think your memory is fading. I have posted many
>> recipes and pictures of food I have prepared, but of course if you need
>> to make yourself feel better, then do continue to abuse me.

> Julie has been missing for a couple of days, so be prepared for some to
> start turning on others to heap their abuse on. LOL

Well in this case, I really didn't deserve it so let him go for it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 4:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> One of my usual meat loaves ready for the oven, more than 5 pounds of
>> home ground meat, that's plain canned tomato sauce:
>> http://i59.tinypic.com/2churs2.jpg

> Yes, it looks very good. You always talk about cooking huge amounts
> which would be absolutely useless and wasteful in my life. If the
> family were here yes, but we are mostly just the two of us. I cook the
> amount that suits us.

Most people do. A 5 lb. meatloaf would be overkill even allowing for
shrinkage and leftovers for the freezer. Then again, this is the man
who says no one should ever make less than 16 quarts of soup at a time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 7:31 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>>> *real* cook wouldn't go through all the trouble of preparing a dish
>>> that's just enough for one meal when it's no extra effort to prepare
>>> enough to have meals for later. So far I've never seen anything
>>> you've cooked, I doubt you actually cook anything... I believe you're
>>> a fast food take-out type... you claim to cook but that's just typed
>>> words... I don't believe you... I've never even seen a recipe from
>>> you. I tried to be your friend but if you are going to bash my posts

>> Show me where I have bashed your posts? I merely observed that I
>> don't need to make such huge amounts.
>>

>>> then be prepared to pay the price... I believe you are a total FAKE.

>> Thank you Sheldon. I think your memory is fading. I have posted
>> many recipes and pictures of food I have prepared, but of course if
>> you need to make yourself feel better, then do continue to abuse me.

> Julie has been missing for a couple of days, so be prepared for some to
> start turning on others to heap their abuse on. LOL
>
> Cheri

I beg to differ. There's no comparison between the two. One is a
spinner of tall tales. Sheldon's problem is he's stuck (in his mind)
cooking as if he was still in the Navy... however many decades ago that
was. He always talks about having lots of company for dinner but we
sure don't see pics of all those friends and family chowing down, do we?

5 lbs. of raw meat loaf. To me it doesn't make sense to cook in huge
amounts, freezer or not. His take on things is because we don't cook in
huge quantities (such as 16 quarts of soup) we don't actually cook.
We're all LIARS. Heh.

You think people only pick on Julie? Wrong.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:42:23 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> A 5 lb. meatloaf would be overkill even allowing for
> shrinkage and leftovers for the freezer. Then again, this is the man
> who says no one should ever make less than 16 quarts of soup at a time.

How does one person eat all that food? Maybe he's a prepper.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/11/2015 7:31 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Show me where I have bashed your posts? I merely observed that I
>>> don't need to make such huge amounts.

>>> Thank you Sheldon. I think your memory is fading. I have posted
>>> many recipes and pictures of food I have prepared, but of course if
>>> you need to make yourself feel better, then do continue to abuse me.

>> Julie has been missing for a couple of days, so be prepared for some to
>> start turning on others to heap their abuse on. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> I beg to differ. There's no comparison between the two. One is a spinner
> of tall tales. Sheldon's problem is he's stuck (in his mind) cooking as
> if he was still in the Navy... however many decades ago that was. He
> always talks about having lots of company for dinner but we sure don't see
> pics of all those friends and family chowing down, do we?
>
> 5 lbs. of raw meat loaf. To me it doesn't make sense to cook in huge
> amounts, freezer or not. His take on things is because we don't cook in
> huge quantities (such as 16 quarts of soup) we don't actually cook. We're
> all LIARS. Heh.
>
> You think people only pick on Julie? Wrong.
>
> Jill

No, I think some start picking fights with others when she's gone, and some
just pick apart everyone no matter what they say on any given day.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Show me where I have bashed your posts? I merely observed that I don't
>>> need to make such huge amounts.

>>> Thank you Sheldon. I think your memory is fading. I have posted many
>>> recipes and pictures of food I have prepared, but of course if you need
>>> to make yourself feel better, then do continue to abuse me.

>> Julie has been missing for a couple of days, so be prepared for some to
>> start turning on others to heap their abuse on. LOL

> Well in this case, I really didn't deserve it so let him go for it

Of course you didn't deserve it, but when did that ever matter to Sheldon?
:-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Julie has been missing for a couple of days, so be prepared for some to
>>> start turning on others to heap their abuse on. LOL

>> Well in this case, I really didn't deserve it so let him go for it

> Of course you didn't deserve it, but when did that ever matter to Sheldon?
> :-)

I was rather mystified when he said he had tried to be my friend ... ?????
All I can say is that with friends like that I don't need enemies!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 1:42 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> You think people only pick on Julie? Wrong.
>>
>> Jill

> No, I think some start picking fights with others when she's gone, and
> some just pick apart everyone no matter what they say on any given day.
>

> Cheri

Yeah, well, he's picked on me from the get go. I was talking about
cornbread, he went off on me about "corned [rye] bread" which is a
completely different thing. He also accused me of coveting my brother's
Calphalon cookware. Brother got it at an auction where he worked and I
felt paying $500 for a few pots and pans was way over the top. Coveted?
Nope, I was wondering what is so special about Calphalon that it would
be worth $500.

Freezer or no freezer, I still maintain cooking 5 lbs of meatloaf for
only a couple of people is silly. Sure, it freezes well but I'd rather
stock my freezer with raw meat than with pounds of leftover meat loaf.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy quantities just isn't practical
for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and taste after six months or so, and if one
is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all kinds of quality before being consumed.
Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to cook anew for each meal, or most
meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving for a future time suits me and my taste
buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space (freezers or shelves for home canned goods) for those
kinds of quantities is prohibitive.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy
> quantities just isn't practical
> for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and taste
> after six months or so, and if one
> is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all
> kinds of quality before being consumed.
> Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to cook
> anew for each meal, or most
> meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving for a
> future time suits me and my taste
> buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space (freezers
> or shelves for home canned goods) for those
> kinds of quantities is prohibitive.
>
> N.

All very true, with just the two of us now and being older we don't really
eat that much at all anymore, so I do like to cook just about every day, not
always complicated cooking or anything, but usually decide the evening
before what we'll have the next day. I do like leftovers, so do make larger
batches of soup and things like that to freeze.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy
> quantities just isn't practical
> for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and taste
> after six months or so, and if one
> is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all
> kinds of quality before being consumed.
> Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to cook
> anew for each meal, or most
> meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving for a
> future time suits me and my taste
> buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space (freezers
> or shelves for home canned goods) for those
> kinds of quantities is prohibitive.

All very good points!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy
>> quantities just isn't practical
>> for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and
>> taste after six months or so, and if one
>> is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all
>> kinds of quality before being consumed.
>> Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to cook
>> anew for each meal, or most
>> meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving for a
>> future time suits me and my taste
>> buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space (freezers
>> or shelves for home canned goods) for those
>> kinds of quantities is prohibitive.
>>
>> N.

> All very true, with just the two of us now and being older we don't really
> eat that much at all anymore, so I do like to cook just about every day,
> not always complicated cooking or anything, but usually decide the evening
> before what we'll have the next day. I do like leftovers, so do make
> larger batches of soup and things like that to freeze.

Yes, we are just two like you, and like you our appetites are much smaller
than they used to be! I like to cook a fresh meal every day, but I do
freeze some stuff, like I just froze half of that meat loaf I just made. DH
likes that in sandwiches too so it might not appear again as part of dinner,
but it will be eaten and enjoyed. If I made massive amounts of food at once
it would last a very long time and I wouldn't have the pleasure of cooking
so often.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2015 12:22 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy
>> quantities just isn't practical
>> for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and
>> taste after six months or so, and if one
>> is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all
>> kinds of quality before being consumed.
>> Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to
>> cook anew for each meal, or most
>> meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving
>> for a future time suits me and my taste
>> buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space
>> (freezers or shelves for home canned goods) for those
>> kinds of quantities is prohibitive.
>>
>> N.

> All very true, with just the two of us now and being older we don't
> really eat that much at all anymore, so I do like to cook just about
> every day, not always complicated cooking or anything, but usually
> decide the evening before what we'll have the next day. I do like
> leftovers, so do make larger batches of soup and things like that to
> freeze.
>

> Cheri

We have an auxiliary refrigerator and we have a freezer, which is
probably too many appliances for just two people. We are trying to
figure out which appliance(s) we can live without.

I cook breakfast every day, today it was huevos ranchero and I cook
lunch and I make snacks, yesterday I made a hot, artichoke dip, so if I
can double a dinner recipe and freeze the remainder, I like that. I
enjoy cooking, but I often cook several times a day.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 1/13/2015 12:22 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy
>>> quantities just isn't practical
>>> for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and
>>> taste after six months or so, and if one
>>> is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all
>>> kinds of quality before being consumed.
>>> Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to
>>> cook anew for each meal, or most
>>> meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving
>>> for a future time suits me and my taste
>>> buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space
>>> (freezers or shelves for home canned goods) for those
>>> kinds of quantities is prohibitive.
>>>
>>> N.

>> All very true, with just the two of us now and being older we don't
>> really eat that much at all anymore, so I do like to cook just about
>> every day, not always complicated cooking or anything, but usually
>> decide the evening before what we'll have the next day. I do like
>> leftovers, so do make larger batches of soup and things like that to
>> freeze.
>>

>> Cheri

> We have an auxiliary refrigerator and we have a freezer, which is probably
> too many appliances for just two people. We are trying to figure out which
> appliance(s) we can live without.
>
> I cook breakfast every day, today it was huevos ranchero and I cook lunch
> and I make snacks, yesterday I made a hot, artichoke dip, so if I can
> double a dinner recipe and freeze the remainder, I like that. I enjoy
> cooking, but I often cook several times a day.

You go girl))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 1/13/2015 12:22 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> Shel making meatloaf with five pounds of meat, and making soup in Navy
>>> quantities just isn't practical
>>> for most of us. For one thing, frozen cooked goods lose texture and
>>> taste after six months or so, and if one
>>> is a single or feeding a couple, those quantities would be losing all
>>> kinds of quality before being consumed.
>>> Many people here enjoy cooking and feel it isn't a waste of time to
>>> cook anew for each meal, or most
>>> meals. As a solo diner, if I make enough to have one extra serving
>>> for a future time suits me and my taste
>>> buds very well. For another, the cost of having storage space
>>> (freezers or shelves for home canned goods) for those
>>> kinds of quantities is prohibitive.
>>>
>>> N.

>> All very true, with just the two of us now and being older we don't
>> really eat that much at all anymore, so I do like to cook just about
>> every day, not always complicated cooking or anything, but usually
>> decide the evening before what we'll have the next day. I do like
>> leftovers, so do make larger batches of soup and things like that to
>> freeze.
>>

>> Cheri

> We have an auxiliary refrigerator and we have a freezer, which is probably
> too many appliances for just two people. We are trying to figure out which
> appliance(s) we can live without.
>
> I cook breakfast every day, today it was huevos ranchero and I cook lunch
> and I make snacks, yesterday I made a hot, artichoke dip, so if I can
> double a dinner recipe and freeze the remainder, I like that. I enjoy
> cooking, but I often cook several times a day.
>
> Becca

I don't cook breakfast for us as a rule. I'm up very early, so I usually
have a couple of poached eggs, when he gets up he makes oatmeal for himself.
I fix lunch and dinner. I like to have leftovers, but not making huge
portions to freeze anymore much.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
>Becca wrote:
>>Cheri wrote:

I don't cook anywhere near navy quantities at home... aboard ship I
cooked for 400+, at home I cook for one or two and sometimes up to
six. Aboard ship there were no saved left overs, there was no space
to store left overs, there was barely enough space to store
ingredients, any left over food was deep sixed... in fact when we
replanished at sea more than we had room for in the reefers came
aboard on one side and went right into the sea on the other side,
literally TONS of frozen meat fed Neptune... there was only storage
for dried beans, no room for canned... I learned to cook dried beans
because hardly a day passed that beans were not on the menu. I don't
consider a meat loaf made with 5-7 pounds of ground meat navy sized,
I'd prepare meat loaf with 160 pounds of ground beef to feed the crew
(ground beef came in 40 pound cases, frozen). At home I grind my own
meat so it makes sense to cook extra just to save the redundant clean
up let alone all the prep, and running an oven for just enough is kind
of stupid... plus meat loaf freezes very well. And truth is I don't
mind eating the same thing 2-3 days in a row and meat loaf is one of
my favorites so typically there are no left overs, but a large meat
loaf gives me a few days of no cooking, having left overs in the
freezer gives me dinner with no cooking... I consider meat loaf
sandwiche for dinner a treat. It's very dumb/low IQ to cook just
enough home made soup for one meal, I won't even discuss that moroon
topic. None of yoose would know where to begin cooking for 400+, let
alone the quantities involved

Bullshit! Today especially most people subsist on frozen foods, when
did yoose last peruse a stupidmarket, frozen prepared foods/meals is
huge... the vast majority of restaurant foods are frozen foods.

You really should just speak for yourself, I speak for myself, I know
what I cook and I do no embellishing or speak about things I don't
actually cook, I don't really know that many here actually cook. I
simply do not believe many people here do much cooking, in all the
years I've been here I can count on the fingers of one hand how many
who I've actually seen much if any cooking from... anyone can talk
cooking a good meal, SHOW ME... and most of what I've seen is an
embarrassment.

>>> All very true, with just the two of us now and being older we don't
>>> really eat that much at all anymore, so I do like to cook just about
>>> every day, not always complicated cooking or anything, but usually
>>> decide the evening before what we'll have the next day. I do like
>>> leftovers, so do make larger batches of soup and things like that to
>>> freeze.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> We have an auxiliary refrigerator and we have a freezer, which is probably
>> too many appliances for just two people. We are trying to figure out which
>> appliance(s) we can live without.
>>
>> I cook breakfast every day, today it was huevos ranchero and I cook lunch
>> and I make snacks, yesterday I made a hot, artichoke dip, so if I can
>> double a dinner recipe and freeze the remainder, I like that. I enjoy
>> cooking, but I often cook several times a day.
>>
>> Becca

>I don't cook breakfast for us as a rule. I'm up very early, so I usually
>have a couple of poached eggs, when he gets up he makes oatmeal for himself.
>I fix lunch and dinner. I like to have leftovers, but not making huge
>portions to freeze anymore much.

Reveille here is 5 AM. The biggest breakfast cooked here is two
slices of toast with jam... and every morning I cook coffee... no
breakfast people here. Tonight's dinner will be skinless boneless
chicken breasts, 4 lbs sliced into cutlets, seasoned and sauted... ten
pieces already cooked and in the fridge, enough for 2-3 meals for two
plus cat treats... not sure about go-with yet, probably some frozen
veggies nuked, or could become chicken parm heros... other than fresh
fruit desserts are rare here. Dinner is made:
http://i62.tinypic.com/n2n23o.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> enough home made soup for one meal, I won't even discuss that moroon
> topic. None of yoose would know where to begin cooking for 400+, let
> alone the quantities involved

Really? I worked at the satellite school program for 3 years where we made
1200 hot lunches most days to be transported to schools without cafeterias.
Most were made from scratch, packaged and sent out, so you really don't have
a lock on quantities at all. Try making cole slaw for 1200 lunches sometime,
which I did once a week, shredded the cabbage in the Hobart the day before,
made the dressing, and dressed it just before packaging.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 8:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> kind of
>>> loaf,

>>> boiled

>>> Why am I seeing meat loaf Wellington? )

>> That sounds pretty good. I'm gonna have to try that one day, thanks!

> LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)

Last night I made a meat loaf stuffed with cucumber kim chee and shoyu
pork. I thought it was awesome but my wife thought it was awful. That's
the breaks - you win some and you lose some. Maybe a meatloaf stuffed
with asparagus... :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2015 1:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> enough home made soup for one meal, I won't even discuss that moroon
>> topic. None of yoose would know where to begin cooking for 400+, let
>> alone the quantities involved

> Really? I worked at the satellite school program for 3 years where we made
> 1200 hot lunches most days to be transported to schools without cafeterias.
> Most were made from scratch, packaged and sent out, so you really don't have
> a lock on quantities at all. Try making cole slaw for 1200 lunches sometime,
> which I did once a week, shredded the cabbage in the Hobart the day before,
> made the dressing, and dressed it just before packaging.
>
> Cheri

I worked for a short time in a resort hotel in Maine and we did a
convention dinner for 500... 400 lobster dinners and 100 chicken dinners
(for those who didn't like lobster). This, plus the usual dinner
seating of around 200 people.

It was my first time for something like this and I was amazed at how
well it came off. I did prep work all day and hauled trays of food and
dirty dishes all night. No interaction with the customers, just moving
food out... and dirty dishes back.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> Last night I made a meat loaf stuffed with cucumber kim chee and shoyu
> pork. I thought it was awesome but my wife thought it was awful. That's
> the breaks - you win some and you lose some. Maybe a meatloaf stuffed with
> asparagus... :-)

Hmm not my cuppatea but whatever floats your boat eh?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> enough home made soup for one meal, I won't even discuss that moroon
>> topic. None of yoose would know where to begin cooking for 400+, let
>> alone the quantities involved

> Really? I worked at the satellite school program for 3 years where we made
> 1200 hot lunches most days to be transported to schools without
> cafeterias. Most were made from scratch, packaged and sent out, so you
> really don't have a lock on quantities at all. Try making cole slaw for
> 1200 lunches sometime, which I did once a week, shredded the cabbage in
> the Hobart the day before, made the dressing, and dressed it just before
> packaging.

Phew, that is a lot of food!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:22:28 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)

>>Last night I made a meat loaf stuffed with cucumber kim chee and shoyu
>>pork. I thought it was awesome but my wife thought it was awful. That's
>>the breaks - you win some and you lose some. Maybe a meatloaf stuffed
>>with asparagus... :-)

> I'm totally with your wife

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2015 10:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> Last night I made a meat loaf stuffed with cucumber kim chee and shoyu
>> pork. I thought it was awesome but my wife thought it was awful.
>> That's the breaks - you win some and you lose some. Maybe a meatloaf
>> stuffed with asparagus... :-)

> Hmm not my cuppatea but whatever floats your boat eh?

These days, keep my boat afloat requires a lot of bailing. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2015 10:53 AM, wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:22:28 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> LOL well ... let me know if you ever make one)

>> Last night I made a meat loaf stuffed with cucumber kim chee and shoyu
>> pork. I thought it was awesome but my wife thought it was awful. That's
>> the breaks - you win some and you lose some. Maybe a meatloaf stuffed
>> with asparagus... :-)

> I'm totally with your wife

Oh well, back to the drawing board...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/14/2015 10:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Last night I made a meat loaf stuffed with cucumber kim chee and shoyu
>>> pork. I thought it was awesome but my wife thought it was awful.
>>> That's the breaks - you win some and you lose some. Maybe a meatloaf
>>> stuffed with asparagus... :-)

>> Hmm not my cuppatea but whatever floats your boat eh?
>>

> These days, keep my boat afloat requires a lot of bailing. :-)

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 20:48:19 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>> enough home made soup for one meal, I won't even discuss that moroon
>>> topic. None of yoose would know where to begin cooking for 400+, let
>>> alone the quantities involved

>> Really? I worked at the satellite school program for 3 years where we made
>> 1200 hot lunches most days to be transported to schools without
>> cafeterias. Most were made from scratch, packaged and sent out, so you
>> really don't have a lock on quantities at all. Try making cole slaw for
>> 1200 lunches sometime, which I did once a week, shredded the cabbage in
>> the Hobart the day before, made the dressing, and dressed it just before
>> packaging.

>Phew, that is a lot of food!!!

In all the time they'be been here the LIARS never claimed any such
thing.

DON'T LET YER MEAT LOAF Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 08-07-2016 02:53 PM
Meat Loaf Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 30-12-2012 06:55 PM
Tex-Mex Meat Loaf Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
"meat" loaf Serene General Cooking 0 25-04-2005 03:23 AM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM