Old 29-12-2014, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baked Acorn Squash

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Jill

Old 30-12-2014, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:56:41 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Jill

OMGosh, that looks roasted perfectly.

koko

James Beard
Old 30-12-2014, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, December 29, 2014 2:56:49 PM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:
I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Jill

I love to put apple butter in the squash when it's roasted.
Old 30-12-2014, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2014 7:55 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Monday, December 29, 2014 2:56:49 PM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:
I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Jill

I love to put apple butter in the squash when it's roasted.

That sounds different.

Jill

Old 30-12-2014, 05:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 29, 2014 3:56:49 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Jill

Looks great...I used to grow those and it was a treat to roast them in the oven...company always enjoyed them. They can be done in the microwave oven but a conventional oven bake is better.

Good pic as well.
====
Old 30-12-2014, 07:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Jill

That looks very good.

Cheri

Old 30-12-2014, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Looks good to me! I've never considered eating the skin of an acorn
squash, but was surprised to find that the skin of a delicata is just
as edible as the skin of a zucchini. So they went onto the squash
list. I love squash! Cutting it can be problematic at times, but
eating? Rarely.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Old 30-12-2014, 01:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

OMGosh, that looks roasted perfectly.

YES it does, Jill. When I first saw the picture, I just wanted to grab
a spoon and dig into the picture on my monitor.

Thanks for the picture! This is why pics are good. If you had said you
made baked acorn squash without a pic, I would have read that and
moved on. Your picture really sold me! Sold me so much that I bought
an acorn squash this morning and would like to recreate that.

Would you please post a semi recipe? I assume you brushed it with some
olive oil then spiced it somewhat.

What seasoning did you use and how long was it roasted and at what
temperature?

G.
Old 30-12-2014, 02:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2014 7:51 AM, Gary wrote:
koko wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

OMGosh, that looks roasted perfectly.

YES it does, Jill. When I first saw the picture, I just wanted to grab
a spoon and dig into the picture on my monitor.

Thanks for the picture! This is why pics are good. If you had said you
made baked acorn squash without a pic, I would have read that and
moved on. Your picture really sold me! Sold me so much that I bought
an acorn squash this morning and would like to recreate that.

Don't count on me taking food pics all the time.

Would you please post a semi recipe? I assume you brushed it with some
olive oil then spiced it somewhat.

What seasoning did you use and how long was it roasted and at what
temperature?

G.

Simplicity itself. 400F degrees, 1 hour. After scooping out the seeds,
put a dollop of butter in the well of each half. Sprinkle with S&P and
put it in the oven. After about 10 minutes when the butter has melted,
brush the butter over the cut edges of the squash and add more butter if
desired.

Jill

Old 30-12-2014, 02:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Looks good to me! I've never considered eating the skin of an acorn
squash, but was surprised to find that the skin of a delicata is just
as edible as the skin of a zucchini. So they went onto the squash
list. I love squash! Cutting it can be problematic at times, but
eating? Rarely.

Someone (maybe several someones) here said the skin of acorn squash is
edible. I tasted a small piece once and found it to be very bitter.

I love squash, too. I bought the acorn squash at a nearby farm stand.
They grow yellow (crookneck), zucchini, butternut and acorn squashes.
No delicata. I'm sure I could find it at Publix, I just never think to
look for it.

Jill
Old 30-12-2014, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

You cut it on the equator! Very pretty! I always cut my squash in half
the other way. Easier to stand it up in the pan.

How did you get yours to sit straight? The acorn squash we get here
are usually pointy on the bottom.

Doris

Old 30-12-2014, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30-Dec-2014, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do
not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

Thanks for the picture! This is why pics are good. If you had said you
made baked acorn squash without a pic, I would have read that and
moved on. Your picture really sold me! Sold me so much that I bought
an acorn squash this morning and would like to recreate that.

Would you please post a semi recipe? I assume you brushed it with some
olive oil then spiced it somewhat.

What seasoning did you use and how long was it roasted and at what
temperature?

There are many ways to season winter squash; butter w/s n'p, butter
with cinnamon, butter with dark brown sugar, butter with raisins,
butter with pineapple, and any combination thereof, only limited by
ones imagination... even a big spoon of orange marmalade works well.
Sometimes I'll fill the cavity with precooked breakfast sausage.

I have tried all the ways Sheldon mentioned and liked them all, especially
the sausage filling. As he said "limited only by ones imagination". A very
imaginative person came up with a twist I thought odd but enjoyed quite a
lot - stab the cavity with a fork several times, then fill cavity with Dr.
Pepper. As the squash bakes, the Dr Pepper enters and flavors the flesh via
the tine holes.
--
Change cujo to juno
Old 30-12-2014, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

You cut it on the equator! Very pretty! I always cut my squash in half
the other way. Easier to stand it up in the pan.

How did you get yours to sit straight? The acorn squash we get here
are usually pointy on the bottom.

Doris

I always cut it that way. Sometimes the squash is pointy (or has a bit
of stem that needs to be cut off one end). The two I bought (only
showed one of them) were fairly spherical and not at all pointy. They
sat very nicely on the baking sheet. Otherwise I'd have trimmed a small
bit of the point off the end.

Jill
Old 30-12-2014, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:51:11 -0800, koko wrote:

wrote:

I'm not very hungry so this is all I'm having for dinner. No, I do not
eat the skin, just the flesh.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lkutjq.jpg

You cut it on the equator! Very pretty! I always cut my squash in half
the other way. Easier to stand it up in the pan.

How did you get yours to sit straight? The acorn squash we get here
are usually pointy on the bottom.

Doris

I trim off the ends so they'll sit still.

Both methods work but slicing north to south ensure that each half's
cavity is equal, slicing through their equater it's impossible to
judge so that each cavity is equal... I've already sliced acorn squash
through its equater and one half got like 80% of the cavity and the
other got the remaining 20%. Squash cavities are very equally spaced
port to starboard but not stem to stern. With butternut squash the
uneveness is much more pronounced, that's why I slice off the entire
narrow section and treat thet portion differently as it will have no
cavity... sometimes I create a cavity in that part with a melon
baller. Occasionally I will grill the halves that have no cavity long
and slow in the Weber so that they turn out like fat free gouda
cheese. Some years I havest hundreds of winter squash, I can't give
enough away as everyone around here grows them and it's not easy to
figure out how to cook them enough different ways. A lot of people
use butternut squash for baking pumpkin pie... when you buy canned
pumpkin it's actually butternut squash... they are so closely
botanically related that's it's legally permitted by the USDA.