Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default into and over

On 12/20/2014 5:11 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I've not really given tongs and bacteria any thought, but I really hate
> to see a butcher handling meat without gloves.
>
> Cheri

Same thing holds true for fish. I haven't noticed any lack of gloves
when I buy meat (or fish) from Publix.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:57:48 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/20/2014 5:11 PM, Cheri wrote:
> >

> > I've not really given tongs and bacteria any thought, but I really hate
> > to see a butcher handling meat without gloves.
> >
> > Cheri

> Same thing holds true for fish. I haven't noticed any lack of gloves
> when I buy meat (or fish) from Publix.
>
> Jill

I think the meat and fish handlers will be okay without gloves, as long as they wash their hands before they eat.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2014 6:08 PM, dalep wrote:
> On Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:57:48 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/20/2014 5:11 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>>

>>> I've not really given tongs and bacteria any thought, but I really hate
>>> to see a butcher handling meat without gloves.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Same thing holds true for fish. I haven't noticed any lack of gloves
>> when I buy meat (or fish) from Publix.
>>
>> Jill

> I think the meat and fish handlers will be okay without gloves, as long as they wash their hands before they eat.
>
> DaleP

I can't remember the last time I didn't see them wear (and change)
plastic gloves when they're portioning out meat or fish I've chosen from
the butcher counter. Naturally that's the way I prefer it. IOW, I'm
not worried about it. They've been wearing gloves for years. I don't
see it as a new idea.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:19:08 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/20/2014 6:08 PM, dalep wrote:

> >> Same thing holds true for fish. I haven't noticed any lack of gloves
> >> when I buy meat (or fish) from Publix.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I think the meat and fish handlers will be okay without gloves, as long as they wash their hands before they eat.
> >
> > DaleP
> >

> I can't remember the last time I didn't see them wear (and change)
> plastic gloves when they're portioning out meat or fish I've chosen from
> the butcher counter. Naturally that's the way I prefer it. IOW, I'm
> not worried about it. They've been wearing gloves for years. I don't
> see it as a new idea.

Exactly.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2014 6:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I can't remember the last time I didn't see them wear (and change)
> plastic gloves when they're portioning out meat or fish I've chosen from
> the butcher counter. Naturally that's the way I prefer it. IOW, I'm
> not worried about it. They've been wearing gloves for years. I don't
> see it as a new idea.
>
> Jill

Back in the early 60's I worked in a grocery/butcher shop. Gloves were
unheard of back then. Yes, my hands touched every slice of your
lunchmeat as I sliced it. I don't recall when gloves became the norm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-21, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Back in the early 60's I worked in a grocery/butcher shop. Gloves were
> unheard of back then. Yes, my hands touched every slice of your
> lunchmeat as I sliced it. I don't recall when gloves became the norm.

No doubt, when glove companies became profitable enough to hire
lobbyists.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-21 11:49 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-12-21, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Back in the early 60's I worked in a grocery/butcher shop. Gloves were
>> unheard of back then. Yes, my hands touched every slice of your
>> lunchmeat as I sliced it. I don't recall when gloves became the norm.

> No doubt, when glove companies became profitable enough to hire
> lobbyists.

A lot of public health issues have been legislated over the years.
We never used to see hand sanitizer dispensers in public places, not
even in hospitals. Now they are everywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:42:09 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-21 11:49 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2014-12-21, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >
> >> Back in the early 60's I worked in a grocery/butcher shop. Gloves were
> >> unheard of back then. Yes, my hands touched every slice of your
> >> lunchmeat as I sliced it. I don't recall when gloves became the norm.

> > No doubt, when glove companies became profitable enough to hire
> > lobbyists.

> A lot of public health issues have been legislated over the years.
> We never used to see hand sanitizer dispensers in public places, not
> even in hospitals. Now they are everywhere.

Antibacterial soap is being banned. Actually it's a chemical called
triclosan that's being banned, mainly because it's connected to the
increase of antibiotic-resistant "superbugs".
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/anti.../triclosan.php

I am not a big user of antibacterial soaps, but I do require the wet
wipes grocery stores put at their entrances because it never fails
that I pick up a cold if I don't use one on my cart handle and the
surrounding area.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Dec 2014 16:49:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2014-12-21, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > Back in the early 60's I worked in a grocery/butcher shop. Gloves were
> > unheard of back then. Yes, my hands touched every slice of your
> > lunchmeat as I sliced it. I don't recall when gloves became the norm.

> No doubt, when glove companies became profitable enough to hire
> lobbyists.

Oh, come on. How can you say that with all the gramophones in rfc?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/20/2014 5:11 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> I've not really given tongs and bacteria any thought, but I really hate
>> to see a butcher handling meat without gloves.
>>
>> Cheri

> Same thing holds true for fish. I haven't noticed any lack of gloves when
> I buy meat (or fish) from Publix.
>
> Jill

There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes one
of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one always
wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that that are
jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy meat. I think
it's disgusting.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 12:51 AM, Cheri wrote:

> There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes
> one of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one
> always wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that
> that are jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy
> meat. I think it's disgusting.
>
> Cheri

Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
where those gloves may have been.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 12:51 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes
>> one of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one
>> always wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that
>> that are jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy
>> meat. I think it's disgusting.
>>
>> Cheri

> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove that
> has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know where those
> gloves may have been.

I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 12/21/2014 12:51 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>>

>>> There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes
>>> one of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one
>>> always wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that
>>> that are jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy
>>> meat. I think it's disgusting.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know where
>> those gloves may have been.

> I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

I haven't.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 10:02 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>

>> I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

> I haven't.
>
> Cheri

Neither have I. The folks who are handling fish/meat at those counters
don't handle money. You pay for your food at the checkout, not at the
meat counter.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 10:02 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

>> I haven't.
>>
>> Cheri

> Neither have I. The folks who are handling fish/meat at those counters
> don't handle money. You pay for your food at the checkout, not at the
> meat counter.
>
> Jill

Same where I am in the supermarkets butcher sections.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 10:02 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

>> I haven't.
>>
>> Cheri

> Neither have I. The folks who are handling fish/meat at those counters
> don't handle money. You pay for your food at the checkout, not at the
> meat counter.

I was just referring to people with gloves. Not necessarily the meat
counter. I rarely buy from there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know where
>>> those gloves may have been.

>> I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

>I haven't.
>
>Cheri

I've seen it at most delis... in fact they remove the gloves, lay them
down on an unclean surface to do something and then put the same used
gloves back on to slice coldcuts. Next time you're at a deli stay
alert and watch, clerks are constantly wiping those gloved hands on
their dirty apron. What's the point of gloves when they are
constantly picking up dirty handled knives and spoons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 13:16:51 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Cheri wrote:

>>> I have seen them touch all sorts of things with gloves on. Even money!

>>I haven't.
>>
>>Cheri

>I've seen it at most delis... in fact they remove the gloves, lay them
>down on an unclean surface to do something and then put the same used
>gloves back on to slice coldcuts. Next time you're at a deli stay
>alert and watch, clerks are constantly wiping those gloved hands on
>their dirty apron. What's the point of gloves when they are
>constantly picking up dirty handled knives and spoons.

surely you don't think that you can have sterile food, and if you
could, why? Every single can, box, bottle and package you bring home
from the store has been handled by someone without gloves. How do you
open that cryovac'ed package of cheese without 'contaminating' the
contents or your food?
What goes on in the kitchen of a restaurant? This argument is all
about what you see, not what is real.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 1:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/21/2014 12:51 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes
>> one of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one
>> always wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that
>> that are jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy
>> meat. I think it's disgusting.
>>
>> Cheri

> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
> where those gloves may have been.

Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 1:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 12/21/2014 12:51 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>>

>>> There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes
>>> one of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one
>>> always wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that
>>> that are jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy
>>> meat. I think it's disgusting.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>> where those gloves may have been.

> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>
> Jill

And well they should.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 8:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>> where those gloves may have been.

> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>
> Jill

That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while
wearing the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 10:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/21/2014 8:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>>> where those gloves may have been.

>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>
>> Jill

> That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
> counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
> his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while
> wearing the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

How do you know he's wearing the same gloves? By the same token, he
could do all those things barehanded. Does that make it better?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> How do you know he's wearing the same gloves? By the same token, he
> could do all those things barehanded. Does that make it better?

It's all image! Make those butchers put on fresh gloves every time
they pick up a piece of meat so the lil' Miss Anal doesn't have a
stroke. What horsepuckey! I wear latex gloves when I don't wanna get
icky food on my hands. Screw the dish!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 8:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>>> where those gloves may have been.

>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>
>> Jill

> That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
> counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
> his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while wearing
> the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

I can't see that person so he/she can't turn my stomach.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 8:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>>> where those gloves may have been.

>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>
>> Jill

> That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
> counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
> his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while wearing
> the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

Is he even wearing gloves in the back?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 16:03:38 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
>> counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
>> his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while wearing
>> the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

>Is he even wearing gloves in the back?

A real butcher wouldn't be wearing gloves... a real butcher's hands
are cleaner than your dentist's... and the meat they handle is sterile
(dentists wear gloves for their protection, not yours). And if anyone
ever watched a real butcher ply their trade they rarely touch the meat
with their hands, they move/flip the meat with their knife and use
their other hand to pull at the trimmings as though it were a handle
for moving the meat as they carve. Just yesterday I stood ten feet
away just inside the door while the butcher readied my special order 6
lb top round roast, he never touched my roast with his hands. At the
end he hooked the roast with his knife tip and dropped it into a
styrofoam tray... my favorite buxom blond did the plastic wrap,
weighing, slapped the label on, and handed me my roast with a big
smile while saying "anything else I can do for you"? I've never seen
anyone in the back wearing gloves. On Long Island I'd often buy meat
at Meat Farms (a chain), the butchers worked behind a glass wall,
customers could see their every move, the sausage stuffing operation
was right there where one could see everything up close and personal,
no gloves. I miss that store, and they have good prices:
http://giuntasmeatfarms.com/index.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:08:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 12/21/2014 8:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>>> where those gloves may have been.

>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>
>> Jill

>That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
>counter.

The person tending the front counter is a clerk, not a butcher. I
have rarely seen clerks change gloves between customers other than to
put the same used gloves back on.

>How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
>his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while
>wearing the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

The butchers don't wear gloves, especially not running a grinder, a
band saw, or using razor sharp cutlery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/12/2014 8:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/21/2014 8:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
>>> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
>>> where those gloves may have been.

>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>
>> Jill

> That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
> counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
> his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while
> wearing the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

I was in a Chinese bakery once when I heard the baker out back hawk and
spit!
I never went back.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

>>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> That is the proper protocol and I'm sure they follow it in the front
>> counter. How about the guy grinding meat in the back that just dropped
>> his coffee cup on the floor? Or scratched his crotch? All while
>> wearing the same gloves he put on 4 hours ago.

> I was in a Chinese bakery once when I heard the baker out back hawk and
> spit!
> I never went back.

Which would explain why you and I prefer to make everything from scratch at
home)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 08:27:23 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.

I thought that was standard practice. Maybe union shops do it and
nonunion don't, I don't know anything about that. I'm just an end
user - I don't check for union cards.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 12:36 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 08:27:23 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Could be true, but from what I've seen at Publix they don a new pair of
>> gloves for each customer at the butcher and fish counters.

> I thought that was standard practice. Maybe union shops do it and
> nonunion don't, I don't know anything about that. I'm just an end
> user - I don't check for union cards.

Somehow I don't think the grocery stores where I've lived were union
shops. Not that I think about it one way or another. All I know is
they use gloves. I can't speak to what they do in the back in terms of
handling because I don't work there.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2014 12:51 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> There is a butcher shop near me that has wonderful meat, but...sometimes
>> one of the owners uses bare hands to grab the meat, and the other one
>> always wears gloves. They have wonderful olives and things like that
>> that are jarred, so if "barehands" is behind the counter, I don't buy
>> meat. I think it's disgusting.
>>
>> Cheri

> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove that
> has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know where those
> gloves may have been.

If I could see him washing his hands before handling the meat, I'd agree,
otherwise...I only buy olives, pickles, and things like that when he's
there. YMMV

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-21 1:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Never bothered me. I'd rather you use your washed hands than a glove
> that has picked up all sort of contaminants. You really don't know
> where those gloves may have been.

LOL thinking about a recent episode of This Is That, a CBC satire show.
They did a bit about a school principal who wanted everyone to wear
latex clothes so they would not be passing colds around. The interview
suggested that the kids might rub their runny noses with their gloved
hands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 10:04 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> LOL thinking about a recent episode of This Is That, a CBC satire show.
> They did a bit about a school principal who wanted everyone to wear
> latex clothes so they would not be passing colds around. The interview
> suggested that the kids might rub their runny noses with their gloved
> hands.

Like the guy handing out food samples at Costco, who wiped his nose with
his gloved hand, then continued to handle the food...