Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More Christmas baking

I made another two dozen mince meat tarts and about 4 dozen shortbread
cookies. Now..... to not eat them ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:48:01 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> I made another two dozen mince meat tarts and about 4 dozen shortbread
> cookies. Now..... to not eat them ;-)

Sounds very tempting. My mother-in-law brought us some divinity and
pumpkin cookies today.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/12/2014 11:48 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I made another two dozen mince meat tarts and about 4 dozen shortbread
> cookies. Now..... to not eat them ;-)

One xmas I baked about 7 dozen one a Sunday and by Tuesday they had all
gone (teenage sons). So I made another 5 dozen.
The following year I made another huge batch and the boys hardly touched
them.
I've noticed that many make them as a matter of tradition and people eat
just one, perhaps to remind themselves that they really don't like the
filling.
I now make raspberry almond tartlets and my friends all look forward to
them. They see them now as a xmas tradition.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:48:01 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I made another two dozen mince meat tarts and about 4 dozen shortbread
>cookies. Now..... to not eat them ;-)

I made about 48 lemon ricotta cookies about 10 days ago, and a batch
of ginger shortbread cookies last week. They are in the freezer. So
far I've only eaten one of each every day, so they should last.

I think two kinds of cookies is not quite enough. I'll make either
some jam thumbprints or some ginger snaps sometime this week.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:48:01 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>I made another two dozen mince meat tarts and about 4 dozen shortbread
>>cookies. Now..... to not eat them ;-)

> I made about 48 lemon ricotta cookies about 10 days ago, and a batch
> of ginger shortbread cookies last week. They are in the freezer. So
> far I've only eaten one of each every day, so they should last.
>

> I think two kinds of cookies is not quite enough. I'll make either
> some jam thumbprints or some ginger snaps sometime this week.
>
> Doris

I'm making a small treat every day for us but nothing elaborate. Today was
gingerbread cookies. I used Ree Drummonds recipe cut in half, kept two, one
for him and one for me, and gave the rest to the neighbor kids. Tomorrow
will be fudge. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:
>"Doris Night"wrote:
>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>>I made another two dozen mince meat tarts and about 4 dozen shortbread
>>>cookies. Now..... to not eat them ;-)

>> I made about 48 lemon ricotta cookies about 10 days ago, and a batch
>> of ginger shortbread cookies last week. They are in the freezer. So
>> far I've only eaten one of each every day, so they should last.
>>

>> I think two kinds of cookies is not quite enough. I'll make either
>> some jam thumbprints or some ginger snaps sometime this week.
>>
>> Doris

>I'm making a small treat every day for us but nothing elaborate. Today was
>gingerbread cookies. I used Ree Drummonds recipe cut in half, kept two, one
>for him and one for me, and gave the rest to the neighbor kids. Tomorrow
>will be fudge. :-)
>
>Cheri

My gingerbread stuff...

SPICY GINGERBREAD THINS

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee at room temperature
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
Parchment paper for lining baking sheets

Into a bowl sift together flour, pepper, ground ginger, baking soda,
salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. In a small bowl stir together
molasses and coffee. In a bowl with an electric mixer at medium
speed beat together butter and brown sugar until light and creamy.
With mixer at low speed beat in gingerroot. Beat in flour mixture
alternately with molasses mixture, beginning and ending with flour
mixture. Divide dough into thirds. Form each third into a ball and
flatten to form disks. Chill disks, wrapped separately in plastic
wrap,
at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment
paper.
Break off egg-size pieces from 1 disk (keep remaining 2 disks chilled)
and
with heel of hand smear each piece once in a forward motion. Gather
pieces together and give dough a few smears to bring together.
Repeat procedure with remaining 2 disks.

On a lightly floured work surface roll out one third of dough into a
22- by
8-inch rectangle (about 1/8 inch thick), making sure dough is not
sticking
to surface (use a pastry scraper to lift dough; sprinkle surface with
additional flour if sticking). With a 2-inch gingerbread man cutter or
3 1/2-inch candy cane cutter cut out shapes, transferring with a
spatula
to baking sheets and arranging about 1/2 inch apart.

Bake cookies in batches in lower third of oven 6 to 8 minutes, or
until
crisp (do not let cookies get too dark). With spatula transfer cookies
to racks to cool. Make more cookies with scraps and remaining two
thirds of dough in same manner. Cookies keep, in airtight containers
at room temperature, 1 week.
Makes about 120 cookies.

Gourmet December 1997

GINGERBREAD COOKIES AND CITRUS SUGAR COOKIES
Each recipe makes about three dozen cookies, depending on the
size of the cookie cutters used. The gingerbread cookies are
crisp and lightly spiced, while the sugar cookies have lively
lemon and tangerine flavors. Both are perfect for a variety
of imaginative decorations.

Gingerbread cookie dough

2 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured (light) molasses
1 large egg

Citrus sugar cookie dough

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 1/4 grated tangerine peel or orange peel
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg

Sift flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves into medium bowl.
Using electric mixer, beat shortening and butter in large bowl into
light.
Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in molasses, then egg. Add dry
ingredients. Using spoon, stir until mixture forms dough (dough will
be
very soft). Divide dough into thirds. Gather each third into ball;
flatten into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate until
firm, about 4 hours. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep
refrigerated.)

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
Using electric mixer, beat butter, lemon peel and
tangerine peel in large bowl until light. Add 1/2
cup sugar and 1/4 cup powdered sugar and beat
until fluffy. Beat in egg. Add dry ingredients.
Using spoon, stir until mixture forms dough
(dough will be soft). Divide dough into thirds.
Gather each third into ball; flatten into disks.
Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate until
firm, about 4 hours. (Can be prepared 2 days
ahead. Keep refrigerated. Let soften slightly,
if necessary, before rolling out.)

Shaping and baking cookies.

If you’re making both kinds of cookies, work with one type
of dough at a time.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously flour work surface
and rolling pin. Place 1 dough disk on work surface (keep
remaining 2 dough disks refrigerated). Press rolling pin into
dough several times to flatten slightly for easier rolling.
Roll out dough to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness, frequently
lifting and turning dough to prevent sticking. Using assorted
cookie cutters dipped into flour, cut out cookies. Transfer
cookies to ungreased nonstick baking sheets, spacing 1/2
inch apart. Gather dough scraps together and reserve.

Bake until cookies turn brown on edges, about 15 minutes.
Let cookies stand on sheets 1 minute. Using metal spatula,
transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.

Repeat rolling, cutting and baking with remaining 2 dough
disks as described above, being sure to cool cookie sheets
before making each batch. Combine all reserved dough
scraps and shape into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap disk
in plastic and freeze until firm enough to roll, about 30
minutes. Repeat rolling, cutting and baking as described
above. Store cooled cookies in airtight container at room
temperature until ready to decorate.

Powdered sugar icing

This recipe makes about three cups of icing, enough to
decorate all the gingerbread and sugar cookies in the
preceding recipes.

6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup milk
6 to 8 cups powdered sugar

Assorted food colorings (such as blue, red, yellow and green)
Combine lemon juice and milk in large bowl. Whisk in 5 cups
powdered sugar. Gradually whisk in enough remaining sugar
by 1/2 cupfuls to form icing stiff enough to pipe (mixture
will resemble stirred sour cream). Transfer 2/3 cup icing
to small bowl to use as white icing; set aside. Divide
remaining icing equally among 2 or more small bowls;
mix food coloring by drops into each bowl, tinting icing
to desired shade. If necessary, stir more sugar into
icing to thicken.

Decorating Cookies

The techniques listed below are all easy and give beautiful results.
You can even combine techniques: for example, cookies can be
glazed first and then piped or drizzled with icing or sprinkled
with colored sugar; or all of the above.

Milk
Pastry Brushes

Assorted decorations (such as colored sugar, sweetened
shredded coconut, toasted sliced almonds, chocolate and
rainbow sprinkles, multicolored nonpareils, button
mini semisweet baking bits and dried currants)

Standard pastry bags and 1/16-inch plain tips or disposable
plastic pastry bags

To glaze: Spoon a small amount of white or colored icing into
a small bowl. Mix in enough milk by 1/4 teaspoons to thin icing
to spreading consistency.

Using pastry brush, brush glaze over cooled baked cookies.
Continue decorating glazed cookies, if desired, using the
following techniques.

To sprinkle with decorations: Before glaze dries, sprinkle cookie
with assorted decorations.

To pipe using standard pastry bags: Fit each pastry bag
with 1/16-inch plain tip. Stand each bag in short cup.
Fold back top of bag to expose interior. Spoon 1 color
of icing into each bag. Lift bag from cup; twist top of
bag at level of icing to close securely.

To pipe using disposable plastic pastry bags: Stand each
plastic bag in a short cup. Spoon 1 color of icing into
each bag. Lift bag from cup; twist top of bag at level
of icing to close securely. Cut off very bottom of tip
to allow small ribbon of icing to come out.

Pipe icing decoratively onto plain or glazed cookies.
Before piped icing sets, sprinkle with colored sugar,
coconut or other decorations, if desired.

To drizzle: Line baking sheet with foil. Place plain
or glazed cookies on foil, spacing apart. Mix milk
into white or colored icing by 1/2 teaspoonfuls
until icing is thin enough to drizzle. Dip spoon
into icing and drizzle over cookies in zigzag or
slanted lines. Before icing lines set, sprinkle
with colored sugar, sweetened shredded coconut
or other decorations, if desired.

To apply decorations: Use wet icing as glue to
stick on nuts, dried currants or other decorations 1 at
a time. For example, dip tip of toasted sliced almonds
into icing. Attach iced section of almond to plain or
glazed cookie. Repeat to form 1 row of nuts or to
cover cookie completely.

Let decorated cookies stand until icing sets, about 2 hours
(Can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead. Store cookies in
single layers between sheets of waxed paper in airtight
containers.)

Bon Appétit
December 1995

Cooking Class