Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More Christmas baking

It's a damp cold day here, so a good one to get some baking done. I
could not find the premium brands of mince meat so I picked up a jar of
Presidents Choice.I tried a bit when I opened the jar and I have to say
it is pretty good, but not too good that it could not be laced with a
bit of brandy.

I tried the method someone told me about here for making tarts by
pressing the dough into the pan. Did not work. I ended up rolling it
out and cutting with cookie cutters. One cutter size was perfect for the
bottoms and the next size down worked for the tops.

The first batch is almost ready to come out of the oven.

Tomorrow.... shortbread. I have to remember to take the butter out of
the fridge to soften.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/12/2014 1:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> It's a damp cold day here, so a good one to get some baking done. I
> could not find the premium brands of mince meat so I picked up a jar of
> Presidents Choice.I tried a bit when I opened the jar and I have to say
> it is pretty good, but not too good that it could not be laced with a
> bit of brandy.
>
> I tried the method someone told me about here for making tarts by
> pressing the dough into the pan. Did not work. I ended up rolling it
> out and cutting with cookie cutters. One cutter size was perfect for the
> bottoms and the next size down worked for the tops.
>
> The first batch is almost ready to come out of the oven.
>
> Tomorrow.... shortbread. I have to remember to take the butter out of
> the fridge to soften.

Did you see the recipe for pistachio cookies in the G&M on Thursday?
I've bought some to try it.
http://tiny.cc/o1ptqx
What I like about this young woman's recipes (she lives in Calgary) is
that they are "bilingual", i.e., in grams as well as antediluvian cups.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-13 3:35 PM, graham wrote:

>> The first batch is almost ready to come out of the oven.
>>
>> Tomorrow.... shortbread. I have to remember to take the butter out of
>> the fridge to soften.

> Did you see the recipe for pistachio cookies in the G&M on Thursday?
> I've bought some to try it.
> http://tiny.cc/o1ptqx
> What I like about this young woman's recipes (she lives in Calgary) is
> that they are "bilingual", i.e., in grams as well as antediluvian cups.

Looks interesting, but I have had issues with nuts. I don't know if it
was related to my former gall bladder or if it diverticulitis. I have
been trying them in small doses but don't want to take a chance on
ruining the holidays with a massive but related problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:35:44 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 13/12/2014 1:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > It's a damp cold day here, so a good one to get some baking done. I
> > could not find the premium brands of mince meat so I picked up a jar of
> > Presidents Choice.I tried a bit when I opened the jar and I have to say
> > it is pretty good, but not too good that it could not be laced with a
> > bit of brandy.
> >
> > I tried the method someone told me about here for making tarts by
> > pressing the dough into the pan. Did not work. I ended up rolling it
> > out and cutting with cookie cutters. One cutter size was perfect for the
> > bottoms and the next size down worked for the tops.
> >
> > The first batch is almost ready to come out of the oven.
> >
> > Tomorrow.... shortbread. I have to remember to take the butter out of
> > the fridge to soften.

> Did you see the recipe for pistachio cookies in the G&M on Thursday?
> I've bought some to try it.
> http://tiny.cc/o1ptqx
> What I like about this young woman's recipes (she lives in Calgary) is
> that they are "bilingual", i.e., in grams as well as antediluvian cups.
> Graham

I don't understand why we're not hearing about John Kuthe's Candy this year. By all accounts it was very good and I know he enjoyed it. Is he okay?