Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cast Iron Pans

The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...cast-iron.html
I've heard all except #5. That was a new one.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

#5 was new to me, too. I don't think there were any nylon or silicone spoons or turners 100 years or more ago. I know my mom and dad never heard of them much less used them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Apropos Myth #2: Has anyone on this NG ever "broken" a cast iron
skillet? I have. It was a vintage Wagner 10 inch.

How?

Put the pan on an induction hob, cold, and start the hob at 375
degrees. Leave the room until you hear the CRACK!!! Turn the hob off,
and pour yourself an adult beverage so you can grieve over your broken
skillet. The center expands while the heat is trying to get to the
outer rim. The center wins, and the skillet bursts from the center
outward.

A-

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 08:58:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away
>http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...cast-iron.html
>I've heard all except #5. That was a new one.
>
>--
>A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemiker" > wrote in message
> Apropos Myth #2: Has anyone on this NG ever "broken" a cast iron
> skillet? I have. It was a vintage Wagner 10 inch.
>
> How?
>
> Put the pan on an induction hob, cold, and start the hob at 375
> degrees. Leave the room until you hear the CRACK!!! Turn the hob off,
> and pour yourself an adult beverage so you can grieve over your broken
> skillet. The center expands while the heat is trying to get to the
> outer rim. The center wins, and the skillet bursts from the center
> outward.

Commiserations!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/14, 11:40 AM, Chemiker wrote:

> Put the pan on an induction hob, cold, and start the hob at 375
> degrees.... The center expands while the heat is trying to get to the
> outer rim. The center wins, and the skillet bursts from the center
> outward.

In less extreme cases, this is also a good way to warp a CI pan by
permanently raising the center area.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2014 12:32 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, December 5, 2014 10:58:18 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>>
>> The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...cast-iron.html
>> I've heard all except #5. That was a new one.
>>

> #5 was new to me, too. I don't think there were any nylon or silicone spoons or turners
> 100 years or more ago. I know my mom and dad never heard of them much less used them.

No kidding. Cast iron isn't teflon or whatever other non-stick coatings
were available. It doesn't require special cooking implements to
prevent scratching. A metal spoon, a metal spatula, no problems.

Jill