Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default 7 myths about cast iron pans

Good article.

http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 15:24:17 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>Good article.
>
>http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

It appears that I am doing everything right
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:24:20 PM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
> Good article.
>
> http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

I see no reason to use soap on a cast iron pan and that's the truth!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:24:37 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:13:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:24:20 PM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
> >> Good article.
> >>
> >> http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

> >I see no reason to use soap on a cast iron pan and that's the truth!

> The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
> heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.

It certainly is an advantage but washing a pan without water is tough for me to get a handle on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-08, ImStillMags > wrote:
> Good article.
>
> http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

Pointless CI groupie spin.

"Well, garsh..... it does have a couple teenie-weenie drawbacks"

If you like CI, use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. I,
myself, am no longer a fan. Too heavy. Too limited. Too much hassle
fer me!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:41:19 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:38:29 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:24:37 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> >> The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
> >> heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.

> >It certainly is an advantage but washing a pan without water is tough for me to get a handle on.

> It is a bit heavy on the paper towel but usually there is just some
> run off fat and maybe some debris from the cooked article. It has
> worked well, is quick, and nobody has died. It's the way I was shown
> by my father, only he used newspaper.

Sounds like a very practical guy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 20:24:30 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:13:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:24:20 PM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> Good article.

http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

>>I see no reason to use soap on a cast iron pan and that's the truth!

>The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
>heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.

I've used soap on a few occasions, but I've never had to re-heat the
pan after. Never had a problem with a few drops of water left, but
most often, it is wiped with a paper towel and in NEVER oiled and/or
heated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 20:07:52 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 15:24:17 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>
>>Good article.

http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

>Excellent. I still will not be using water on mine though, it has
>worked my way for so many years now I see no reason to change

Why change indeed, if your method already works well
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>Good article.

What's so good about it... much of the information is incorrect.
First cast iron is an alloy, of which nowadays there are hundreds...
modern cast iron is far, FAR better than the old stuff, that is unless
you're comparing a $3 pan to a $30 pan... and collector price has no
bearing whatsoever on cast iron alloy quality. Cast iron was fine
cookware when all there was to cook with was wood and coal... with
today's modern stoves cast iron does not take advantage of the full
benefit of precisely controlled even heat... it's plain stupid to
invest in a 2-3 thousand dollar stove and use it to cook with archaic
cast iron. And cast iron is ridiculously heavy and cumbersome... if
one really wants that same cooking surface carbon steel pans are far
superior... ask any Chinese cook if they want to go back to using cast
iron woks. I tossed all my cast iron cookware in the trash fifty
years ago... learn how to season stainless steel and you'll never go
back... that's right, stainless steel cookware can be seasoned so that
food sticks less than with teflon.

>http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:24:20 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:

> Good article.
>
> http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

I only have two small cast iron skillets and they're both used for cornbread. When I'm through with them they get a quick wipe with a dry paper towel.. And once in a while the smallest one is used to brown butter for browned butter 'sketti. It gets a wipe down as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:24:37 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:13:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> > > I see no reason to use soap on a cast iron pan and that's the
> > > truth!

> > The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
> > heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.

> It certainly is an advantage but washing a pan without water is tough
> for me to get a handle on.

Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
them out.

I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 19:11:25 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:24:20 PM UTC-6, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> Good article.
>>
>> http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html
>>

>I only have two small cast iron skillets and they're both used for cornbread. When I'm through with them they get a quick wipe with a dry paper towel. And once in a while the smallest one is used to brown butter for browned butter 'sketti. It gets a wipe down as well.

If that's all I did with my cast iron pan, I wouldn't feel a need to
wash it either.

But I frequently use mine for onions, tomato sauce, and all manner of
"fragrant" foods. So It gets washed, and it hasn't suffered.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Nov 2014 00:49:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2014-11-08, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> Good article.
>>
>> http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

>Pointless CI groupie spin.

It seems some people can make stereotypes out of *anything*.

>"Well, garsh..... it does have a couple teenie-weenie drawbacks"
>
>If you like CI, use it. If you don't like it, don't use it.

That's probably a sensible approach...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:18:41 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:24:37 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> > > The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
> > > heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.

> > It certainly is an advantage but washing a pan without water is tough
> > for me to get a handle on.

> Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
> them out.
>
> I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
> that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
> washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
> away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).
>

> --

I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with that but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6 months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use. No matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome opinion anyway....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2014 1:11 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:18:41 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> It certainly is an advantage but washing a pan without water is tough
>>> for me to get a handle on.

>> Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
>> them out.
>>
>> I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
>> that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
>> washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
>> away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).
>>

>> --

> I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with that but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6 months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use. No matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome opinion anyway...

One thing I've wondered about is whether cast iron cookware can supply a
significant amount of iron to the diet. I've read that it can, and was a
good source of iron for the pioneers in the 19th century. However, it
sounds to me like the seasoning on a pan might interfere with this, and
regardless, how much iron actually makes it's way into the food isn't
obvious. I'd be interested to know what the truth is here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:25:39 PM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 19:11:25 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I only have two small cast iron skillets and they're both used for cornbread. When I'm through with them they get a quick wipe with a dry paper towel. And once in a while the smallest one is used to brown butter for browned butter 'sketti. It gets a wipe down as well.

> If that's all I did with my cast iron pan, I wouldn't feel a need to
> wash it either.
>
> But I frequently use mine for onions, tomato sauce, and all manner of
> "fragrant" foods. So It gets washed, and it hasn't suffered.
>
> Doris

The two skillets I have are 5 and 8 inches across. Space is at a premium here is why I don't have more or larger ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:18:35 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
>them out.
>
>I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
>that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
>washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
>away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).

Much like my main skillet
It's only when I use it for things like crumbed chicken or fish that I
need to wash it out, due to the residue left behind. Otherwise it just
gets some paper towel wiped over it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2014 11:24 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:13:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:24:20 PM UTC-10, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> Good article.

http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

>> I see no reason to use soap on a cast iron pan and that's the truth!

> The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
> heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.

I wash mine and scour all the time and I never heat and/or oil them
after washing them and after about 40 years of use they are all what I'd
call non-stick. they don't look as shiny as the ones in the article but
they still look clean even though lacking the oil slick shine..

The one interesting thing I found in that article was the mention of
Teflon. Having tried Teflon a few times, I decided that I really didn't
like end product that comes off Teflon cookware. I don't like the
texture/taste/mouth feel (or something or other) about the way that the
Teflon cooked. It just wasn't right to my way of thinking. I much
prefer my cast iron and I've not had any problems with food sticking to
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/11/2014 7:17 PM, wrote:

> Much like my main skillet

Why are you calling it a skillet instead of a fry pan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 19:56:35 +1100, Fran Farmer
> wrote:

>> Much like my main skillet

>Why are you calling it a skillet instead of a fry pan?

It's a regional thing:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skillet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/skillet

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:18:41 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > It certainly is an advantage but washing a pan without water is tough
>> > for me to get a handle on.

>> Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
>> them out.
>>
>> I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
>> that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
>> washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
>> away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).
>>

>> --

> I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with that
> but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6
> months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use. No
> matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome
> opinion anyway...

Absolutely! Everyone will do what works for them ... just as it should be

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 19:52:27 +1100, Fran Farmer
> wrote:

>The one interesting thing I found in that article was the mention of
>Teflon. Having tried Teflon a few times, I decided that I really didn't
>like end product that comes off Teflon cookware. I don't like the
>texture/taste/mouth feel (or something or other) about the way that the
>Teflon cooked. It just wasn't right to my way of thinking. I much
>prefer my cast iron and I've not had any problems with food sticking to
>it.

End result depends on two things, the quality of the Teflon pan and
the method of cooking. There have been many cheap, thin, poorly
heating pans that have a Teflon coating but just are not good for
cooking. The other factor, many foods can be cooked with no added fat
because they don't stick. They don't taste as good either.

Teflon cannot (should not) be heated as much as other pan so yo won't
get the same sear a metal pan can give. OTOH, you can still put
enough oil and heat it to the proper temperature that you can brown a
potato, or whatever.

To get good performance, you need a fairly thick pan so you get good
even heat. I've been using a Woll for a couple of years now. I do use
a cheaper small pan for frying an egg, but I always use butter too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:53:03 AM UTC-6, Fran Farmer wrote:

> I wash mine and scour all the time.

Why?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:27:09 PM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 11/9/2014 1:11 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
> >> them out.
> >>
> >> I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
> >> that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
> >> washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
> >> away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).
> >>

> >> --

> > I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with that but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6 months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use. No matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome opinion anyway...
> >

> One thing I've wondered about is whether cast iron cookware can supply a
> significant amount of iron to the diet. I've read that it can, and was a
> good source of iron for the pioneers in the 19th century. However, it
> sounds to me like the seasoning on a pan might interfere with this, and
> regardless, how much iron actually makes it's way into the food isn't
> obvious. I'd be interested to know what the truth is here.

I doubt that it supplies much iron. OTOH, if your diet is low in iron, it can't hurt. Cooking acidic foods will probably leach out of the pan the most usable dietary iron. My guess is that rust from pans supplies no iron at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:27:09 PM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 11/9/2014 1:11 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
> >> them out.
> >>
> >> I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
> >> that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
> >> washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
> >> away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).
> >>

> >> --

> > I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with that but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6 months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use. No matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome opinion anyway...
> >

> One thing I've wondered about is whether cast iron cookware can supply a
> significant amount of iron to the diet. I've read that it can, and was a
> good source of iron for the pioneers in the 19th century. However, it
> sounds to me like the seasoning on a pan might interfere with this, and
> regardless, how much iron actually makes it's way into the food isn't
> obvious. I'd be interested to know what the truth is here.

My guess is frying a steak or fish will not supply much iron while cooking a stew or acidic sauce could supply a good amount of iron to the diet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:29:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> >> Grin, you don't wash them. You heat them to kill anything then wipe
> >> them out.
> >>
> >> I hate to tell you but as a real southerner, I have one on my stove
> >> that hasn't been 'warshed' in 6 months. If I make something that needs
> >> washing, well the article is right on a fast soapy wash then dry right
> >> away (we'd rub some dripping fat on it).
> >>

> >> --

> > I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with that
> > but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6
> > months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use. No
> > matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome
> > opinion anyway...

> Absolutely! Everyone will do what works for them ... just as it should be
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

"Everybody gots to do their own thing!" was said by our drummer during a band practice. He said it in a rapid, jazzy, and hip way and and then whacked his high hat as emphasis. His timing was so perfect that I can still hear his words in my head over 40 years later. Thanks Buster!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> My guess is frying a steak or fish will not supply much iron while cooking a stew or acidic sauce could supply a good amount of iron to the diet.

I don't remember the details but I remember reading that iron is NOT
good for us older men. If you buy the One-A-Day vitamins for men over
50, they leave the iron out, or at least cut the amount way down. The
details are in the box but I don't have the box right now to check it
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 7:11:39 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > My guess is frying a steak or fish will not supply much iron while cooking a stew or acidic sauce could supply a good amount of iron to the diet.

> I don't remember the details but I remember reading that iron is NOT
> good for us older men. If you buy the One-A-Day vitamins for men over
> 50, they leave the iron out, or at least cut the amount way down. The
> details are in the box but I don't have the box right now to check it
> out.

That might be true. I've never heard of a guy that needed iron supplements.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:13:01 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > My guess is frying a steak or fish will not supply much iron while cooking a stew or acidic sauce could supply a good amount of iron to the diet.

> I don't remember the details but I remember reading that iron is NOT
> good for us older men. If you buy the One-A-Day vitamins for men over
> 50, they leave the iron out, or at least cut the amount way down. The
> details are in the box but I don't have the box right now to check it
> out.

Men only need 8mg of iron per day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:29:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I'm way more South than you are! You might be able to get away with
>> > that
>> > but I hardly ever use those pans. The last time I used it was over 6
>> > months ago. The pan gets washed with water before and after ever use.
>> > No
>> > matter, everybody gots to do their own thing! Well, that's my awesome
>> > opinion anyway...

>> Absolutely! Everyone will do what works for them ... just as it should
>> be
>>

> "Everybody gots to do their own thing!" was said by our drummer during a
> band practice. He said it in a rapid, jazzy, and hip way and and then
> whacked his high hat as emphasis. His timing was so perfect that I can
> still hear his words in my head over 40 years later. Thanks Buster!

<g> it's not as though it is as bad memory)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:13:01 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > My guess is frying a steak or fish will not supply much iron while cooking a stew or acidic sauce could supply a good amount of iron to the diet.

> > I don't remember the details but I remember reading that iron is NOT
> > good for us older men. If you buy the One-A-Day vitamins for men over
> > 50, they leave the iron out, or at least cut the amount way down. The
> > details are in the box but I don't have the box right now to check it
> > out.

> Men only need 8mg of iron per day.

But evidently not OLDER men. I'm looking at the back of my One-A-Day
bottle for men over 50 and on the back of the bottle, it says this.

Iron:
O mg per serving
0% daily value

I seem to remember that iron in us older guys can lead to heart
attacks. Something bad like that. So oneaday does NOT have iron in it
for old men. Damm! I'm old! oh man!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 13:34:29 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > I don't remember the details but I remember reading that iron is NOT
> > > good for us older men. If you buy the One-A-Day vitamins for men over
> > > 50, they leave the iron out, or at least cut the amount way down. The
> > > details are in the box but I don't have the box right now to check it
> > > out.

> > Men only need 8mg of iron per day.

> But evidently not OLDER men. I'm looking at the back of my One-A-Day
> bottle for men over 50 and on the back of the bottle, it says this.
>
> Iron:
> O mg per serving
> 0% daily value
>
> I seem to remember that iron in us older guys can lead to heart
> attacks. Something bad like that. So oneaday does NOT have iron in it
> for old men. Damm! I'm old! oh man!

You don't need iron supplements now - never did. Only women need iron
supplements - before menopause. After menopause, their iron
requirement is the same as men.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/11/2014 11:34 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:

>>> I don't remember the details but I remember reading that iron is NOT
>>> good for us older men. If you buy the One-A-Day vitamins for men over
>>> 50, they leave the iron out, or at least cut the amount way down. The
>>> details are in the box but I don't have the box right now to check it
>>> out.

>> Men only need 8mg of iron per day.

> But evidently not OLDER men. I'm looking at the back of my One-A-Day
> bottle for men over 50 and on the back of the bottle, it says this.
>
> Iron:
> O mg per serving
> 0% daily value
>
> I seem to remember that iron in us older guys can lead to heart
> attacks. Something bad like that. So oneaday does NOT have iron in it
> for old men. Damm! I'm old! oh man!
>
> G.

Hmmmm! So what is SF feeding her hubbie? {:-)
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 08:03:09 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

snip

>End result depends on two things, the quality of the Teflon pan and
>the method of cooking. There have been many cheap, thin, poorly
>heating pans that have a Teflon coating but just are not good for
>cooking. The other factor, many foods can be cooked with no added fat
>because they don't stick. They don't taste as good either.
>
>Teflon cannot (should not) be heated as much as other pan so yo won't
>get the same sear a metal pan can give. OTOH, you can still put
>enough oil and heat it to the proper temperature that you can brown a
>potato, or whatever.
>
>To get good performance, you need a fairly thick pan so you get good
>even heat. I've been using a Woll for a couple of years now. I do use
>a cheaper small pan for frying an egg, but I always use butter too.

I agree with you, Ed.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-t...cast-iron.html

>>> The other reason I am not willing to change is that I don't have to
>>> heat the pan afterwards and oil, far less trouble.
>>>

>>I wash mine and scour all the time and I never heat and/or oil them
>>after washing them and after about 40 years of use they are all what I'd
>>call non-stick. they don't look as shiny as the ones in the article but
>>they still look clean even though lacking the oil slick shine..
>>
>>The one interesting thing I found in that article was the mention of
>>Teflon. Having tried Teflon a few times, I decided that I really didn't
>>like end product that comes off Teflon cookware. I don't like the
>>texture/taste/mouth feel (or something or other) about the way that the
>>Teflon cooked. It just wasn't right to my way of thinking. I much
>>prefer my cast iron and I've not had any problems with food sticking to
>>it.

>I see he referred to cooking eggs in a Teflon pan which is exactly
>what I loathe about Teflon, they don't stick, they just develop a sort
>of 'skin' on the egg which I don't like, so I don't have a Teflon pan.

I tend to agree, there's something not quite right about food cooked
in a teflon pan. I thought I was the only one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 19:56:35 +1100, Fran Farmer
> wrote:

>On 9/11/2014 7:17 PM, wrote:
>
>> Much like my main skillet

>Why are you calling it a skillet instead of a fry pan?

No particular reason <shrug>.

Cast Iron Pans sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 07-12-2014 03:32 PM
Cast iron pans DreadfulBitch General Cooking 69 10-02-2014 06:13 AM
Storing Cast Iron Pans Stuart Pedazzo General Cooking 4 14-07-2006 03:15 AM
Restoring cast iron pans Kswck General Cooking 8 14-07-2004 12:25 PM
Cast Iron Pans? bulka General Cooking 4 15-10-2003 06:35 PM