Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default DIY sausage for stuffing?

I like to make sausage stuffing for the turkey, but I'm not impressed
by Jimmy Dean, which is the only brand available here. (I miss Bob Evans,
and Tennessee Pride.)

Pork butt is on sale, so I was toying with the idea of grinding it up
and adding my own herbs and spices. Does anyone make their own breakfast
sausage this way? How about a good recipe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I like to make sausage stuffing for the turkey, but I'm not impressed
> by Jimmy Dean, which is the only brand available here. (I miss Bob Evans,
> and Tennessee Pride.)
>
> Pork butt is on sale, so I was toying with the idea of grinding it up
> and adding my own herbs and spices. Does anyone make their own breakfast
> sausage this way? How about a good recipe?

I do that too, but apart from seasoning, I often use apples and occasionally
onions.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2014 10:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I just use Jimmy Dead Sage.

For your NAMBLA pot luck?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2014 1:41 PM, queso blanco wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 10:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> I just use Jimmy Dead Sage.

> For your NAMBLA pot luck?

A form of stuffing that I like a lot is made with chestnuts and sausage;
regular Jimmy Dean works well but it is best cooked well before mixing
with the chestnuts and drained of as much grease as possible.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>spamtrap1888wrote:
>
>> I like to make sausage stuffing for the turkey, but I'm not impressed
>> by Jimmy Dean, which is the only brand available here. (I miss Bob Evans,
>> and Tennessee Pride.)
>>
>> Pork butt is on sale, so I was toying with the idea of grinding it up
>> and adding my own herbs and spices. Does anyone make their own breakfast
>> sausage this way? How about a good recipe?

Since it's not cured I don't follow a recipe for fresh sausage, and I
mostly make bulk style or pattys... but there are plenty of sausage
recipes on the net... just use one as a general guide, add what you
like as if it was meat loaf.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/Recipes.aspx
http://www.alliedkenco.com/search.as...akfast+sausage

>You want to use breakfast sausage in dressing?

Sagey breakfast sausage is what's mostly used for poultry stuffing.