Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Most People Still Use CRT TV's

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 10/29/2014 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed
>> to see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>> noticed any CRT tvs.

> You would have noticed mine. For a not-especially large screen
> tv, it was so bulky and heavy I couldn't wait for it to die to
> get rid of it. No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.
> We got it to the recycle yard and it went into the bin with dozens
> of other bulky tvs of its kind.
>
> I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
> still going strong, though, so I'm good.
>
> No, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a flat screen.

I didn't think you were ;-) We don't like big screens. My CRT tv is 21".
It is about 25 years old and still going strong)
(what is the betting it will die now) When we do have to upgrade, I doubt
we will get anything bigger than we have now.
Oh we have a very small flat screen at the caravan - around 17".

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:33:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed
>> see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>> noticed any CRT tvs.

> Remember in the 50s & 60s when cars were longer, lower, wider? Flat
> screen TVs are thinner, bigger, brighter... and often cooler too.

Yes, I know, but I will only care when this one dies) We won't watch much
tv anyway so we are not interested in a big one.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 12:46 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
>> still going strong, though, so I'm good.
>>
>> No, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a flat screen.

> I didn't think you were ;-) We don't like big screens. My CRT tv is
> 21".
> It is about 25 years old and still going strong)
> (what is the betting it will die now)

That was a call to the jinx gods right there. Heh.

> When we do have to upgrade, I doubt
> we will get anything bigger than we have now.

The way flat screens are configured, you get the same
size tv you have now, it will be small. My mother did that,
she bought herself a new tv. She's the tiniest thing, 4'11"
maybe, under 80 pounds. Well, the tv she thought replaced her
old one was really small, but she could carry it by herself.
Funny. My brother took her to return it for a tv you could
actually see.

I bet she could have carried that one, too.

> Oh we have a very small flat screen at the caravan - around 17".

Perfect use for that size.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Everybody who is anybody has abandoned their CRT TV's and monitors in
>>> favor of a flat screen. Especially now that flat screens are cheaper
>>> then CRT's ever were.
>>>
>>> In 2010, the most recent data I can find, over 58% of households use
>>> flat screen TVs as their primary TV's while only 21% were CRT's (and
>>> another 21% didn't know or had projection TV's). Here it is almost 5
>>> years later - do you really think people ditched their flat screens
>>> and went out and bought obsolete, used CRT TV's?
>>>
>>> http://www.retrevo.com/content/blog/...love-affair-tv
>>>

>> This back in April shows 46% still have CRTs
>> http://www.ce.org/Blog/Articles/2014...-Still-Ha.aspx

>Ours is still a CRT It annoys the heck out of the kids ;-)
>
>When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed to
>see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>noticed any CRT tvs.

Flat panel TVs have a much shorter life span, somewhere in the set's
literature is listed how many hours of use is expected, like light
bulbs they go without warning. CRTs last about ten times longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:30 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 10/29/2014 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed
>> to see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>> noticed any CRT tvs.

>You would have noticed mine. For a not-especially large screen
>tv, it was so bulky and heavy I couldn't wait for it to die to
>get rid of it. No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.
>We got it to the recycle yard and it went into the bin with dozens
>of other bulky tvs of its kind.
>
>I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
>still going strong, though, so I'm good.
>
>No, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a flat screen.
>
>nancy

I think you mean flat *panel* TV. Flat screen TV is a CRT but without
the older style curved screen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote:

>>> This back in April shows 46% still have CRTs
>>> http://www.ce.org/Blog/Articles/2014...-Still-Ha.aspx

>>Ours is still a CRT It annoys the heck out of the kids ;-)
>>
>>When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed to
>>see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>>noticed any CRT tvs.

> Flat panel TVs have a much shorter life span, somewhere in the set's
> literature is listed how many hours of use is expected, like light
> bulbs they go without warning. CRTs last about ten times longer.

Good grief! I never knew that!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 10/29/2014 12:46 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
>>> still going strong, though, so I'm good.
>>>
>>> No, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a flat screen.

>> I didn't think you were ;-) We don't like big screens. My CRT tv is
>> 21".
>> It is about 25 years old and still going strong)
>> (what is the betting it will die now)

> That was a call to the jinx gods right there. Heh.

Yers. I thought of that as soon as I had written it ... Well if it
happens I shall be back grumbling about it!!!

>> When we do have to upgrade, I doubt
>> we will get anything bigger than we have now.

> The way flat screens are configured, you get the same
> size tv you have now, it will be small. My mother did that,
> she bought herself a new tv. She's the tiniest thing, 4'11"
> maybe, under 80 pounds. Well, the tv she thought replaced her
> old one was really small, but she could carry it by herself.
> Funny. My brother took her to return it for a tv you could
> actually see.

So long as she is happy)

> I bet she could have carried that one, too.
>
>> Oh we have a very small flat screen at the caravan - around 17".

> Perfect use for that size.

Yes)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:30 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>>On 10/29/2014 7:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed
>>> to see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>>> noticed any CRT tvs.

>>You would have noticed mine. For a not-especially large screen
>>tv, it was so bulky and heavy I couldn't wait for it to die to
>>get rid of it. No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.
>>We got it to the recycle yard and it went into the bin with dozens
>>of other bulky tvs of its kind.
>>
>>I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
>>still going strong, though, so I'm good.
>>
>>No, I'm not trying to convince anyone to get a flat screen.
>>
>>nancy

> I think you mean flat *panel* TV. Flat screen TV is a CRT but without
> the older style curved screen.

*I* knew what she meant!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:30 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.

> You can even give them away on Freecycle or Craigslist. 4-5 years ago
> you used to see them out on the curbs on bulk trash day, but haven't
> seen one out there for the last 2-3 pickups. I think they've finally
> been eliminated.

Every now and then I see someone has put an old tv at the curb.
Gee, my town hasn't picked up electronics since, oh, A DECADE at least?
So they sit there until people figure out you have to drop them
off. Which is not so easy, those suckers are heavy. Maybe bulky
is a better word. My tv was deeper than the size of the screen, if
that makes any sense. A Sony 25 inch, I think.

> They can be quite spectacular when you throw a brick through the
> screen. There's quite a bit of energy stored in those unplugged
> tubes.

Sounds like a mess but it's probably amusing.

>> I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
>> still going strong, though, so I'm good.

> I didn't start buying flat screens until 5 years ago. Now I have 3 of
> them. A friend has one of my old 25" CRT TV's in his garage and I
> can't believe how sucky the picture is once you're used to view HD
> TV's.

Once I got used to the different aspect (wrong word?) of the
picture, and the HD, there's no going back.

Not that I could. Imagine trying to buy a new CRT tv?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:13:30 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:30 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.

> > You can even give them away on Freecycle or Craigslist. 4-5 years ago
> > you used to see them out on the curbs on bulk trash day, but haven't
> > seen one out there for the last 2-3 pickups. I think they've finally
> > been eliminated.

> Every now and then I see someone has put an old tv at the curb.
> Gee, my town hasn't picked up electronics since, oh, A DECADE at least?
> So they sit there until people figure out you have to drop them
> off. Which is not so easy, those suckers are heavy. Maybe bulky
> is a better word. My tv was deeper than the size of the screen, if
> that makes any sense. A Sony 25 inch, I think.
>
> > They can be quite spectacular when you throw a brick through the
> > screen. There's quite a bit of energy stored in those unplugged
> > tubes.

> Sounds like a mess but it's probably amusing.
>
> >> I'm fine with replacing my new flat screen every so often, mine's
> >> still going strong, though, so I'm good.

> > I didn't start buying flat screens until 5 years ago. Now I have 3 of
> > them. A friend has one of my old 25" CRT TV's in his garage and I
> > can't believe how sucky the picture is once you're used to view HD
> > TV's.

> Once I got used to the different aspect (wrong word?) of the
> picture, and the HD, there's no going back.

You're half right about the aspect ratio. For TV and film, that's the width of the screen divided by the height. The old CRTs had an aspect ration of 4:3. Movies shot before the 50s would fit in nicely on old TVs. "Gone with the Wind" was shot in that format and fits in great on a 4:3 screen. Movies made during the 50s and after went to a wider format in response to the TV threat i.e., the picture was made so it wouldn't fit on a TV. After a lag of 60 or so years, HD TVs are finally able to fit a motion picture er... picture. Praise the Lord!

> Not that I could. Imagine trying to buy a new CRT tv?
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:33:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> When we take something down to the recycling centre, I am always amazed
>>> see the numbers of flat screen tvs which have been dumped! I haven't
>>> noticed any CRT tvs.

>> Remember in the 50s & 60s when cars were longer, lower, wider? Flat
>> screen TVs are thinner, bigger, brighter... and often cooler too.

> Yes, I know, but I will only care when this one dies) We won't watch
> much
> tv anyway so we are not interested in a big one.

I don't even like big ones. The first I saw was in a sandwich shop that
also sold beer and wine. It seemed fine in there because if you wanted to,
you could sit across the room and watch the game. But then people started
putting them in their tiny homes. I can remember watching Star Trek on one.
The screen was so big and I was sitting so close because the room was so
small. I couldn't see the person's entire body. Just an eye or an arm or
wherever on the screen my eye was looking. Wasn't pleasant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:30:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:33:34 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> Remember in the 50s & 60s when cars were longer, lower, wider? Flat
>>> screen TVs are thinner, bigger, brighter... and often cooler too.

>> Yes, I know, but I will only care when this one dies) We won't watch
>> much
>> tv anyway so we are not interested in a big one.

>I don't even like big ones.

That's because you think they'd hurt... truth is they'd hurt so good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:40:19 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:30 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.

>> You can even give them away on Freecycle or Craigslist.

> You CAN'T even give them away...
>
> -sw

they give you a few cents a pound hereabouts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 6:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:40:19 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:02:30 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> No one would even take a working CRT tv for free.

>> You can even give them away on Freecycle or Craigslist.

> You CAN'T even give them away...

I read it a second time but I got you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/28/2014 10:28 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> I see CRTs all the time. They still work fine and many people see no
> reason to upgrade an appliance until it breaks. They can all receive
> digital TV with a converter box, or if they are hooked to a PVR or other
> gadget.

If you are happy with them, that is all that matters. The new HD flat
screens are a much better picture, but the content of the programs is
still the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 5:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:13:30 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Once I got used to the different aspect (wrong word?) of the
>> picture, and the HD, there's no going back.

> You're half right about the aspect ratio. For TV and film, that's the
> width of the screen divided by the height.

Ah! Thank you. Aspect ratio.

>The old CRTs had an aspect
>ration of 4:3. Movies shot before the 50s would fit in nicely on old TVs.
> "Gone with the Wind" was shot in that format and fits in great on a 4:3
>screen. Movies made during the 50s and after went to a wider format in
>response to the TV threat i.e., the picture was made so it wouldn't fit
> on a TV.

Interesting!

Before I got this tv, I was a little worried I'd be looking at a
lot of stretched out content that wasn't made for wide screens.
Distorted people. I can see old stuff on SD channels, of course.

> After a lag of 60 or so years, HD TVs are finally able to fit a
> motion picture er... picture. Praise the Lord!

(laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>> Flat panel TVs have a much shorter life span, somewhere in the set's
>> literature is listed how many hours of use is expected, like light
>> bulbs they go without warning. CRTs last about ten times longer.

>Good grief! I never knew that!

Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 11:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Flat panel TVs have a much shorter life span, somewhere in the set's
>>> literature is listed how many hours of use is expected, like light
>>> bulbs they go without warning. CRTs last about ten times longer.

>> Good grief! I never knew that!

> Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
> day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
> long time.

Funny thing is, I had a CRT go just like that, no warning. Went
downstairs to throw in a load of laundry, came back upstairs, my
tv was dead, never to return. On my birthday.

The tv before that, the picture would shrink top to bottom and
would be corrected by me giving it a good whack. I lived with
that for a while, it would have been better if it just died.

So that was two CRTs that didn't last for decades, and I worked
at the time so they weren't on all that much.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/28/2014 10:28 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>

>> I see CRTs all the time. They still work fine and many people see no
>> reason to upgrade an appliance until it breaks. They can all receive
>> digital TV with a converter box, or if they are hooked to a PVR or other
>> gadget.
>>

> If you are happy with them, that is all that matters. The new HD flat
> screens are a much better picture, but the content of the programs is
> still the same.

I don't care much about the picture quality. I mostly have the TV on as
background noise. I do glance at it once in a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 10/29/2014 11:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Good grief! I never knew that!

>> Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>> day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>> long time.

> Funny thing is, I had a CRT go just like that, no warning. Went
> downstairs to throw in a load of laundry, came back upstairs, my
> tv was dead, never to return. On my birthday.
>
> The tv before that, the picture would shrink top to bottom and
> would be corrected by me giving it a good whack. I lived with
> that for a while, it would have been better if it just died.
>
> So that was two CRTs that didn't last for decades, and I worked
> at the time so they weren't on all that much.
>
> nancy

Our old one went all green. It was like black and white but only in shades
of green. Husband and daughter were watching it like that and seemed to
have no problems with it. I was like.... Uh uh. I set up my old little
one. Then everyone but me had issues with that one. My dad bought us a new
one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 2:31 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 5:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:13:30 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Once I got used to the different aspect (wrong word?) of the
>>> picture, and the HD, there's no going back.

>> You're half right about the aspect ratio. For TV and film, that's the
> > width of the screen divided by the height.

> Ah! Thank you. Aspect ratio.
>
>> The old CRTs had an aspect
> >ration of 4:3. Movies shot before the 50s would fit in nicely on old TVs.
> > "Gone with the Wind" was shot in that format and fits in great on a 4:3
> >screen. Movies made during the 50s and after went to a wider format in
> >response to the TV threat i.e., the picture was made so it wouldn't fit
> > on a TV.

> Interesting!
>
> Before I got this tv, I was a little worried I'd be looking at a
> lot of stretched out content that wasn't made for wide screens.
> Distorted people. I can see old stuff on SD channels, of course.

Mostly, that was a transition period. These days, most TV programming
fits the 16:9 aspect ratio of sets just fine. I hated all those
stretched out pictures. Oddly enough, a lot of people didn't seem to mind.

>> After a lag of 60 or so years, HD TVs are finally able to fit a
> > motion picture er... picture. Praise the Lord!

> (laugh)
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Flat panel TVs have a much shorter life span, somewhere in the set's
>>> literature is listed how many hours of use is expected, like light
>>> bulbs they go without warning. CRTs last about ten times longer.

>>Good grief! I never knew that!

> Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
> day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
> long time.

Phew thanks, Ed)) I wonder then what the problem was with the ones in the
bin at the recycling unit.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/28/2014 10:28 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>

>> I see CRTs all the time. They still work fine and many people see no
>> reason to upgrade an appliance until it breaks. They can all receive
>> digital TV with a converter box, or if they are hooked to a PVR or other
>> gadget.
>>

> If you are happy with them, that is all that matters. The new HD flat
> screens are a much better picture, but the content of the programs is
> still the same.

Our CRT tv is hooked up to cable. It works just fine)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:57:24 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> >>Good grief! I never knew that!

> > Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
> > day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
> > long time.

> Phew thanks, Ed)) I wonder then what the problem was with the ones in the
> bin at the recycling unit.

They were replaced by a newer model. People change automobiles before
the old one becomes unusable, so why not televisions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:07:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

>>> Flat panel TVs have a much shorter life span, somewhere in the set's
>>> literature is listed how many hours of use is expected, like light
>>> bulbs they go without warning. CRTs last about ten times longer.

>>Good grief! I never knew that!

>Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>long time.

I think most TVs are on a lot longer than 6 hours a day, most people
leave them on even when they leave home, like a security thing, so
people coming to the door and hearing/seeing the tv will think someone
is home. When I look at my neighbor's houses in the wee hours I can
see the tv on through their living room window. I leave the one in my
office on about 16 hours every day, from the time I wake up at 5:30 AM
until I go to bed after 11:00 PM. I'm on my 2nd one, my 1st one
lasted about six years and burned out... this one has been going more
than three years, it should last like ten years. Their life span has
improved since I first looked in 2003, and so has the price... I
wasn't going to spend Ten Gs on any TV.
http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...-lifespan.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:07:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>>Good grief! I never knew that!

>>Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>>day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>>long time.

> I think most TVs are on a lot longer than 6 hours a day, most people
> leave them on even when they leave home, like a security thing, so
> people coming to the door and hearing/seeing the tv will think someone
> is home. When I look at my neighbor's houses in the wee hours I can
> see the tv on through their living room window. I leave the one in my
> office on about 16 hours every day, from the time I wake up at 5:30 AM
> until I go to bed after 11:00 PM. I'm on my 2nd one, my 1st one
> lasted about six years and burned out... this one has been going more
> than three years, it should last like ten years. Their life span has
> improved since I first looked in 2003, and so has the price... I
> wasn't going to spend Ten Gs on any TV.
> http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...-lifespan.html

Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as soon
as that is over, it is switched off again.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:57:24 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>> > day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>> > long time.

>> Phew thanks, Ed)) I wonder then what the problem was with the ones in
>> the
>> bin at the recycling unit.

> They were replaced by a newer model. People change automobiles before
> the old one becomes unusable, so why not televisions.

I guess ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:20:43 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 10/29/2014 11:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Good grief! I never knew that!

>> Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>> day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>> long time.

>Funny thing is, I had a CRT go just like that, no warning. Went
>downstairs to throw in a load of laundry, came back upstairs, my
>tv was dead, never to return. On my birthday.
>
>The tv before that, the picture would shrink top to bottom and
>would be corrected by me giving it a good whack. I lived with
>that for a while, it would have been better if it just died.
>
>So that was two CRTs that didn't last for decades, and I worked
>at the time so they weren't on all that much.
>
>nancy

Turning a tv on and off several times a day shortens its life more
than just leaving it on all day... same with light bulbs. The 26"
HDTV in my office is rated at 43 Watts, costs only pennies an hour to
run... leaving it plugged in puts it on stand-by, uses less than 1
Watt. A lot of people unplug their electronics thinking they'll save
money, but they lose a lot more in shorter life spans... and what does
saving maybe 5 Watts a day save in dollars? Also everytime a tv is
plugged/unplugged ther's an arc created that can cause a damaging
spike to components. With pricy electronics it's wise to use a
battery back up, the new APCs modulate voltage so there are no spikes
to the electronics regardless what your power company delivers. I use
this for my pc and tv... pc monitor and printer are protected too:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Ba.../dp/B0038ZTZ3W
In conjuction I use an APC Surge Arrest:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Outlet-340...c+surge+arrest

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:07:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>>Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>>>day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>>>long time.

>> I think most TVs are on a lot longer than 6 hours a day, most people
>> leave them on even when they leave home, like a security thing, so
>> people coming to the door and hearing/seeing the tv will think someone
>> is home. When I look at my neighbor's houses in the wee hours I can
>> see the tv on through their living room window. I leave the one in my
>> office on about 16 hours every day, from the time I wake up at 5:30 AM
>> until I go to bed after 11:00 PM. I'm on my 2nd one, my 1st one
>> lasted about six years and burned out... this one has been going more
>> than three years, it should last like ten years. Their life span has
>> improved since I first looked in 2003, and so has the price... I
>> wasn't going to spend Ten Gs on any TV.
>> http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...-lifespan.html

> Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as
> soon as that is over, it is switched off again.

One or the other of mine are always on. I like to listen to the news
channels while doing other things, or sometimes listening to shows that I've
DVR'd. Once I have the general idea, I can listen to something like Criminal
Minds etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2014 12:36 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as
> soon as that is over, it is switched off again.

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>> Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as
>> soon as that is over, it is switched off again.

> One or the other of mine are always on. I like to listen to the news
> channels while doing other things, or sometimes listening to shows that
> I've DVR'd. Once I have the general idea, I can listen to something like
> Criminal Minds etc.

I use radio for that when I am working in the kitchen, but that is the only
place.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2014 4:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>
>>> Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then
>>> as soon as that is over, it is switched off again.

>> One or the other of mine are always on. I like to listen to the news
>> channels while doing other things, or sometimes listening to shows
>> that I've DVR'd. Once I have the general idea, I can listen to
>> something like Criminal Minds etc.

> I use radio for that when I am working in the kitchen, but that is the
> only place.

There isn't any decent radio stations here. Either Hard Rock,
Country or Religious and those are the few English stations. The rest
are in Spanish.

I listen to XM radio on the TV via Dish satellite.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>>Good grief! I never knew that!

>> Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>> day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>> long time.

> Phew thanks, Ed)) I wonder then what the problem was with the ones in
> the bin at the recycling unit.

Maybe they broke the screen with their Wi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:57:24 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Phew thanks, Ed)) I wonder then what the problem was with the ones in
>>> the
>>> bin at the recycling unit.

>> They were replaced by a newer model. People change automobiles before
>> the old one becomes unusable, so why not televisions.

> I guess ...

That makes no sense to me. Usually if something is still usable, the person
would sell it or give it away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...

>>> One or the other of mine are always on. I like to listen to the news
>>> channels while doing other things, or sometimes listening to shows
>>> that I've DVR'd. Once I have the general idea, I can listen to
>>> something like Criminal Minds etc.

>> I use radio for that when I am working in the kitchen, but that is the
>> only place.
>>

> There isn't any decent radio stations here. Either Hard Rock,
> Country or Religious and those are the few English stations. The rest are
> in Spanish.

Oh I always listen to Radio 4 which has a variety of interesting stuff
including news, plays, women's hour etc.

I only listen in the kitchen or the car when I am travelling.

> I listen to XM radio on the TV via Dish satellite.

I am not too sure but I seem to remember Lucretia telling me she can tune
in?? Lucretia? Do I have that right?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:07:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>>Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>>>day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>>>long time.

>> I think most TVs are on a lot longer than 6 hours a day, most people
>> leave them on even when they leave home, like a security thing, so
>> people coming to the door and hearing/seeing the tv will think someone
>> is home. When I look at my neighbor's houses in the wee hours I can
>> see the tv on through their living room window. I leave the one in my
>> office on about 16 hours every day, from the time I wake up at 5:30 AM
>> until I go to bed after 11:00 PM. I'm on my 2nd one, my 1st one
>> lasted about six years and burned out... this one has been going more
>> than three years, it should last like ten years. Their life span has
>> improved since I first looked in 2003, and so has the price... I
>> wasn't going to spend Ten Gs on any TV.
>> http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...-lifespan.html

> Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as
> soon as that is over, it is switched off again.

My husband tends to leave his on, always. Mine is often on from the time I
get up until Angela leaves for school. I will leave it on if I am leaving
the house briefly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:04:46 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:20:43 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> >On 10/29/2014 11:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:49:21 -0000, "Ophelia"

> >> Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
> >> day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
> >> long time.

> >Funny thing is, I had a CRT go just like that, no warning. Went
> >downstairs to throw in a load of laundry, came back upstairs, my
> >tv was dead, never to return. On my birthday.
> >
> >The tv before that, the picture would shrink top to bottom and
> >would be corrected by me giving it a good whack. I lived with
> >that for a while, it would have been better if it just died.
> >
> >So that was two CRTs that didn't last for decades, and I worked
> >at the time so they weren't on all that much.
> >
> >nancy

> Turning a tv on and off several times a day shortens its life more
> than just leaving it on all day... same with light bulbs. The 26"
> HDTV in my office is rated at 43 Watts, costs only pennies an hour to
> run... leaving it plugged in puts it on stand-by, uses less than 1
> Watt. A lot of people unplug their electronics thinking they'll save
> money, but they lose a lot more in shorter life spans... and what does
> saving maybe 5 Watts a day save in dollars? Also everytime a tv is
> plugged/unplugged ther's an arc created that can cause a damaging
> spike to components. With pricy electronics it's wise to use a
> battery back up, the new APCs modulate voltage so there are no spikes
> to the electronics regardless what your power company delivers. I use
> this for my pc and tv... pc monitor and printer are protected too:
> http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Ba.../dp/B0038ZTZ3W
> In conjuction I use an APC Surge Arrest:
> http://www.amazon.com/APC-Outlet-340...c+surge+arrest

And very likely wear suspenders, a belt, elastic and safety pins to hold up your pants as well. One can never be too safe.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:01:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>
> >> Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as
> >> soon as that is over, it is switched off again.

> > One or the other of mine are always on. I like to listen to the news
> > channels while doing other things, or sometimes listening to shows that
> > I've DVR'd. Once I have the general idea, I can listen to something like
> > Criminal Minds etc.

> I use radio for that when I am working in the kitchen, but that is the only
> place.

My kitchen TV is always on when I'm in there. Not so much in other
rooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:36:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:07:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>>Not to worry. The new LED TVs can last 100,000 hours. At 6 hours a
>>>day that is over 40 years. If it lasts half that it is still a good
>>>long time.

>> I think most TVs are on a lot longer than 6 hours a day, most people
>> leave them on even when they leave home, like a security thing, so
>> people coming to the door and hearing/seeing the tv will think someone
>> is home. When I look at my neighbor's houses in the wee hours I can
>> see the tv on through their living room window. I leave the one in my
>> office on about 16 hours every day, from the time I wake up at 5:30 AM
>> until I go to bed after 11:00 PM. I'm on my 2nd one, my 1st one
>> lasted about six years and burned out... this one has been going more
>> than three years, it should last like ten years. Their life span has
>> improved since I first looked in 2003, and so has the price... I
>> wasn't going to spend Ten Gs on any TV.
>> http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...-lifespan.html

>Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as soon
>as that is over, it is switched off again.

But what about your dog... my cats enjoy tv, and with the tv on when
I'm not home they don't feel so lonely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:36:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I think most TVs are on a lot longer than 6 hours a day, most people
>>> leave them on even when they leave home, like a security thing, so
>>> people coming to the door and hearing/seeing the tv will think someone
>>> is home. When I look at my neighbor's houses in the wee hours I can
>>> see the tv on through their living room window. I leave the one in my
>>> office on about 16 hours every day, from the time I wake up at 5:30 AM
>>> until I go to bed after 11:00 PM. I'm on my 2nd one, my 1st one
>>> lasted about six years and burned out... this one has been going more
>>> than three years, it should last like ten years. Their life span has
>>> improved since I first looked in 2003, and so has the price... I
>>> wasn't going to spend Ten Gs on any TV.
>>> http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...-lifespan.html

>>Our tv is switched on when there is something we want to watch, then as
>>soon
>>as that is over, it is switched off again.

> But what about your dog... my cats enjoy tv, and with the tv on when
> I'm not home they don't feel so lonely.

My dog is never home alone.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The docking tool worked! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 24 12-11-2014 08:08 PM
the best crackers! Peter Lucas General Cooking 2 16-10-2010 11:24 PM
Ritz crackers cory! General Cooking 91 18-03-2010 06:32 AM
(3D) Animal crackers! ChattyCathy General Cooking 0 27-05-2009 05:44 PM
Herbed Crackers Andy & Shell Recipes (moderated) 0 26-11-2003 04:11 PM