Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Member

Default Ritz crackers

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
-cory

Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cory! wrote:

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide
if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner
party Im throwing for a friend's engagement- don't know her
family. Help!

(Am I supposed to not answer this due to the foodbanter thing?)

There are better crackers in the world. Late July "Classic Rich"
crackers are designed to resemble Ritz crackers but are (in my opinion)
much much better.

Steve
Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message ...
| cory! wrote:
|
| What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide
| if there ok for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner
| party Im throwing for a friend's engagement- don't know her
| family. Help!
|
| (Am I supposed to not answer this due to the foodbanter thing?)
|
| There are better crackers in the world. Late July "Classic Rich"
| crackers are designed to resemble Ritz crackers but are (in my opinion)
| much much better.

You are right, but I view Ritz as a classic such as saltines, Vermont
common biscuits, Uneeda biscuits, oyster crackers and the like.
They have been part of our culture and life for generations and have
a distinct place in appetizers and snacking. I can't imagine my
mother's egg salad topped with a caper-stuffed rolled anchovy on
anything but a Ritz cracker. They are unique and really don't
deserve to be tossed on the waste-pile of humanity, even though
there are some better crackers on the market. Of course there are,
but don't let the Ritz become forgotten. Please, cory! and Steve,
add a few real Ritz to the layout.

pavane

Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-01, cory! wrote:

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!

They carry no cachet on the stiff neck circuit, but ppl still like
'em. Any variation of pineapple and cream cheese and a some smokey
pork tidbit are a natural, regardless of how gauche.

nb
Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
cory! wrote:

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
-cory

I like Ritz Crackers, but as with anything involving food, it is purely
a matter of personal taste.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...
| On 2010-03-01, cory! wrote:
|
| What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
| for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
| a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
|
| They carry no cachet on the stiff neck circuit, but ppl still like
| 'em. Any variation of pineapple and cream cheese and a some smokey
| pork tidbit are a natural, regardless of how gauche.

.... and cream cheese with inexpensive caviar, or smoked salmon,
or any smoked cheese along with the smokey pork tidbits. Or a swirl
of peanut butter with a topping of a touch of honey, or even a thin
coating of butter with Vegemite on top. Or the South's infamous
pimiento cheese spread. Or a canned sardine with a squirt of lemon
juice and a touch of Tabasco. I guess I need to go buy some...

pavane

Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cory!" wrote in message

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
-cory

I personally, me, love Ritz crackers. Isn't their slogan "Everything tastes
great on a Ritz"? It is a standard cracker with a pleasant taste. I'd use
it. Maybe even see if they make low sodium ones.

Steve

Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
cory! wrote:

What do you guys think of ritz crackers? Im trying to decide if there ok
for me to use as part of an appetizer for a dinner party Im throwing for
a friend's engagement- don't know her family. Help!
-cory

They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
those things.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

Om wrote about Ritz crackers:

They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
those things.

That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)

What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
season.)

Bob

Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

Why not from Europe??? That could encompass a lot of things..like the
Danish stuff.. And Russian Zakuski.. I think I am spelling that
right.

I've already *got* twelve appetizers planned; I don't think I need to double
that! Large as my pantry is, I don't want to go out hunting for Danish and
Russian ingredients, also.

Bob

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

Wow..you must be planning quite the appetizer table!!!

I'm still open to suggestions; that's why I started this thread!

May I invite myself to this shinding? ))

Depends. When are you available? :-)

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 10:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out
of season.)

How about kefta or msemen? Or were you thinking of keeping it more
along the Italian and Greek lines? I love stuffed vine leaves. Or maybe
slow-roast tomato and feta on bruschetta... like dakos, only not
salady and with roasted tomatoes. Or roasted aubergine dip, which it
nicer than it sounds. Um.. Hmm. In summer, I do grilled haloumi (if
you slice it very thin, it can almost go crispy and be its own cracker)
with something slightly tangy or fresh to cut the salt. I normally use
watermelon or crème fraîche with chives or something, but blood orange
sliced very thin may be quite nice. Or pomegranate seeds. I think it
might need something bright green to go with if one goes that way...
maybe some rocket or a bit of fresh sorrel.

That's what comes to mind, anyway! Sounds like a great party! Hope you
have lots of fun.

-Jen
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

What do you have planned already? Give us some ideas of what is in your
head?

I don't want to go into specifics, because one of the guests loves
surprises, and this forum is not all that secret, what with foodbanter, that
cycling website, and that Aussie site stealing and publishing our posts. :-)
I'll post a full report afterward.

In the meantime, what are some of your favorite Mediterranean appetizers?
Dolmas? Flatbread with dukkah? I think a paella might be a bit too big for
an appetizer, unless the number of guests increased substantially, but I'm
not ruling out pasta. I recently saw Mario Batali make little "sandwiches"
with pan-fried eggplant encasing slabs of cheese, and the whole thing topped
with chunky tomato sauce.

Bob

Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Om wrote about Ritz crackers:

They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
those things.

That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)

What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
season.)

Bob

Various types of gourmet olives and cheeses (especially marinated feta
or marinated fresh mozarella), Insalata Caprese, Dolmas. Think Greek and
southern Italian.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen P suggested:

How about kefta or msemen? Or were you thinking of keeping it more along
the Italian and Greek lines? I love stuffed vine leaves. Or maybe
slow-roast tomato and feta on bruschetta... like dakos, only not salady
and with roasted tomatoes. Or roasted aubergine dip, which it nicer than
it sounds. Um.. Hmm. In summer, I do grilled haloumi (if you slice it
very thin, it can almost go crispy and be its own cracker) with something
slightly tangy or fresh to cut the salt. I normally use watermelon or
crème fraîche with chives or something, but blood orange sliced very thin
may be quite nice. Or pomegranate seeds. I think it might need something
bright green to go with if one goes that way... maybe some rocket or a bit
of fresh sorrel.

That's what comes to mind, anyway! Sounds like a great party! Hope you
have lots of fun.

All very good suggestions, thanks! I'm trying *not* to keep it along Italian
or Greek lines; I want to include things which are from (or at least
inspired by) the cuisines of Spain, Italy, southern France, Greece, Morocco
(or Tunisia), Lebanon, and Turkey.

I've never worked with halloumi; does it crumble when you bend it before
cooking? Asparagus just showed up in our local farmers' market; if halloumi
is pliable I might try wrapping it around asparagus and grilling.

Bob