Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Docking crackers

On Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:36:54 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
> On 10/26/2014 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> And if you're still not easy, mix up all the shedded pieces and put
> >> them into 3 bags and throw them out in different places or times.
> >> G.

> > I'm fairly certain that there's bad people out there that would gladly accept shredded paper or erased drives if there was a chance of mining data out of it.
> >

> I keep all of the old hard drives that I remove from machines that need
> to be disposed of. I don't have so many that I am concerned about what
> to do with them yet.
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

If I was on the other island, I could just throw the hard drives into the gaping maw of the angry Kilauea volcano. Big TV? No problem! That thing could handle anything you could throw at it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:55:52 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
> On 10/25/2014 8:56 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > One can easily make perforated note pads with a sewing machine
> > without thread. I used to do it Whenever I needed a note pad. I
> > just stapled the top of the papers together, and then stitched it.
> >
> > N.
> >

> Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

You put holes in cracker dough (and other thin doughs) to keep them from
puffing up and deforming the finished goods.

That too but I have also read that it keeps the steam out and keeps them
crisp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2014 10:36 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I keep all of the old hard drives that I remove from machines that need
> to be disposed of. I don't have so many that I am concerned about what
> to do with them yet.

Run a magnet over them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl, docking pokes holes to release air that occurs when baking, so the crackers aren't one big puffy
square. It is like poking holes in a pie crust before blind baking.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:31:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...
>> On 10/25/2014 8:56 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>>
>>> One can easily make perforated note pads with a sewing machine
>>> without thread. I used to do it Whenever I needed a note pad. I
>>> just stapled the top of the papers together, and then stitched it.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?

>No. It puts perforations in them to let the steam out while baking and to
>keep air circulating through them so they remain crisp.

Some crackers are also perforated for separating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:09:47 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>> > Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?

>> No. It puts perforations in them to let the steam out while baking and to
>> keep air circulating through them so they remain crisp.

>how does air circulate thru something that is on a baking sheet

Has nothing to do with air, has to do with water vapor being able to
escape from where it condenses between the cracker and the pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 01:32:36 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:55:52 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 10/25/2014 8:56 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> >
>> > One can easily make perforated note pads with a sewing machine
>> > without thread. I used to do it Whenever I needed a note pad. I
>> > just stapled the top of the papers together, and then stitched it.
>> >
>> > N.
>> >

>> Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?
>>
>> --
>> ?.¸¸.?*¨`*?
>> Cheryl

>You put holes in cracker dough (and other thin doughs) to keep them from puffing up and deforming the finished goods.

Nope... the holes are to allow water vapor to escape... any puffing is
desireable, adds flakiness... a product of leavening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:57:17 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 10/25/2014 1:55 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I use the blank backs of junk mail... and most actually use very high
>>> quality bond papers... I cut each page in halves or quarters and
>>> staple like 50 sheets together. I also use the blank backs of junk
>>> mail to print my crossword puzzles.

>> You cheapskate! You spend a fortune on your property and animals and
>> you do what you wrote above. I'll send you a few pads of paper for
>> christmas...how's that?
>> G.
>>

>I know you're just kidding, but wherever you can save a little money to
>spend it elsewhere, I'm all for it.

I do indeed use the blank backs of junkmail, I've got reams of them
saved each year... it's not just to save money, I get a variety of
different papers, different colors/textures, and many are of far nicer
quality than the bargain printer paper I buy. Each year after I do
housekeeping of my file cabinet I save all the paper with blank backs.
Computers were supposed to save paper... bullshit... computers
generate at least a thousand times more paper, probably more like a
million times more paper than when every page had to be hand typed,
carboned, and mimioed. Actually I don't consider any document made on
a printer an original... only hand written is an original. Try to
remember the last time you received a hand written letter/document,
you probably can't, yoose under thirty probably never. I do purchase
writing papers (not printer papers), mostly quite pricey, often a
dollar or more a sheet, even hand laid parchmant that runs over ten
dollars a sheet... all reserved for hand written correspondance,
fountain pen only, no ball points, definitely no printers.
For nice papers go he
http://www.crane.com/
Learn he
http://www.crane.com/about-us
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 01:39:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:33:44 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:

>> > I'm ashamed to call a professional for my paltry paper-shredding needs.
>> > If I had 80 boxes of docs, I'd gladly call one of these people. I also
>> > want to give my friend some work cause I'm a nice guy.

>> My little town does an annual document shredding event. You drive up,
>> the take the boxes of docs and shred them. We also have an annual
>> electronics recycle event, and things like old paint and chemicals where
>> you drive up and they take all of your old electronics like TVs, old
>> VCRs, anything electronic. I have a lot in queue to take in but I keep
>> missing the dates.
>>

>Better luck next time. I got a big Vizo TV that's next to the door that's driving me crazy. It's always tough to get rid of big electronics.

Break it up and put it into regular trash.. or better, donate it to
your local technical school, those items are used for training
purposes... they will pick it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:36:23 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 10/26/2014 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> And if you're still not easy, mix up all the shedded pieces and put
>>> them into 3 bags and throw them out in different places or times.
>>> G.

>> I'm fairly certain that there's bad people out there that would gladly accept shredded paper or erased drives if there was a chance of mining data out of it.
>>

>I keep all of the old hard drives that I remove from machines that need
>to be disposed of. I don't have so many that I am concerned about what
>to do with them yet.

It's very easy to destroy hard drives, cell phones, any electronic
circuitry... heat. My last PC hard drive went into a vice and was
hacksawed into several parts, then taken outside, placed on the ground
and hit with a propane torch... then went into the trash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 01:33:29 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:10:31 AM UTC-10, Kalmia wrote:

>> > Call me paranoid but I don't like the idea of handing over shredded docs
>> > over to a third party nor do I like putting the bag of paper in the
>> > dumpster. I'm thinking of getting a big plastic trash can to dump the
>> > paper in. Maybe I can make paper mache bricks out of the stuff. :-)

>> Gee, my shredded material's almost confetti-like. My bag of whole paper has been 'cleansed' of any id or vital info.
>>
>> What'll you do with these bricks?: ))

>I'm thinking they could be used to clean car windshields. ?

I put shredded paper into my composter... don't even need to shred,
full pages disappear in three months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2014 1:08 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:12:01 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/2014 1:56 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>>
>>> After I shred, it goes into a brown paper bag marked OFFICE PAPER, tape it shut, and it is accepted by my recycling outfit. Wow - I"m glad I can at least recyck all those @$#% glossy political flyers. Must've received a dozen today.
>>>

>> Call me paranoid but I don't like the idea of handing over shredded docs
>> over to a third party nor do I like putting the bag of paper in the
>> dumpster. I'm thinking of getting a big plastic trash can to dump the
>> paper in. Maybe I can make paper mache bricks out of the stuff. :-)

> Give them a proper burial. You're surrounded by water so you can
> always go out in a boat and scatter them at sea.

That sounds like a great idea! The bad guys will never be able to put
that paper back together again. As an added bonus, I might be able to
get myself on the 6:00 news and then have the video go viral!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2014 1:12 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:41:09 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I have a crosscut shredder but is that good enough? Maybe not. I don't
>> throw away hard drives and there's a drawerful of them in the office
>> even though I've taken quite a few apart. Beats the hell out of me where
>> they're coming from. They multiply like rabbits. :-)

> Maybe I didn't hear it here... but I heard somewhere that you can
> erase hard drives very effectively by passing a big enough magnet over
> them. At the moment, I'm thinking the person was talking about using
> a magnet from an old stereo speaker.

I can't say if that would work. You might be able to wipe the bottom
platter of the stack but the top and middle of the stacks seem well
protected. The US military used to chop the platters into bits but now I
suppose they just put the whole drive into a shredder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2014 11:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:55:52 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 10/25/2014 8:56 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> >
>> > One can easily make perforated note pads with a sewing machine
>> > without thread. I used to do it Whenever I needed a note pad. I
>> > just stapled the top of the papers together, and then stitched it.
>> >
>> > N.
>> >

>> Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?
>>
>> --
>> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
>> Cheryl

> You put holes in cracker dough (and other thin doughs) to keep them from
> puffing up and deforming the finished goods.
>
> That too but I have also read that it keeps the steam out and keeps them
> crisp.

The steam is already in the cracker. The holes allow the steam to
escape. The main function of the holes is so that the crackers will look
like crackers and not balloons. You can still make crispy balloons if
that's what you want. Some people do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 5:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 01:32:36 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ?.¸¸.?*¨`*?
>>> Cheryl

>> You put holes in cracker dough (and other thin doughs) to keep them from puffing up and deforming the finished goods.

> Nope... the holes are to allow water vapor to escape... any puffing is
> desireable, adds flakiness... a product of leavening.

Interesting theory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:18:51 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 10/26/2014 1:08 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:12:01 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> Call me paranoid but I don't like the idea of handing over shredded docs
> >> over to a third party nor do I like putting the bag of paper in the
> >> dumpster. I'm thinking of getting a big plastic trash can to dump the
> >> paper in. Maybe I can make paper mache bricks out of the stuff. :-)

> > Give them a proper burial. You're surrounded by water so you can
> > always go out in a boat and scatter them at sea.
> >

> That sounds like a great idea! The bad guys will never be able to put
> that paper back together again. As an added bonus, I might be able to
> get myself on the 6:00 news and then have the video go viral!

See? There's a up side to everything. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 6:25 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Break it up and put it into regular trash.. or better, donate it to
> your local technical school, those items are used for training
> purposes... they will pick it up.

I went to technical school in the 80s and had the darnedest time finding
broken TVs. My guess is that there's practically zero chance of getting
CRT televisions these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 7:39 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:18:51 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/26/2014 1:08 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:12:01 -1000, dsi1

>>> Give them a proper burial. You're surrounded by water so you can
>>> always go out in a boat and scatter them at sea.
>>>

>> That sounds like a great idea! The bad guys will never be able to put
>> that paper back together again. As an added bonus, I might be able to
>> get myself on the 6:00 news and then have the video go viral!

> See? There's a up side to everything. <G>

It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:51:00 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)

We have lines on the road just a couple of blocks from here that could
have been painted by him because they are nonstandard. I was SO happy
when they were painted (and thought it was someone emulating Kramer)
when they first went up because cars on the right would force cars on
the left out of their lane due to no visual cues about who goes where
in the weird intersection. That part of the road was repaved recently
and those lines went back immediately, so I guess the City put them
there after all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 7:55 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:51:00 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)
>>

> We have lines on the road just a couple of blocks from here that could
> have been painted by him because they are nonstandard. I was SO happy
> when they were painted (and thought it was someone emulating Kramer)
> when they first went up because cars on the right would force cars on
> the left out of their lane due to no visual cues about who goes where
> in the weird intersection. That part of the road was repaved recently
> and those lines went back immediately, so I guess the City put them
> there after all.

When you see stuff like that, just tell your kids that Kramer did it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 1:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 7:39 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:18:51 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> That sounds like a great idea! The bad guys will never be able to put
>>> that paper back together again. As an added bonus, I might be able to
>>> get myself on the 6:00 news and then have the video go viral!

>> See? There's a up side to everything. <G>
>>

> It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)

I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:05:24 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 10/27/2014 1:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 10/27/2014 7:39 AM, sf wrote:
> >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:18:51 -1000, dsi1

> >> See? There's a up side to everything. <G>
> >>

> > It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)
> >

> I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
> sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
> but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.

Any garbage you put outside is fair game for bad guys and the CIA to
rummage through. So save sensitive material; walk it out when the
recycling truck comes and watch them dump into in the truck. At the
very least, it will slow them down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 27, 2014 8:05:08 AM UTC-10, James Silverton wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 1:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 10/27/2014 7:39 AM, sf wrote:
> >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:18:51 -1000, dsi1

> >> See? There's a up side to everything. <G>
> >>

> > It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)
> >

> I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
> sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
> but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

As it goes, patient records and credit card receipts is hot, desireable, material. It's best to treat it carefully.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 27, 2014 8:12:14 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:05:24 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:

> > > It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)
> > >

> > I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
> > sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
> > but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.

> Any garbage you put outside is fair game for bad guys and the CIA to
> rummage through. So save sensitive material; walk it out when the
> recycling truck comes and watch them dump into in the truck. At the
> very least, it will slow them down.

My guess is that recycling this sort of waste could be a great business to be in for intelligence agencies or organized crime.

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:46:01 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 10/27/2014 6:25 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Break it up and put it into regular trash.. or better, donate it to
>> your local technical school, those items are used for training
>> purposes... they will pick it up.
>>

>I went to technical school in the 80s and had the darnedest time finding
>broken TVs. My guess is that there's practically zero chance of getting
>CRT televisions these days.

Why... there are still plenty around. I have two I still use, a 21"
Sony and a 32" Sony. Most people are still using CRT TVs. I Also
have two Flat panel HDTVs; a 21" Vizio and a 55" Vizio. In the US
there are still more people using CRT TVs than flat panels... many
people are still using CRT PC moniters on their desk tops, and most
will never buy a flat screen moniter, they'll go directly to a tablet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 27, 2014 9:56:34 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:46:01 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On 10/27/2014 6:25 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >>
> >> Break it up and put it into regular trash.. or better, donate it to
> >> your local technical school, those items are used for training
> >> purposes... they will pick it up.
> >>

> >I went to technical school in the 80s and had the darnedest time finding
> >broken TVs. My guess is that there's practically zero chance of getting
> >CRT televisions these days.

> Why... there are still plenty around. I have two I still use, a 21"
> Sony and a 32" Sony. Most people are still using CRT TVs. I Also
> have two Flat panel HDTVs; a 21" Vizio and a 55" Vizio. In the US
> there are still more people using CRT TVs than flat panels... many
> people are still using CRT PC moniters on their desk tops, and most
> will never buy a flat screen moniter, they'll go directly to a tablet.

I have not seen a CRT monitor in an office in 5 years or so. I don't recall anybody that I know that has a CRT TV. I'll let you know if I ever see one of those rare birds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:38:50 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 10/27/2014 5:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 01:32:36 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> You put holes in cracker dough (and other thin doughs) to keep them from puffing up and deforming the finished goods.

>> Nope... the holes are to allow water vapor to escape... any puffing is
>> desireable, adds flakiness... a product of leavening.
>>

>Interesting theory.

Absolute fact. Without the holes and leavening it'd be hardtack. To
keep pie crusts from deforming they are filled with pie crust weights;
metal beads, or dry beans work as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 2:05 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
> sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
> but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.

Some municipalities require that shredded paper be placed in clear
plastic bags.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 2:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:05:24 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:

>>> It's the perfect plan - especially if your name is Kramer. :-)
>>>

>> I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
>> sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
>> but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.

> Any garbage you put outside is fair game for bad guys and the CIA to
> rummage through. So save sensitive material; walk it out when the
> recycling truck comes and watch them dump into in the truck. At the
> very least, it will slow them down.

I doubt that I am wealthy enough for people to spend the effort of
reconstructing the shredded material. I do have a shredder that produces
small pieces not long strips. Touching wood of course, I've not had any
noticeable trouble. I shred anything I don't keep in my office; I don't
even have a waste basket. A long time ago, in the days when you handed
your card to the cashier, I was billed for about $200 for phone calls to
Ghana. The card company believed me and cancelled the charge. The
company said that the Feds were investigating but I never heard any more
about it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2014 4:12 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 2:05 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> I have a paper recycling bin and I put in it the shredded paper of all
>> sorts from my office. I've never had any complaints from the recyclers
>> but, if I did, I'd put the shredded stuff in the normal garbage.
>>

> Some municipalities require that shredded paper be placed in clear
> plastic bags.

Seems rather to defeat the purpose of recycling :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:59:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, October 27, 2014 9:56:34 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:46:01 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I went to technical school in the 80s and had the darnedest time finding
>> >broken TVs. My guess is that there's practically zero chance of getting
>> >CRT televisions these days.

>> Why... there are still plenty around. I have two I still use, a 21"
>> Sony and a 32" Sony. Most people are still using CRT TVs. I Also
>> have two Flat panel HDTVs; a 21" Vizio and a 55" Vizio. In the US
>> there are still more people using CRT TVs than flat panels... many
>> people are still using CRT PC moniters on their desk tops, and most
>> will never buy a flat screen moniter, they'll go directly to a tablet.

>I have not seen a CRT monitor in an office in 5 years or so.

Most businesses moved to flat panels to save desk space and they can
write it off as a capital expenditure, but at home folks generally
won't discard a CRT TV while it's still working... people will buy a
flat panel HDTV but not discard their working CRT TV, they will move
it to a different location like I did. I placed the 32" Sony in my
living room where the TV is rarely on, and the 21" Sony went into a
guest bedroom to replace the 13", which now sits on a closet floor
until I decide what to do with it.The 21" Sony used to be in my office
until I bought the 21" Vizio for my office, to save desk space... if I
had wall space in front of where I sit I would have gotten a larger
HDTV.

>I don't recall anybody that I know that has a CRT TV.

Perhaps you don't know anyone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 27, 2014 10:29:19 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:59:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, October 27, 2014 9:56:34 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:46:01 -1000, dsi1

> >> Why... there are still plenty around. I have two I still use, a 21"
> >> Sony and a 32" Sony. Most people are still using CRT TVs. I Also
> >> have two Flat panel HDTVs; a 21" Vizio and a 55" Vizio. In the US
> >> there are still more people using CRT TVs than flat panels... many
> >> people are still using CRT PC moniters on their desk tops, and most
> >> will never buy a flat screen moniter, they'll go directly to a tablet.

> >I have not seen a CRT monitor in an office in 5 years or so.

> Most businesses moved to flat panels to save desk space and they can
> write it off as a capital expenditure, but at home folks generally
> won't discard a CRT TV while it's still working... people will buy a
> flat panel HDTV but not discard their working CRT TV, they will move
> it to a different location like I did. I placed the 32" Sony in my
> living room where the TV is rarely on, and the 21" Sony went into a
> guest bedroom to replace the 13", which now sits on a closet floor
> until I decide what to do with it.The 21" Sony used to be in my office
> until I bought the 21" Vizio for my office, to save desk space... if I
> had wall space in front of where I sit I would have gotten a larger
> HDTV.
>
> >I don't recall anybody that I know that has a CRT TV.

> Perhaps you don't know anyone.

I just don't know any really old people. Old folks dig CRT TV. Young folks hate those things!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:26:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, October 27, 2014 10:29:19 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:59:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> wrote:

>> >I have not seen a CRT monitor in an office in 5 years or so.

>> Most businesses moved to flat panels to save desk space and they can
>> write it off as a capital expenditure, but at home folks generally
>> won't discard a CRT TV while it's still working... people will buy a
>> flat panel HDTV but not discard their working CRT TV, they will move
>> it to a different location like I did. I placed the 32" Sony in my
>> living room where the TV is rarely on, and the 21" Sony went into a
>> guest bedroom to replace the 13", which now sits on a closet floor
>> until I decide what to do with it.The 21" Sony used to be in my office
>> until I bought the 21" Vizio for my office, to save desk space... if I
>> had wall space in front of where I sit I would have gotten a larger
>> HDTV.
>>
>> >I don't recall anybody that I know that has a CRT TV.

>> Perhaps you don't know anyone.

>I just don't know any really old people.

That explains why you're so ignorant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:44:34 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:26:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, October 27, 2014 10:29:19 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> Most businesses moved to flat panels to save desk space and they can
> >> write it off as a capital expenditure, but at home folks generally
> >> won't discard a CRT TV while it's still working... people will buy a
> >> flat panel HDTV but not discard their working CRT TV, they will move
> >> it to a different location like I did. I placed the 32" Sony in my
> >> living room where the TV is rarely on, and the 21" Sony went into a
> >> guest bedroom to replace the 13", which now sits on a closet floor
> >> until I decide what to do with it.The 21" Sony used to be in my office
> >> until I bought the 21" Vizio for my office, to save desk space... if I
> >> had wall space in front of where I sit I would have gotten a larger
> >> HDTV.

> >> Perhaps you don't know anyone.

> >I just don't know any really old people.

> That explains why you're so ignorant.

Wait a minute - you don't even know how a cracker works and you're using the "i" word?! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think the ocean has enough plastic and hard metal crap without tossing in hard drives and CDs.
Please don't do that.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 27, 2014 1:25:32 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On 10/26/2014 1:12 AM, sf wrote:
> > Maybe I didn't hear it here... but I heard somewhere that you can
> > erase hard drives very effectively by passing a big enough magnet over
> > them. At the moment, I'm thinking the person was talking about using
> > a magnet from an old stereo speaker.

An old fashioned degausser that used to be used on old CRT televisions will do a great job of destroying data on a hard drive, or floppy for that matter. Some computer rooms have degaussing tables to wipe drives that have been replaced.

> I can't say if that would work. You might be able to wipe the bottom
> platter of the stack but the top and middle of the stacks seem well
> protected. The US military used to chop the platters into bits but now I
> suppose they just put the whole drive into a shredder.

For home use, I recommend a program called DBAN (Derek's Boot And Nuke). It is a bootable Linux image that you can download and either burn to a CD/DVD or put onto a thumb drive. You boot your system from the DBAN drive, and it finds whatever hard disks are on that computer, then you can have it wipe the drive with your choice of processes. The basic one writes all 1s to the entire disk, then all 0s, then random data. It has more passes for more paranoid folks, but no one this side of the NSA is going to get anything off a disk that has been wiped by DBAN even at the most basic level. Every time my company gives me a new laptop I use DBAN on the old one. Oh, if you use this, be ready to let it run all night. It takes a long time to write multi-hundred gigabytes 3 times.

The advantage to this is the computer and hard drive are usable when you are done, not that new hard drives are expensive these days.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, VA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:43:02 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I think the ocean has enough plastic and hard metal crap without tossing in hard drives and CDs.
>Please don't do that.
>
>N.

Here's a Wiki link to the Pacific floating trash island. The image to
the right shows approximate. locations of other trash islands
throughout the world's oceans. Unbelievable!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 10/26/2014 11:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Is that what docking does? Make perforations so you can separate them?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
>>> Cheryl

>> You put holes in cracker dough (and other thin doughs) to keep them from
>> puffing up and deforming the finished goods.
>>
>> That too but I have also read that it keeps the steam out and keeps them
>> crisp.

> The steam is already in the cracker. The holes allow the steam to escape.
> The main function of the holes is so that the crackers will look like
> crackers and not balloons. You can still make crispy balloons if that's
> what you want. Some people do.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:38:50 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>>On 10/27/2014 5:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Nope... the holes are to allow water vapor to escape... any puffing is
>>> desireable, adds flakiness... a product of leavening.
>>>

>>Interesting theory.

> Absolute fact. Without the holes and leavening it'd be hardtack. To
> keep pie crusts from deforming they are filled with pie crust weights;
> metal beads, or dry beans work as well.

There is no leavening in the crackers I made. Just water, flour, olive oil
and salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 10/27/2014 6:25 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Break it up and put it into regular trash.. or better, donate it to
>> your local technical school, those items are used for training
>> purposes... they will pick it up.
>>

> I went to technical school in the 80s and had the darnedest time finding
> broken TVs. My guess is that there's practically zero chance of getting
> CRT televisions these days.

I have one for sure. Maybe two.

The docking tool worked! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 24 12-11-2014 08:08 PM
the best crackers! Peter Lucas General Cooking 2 16-10-2010 11:24 PM
Ritz crackers cory! General Cooking 91 18-03-2010 06:32 AM
(3D) Animal crackers! ChattyCathy General Cooking 0 27-05-2009 05:44 PM
Herbed Crackers Andy & Shell Recipes (moderated) 0 26-11-2003 04:11 PM