Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How much garbage do you generate?

I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
> enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
> FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
> chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
> is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
> only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
> so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
> carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

The vast majority of my garbage output is:

1. Boxes, packing foam and the like.

2. Shredded junk mail.

This has been the norm for many years and I'm 44. I don't think it has
anything to do with age, though the older you get the less you typically
acquire since you already have it. I think it's mostly a function of not
buying prepared foods (more packaging involved than fresh) and not being
wasteful i.e. not finishing what you put on your plate or not eating
leftovers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.

I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
> enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
> FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
> chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
> is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
> only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
> so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
> carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

have you reduced it, or has it always been low? I bet the latter. I cannot
imagine how much trash others produce, mostly younger folks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:13:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
>disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
>trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
>one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
>when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
>empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
>too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
>enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
>FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
>chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
>is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
>only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
>so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
>carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

We generate a fair bit of recycling, but that's mainly because the
recycle company here takes a lot of different stuff. All of our
vegetable material gets composted, and in the winter we burn most of
our paper and cardboard waste, including stuff like toilet rolls and
used kleenex from the waste baskets.

As far as garbage is concerned, we mainly have cat litter and meat
scraps. Because of the smell (and wild critters) we save up our meat
waste in a container in the freezer.

Bag tags here are $3 a pop, so we don't put out a bag of garbage
unless it's pretty full. Perhaps one bag every 3 weeks.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 11:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.

Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten" food
has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting where
I live.)

> I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.

I haven't peeled and cored apples in quite some time, although I have in
the past. The apple peels and cores went into the trash can. Another
example would be after coring cabbage. Snapping the ends off stalks of
celery. Onion peels. Things like that go into the trash, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 11:13 AM, sf wrote:
> I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> too.

With just me and my wife, a bag a week is about right. Occasionally it
may be two. The recycle bin only goes out every other week. We don't
use a lot of canned goods. It is newspapers and a few wine bottles a
week. Right now, there are four of us and the amount of trash has a bit
more than doubled.

We recently renovated two bathrooms so we got a 10 yard container to get
rid of the old stuff It also was a good time to get rid of other
accumulated "stuff" in the basement and garage. It was full when it left.

As Pete mentioned, we don't have the need to acquire much more "stuff"
these days. Rather than accumulate goods, I'd rather use the money on
eating at a nice restaurant go taking a trip. We have all the
appliances, TVs and computers we will ever need and I'm not replacing
them as long as they work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:20:40 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> I think it's mostly a function of not
> buying prepared foods (more packaging involved than fresh) and not being
> wasteful i.e. not finishing what you put on your plate or not eating
> leftovers.

I'm thinking that's the case. I also don't buy or cook more than I
think I can consume in what I consider a reasonable amount of time.
As far as portion control goes: you're absolutely spot on. I know how
much we can consume without pigging out. That's the amount I cook and
that's what goes on the plate if I was requested to make extra for
lunch the following day. Hubby and I had a discussion about portions
just the other day that began with hubby saying "you know me better
than I know myself".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:42:23 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.
>
> I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.

I cored a pineapple and some apples last week too (made apple butter)
but I didn't have any escarole - so maybe that was the big difference
between the amount of garbage you and I produced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:44:57 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> > disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> > trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> > one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> > when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> > empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> > too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
> > enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
> > FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
> > chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
> > is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
> > only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
> > so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
> > carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

> have you reduced it, or has it always been low? I bet the latter. I cannot
> imagine how much trash others produce, mostly younger folks.

You're right, I've always been pretty good but I've noticed it has
reduced even more in the last couple of years even though we eat out
less often. Not sure why, because I've always been a scratch cook and
don't keep many leftovers in the refrigerator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:13:47 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/11/2014 11:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.

> Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten" food
>
> has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting where
>
> I live.)

I meant food waste. I used the term garbage to mean food waste only.

I am lucky to have curbside recycling, so I don't feel too guilty about cans and cardboard which I term as trash.

Wouldn't they let you compost if you wanted to?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:56:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:42:23 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>

> >It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.

> >I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.

> I generate assorted garbage but there are bins for everything. Pure
>
> garbage, cardboard, paper, plastics, general recyclables, refundable
>
> containers, non refundable containers. Also green bins for anything
>
> compostable. Our refundable containers are taken away by arrangement
>
> with a youth hockey team weekly and they are very grateful for the
>
> support generated, adds up nicely.
>

> Considering there are 90 units, we only generate one skip per week of
>
> absolute garbage, so we are doing a good job.

Where do bones or shells go?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
> enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
> FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
> chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
> is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
> only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
> so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
> carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

I think so, we compost food trimmings and coffee grounds for the worms,
including some newspapers that we run through the shredder first, recycle
the rest so we have very little trash after that. We recently went to the
smallest trash receptacle available from CA Waste and still only about a
bag, if that, but it sure used to be more.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 1:18 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:13:47 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 11:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.

>> Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten" food
>>
>> has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting where
>>
>> I live.)

> I meant food waste. I used the term garbage to mean food waste only.
>
> I am lucky to have curbside recycling, so I don't feel too guilty about cans and cardboard which I term as trash.
>
> Wouldn't they let you compost if you wanted to?

Ha! You know enough about where I live; the rules, the regulations, the
covenants. No, they don't allow composting.

There's only one trash/garbage pickup service available here, too. For
some reason a couple of years ago a majority of owners voted against
recycling. I have no idea why. I called to ask about how to know what
types of things to recycle? I was immediatedly asked, "Do you live on
Dataw?" Yes. She said "Never mind." Apparently the idiots who live
here couldn't be bothered to separate paper from plastic from cans and
somehow they protested enough to get the garbage company to pull the
plug on recycling. I don't understand it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:48:03 AM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:

> We generate a fair bit of recycling, but that's mainly because the
> recycle company here takes a lot of different stuff.

Same here.

> As far as garbage is concerned, we mainly have cat litter and meat
> scraps. Because of the smell (and wild critters) we save up our meat
> waste in a container in the freezer.

Same here again, but no wild critters. Meat scraps and meat trays go in the freezer in one of those plastic grocery bags until garbage day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/11/2014 1:18 PM, Kalmia wrote:

>>> Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten" food
>>>
>>> has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting where
>>>
>>> I live.)

>> I meant food waste. I used the term garbage to mean food waste only.
>>
>> I am lucky to have curbside recycling, so I don't feel too guilty about
>> cans and cardboard which I term as trash.
>>
>> Wouldn't they let you compost if you wanted to?
>>

> Ha! You know enough about where I live; the rules, the regulations, the
> covenants. No, they don't allow composting.
>
> There's only one trash/garbage pickup service available here, too. For
> some reason a couple of years ago a majority of owners voted against
> recycling. I have no idea why. I called to ask about how to know what
> types of things to recycle? I was immediatedly asked, "Do you live on
> Dataw?" Yes. She said "Never mind." Apparently the idiots who live here
> couldn't be bothered to separate paper from plastic from cans and somehow
> they protested enough to get the garbage company to pull the plug on
> recycling. I don't understand it.

maybe they were used to commingled recycling where they came from (or have
their non-vacation homes). I must say - commingled is a big step up from
"every house sort their own trash".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten' cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for the compost heap or garbage pickup.
>
>I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.

All critter food.... nothing edible ever goes into my trash can...
things like coffee grounds and teabags go into the composter. Aside
from recycleables the only trash is used cat litter. Meat scraps and
fat trimmings feed the crows... meat bones get crunched up by skunks,
coyotes, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2014 9:13 AM, sf wrote:
> I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
> enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
> FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
> chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
> is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
> only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
> so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
> carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

Quite often for me it's only one supermarket plastic bag-full every
week. I keep the wheelie bins in the garage and in cooler weather I
usually wait 2-3 weeks before taking the trouble to put the bin by the kerb.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:48:03 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:13:32 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
>>disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
>>trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
>>one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
>>when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
>>empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
>>too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
>>enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.
>>FINALLY, yesterday - hubby came into the kitchen and said with a
>>chuckle "I think it's full enough to take out". Blue Bin, recycling
>>is the same. Not much generated by us - it's mainly junk mail and
>>only one box a week. Hubby eats breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks -
>>so there's plenty of opportunity to produce trash. Is reducing your
>>carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

>We generate a fair bit of recycling, but that's mainly because the
>recycle company here takes a lot of different stuff. All of our
>vegetable material gets composted, and in the winter we burn most of
>our paper and cardboard waste, including stuff like toilet rolls and
>used kleenex from the waste baskets.
>
>As far as garbage is concerned, we mainly have cat litter and meat
>scraps. Because of the smell (and wild critters) we save up our meat
>waste in a container in the freezer.
>
>Bag tags here are $3 a pop, so we don't put out a bag of garbage
>unless it's pretty full. Perhaps one bag every 3 weeks.

No garbage service here, but nothing leaves the property if it can be
eaten by human, animal or decomposed. Other than that, I guess I
generate about a ¼ of what you call a garbage bag on a typical week,
which is pretty much plastic packaging of some sort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It has been a l-o-n-g time since open burning is allowed in a city of any size around here. So my
Garbage consists mostly of paper waste and food scraps. I don't use the garbage disposal very
much. And I don't have anything outside that could use compost. We have municipal trash pickup
weekly, all part of our water/waste bill, and are allowed one of those giant bins each week. Being
solo, I usually need to put the can out curbside only once every two weeks.

Yard waste and recycling go in separate containers. Yard waste stickers (one per 30 gallon trash
can) cost $20 per calendar year. They are used for anything organic like leaves, branches, twigs, weeds, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 3:11 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:42:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> There's only one trash/garbage pickup service available here, too. For
>> some reason a couple of years ago a majority of owners voted against
>> recycling. I have no idea why. I called to ask about how to know what
>> types of things to recycle? I was immediatedly asked, "Do you live on
>> Dataw?" Yes. She said "Never mind." Apparently the idiots who live
>> here couldn't be bothered to separate paper from plastic from cans and
>> somehow they protested enough to get the garbage company to pull the
>> plug on recycling. I don't understand it.
>>
>> Jill

> Here the city is moving towards using clear plastic garbage bags to
> catch people who don't want to recycle, if they don't want to do it,
> then they must pay so that somebody else does it. I'm all for it. It
> is a civic duty and we should be doing it for future generations. We
> make too much garbage and now they have made manufacturers package
> with recyclable stuff, it's the turn of the people to do it!

I have no idea why the majority of residents here complained about
having to recycle. It may have had something to do with having to buy
extra bins. I'm not sure why that would bother these toodling around on
golf carts people, but it's a guess. I was perfectly willing to
separate plastic, glass, cans. No composting here, so also food scraps
that won't go down the garbage disposal (those wouldn't have amounted to
much).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/11/2014 11:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount
>> of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten'
>> cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for
>> the compost heap or garbage pickup.
>>

> Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten"
> food has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting
> where I live.)
>
>> I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and
>> coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.
>>

> I haven't peeled and cored apples in quite some time, although I have
> in the past. The apple peels and cores went into the trash can.
> Another example would be after coring cabbage. Snapping the ends off
> stalks of celery. Onion peels. Things like that go into the trash, too.
>
> Jill

You can't compost plastic, genius.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 22:01:36 -0400, Roger > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 11:42 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>> It appears that the amount of FOOD garbage is related to the amount
>>> of scratch cooking one does. If someone is living on 'boughten'
>>> cookies, canned soups, frozen pizza etc, no there won't be much for
>>> the compost heap or garbage pickup.
>>>

>> Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten"
>> food has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting
>> where I live.)
>>
>>> I had a lot the other day after processing a pineapple, peeling and
>>> coring 5 apples, and removing the tougher parts of a head of escarole.
>>>

>> I haven't peeled and cored apples in quite some time, although I have
>> in the past. The apple peels and cores went into the trash can.
>> Another example would be after coring cabbage. Snapping the ends off
>> stalks of celery. Onion peels. Things like that go into the trash, too.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>You can't compost plastic, genius.

You can if its biodegradable, retard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2014 10:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 22:01:36 -0400, Roger > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>>
>>> Uh, what? All that cardboard and plastic packaging from "boughten"
>>> food has to go somewhere. Into the trash can! (There's no composting
>>> where I live.)

>>> I haven't peeled and cored apples in quite some time, although I have
>>> in the past. The apple peels and cores went into the trash can.
>>> Another example would be after coring cabbage. Snapping the ends off
>>> stalks of celery. Onion peels. Things like that go into the trash, too.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> You can't compost plastic, genius.

> You can if its biodegradable, retard.

Compost? Nope. I specifically said I can't compost. "Roger" can't
read. I called the company that picks up my trash and there are
markings on the bottom of things like plastic milk jugs which indicate
which ones are recycleable, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 00:11:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/11/2014 10:31 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> You can't compost plastic, genius.

>> You can if its biodegradable, retard.
>>

>Compost? Nope. I specifically said I can't compost. "Roger" can't
>read. I called the company that picks up my trash and there are
>markings on the bottom of things like plastic milk jugs which indicate
>which ones are recycleable, too.

Whomever 'roger' is, you sure ****ed them off to the point of
desperation. Well done
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2014 12:38 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 00:11:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> You can if its biodegradable, retard.
>>>

>> Compost? Nope. I specifically said I can't compost. "Roger" can't
>> read. I called the company that picks up my trash and there are
>> markings on the bottom of things like plastic milk jugs which indicate
>> which ones are recycleable, too.

> Whomever 'roger' is, you sure ****ed them off to the point of
> desperation. Well done

Probably another variation of "Earl", my personal troll. As if I care.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 01:03:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/12/2014 12:38 AM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 00:11:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Compost? Nope. I specifically said I can't compost. "Roger" can't
>>> read. I called the company that picks up my trash and there are
>>> markings on the bottom of things like plastic milk jugs which indicate
>>> which ones are recycleable, too.

>> Whomever 'roger' is, you sure ****ed them off to the point of
>> desperation. Well done
>>

>Probably another variation of "Earl",

I'm sure it is.

>my personal troll. As if I care.

Way to go, it'll **** them off even more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Even though old tires are recycled into playground mulch, etc., there is now some question about
how safe that is, there being carcinogenic chemicals in the tires. Another "good idea" that may
not be so good after all.

Yes, plastics can be made into park benches, lawn furniture, fencing, clothing, carpets, etc.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Even though old tires are recycled into playground mulch, etc., there is now some question about
> how safe that is, there being carcinogenic chemicals in the tires. Another "good idea" that may
> not be so good after all.
>
> Yes, plastics can be made into park benches, lawn furniture, fencing, clothing, carpets, etc.

I'm thinking that maybe we should ease up a bit on all the
biodegradable or recycle things. We need to bury some more permanent
things here and there so down the road, hundreds/thousands of years
from now, future archeologists will still have a job. Are we creating
future unemployment in this field by being so concerned right now?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 06:01:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Even though old tires are recycled into playground mulch, etc., there is now some question about
>how safe that is, there being carcinogenic chemicals in the tires. Another "good idea" that may
>not be so good after all.
>
>Yes, plastics can be made into park benches, lawn furniture, fencing, clothing, carpets, etc.

Recycled plastic makes much longer lasting 'lumber' for decking,
fences, outdoor furniture, etc., and needs no painting/staining or
preservative applied. My neighbor replaced all his wooden decking
this summer with recycled plastic decking, looks great... no knots, no
splitting, and warranteed to last 50 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 06:01:53 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Even though old tires are recycled into playground mulch, etc., there is now some question about
>how safe that is, there being carcinogenic chemicals in the tires. Another "good idea" that may
>not be so good after all.

A lot of people grow potatoes in old tyres, I won't because of the
reason you've outlined.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:13:32 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:

> I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
> too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
> enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.

Depends on whether one of us has a cold or not. I took out a bale of used
kleenex last week.

We ditched the 13 gallon tall kitchen bags, because the kitchen garbage can
stank long before the bag filled. Now we switched to 8 gallon Glad bags
(generics aren't tough enough), and change them midweek, whether full or not.

We did compost our vegetable waste for years, but then lost interest.

> Is reducing your
> carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

We don't cook much out of boxes, jars, and cans any more. Not so many
catalogs come; we're down to three magazines and one newspaper -- which
is itself shrinking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:13:32 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
>
>> I just realized that we don't generate much. I don't use my garbage
>> disposal very much. We don't compost, so coffee grounds and food
>> trimmings go into the (covered) garbage can and yet, we generate only
>> one bag of waste per week... which turns into more like half a bag
>> when it's taken out of the trash can to go to the trash bin, so we
>> empty the trash baskets in the den, bedrooms and bathrooms in there
>> too. We didn't eat out at all last week and still didn't generate
>> enough garbage to make emptying the kitchen trash worthwhile.

> Depends on whether one of us has a cold or not. I took out a bale of used
> kleenex last week.
>
> We ditched the 13 gallon tall kitchen bags, because the kitchen garbage
> can
> stank long before the bag filled. Now we switched to 8 gallon Glad bags
> (generics aren't tough enough), and change them midweek, whether full or
> not.
>
> We did compost our vegetable waste for years, but then lost interest.
>
>> Is reducing your
>> carbon footprint a normal part of getting "older"?

> We don't cook much out of boxes, jars, and cans any more. Not so many
> catalogs come; we're down to three magazines and one newspaper -- which
> is itself shrinking.

I really wish I could cut down on the junk snail mail. Besides the cans,
that really is the bulk of my recycling. Every day I go through the mail
and it almost all goes into the bin straight away. I don't even need the
store ads except for occasional coupons. The amount of waste generated by
junk mail is insane. I get a packet of coupons each week and I will never
use a one of them. There are occasionally restaurant or pizza delivery
coupons but most are for things like roofing and windows. Ads for stores
where I would never shop and catalogs that will never be opened. Now that I
have the Internet, I have no need for any of these things. I have tried
various measures to stop the junk mail but none of them worked.

I have noticed that some of the apartment complexes around here are now
putting recycle bin right by the mailboxes. So apparently I am not the only
one with this problem. And they actually encouraging companies to send out
more catalogs to keep the post office busy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I really wish I could cut down on the junk snail mail. Ads for stores
> where I would never shop and catalogs that will never be opened.

If those catalogs have a 1-800 number on them you can call and ask for your name A N D address to be removed from their mailing list. Junk mail that has a postage paid return envelope can be use to make the same request. The company sending out the original mail has to pay for that postage paid envelope, not you. I've used both methods numerous times and it's amazing doing these two things can really cut down on that garbage.