Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Curry leaf plant fruit

The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.

Anybody know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:58:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>
> The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>

> Anybody know?

Found this on a nursery site.

The Curry Leaf Plant, or Curry Tree (Murraya koenigii), is native to India and Sri Lanka, and is not to be confused with the Curry Plant (Helichrysum italicum) which is in the Aster family. Helichrysum italicum has a curry-like smell, but it is used more like sage in cooking and is not a good substitute for the Curry Leaf Plant. In the past we were not able to sell it, because it is a carrier of the Asian Citrus Psyllid; however, we have recently received these plants from Monrovia Nursery! As one can reasonably assume from its name, the Curry Leaf Plant is used, especially in Sri Lankan and southern and west-coast Indian cooking, in making curries. It grows to be a small tree with highly fragrant leaves, small white flowers, and edible fruits (but do not eat the seeds).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:26:57 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:58:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>> The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>>
>> The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>>

>> Anybody know?

>Found this on a nursery site.
>
>The Curry Leaf Plant, or Curry Tree (Murraya koenigii), is native to India and Sri Lanka, and is not to be confused with the Curry Plant (Helichrysum italicum) which is in the Aster family. Helichrysum italicum has a curry-like smell, but it is used more like sage in cooking and is not a good substitute for the Curry Leaf Plant. In the past we were not able to sell it, because it is a carrier of the Asian Citrus Psyllid; however, we have recently received these plants from Monrovia Nursery! As one can reasonably assume from its name, the Curry Leaf Plant is used, especially in Sri Lankan and southern and west-coast Indian cooking, in making curries. It grows to be a small tree with highly fragrant leaves, small white flowers, and edible fruits (but do not eat the seeds).

Well, that's another anecdotal bit of info saying the seeds are
possibly toxic.

John Kuthe...

---