FoodBanter.com

-   -   Curry leaf plant fruit (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/431027-curry-leaf-plant-fruit.html)

[email protected] 29-09-2014 05:58 AM

Curry leaf plant fruit

The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.

Anybody know?

sf[_9_] 29-09-2014 08:31 AM

Curry leaf plant fruit

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 21:58:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
> The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>
> Anybody know?

I thought I was lucky just to find a store that sold fresh curry leaf
and now you're asking about "fruit"... I guess that would considered a
seed pod by the rest of us. No idea what to say other than "plant it
and see what comes up". :)

John Kuthe[_2_] 29-09-2014 01:17 PM

Curry leaf plant fruit

wrote:

>The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>
>Anybody know?

I don't "know", but it seems me that it should be edible.

Try them and see, and let us know. If we don't hear back from you, we
will assume they are deadly toxic! ;-)

John Kuthe...

---

[email protected] 29-09-2014 07:48 PM

Curry leaf plant fruit

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 07:17:11 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 21:58:42 -0700 (PDT),
>wrote:
>
>>The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>>The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>>
>>Anybody know?

>I don't "know", but it seems me that it should be edible.
>
>Try them and see, and let us know. If we don't hear back from you, we
>will assume they are deadly toxic! ;-)
>

>John Kuthe...
>
>---
>This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree. Be very careful. Seeds are
poisonous but the pulp is OK, or the other way around.

JonH

John Kuthe[_2_] 29-09-2014 09:19 PM

Curry leaf plant fruit

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:48:20 +0100, wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 07:17:11 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 21:58:42 -0700 (PDT),

>>wrote:
>>
>>>The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>>>The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>>>
>>>Anybody know?

>>I don't "know", but it seems me that it should be edible.
>>
>>Try them and see, and let us know. If we don't hear back from you, we
>>will assume they are deadly toxic! ;-)
>>

>>John Kuthe...
>>
>>---
>>This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree. Be very careful. Seeds are
>poisonous but the pulp is OK, or the other way around.
>
>JonH

Someone just said that on Wikipedia, it says "citation needed".

John Kuthe...

---

ImStillMags 29-09-2014 10:26 PM

Curry leaf plant fruit

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:58:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>
> The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>

> Anybody know?

Found this on a nursery site.

The Curry Leaf Plant, or Curry Tree (Murraya koenigii), is native to India and Sri Lanka, and is not to be confused with the Curry Plant (Helichrysum italicum) which is in the Aster family. Helichrysum italicum has a curry-like smell, but it is used more like sage in cooking and is not a good substitute for the Curry Leaf Plant. In the past we were not able to sell it, because it is a carrier of the Asian Citrus Psyllid; however, we have recently received these plants from Monrovia Nursery! As one can reasonably assume from its name, the Curry Leaf Plant is used, especially in Sri Lankan and southern and west-coast Indian cooking, in making curries. It grows to be a small tree with highly fragrant leaves, small white flowers, and edible fruits (but do not eat the seeds).

John Kuthe[_2_] 30-09-2014 01:17 PM

Curry leaf plant fruit

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:26:57 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:58:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
>> The curry leaf plant my wife bought from the Indian store has two fruits on it.
>>
>> The internet is split on whether the fruit is edible or not.
>>

>> Anybody know?

>Found this on a nursery site.
>
>The Curry Leaf Plant, or Curry Tree (Murraya koenigii), is native to India and Sri Lanka, and is not to be confused with the Curry Plant (Helichrysum italicum) which is in the Aster family. Helichrysum italicum has a curry-like smell, but it is used more like sage in cooking and is not a good substitute for the Curry Leaf Plant. In the past we were not able to sell it, because it is a carrier of the Asian Citrus Psyllid; however, we have recently received these plants from Monrovia Nursery! As one can reasonably assume from its name, the Curry Leaf Plant is used, especially in Sri Lankan and southern and west-coast Indian cooking, in making curries. It grows to be a small tree with highly fragrant leaves, small white flowers, and edible fruits (but do not eat the seeds).

Well, that's another anecdotal bit of info saying the seeds are
possibly toxic.

John Kuthe...

---