Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default COPHA - any substitute for?

I just stumbled across this forum as I was looking for COPHA substitutes, only to find that Crisco and other products are NOT the way to go. Been using cocoa butter myself, but wanted to try this COPHA out once. The website that was previously listed is a dead link. I did, however, find their new and improved online store that sells COPHA. They even have an app !! Woot Woot.

Check it: https://www.simplyoz.com

Hope this helps out at least one person, if not more. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just saw the dates of the previous postings ... 18 years ago !!!

LMFAO and FML.

Will anyone EVER see this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Will anyone EVER see this?

I did lol

does cocoa butter actually work as a sub?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I saw it, another 4 years on. Lol. So funny reading a thread and realising it is 22 years old. I had searched for copha to see if there is a substitute and ended up here. I Live in Australia so I can buy copha any time and grew up having chocolate crackles at parties and cake stall fundraising events. I didn't realise copha is an Australian thing. Maybe copha is now available in other countries? When I saw the substitutes people mentioned here I cringed and can imagine how awful they would have tasted. Well done though for being inventive and having a go. You need copha to make Chocolate crackles and I don't think there is a substitute (but I also haven't read the rest of the thread). I had a giggle when the person said "are they really worth it? " They ARE really nice and so easy to make but if you have had to go to so much trouble to get copha, maybe they won't seem worth it in the end?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 18:11:42 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote:

>> I saw it, another 4 years on. Lol. So funny reading a thread and
>> realising it is 22 years old. I had searched for copha to see if
>> there is a substitute and ended up here. I Live in Australia so I
>> can buy copha any time and grew up having chocolate crackles at
>> parties and cake stall fundraising events. I didn't realise copha is
>> an Australian thing. Maybe copha is now available in other countries?
>> When I saw the substitutes people mentioned here I cringed and can
>> imagine how awful they would have tasted. Well done though for being
>> inventive and having a go. You need copha to make Chocolate crackles
>> and I don't think there is a substitute (but I also haven't read the
>> rest of the thread). I had a giggle when the person said "are they
>> really worth it? " They ARE really nice and so easy to make but if
>> you have had to go to so much trouble to get copha, maybe they
>> won't seem worth it in the end?

>Hi Alanna!
>
>Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?

Coconut fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 2:11:51 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > I saw it, another 4 years on. Lol. So funny reading a thread and
> > realising it is 22 years old. I had searched for copha to see if
> > there is a substitute and ended up here. I Live in Australia so I
> > can buy copha any time and grew up having chocolate crackles at
> > parties and cake stall fundraising events. I didn't realise copha is
> > an Australian thing. Maybe copha is now available in other countries?
> > When I saw the substitutes people mentioned here I cringed and can
> > imagine how awful they would have tasted. Well done though for being
> > inventive and having a go. You need copha to make Chocolate crackles
> > and I don't think there is a substitute (but I also haven't read the
> > rest of the thread). I had a giggle when the person said "are they
> > really worth it? " They ARE really nice and so easy to make but if
> > you have had to go to so much trouble to get copha, maybe they
> > won't seem worth it in the end?

> Hi Alanna!
>
> Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?

Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot in the US so there might be a market for Copha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 2:11:51 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I saw it, another 4 years on. Lol. So funny reading a thread and
>> > realising it is 22 years old. I had searched for copha to see if
>> > there is a substitute and ended up here. I Live in Australia so I
>> > can buy copha any time and grew up having chocolate crackles at
>> > parties and cake stall fundraising events. I didn't realise copha is
>> > an Australian thing. Maybe copha is now available in other countries?
>> > When I saw the substitutes people mentioned here I cringed and can
>> > imagine how awful they would have tasted. Well done though for being
>> > inventive and having a go. You need copha to make Chocolate crackles
>> > and I don't think there is a substitute (but I also haven't read the
>> > rest of the thread). I had a giggle when the person said "are they
>> > really worth it? " They ARE really nice and so easy to make but if
>> > you have had to go to so much trouble to get copha, maybe they
>> > won't seem worth it in the end?

>> Hi Alanna!
>>
>> Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?

>Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot in the US so there might be a market for Copha.

I wonder if that means it's transfat, the only fat everybody agrees is
bad for you. Even the kooks agree.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 2:11:51 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I saw it, another 4 years on. Lol. So funny reading a thread
> > > and realising it is 22 years old. I had searched for copha to
> > > see if there is a substitute and ended up here. I Live in
> > > Australia so I can buy copha any time and grew up having
> > > chocolate crackles at parties and cake stall fundraising events.
> > > I didn't realise copha is an Australian thing. Maybe copha is now
> > > available in other countries? When I saw the substitutes people
> > > mentioned here I cringed and can imagine how awful they would
> > > have tasted. Well done though for being inventive and having a
> > > go. You need copha to make Chocolate crackles and I don't think
> > > there is a substitute (but I also haven't read the rest of the
> > > thread). I had a giggle when the person said "are they really
> > > worth it? " They ARE really nice and so easy to make but if you
> > > have had to go to so much trouble to get copha, maybe they won't
> > > seem worth it in the end?

> > Hi Alanna!
> >
> > Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?

> Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco
> except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and
> Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room
> temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot
> in the US so there might be a market for Copha.

Thanks! I'd not heard of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:01:28 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:

>> > Hi Alanna!
>> >
>> > Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?

>> Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco
>> except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and
>> Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room
>> temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot
>> in the US so there might be a market for Copha.

>Thanks! I'd not heard of it.

The spelling is incorrect,

You could have googled it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco
>>> except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and
>>> Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room
>>> temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot
>>> in the US so there might be a market for Copha.

>>Thanks! I'd not heard of it.

>The spelling is incorrect,
>
>You could have googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 4:31:04 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:01:28 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >dsi1 wrote:

> >> Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco
> >> except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and
> >> Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room
> >> temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot
> >> in the US so there might be a market for Copha.

> >Thanks! I'd not heard of it.

> The spelling is incorrect,
>
> You could have googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

I learned about copra when I was a widdle boy in skool. It was dried coconut and the stuff was made by primitive, colonized, people. It seemed like a heck of a way to earn a living. Evidently, there was a need for dried coconut meat. I never learned what exactly copra was used for but there was some part in my text that mentioned soap. If you ask me, it's kind of an unpleasant product and why we were taught about copra at all is a mystery. Perhaps it was so that one day, I could write this post. Well, that's about all I got to say about copra.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Dec 2018, dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 4:31:04 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> > > Thanks! I'd not heard of it.

> > The spelling is incorrect,
> >
> > You could have googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

> I learned about copra when I was a widdle boy in skool. It was dried coconut
> and the stuff was made by primitive, colonized, people. It seemed like a heck
> of a way to earn a living. Evidently, there was a need for dried coconut
> meat. I never learned what exactly copra was used for but there was some part
> in my text that mentioned soap. If you ask me, it's kind of an unpleasant
> product and why we were taught about copra at all is a mystery. Perhaps it
> was so that one day, I could write this post. Well, that's about all I got to
> say about copra.

Hydrogenated fats are bad.

Im surprised this fact has not filtered through to the colonies.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...d-oil-bad-for-
you/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:26:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 4:31:04 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

>> >Thanks! I'd not heard of it.

>> The spelling is incorrect,
>>
>> You could have googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

>I learned about copra when I was a widdle boy in skool.
>It was dried coconut and the stuff was made by primitive,
>colonized, people. It seemed like a heck of a way to earn
>a living. Evidently, there was a need for dried coconut meat.
>I never learned what exactly copra was used for but there
>was some part in my text that mentioned soap. If you ask me,
>it's kind of an unpleasant product and why we were taught
>about copra at all is a mystery. Perhaps it was so that one day,
>I could write this post. Well, that's about all I got to say about copra.

Coconut palms are a very important crop, with all parts of the tree
being useful. The coconuts have many uses... copra is used
extensively in the confectionary industry.
https://www.fruit-crops.com/coconut-cocos-nucifera/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 5:55:00 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:26:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1 com>
> wrote:

> >> The spelling is incorrect,
> >>
> >> You could have googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

> >I learned about copra when I was a widdle boy in skool.
> >It was dried coconut and the stuff was made by primitive,
> >colonized, people. It seemed like a heck of a way to earn
> >a living. Evidently, there was a need for dried coconut meat.
> >I never learned what exactly copra was used for but there
> >was some part in my text that mentioned soap. If you ask me,
> >it's kind of an unpleasant product and why we were taught
> >about copra at all is a mystery. Perhaps it was so that one day,
> >I could write this post. Well, that's about all I got to say about copra..

> Coconut palms are a very important crop, with all parts of the tree
> being useful. The coconuts have many uses... copra is used
> extensively in the confectionary industry.
> https://www.fruit-crops.com/coconut-cocos-nucifera/

To me, copra has always been a crop of misery, poverty, and colonization - but then, I don't really know. Copra is probably an important product these days because of the boom in the popularity of coconut oil. My daughter buys a bunch of products with the stuff. I don't use them except for a coconut oil cooking spray. I'm doubtful that copra is used in candy making. Copra is nasty stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 11:37:44 PM UTC-10, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2018, dsi1 wrote
> (in >):

> > > The spelling is incorrect,
> > >
> > > You could have googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

> > I learned about copra when I was a widdle boy in skool. It was dried coconut
> > and the stuff was made by primitive, colonized, people. It seemed like a heck
> > of a way to earn a living. Evidently, there was a need for dried coconut
> > meat. I never learned what exactly copra was used for but there was some part
> > in my text that mentioned soap. If you ask me, it's kind of an unpleasant
> > product and why we were taught about copra at all is a mystery. Perhaps it
> > was so that one day, I could write this post. Well, that's about all I got to
> > say about copra.

> Hydrogenated fats are bad.
>
> Im surprised this fact has not filtered through to the colonies.
>
> https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...d-oil-bad-for-
> you/

I'm aware of what everybody says. If everybody says it, there's no need for me to repeat it. My main point is that Copha is a vegetable shortening similar to Crisco. Copra is not a hydrogenated fat - it's dried coconut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Dec 2018, dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 11:37:44 PM UTC-10, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
> wrote:
> > On 24 Dec 2018, dsi1 wrote
> > (in >):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copra

> > > I learned about copra when I was a widdle boy in skool. It was dried
> > > coconut
> > > and the stuff was made by primitive, colonized, people. It seemed like a
> > > heck
> > > of a way to earn a living. Evidently, there was a need for dried coconut
> > > meat. I never learned what exactly copra was used for but there was some
> > > part
> > > in my text that mentioned soap. If you ask me, it's kind of an unpleasant
> > > product and why we were taught about copra at all is a mystery. Perhaps it
> > > was so that one day, I could write this post. Well, that's about all I got
> > > say about copra.

> > Hydrogenated fats are bad.
> >
> > Im surprised this fact has not filtered through to the colonies.
> >
> > https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...d-oil-bad-for-
> > you/

> I'm aware of what everybody says.

Good.

I apologise for not realising I was communicating with God on earth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 11:30:22 AM UTC-10, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> > I'm aware of what everybody says.

> Good.
>
> I apologise for not realising I was communicating with God on earth.

I understand that you wanted to be the very first to inform me that hydrogenated oil was bad for people. That's unfortunate because "hydrogenated oil is bad" is pretty much a mantra on this newsgroup.

Sorry for being such a bear on Christmas eve but if someone says "hydrogenated oil is bad" with a link to a healthy living site to me one more time I shall have to smite them down with a Xmas lightning bolt of great vengeance. Thou hast been warned!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 11:30:22 AM UTC-10, Fruitiest of
> Fruitcakes wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm aware of what everybody says.

> > Good.
> >
> > I apologise for not realising I was communicating with God on earth.

> I understand that you wanted to be the very first to inform me that
> hydrogenated oil was bad for people. That's unfortunate because
> "hydrogenated oil is bad" is pretty much a mantra on this newsgroup.
>
> Sorry for being such a bear on Christmas eve but if someone says
> "hydrogenated oil is bad" with a link to a healthy living site to me
> one more time I shall have to smite them down with a Xmas lightning
> bolt of great vengeance. Thou hast been warned!

LOL! Merry Kalekamaka ds1

Not beating on you at all but there is a product I use fairly often and
seems it would fit your cookery as well? Virgin Coconut oil. It's a
solid at room temp but a very low melting point. I use it for Popcorn
and some other things where a little coconut flavor isn't miss (It's
not a super strong flavor). It does have a low smoke point so not
suitable for wok etc. high heat cooking. It's usually sold in a
widemouth tub.

My vet has me feed a ts a day to my elderly dog who has a slow
developing doggie alzheimers. No cure for that but it seems to help.
It's also good for her coat.
carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 8:54:51 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 11:30:22 AM UTC-10, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm aware of what everybody says.

> > Good.
> >
> > I apologise for not realising I was communicating with God on earth.

> I understand that you wanted to be the very first to inform me that hydrogenated oil was bad for people. That's unfortunate because "hydrogenated oil is bad" is pretty much a mantra on this newsgroup.
>
> Sorry for being such a bear on Christmas eve but if someone says "hydrogenated oil is bad" with a link to a healthy living site to me one more time I shall have to smite them down with a Xmas lightning bolt of great vengeance. Thou hast been warned!

Here you go:

<https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/art-20046114>

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2018 6:59 AM, cshenk wrote:

> Virgin Coconut oil. It's a
> solid at room temp but a very low melting point.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Orga...pectrum&th= 1

*****OR*****

https://tinyurl.com/ya2aqvvj

......for my pie crusts (also, buttter). Both are solid at room temp.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 12/25/2018 6:59 AM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Virgin Coconut oil. It's a
> > solid at room temp but a very low melting point.

> I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Orga...pectrum&th= 1

> OR
>
> https://tinyurl.com/ya2aqvvj
>
> .....for my pie crusts (also, buttter). Both are solid at room temp.
>

> nb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DS842HS

Thats more what I use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 3:59:13 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > Good.
> > >
> > > I apologise for not realising I was communicating with God on earth.

> > I understand that you wanted to be the very first to inform me that
> > hydrogenated oil was bad for people. That's unfortunate because
> > "hydrogenated oil is bad" is pretty much a mantra on this newsgroup.
> >
> > Sorry for being such a bear on Christmas eve but if someone says
> > "hydrogenated oil is bad" with a link to a healthy living site to me
> > one more time I shall have to smite them down with a Xmas lightning
> > bolt of great vengeance. Thou hast been warned!

> LOL! Merry Kalekamaka ds1
>
> Not beating on you at all but there is a product I use fairly often and
> seems it would fit your cookery as well? Virgin Coconut oil. It's a
> solid at room temp but a very low melting point. I use it for Popcorn
> and some other things where a little coconut flavor isn't miss (It's
> not a super strong flavor). It does have a low smoke point so not
> suitable for wok etc. high heat cooking. It's usually sold in a
> widemouth tub.
>
> My vet has me feed a ts a day to my elderly dog who has a slow
> developing doggie alzheimers. No cure for that but it seems to help.
> It's also good for her coat.
> carol

I use the cheapest oil that's available, which would be palm/soybean oil. Coconut oil would probably work fine except that it's too expensive. It is a very attractive oil - low viscosity with a clear and clean water white color. We have a jar of the stuff but I've never used it for cooking. My daughter uses it for cooking and mixing up facial scrubs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 06:31:53 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>> > Good.
>> >
>> > I apologise for not realising I was communicating with God on earth.

>> I understand that you wanted to be the very first to inform me that hydrogenated oil was bad for people. That's unfortunate because "hydrogenated oil is bad" is pretty much a mantra on this newsgroup.
>>
>> Sorry for being such a bear on Christmas eve but if someone says "hydrogenated oil is bad" with a link to a healthy living site to me one more time I shall have to smite them down with a Xmas lightning bolt of great vengeance. Thou hast been warned!

>Here you go:
>
><https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/art-20046114>

Allow me to add to that:
<https://www.ecowatch.com/why-is-palm-oil-so-bad-1881907014.html>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 12/25/2018 6:59 AM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Virgin Coconut oil. It's a
> > solid at room temp but a very low melting point.

> I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Orga...pectrum&th= 1

> OR
>
> https://tinyurl.com/ya2aqvvj
>
> .....for my pie crusts (also, buttter). Both are solid at room temp.
>

> nb

Like all here, I have some cooks fails. Pastry is one of them (Pie
crusts definately).

Ah well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> Hi Alanna!
>>>
>>> Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?

>>Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco
>>except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and
>>Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room temperatures
>>and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot in the US so
>>there might be a market for Copha.

> I wonder if that means it's transfat, the only fat everybody agrees is
> bad for you. Even the kooks agree.

Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated are both bad. Not sure what
Chocolate Crinkles are but I have made cookies with that name. I likely used
margarine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 00:36:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:02:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>>Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco
>>>except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and
>>>Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room temperatures
>>>and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot in the US so
>>>there might be a market for Copha.

>> I wonder if that means it's transfat, the only fat everybody agrees is
>> bad for you. Even the kooks agree.

>Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated are both bad. Not sure what
>Chocolate Crinkles are but I have made cookies with that name. I likely used
>margarine.

Denmark has banned transfats.