Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nantucket Pie

I have wanted to make Nantucket Pie ever since I first heard about it,
but haven't because I'm the only person in this household who likes
cranberries. However, it just occurred to me that I could use any
fruit or berry. Not sure if it would still be called "Nantucket", but
I'm wondering if anyone here does a variation on the theme?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...r-red-october/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:44:27 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> I have wanted to make Nantucket Pie ever since I first heard about it,
>
> but haven't because I'm the only person in this household who likes
>
> cranberries. However, it just occurred to me that I could use any
>
> fruit or berry. Not sure if it would still be called "Nantucket", but
>
> I'm wondering if anyone here does a variation on the theme?
>

> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...r-red-october/
>

> --
>
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

LOve cranberries - I could eat a whole can of the jellied type as a treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:00:58 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:44:27 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> I have wanted to make Nantucket Pie ever since I first heard about it,
>>
>> but haven't because I'm the only person in this household who likes
>>
>> cranberries. However, it just occurred to me that I could use any
>>
>> fruit or berry. Not sure if it would still be called "Nantucket", but
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone here does a variation on the theme?
>>

>> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...r-red-october/
>>

>> --
>>
>> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

>Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.
>
>LOve cranberries - I could eat a whole can of the jellied type as a treat.

If you love cranberries, then you'll love Nantucket pie. Here's how I
make it.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ucket-pie.html

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shrimp & Sausage Gravy over Biscuits (WAS: Nantucket Pie)

On 9/17/2014 11:00 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

Would this be of any help?

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/shri...kfast-Dish.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/n5dy6y9

I had this dish served over petite biscuits while attending an outdoor
concert. Delicious! When we got home I had to hunt down a recipe so I
could replicate it. Sorry, it's definitely not from Nantucket. You
could add crab, scallops, whatever.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:24:30 -0700, koko > wrote:

> If you love cranberries, then you'll love Nantucket pie. Here's how I
> make it.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ucket-pie.html

Have you ever tried it with any other fruit or berry?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:44:45 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:24:30 -0700, koko > wrote:
>
>> If you love cranberries, then you'll love Nantucket pie. Here's how I
>> make it.
>>
>> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ucket-pie.html

>Have you ever tried it with any other fruit or berry?

No I haven't.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:34:01 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/17/2014 11:00 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>

> > Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

> Would this be of any help?
>

> http://fishcooking.about.com/od/shri...kfast-Dish.htm
>

> or
>

> http://tinyurl.com/n5dy6y9
>

> I had this dish served over petite biscuits while attending an outdoor
>
> concert. Delicious! When we got home I had to hunt down a recipe so I
>
> could replicate it. Sorry, it's definitely not from Nantucket. You
>
> could add crab, scallops, whatever.
>

> Jill

Thanks for that recipe Jill...I love shrimp and it looks very interesting.
=======
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:34:01 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/17/2014 11:00 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>

> > Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

> Would this be of any help?
>

> http://fishcooking.about.com/od/shri...kfast-Dish.htm
>

> or
>

> http://tinyurl.com/n5dy6y9
>

> I had this dish served over petite biscuits while attending an outdoor
>
> concert. Delicious! When we got home I had to hunt down a recipe so I
>
> could replicate it. Sorry, it's definitely not from Nantucket. You
>
> could add crab, scallops, whatever.
>

> Jill

I like shrimp and I like sausage gravy, but together? Well, I'm open to trying something different, so I'll give it a try. Tanks.

I used to get something in a New England resto called a Seafood Pie that was wuuuunderful. I am SURE there was sherry in the white sauce. Mmmmm. Of course, all the restos have gotten skimpy with the lahbstah.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 12:45 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:34:01 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/17/2014 11:00 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>

>>> Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

>> Would this be of any help?
>>

>> http://fishcooking.about.com/od/shri...kfast-Dish.htm
>>

>> or
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/n5dy6y9
>>

>> I had this dish served over petite biscuits while attending an outdoor
>> concert. Delicious! When we got home I had to hunt down a recipe so I
>> could replicate it. Sorry, it's definitely not from Nantucket. You
>> could add crab, scallops, whatever.
>>

>> Jill

> Thanks for that recipe Jill...I love shrimp and it looks very interesting.
> =======

It's very tasty and doesn't just have to be for breakfast.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2014 1:16 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:34:01 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/17/2014 11:00 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>

>>> Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce, served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab, scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

>> Would this be of any help?
>>
>> http://fishcooking.about.com/od/shri...kfast-Dish.htm
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/n5dy6y9
>>

>> I had this dish served over petite biscuits while attending an outdoor
>> concert. Delicious! When we got home I had to hunt down a recipe so I
>> could replicate it. Sorry, it's definitely not from Nantucket. You
>> could add crab, scallops, whatever.
>>
>> Jill

> I like shrimp and I like sausage gravy, but together?

It's not the *white* (milk or cream) sausage gravy you're thinking of.

>Well, I'm open to trying something different, so I'll give it a try. Tanks.

You're welcome.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Darn - I thought this was going to be some kind of seafood in a thick sauce,
> served deep dish style over biscuits or sumthin. I'm picturing some crab,
> scallops, shrimp.....maybe some white fish.

This is exquisite over rice, especially over fly lice.
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5...-lobster-sauce