Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Soylent Revolution Will Not Be Pleasurable

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/te...e.html?hp&_r=0

The Soylent Revolution Will Not Be Pleasurable

MAY 28, 2014

Farhad Manjoo

I just spent more than a week experiencing Soylent, the most joyless new
technology to hit the world since we first laid eyes on MS-DOS.

Soylent is a drink mix invented by a group of engineers who harbor
ambitions of shaking up the global food business. Robert Rhinehart, the
25-year-old co-founder and chief executive of the firm selling the
drink, hit upon the idea when he found himself spending too much time
and money searching for nutritious meals while he was working on a
wireless-tech start-up in San Francisco. Using a process Mr. Rhinehart
calls scientific, the firm claims to have mixed a cornucopia of
supplements to form a technologically novel food that offers the
complete set of nutrients the human body needs for survival.

You can live on Soylent alone, Mr. Rhinehart claims, though in practice
he said customers would most likely use it to replace just their staple
meals, by which he meant most of the junk you eat every day to fill
yourself up. Mr. Rhinehart argued that Soylent, which costs about $3 per
serving, is cheaper, easier to prepare and more nutritious than much of
the food that makes up the typical American officer workers diet today.
Photo
Robert Rhinehart spent months living on nothing but Soylent and claims
it improved his health.

About a week and a half ago, I began drinking Soylent every day. I cant
recommend that you do the same. For a purported breakthrough with such
grand plans for reshaping the food industry, I found Soylent to be a
punishingly boring, joyless product. From the plain white packaging to
the purposefully bland, barely sweet flavor to the motel-carpet beige
hue of the drink itself, everything about Soylent screams function, not
fun. It may offer complete nourishment, but only at the expense of the
aesthetic and emotional pleasures many of us crave in food.

And although the drink is tastier than its horror sci-fi name implies,
the whole idea of replacing lots of your meals with the same stuff day
after day is a nightmarish prospect. It suggests that Soylents creators
have forgotten a basic ingredient found in successful tech products, not
to mention in most good foods. That ingredient is delight.

Most whiz-bang technologies dont sell themselves on function alone;
theyve got to offer pleasure, too. My favorite recent example is the
ride-sharing service Uber. Sure, hailing a cab on your phone is more
convenient than waiting for one on a street corner. But thats not the
main reason people love Uber. They love it because Uber lets you feel
like the boss: A car rushes to pick you up, and when it drops you off,
you jump out without ever reaching for your wallet, as if you own the
town. Uber isnt using technology to sell convenience. Its selling
addictive thrills. Its selling joy.
Continue reading the main story
Whats in Soylent?

There are over 30 listed ingredients in the shake. The vast majority of
it is carbohydrates, fats and protein:
Primary Ingredients

Over half is made up of oat flour and maltodextrin, a starchy
substance that comes from corn.
About a quarter is protein derived from brown rice.
A significant portion is also made up of fatty acids that come from
canola and fish oils.

Supplementary Ingredients

The shake includes several vitamin and mineral supplements, like vitamin
C, zinc, potassium and calcium, plus small amounts of more surprising ones:

Copper, which works with iron to help the body form red blood cells.
Iodine, which helps the body metabolize nutrients.

Sources: Soylent, National Institutes of Health

Besides offering no joy, Soylent presented other troubles. For much of
the time I used it, Soylent produced gastrointestinal symptoms ranging
from mildly irritating to perilous. Judging by other users online
descriptions of my experiences, my guts reaction wasnt unusual, but
Mr. Rhinehart said it was likely to be temporary, the result of my body
adjusting to the government-recommended amount of fiber in Soylent.

I believe him, but there are still questions about Soylents
healthfulness. Though Mr. Rhinehart spent months living on nothing but
Soylent and claims it improved his health, the firm has not performed
any large-scale studies to show that drinking Soylent over an extended
period of time is good for you, or even that its not bad for you. Mr.
Rhinehart said the firm was conducting a large study, but he declined to
divulge any details or a timeline for when it might post results.

Soylents biggest failing, though, is its stultifying utilitarianism.
Even Mr. Rhinehart describes Soylent mainly in terms of its functional
promise. The most important aspect of this product is simplicity, he
told me. Were trying to abstract away the complexity. Heres this
drink that has everything you need, so if its your go-to meal, you
dont have to worry about anything else.
Photo
Credit Stuart Goldenberg

But there is something troubling about the notion of a go-to meal.
During the last week and a half, I consumed Soylent for most, but not
all, of my meals. There were a couple of days when more than 90 percent
of my calories came from the powder. At first, as Mr. Rhinehart
promised, I did find Soylent to be extremely convenient. It alleviated
some of the stress I often feel when Im pressed for time on a busy
workday and need to find something healthy to eat.

That feeling faded. The longer I used it, the more Soylent began to feel
like a chore. I began to yearn for the mechanics of solid meals
chewing, swallowing, using my hands and silverware and experiencing a
variety of textures and temperatures. I missed crunchy foods, salty
foods, noisy foods and hot foods. (Soylent, like revenge, is best served
cold.)

Most of all, I missed variety. Soylents instructions suggested adding
peanut butter, fruit, vanilla extract or other flavorings to the drink.
I did, but still, Soylent tasted pretty much the same from day to day
like gritty, thinned-down pancake batter, inoffensive and dull.

Mr. Rhinehart offered a canny defense for the criticism that Soylent is
leaching the joy out of food. Obviously theres a lot more to food than
nutrition, he said. We dont expect people to live on this entirely.
In fact, we think this elevates food into more of a leisure activity.
You can go out with your friends or family, and if your default, staple
meal is very healthy and sustainable and balanced, you can enjoy your
other meals even more, because you dont have to worry about how healthy
they are.

But as soon as I began using Soylent, it dawned on me that Mr.
Rhineharts entire premise of dividing food into staple meals and
leisure meals was suspect.

Its true that people sometimes eat meals that are mainly for sustenance
(cheap frozen dinners, dried ramen, corn dogs) and other times were
looking mostly for pleasure (72-hour short ribs). But I suspect that
most of the time, for most meals, we want both sustenance and pleasure.

Soylents fatal flaw is that it cant offer both. It optimizes for total
sustenance at the expense of any pleasure. So while the drink might be
nutritionally preferable to eating a diet of pizza, ramen and frozen
dinners, I doubt it would be more pleasurable than doing so. Theres a
lot of variety in pizza and ramen (try each with a fried egg). Soylent,
meanwhile, will always be just the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> But as soon as I began using Soylent, it dawned on me that Mr. Rhineharts
> entire premise of dividing food into staple meals and leisure meals
> was suspect.
>
> Its true that people sometimes eat meals that are mainly for sustenance
> (cheap frozen dinners, dried ramen, corn dogs) and other times were
> looking mostly for pleasure (72-hour short ribs). But I suspect that most
> of the time, for most meals, we want both sustenance and pleasure.
>
> Soylents fatal flaw is that it cant offer both. It optimizes for total
> sustenance at the expense of any pleasure. So while the drink might be
> nutritionally preferable to eating a diet of pizza, ramen and frozen
> dinners, I doubt it would be more pleasurable than doing so. Theres a lot
> of variety in pizza and ramen (try each with a fried egg). Soylent,
> meanwhile, will always be just the same.

I can see how this could be useful in some situations, but...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:30:53 -0400, Travis McGee
> wrote:

> I found Soylent to be a
> punishingly boring, joyless product. From the plain white packaging to
> the purposefully bland, barely sweet flavor to the motel-carpet beige
> hue of the drink itself, everything about Soylent screams function, not
> fun. It may offer complete nourishment, but only at the expense of the
> aesthetic and emotional pleasures many of us crave in food.

"Some eat to live; others live to eat."

I suspect Mr Manjoo of being a foodie, even if only a closet one.

>Even Mr. Rhinehart describes Soylent mainly in terms of its functional
>promise. The most important aspect of this product is simplicity, he
>told me. Were trying to abstract away the complexity. Heres this
>drink that has everything you need, so if its your go-to meal, you
>dont have to worry about anything else.

I showed this to my wife. She wants to know where she can sign up and
her next question was "Do they offer it in pill form?"

--
Anne's Little Brother Bob

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

>they are.
>
>But as soon as I began using Soylent, it dawned on me that Mr.
>Rhineharts entire premise of dividing food into staple meals and
>leisure meals was suspect.
>
>Its true that people sometimes eat meals that are mainly for sustenance
>(cheap frozen dinners, dried ramen, corn dogs) and other times were
>looking mostly for pleasure (72-hour short ribs). But I suspect that
>most of the time, for most meals, we want both sustenance and pleasure.
>
>Soylents fatal flaw is that it cant offer both. It optimizes for total
>sustenance at the expense of any pleasure. So while the drink might be
>nutritionally preferable to eating a diet of pizza, ramen and frozen
>dinners, I doubt it would be more pleasurable than doing so. Theres a
>lot of variety in pizza and ramen (try each with a fried egg). Soylent,
>meanwhile, will always be just the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:30:53 -0400, Travis McGee
> > wrote:
>
>> I found Soylent to be a
>> punishingly boring, joyless product. From the plain white packaging
>> to the purposefully bland, barely sweet flavor to the motel-carpet
>> beige hue of the drink itself, everything about Soylent screams
>> function, not fun. It may offer complete nourishment, but only at the
>> expense of the aesthetic and emotional pleasures many of us crave in
>> food.

> "Some eat to live; others live to eat."

Some of us live for pleasure, while others are merely pleased to be alive.

> I suspect Mr Manjoo of being a foodie, even if only a closet one.
>
>>Even Mr. Rhinehart describes Soylent mainly in terms of its functional
>>promise. The most important aspect of this product is
>>simplicity, he told me. Were trying to abstract away the
>>complexity. Heres this drink that has everything you need, so if
>>its your go-to meal, you dont have to worry about anything
>>else.

> I showed this to my wife. She wants to know where she can sign up and
> her next question was "Do they offer it in pill form?"

Folks who feel that way about food tend to extend that mindset to other
pleasures as well. Maybe you need a girlfriend.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 13:24:12 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"

:

>> On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:30:53 -0400, Travis McGee
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I found Soylent to be a
>>> punishingly boring, joyless product. From the plain white packaging
>>> to the purposefully bland, barely sweet flavor to the motel-carpet
>>> beige hue of the drink itself, everything about Soylent screams
>>> function, not fun. It may offer complete nourishment, but only at the
>>> expense of the aesthetic and emotional pleasures many of us crave in
>>> food.

>> "Some eat to live; others live to eat."
>>

>Some of us live for pleasure, while others are merely pleased to be alive.
>>
>> I suspect Mr Manjoo of being a foodie, even if only a closet one.
>>
>>>Even Mr. Rhinehart describes Soylent mainly in terms of its functional
>>>promise. The most important aspect of this product is
>>>simplicity,? he told me. Were trying to abstract away the
>>>complexity. Heres this drink that has everything you need, so if
>>>its your go-to meal, you dont have to worry about anything
>>>else.?

>> I showed this to my wife. She wants to know where she can sign up and
>> her next question was "Do they offer it in pill form?"
>>

>Folks who feel that way about food tend to extend that mindset to other
>pleasures as well. Maybe you need a girlfriend.

Why do you feel everyone else should be and do as you do?

Oh, that's right! Undiagnosed or treated Narcisstic Personality
Disorder!!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20025568

Get psychiatric help, Bryan!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> [...]
> > entire premise of dividing food into staple meals and leisure meals
> > was suspect.
> >
> > Its true that people sometimes eat meals that are mainly for sustenance
> > (cheap frozen dinners, dried ramen, corn dogs) and other times were
> > looking mostly for pleasure (72-hour short ribs). But I suspect that most
> > of the time, for most meals, we want both sustenance and pleasure.
> >
> > Soylents fatal flaw is that it cant offer both. It optimizes for total
> > sustenance at the expense of any pleasure. So while the drink might be
> > nutritionally preferable to eating a diet of pizza, ramen and frozen
> > dinners, I doubt it would be more pleasurable than doing so. Theres a lot
> > of variety in pizza and ramen (try each with a fried egg). Soylent,
> > meanwhile, will always be just the same.

> I can see how this could be useful in some situations, but...

is situations your husbands name?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:29:45 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]

> > entire premise of dividing food into �staple meals� and �leisure meals�

> > was suspect.

> > It�s true that people sometimes eat meals that are mainly for sustenance

> > (cheap frozen dinners, dried ramen, corn dogs) and other times we�re

> > looking mostly for pleasure (72-hour short ribs). But I suspect that most

> > of the time, for most meals, we want both sustenance and pleasure.

> > Soylent�s fatal flaw is that it can�t offer both. It optimizes for total

> > sustenance at the expense of any pleasure. So while the drink might be

> > nutritionally preferable to eating a diet of pizza, ramen and frozen

> > dinners, I doubt it would be more pleasurable than doing so. There�s a lot

> > of variety in pizza and ramen (try each with a fried egg). Soylent,

> > meanwhile, will always be just the same.

> I can see how this could be useful in some situations, but...

I can see how this could be useful for a joyless ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:59:06 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 13:24:12 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >Opinicus > wrote in

> :

> >> On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:30:53 -0400, Travis McGee

> >> "Some eat to live; others live to eat."

> >Some of us live for pleasure, while others are merely pleased to be alive.

> >> I suspect Mr Manjoo of being a foodie, even if only a closet one.

> >> I showed this to my wife. She wants to know where she can sign up and

> >> her next question was "Do they offer it in pill form?"

> >Folks who feel that way about food tend to extend that mindset to other

> >pleasures as well. Maybe you need a girlfriend.

> Why do you feel everyone else should be and do as you do?
>

> Oh, that's right! Undiagnosed or treated Narcisstic Personality
>
> Disorder!!
>

> http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20025568
>

> Get psychiatric help, Bryan!
>

> John Kuthe...

No, it's because he's "UPPPPITTAAAAAAAAAY"! Snork!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I can see how this could be useful in some situations, but...

I have here a half dozen Datrex brand emergency rations, scientifically
designed to give one all the vitamins and minerals one needs to survive,
along with carbs, fats, and protein. It's basically vitamins, flour,
sugar, and coconut. They are shelf-stable for many years, come in a
durable wrapper, and can be packed easily. I will be putting 5 of them
into my car and the last one will go into the day pack.

I would rather eat a Datrex food bar than some drink concocted by an
engineer. These types of folks are trying to convince us that self-driving
cars are the wave of the future, that a nutri-shake is what we will eat,
and so forth. Killjoys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 10:30 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/te...e.html?hp&_r=0
>

> The Soylent Revolution Will Not Be Pleasurable
>
> MAY 28, 2014
>
> Farhad Manjoo
>
> I just spent more than a week experiencing Soylent, the most joyless new
> technology to hit the world since we first laid eyes on MS-DOS.
>
> Soylent is a drink mix invented by a group of engineers

Must be the same engineers who design crappy kitchens. :-D

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 20:29:45 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Julie Bove"
> wrote,
>
>I can see how this could be useful in some situations, but...

Quoted 150 lines in order to add HALF of a sentence.
Is that a new record?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:00:50 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:59:06 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 May 2014 13:24:12 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >Opinicus > wrote in

>> :

>> >Some of us live for pleasure, while others are merely pleased to be alive.

>> >Folks who feel that way about food tend to extend that mindset to other

>> >pleasures as well. Maybe you need a girlfriend.

>> Why do you feel everyone else should be and do as you do?
>>

>> Oh, that's right! Undiagnosed or treated Narcisstic Personality
>>
>> Disorder!!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20025568

>> Get psychiatric help, Bryan!
>>

>> John Kuthe...

>No, it's because he's "UPPPPITTAAAAAAAAAY"! Snork!!!

I know. Part of Bryan's neurosis is he thinks he's smarter than the
psychiatrists! Makes treatment very difficult. I didn't want to go on
medication at first for my Bipolar Disorder, but I figured what the
heck, I've taken a lot of different drugs and one more might herlp me,
and it did! Profoundly so! Glad I took the chance!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:00:50 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:59:06 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>>> On Thu, 29 May 2014 13:24:12 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"

>>> :

>>> Why do you feel everyone else should be and do as you do?
>>>

>>> Oh, that's right! Undiagnosed or treated Narcisstic Personality
>>>
>>> Disorder!!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c.../narcissistic-

personalit
>>> y-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568
>>>

>>> Get psychiatric help, Bryan!
>>>

>>> John Kuthe...

>>No, it's because he's "UPPPPITTAAAAAAAAAY"! Snork!!!

> I know. Part of Bryan's neurosis is he thinks he's smarter than the
> psychiatrists! Makes treatment very difficult. I didn't want to go on
> medication at first for my Bipolar Disorder, but I figured what the
> heck, I've taken a lot of different drugs and one more might herlp me,
> and it did! Profoundly so! Glad I took the chance!

Aww. It's so nice that I could bring you two together. Nursie boy
love.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts
You're admitting that there must be something wrong.
-The Who https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSZhCKbQZc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 02:33:18 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"
>Aww. It's so nice that I could bring you two together. Nursie boy
>love.

ROFL! Look at Mr pro-sex, pro-feminism, anti-homophobe making a
juvenile hobophobic stab at my medical profession!!

At least I HAVE a profession! All YOU have is a job! A menial job that
requires NO training or education at that! Janitor-boy! ;-)

Get therapy Bryan! You need it.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in
:

> hobophobic

Hobos ARE scary.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts
You're admitting that there must be something wrong.
-The Who https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSZhCKbQZc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Get therapy Bryan! You need it.

So do you, John. Bryan's life is not your problem and you're just
stalking him here. Don't say that you care about an old friend. If you
really do care about him just leave him alone and move on with your
own life.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> Get therapy Bryan! You need it.

> So do you, John. Bryan's life is not your problem and you're just
> stalking him here. Don't say that you care about an old friend. If you
> really do care about him just leave him alone and move on with your
> own life.

Agreed.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> Get therapy Bryan! You need it.

> So do you, John. Bryan's life is not your problem and you're just
> stalking him here. Don't say that you care about an old friend. If you
> really do care about him just leave him alone and move on with your
> own life.

Gary, I'm replying to your post, though I read Ophelia's seconding. (she
has me KF'd)

I am initiating a complaint against John. For months I have stalled,
moving slowly, but next week I'm meeting with a nurse who is going to
assist me in filing the complaint. Medical professionals are not allowed
to use their status as medical professionals to stalk and harass.

--
--Bryan
You can cover up your guts, but when you cover up your nuts
You're admitting that there must be something wrong.
-The Who https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FSZhCKbQZc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 30, 2014 9:19:23 PM UTC-4, --Bryan wrote:
> Gary > wrote in :
>

> > John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Get therapy Bryan! You need it.

> > So do you, John. Bryan's life is not your problem and you're just

> > stalking him here. Don't say that you care about an old friend. If you

> > really do care about him just leave him alone and move on with your

> > own life.

> Gary, I'm replying to your post, though I read Ophelia's seconding. (she
>
> has me KF'd)
>

> I am initiating a complaint against John. For months I have stalled,
>
> moving slowly, but next week I'm meeting with a nurse who is going to
>
> assist me in filing the complaint. Medical professionals are not allowed
>
> to use their status as medical professionals to stalk and harass.

When I was in Colombian Prison(exporting endangered species), I put in a complaint against the head nurse of the Psychiatric Ward. Needless to say, the complaint didn't get me anywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I am initiating a complaint against John. For months I have stalled,
>
> moving slowly, but next week I'm meeting with a nurse who is going to
>
> assist me in filing the complaint. Medical professionals are not allowed
>
> to use their status as medical professionals to stalk and harass.

Oh come on now. I think both you guys are pretty funny. Funny in a good way.