Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ppl buying more good food.

That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much more,
but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't get it
fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry grass fed
beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed rib-eyes. Gotta
try those. Also, I'm seeing organic produce dropping in price and
getting to be only a tad more than the tasteless agribiz bunk.

Give organic a try. Not always better, but more often than not, it
has flavor you've not tasted in yrs, regardless of how sad it may
look. I jes bought some organic cabbage. Small and ugly heads, but
I'm hoping it doesn't have the horrid chemical taste that last head of
agribunk cabbage I steamed. I tossed it all. Yuk.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:47:30 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
>
> out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
>
> breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much more,
>
> but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't get it
>
> fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry grass fed
>
> beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed rib-eyes. Gotta
>
> try those. Also, I'm seeing organic produce dropping in price and
>
> getting to be only a tad more than the tasteless agribiz bunk.
>

> Give organic a try. Not always better, but more often than not, it
>
> has flavor you've not tasted in yrs, regardless of how sad it may
>
> look. I jes bought some organic cabbage. Small and ugly heads, but
>
> I'm hoping it doesn't have the horrid chemical taste that last head of
>
> agribunk cabbage I steamed. I tossed it all. Yuk.

I the the public is finally waking up to what is REALLY in the big ag food they see in the supermarkets. Yes organic and grass fed costs more, which is stupid, but more and more people are willing to pay to eat clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
> out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
> breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much more,
> but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't get it
> fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry grass fed
> beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed rib-eyes.

I don't like the taste of grass fed as well. When I was a kid, the ideal
was grass fed until 2-3 weeks before slaughter, when they were corn fed to
improve flavor. Corn fed on a farm, not a crowded feedlot.

--
--Bryan

"Happy ****ing 'new years' that was when me and my father
had to identify her dead mud covered body they pulled from
the family car she'd driven into the Mississippi river!"
--John Kuthe in rec.food.cooking, 3-7-2014
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
> out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
> breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much more,
> but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't get it
> fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry grass fed
> beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed rib-eyes. Gotta
> try those. Also, I'm seeing organic produce dropping in price and
> getting to be only a tad more than the tasteless agribiz bunk.
>
> Give organic a try. Not always better, but more often than not, it
> has flavor you've not tasted in yrs, regardless of how sad it may
> look. I jes bought some organic cabbage. Small and ugly heads, but
> I'm hoping it doesn't have the horrid chemical taste that last head of
> agribunk cabbage I steamed. I tossed it all. Yuk.
>
> nb

Organic is a big thing here. So much so that most stores have been carrying
it for years. I do try to buy organic meats, grass fed beef, etc. most of
the time.

I did used to buy organic produce all of the time but... I stopped! Now I
may or may not buy organic. Why? Because I realized that despite someone
taking care not to use chemicals on their crops, those chemicals are in the
air and water. So they're going to get in there anyway. At least some of
them are. And if it's something you'd peel like a banana, the fruit is fine
even if not organic.

When I got organic CSA boxes all the time, there was often cabbage in there.
But it was so bitter that we couldn't eat it. The celery was sometimes
inedible too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-15, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Yes organic and grass fed costs more, which is stupid,

Why do you say that? It takes approx 2 yrs to raise a steer to be as
big as a feedlot steer gets in jes months. That extra yr is cost to
the rancher. I can see higher cost. We pay insane $$$$ to buy cars
and lodging, but less than any country on Earth to eat. Why?
Subsidized agribiz putting out crap food.

> but more and more people are willing to pay to eat clean.

Agree. Megabiz is so busy dumping jillions of tons of toxic chemicals
in our environment, food my be our last chance to control how we are
effected. Sad, but true.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:47:08 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
.. Why? Because I realized that despite someone

> taking care not to use chemicals on their crops, those chemicals are in the
>
> air and water. So they're going to get in there anyway. At least some of
>
> them are. And if it's something you'd peel like a banana, the fruit is fine
>
> even if not organic.

Very flawed reasoning. But, you go ahead and eat those poisons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 21:38:23 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"
> wrote:

> notbob > wrote in
> :
>

> > That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
> > out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
> > breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much more,
> > but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't get it
> > fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry grass fed
> > beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed rib-eyes.
> >

> I don't like the taste of grass fed as well. When I was a kid, the ideal
> was grass fed until 2-3 weeks before slaughter, when they were corn fed to
> improve flavor. Corn fed on a farm, not a crowded feedlot.

Yes, I remember that too. I think that's why corn fed became so
popular. All this other stuff just kind of snuck up on the general
public while they weren't paying attention.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
>> out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
>> breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much more,
>> but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't get it
>> fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry grass fed
>> beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed rib-eyes.
>>

>I don't like the taste of grass fed as well. When I was a kid, the ideal
>was grass fed until 2-3 weeks before slaughter, when they were corn fed to
>improve flavor. Corn fed on a farm, not a crowded feedlot.
>>
>> nb

Where "on the farm" did you live before your family moved to
Crestwood, Bryan? I've only known you since high school.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:47:08 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> . Why? Because I realized that despite someone
>>
>> taking care not to use chemicals on their crops, those chemicals are in
>> the
>>
>> air and water. So they're going to get in there anyway. At least some
>> of
>>
>> them are. And if it's something you'd peel like a banana, the fruit is
>> fine
>>
>> even if not organic.
>>

> Very flawed reasoning. But, you go ahead and eat those poisons.

Actually not. Studies have proven this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2014 8:47 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:47:08 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> . Why? Because I realized that despite someone
>>>
>>> taking care not to use chemicals on their crops, those chemicals are
>>> in the
>>>
>>> air and water. So they're going to get in there anyway. At least
>>> some of
>>>
>>> them are. And if it's something you'd peel like a banana, the fruit
>>> is fine
>>>
>>> even if not organic.
>>>

>> Very flawed reasoning. But, you go ahead and eat those poisons.

> Actually not. Studies have proven this.

Bovine needs to provide citations instead of just saying "studies have
proven" whatever - yeah - right !!!! Just more of its hot air blown in
the wind - again - until bovine provides proven citations, if ever.

Sky

Food - that omelet sounds better and better now Ham, swiss & chives!
Yummy - hehehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in
:

:

>>> That's twice, now, I've gone down to the mkt and found they are sold
>>> out of a certain organic food. Last week it was organic chicken
>>> breasts and today it was grass fed hamburger. Yes, it cost much
>>> more, but it's flying off the shelves. The meat mgr sez they can't
>>> get it fast enough. Which is a surprise, as they didn't even carry
>>> grass fed beef 6 mos ago. Safeway is now carrying grass fed
>>> rib-eyes.
>>>

>>I don't like the taste of grass fed as well. When I was a kid, the
>>ideal was grass fed until 2-3 weeks before slaughter, when they were
>>corn fed to improve flavor. Corn fed on a farm, not a crowded
>>feedlot.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

> Where "on the farm" did you live before your family moved to
> Crestwood, Bryan? I've only known you since high school.

I didn't write "corn fed on *our* farm," but for the first almost 5
years, I lived in this house.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/33...-Dr-Eureka-MO-
63025/49700165_zpid/
We also owned the two parcels north of the property, but subdivided this
one off before I was born.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20...pgs-Eureka-MO-
63025/49696696_zpid/
The one without a house on it was our horse field where we had 2 horses.
This was Harry Hoene's house. Notice the farm to the north.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32...y-W-Eureka-MO-
63025/49696669_zpid/

The Summer before kindergarten, we moved to Fenton, and I went to Fenton
Elementary, which was where the KFC is now. At a later point, my
asshole father owned a furniture store, Towne Furniture,in the strip
mall just to the west of the school. It's bizarre that there's still a
listing for the place, as it hasn't existed for at least 15 years.
http://www.hoovers.com/company-information/cs/company-
profile.Towne_Furniture__Carpeting.6b8dbc3fd4d651b 1.html

There. That's more than anyone wanted to know.

--
--Bryan

"Happy ****ing 'new years' that was when me and my father
had to identify her dead mud covered body they pulled from
the family car she'd driven into the Mississippi river!"
--John Kuthe in rec.food.cooking, 3-7-2014
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Winters_Lackey wrote:

> notbob wrote: Organic food is also not synonymous with The Cars
> > Greatest Hits. What's yer point?
> >

> My god The Cars sucked.

That doesn't say much about the Bonobo's reputation (or lack of it).

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> Winters_Lackey wrote:
>>
>> notbob wrote: Organic food is also not synonymous with The Cars
>> > Greatest Hits. What's yer point?
>> >

>> My god The Cars sucked.

> That doesn't say much about the Bonobo's reputation (or lack of it).

It doesn't say *anything* about it. The Cars sucked. There were exciting
things happening in Rock'n Roll in the late 1970s, especially in NYC.
Boston, on the other hand, has always just taken a dump on Rock'n Roll.
Same with Washinton D.C. I can't think of one example of non-suck-ass from
either city.

--
--Bryan

"Happy ****ing 'new years' that was when me and my father
had to identify her dead mud covered body they pulled from
the family car she'd driven into the Mississippi river!"
--John Kuthe in rec.food.cooking, 3-7-2014
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I agree, Bob. I'm a wild food purveyor in NY and there is a big difference in taste, quality and price. Due to the huge interest in clean, local food more people are buying more of the local inventory, in addition to the chef's that have been getting the first picks from local farms for years now, there has been a supply squeeze for the individual.

-Nick