Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Considering buying a food saver

I am considering buying a food saver simply because I hate the way
food loses flavor when freezed.
I have too much food (cooked food) now; I can'tossibly finish them in
5 days. And my fridn might give me one of the catches he will get
going boating tomorrow.

I am sure that there are thread talking about food saver but if anyone
knows the newer model, please share info.

I am looking for something that works well that are the cheapest
price for that quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 1:16*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> I am considering buying a food saver simply because I hate the way
> food loses flavor when freezed.
> I have too much food (cooked food) now; I can'tossibly finish them in
> 5 days. And my fridn might give me one of the catches he will get
> going boating tomorrow.
>
> I am sure that there are thread talking about food saver but if anyone
> knows the newer model, please share info.
>
> I am looking for something that works well *that are the cheapest
> price for that quality.

My model is 2 years old, and I do not know what I would do without it.
I have the one that does wet, dry, and jars, however I have never
purchased the jars, but the port is there should I need jars. I have
been purchasing the large pkgs of meat from Sams club for quite a
while, and it is wonderful to not worry about freezer burn or old
meats. And I love having choices of many meats in the freezer.
Go 'fer' it, I think you will be most happy with it. I'm about to use
mine for a pan of eggplant lasagne I made with this in mind.
Good Luck, Nanzi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:16:26 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby
> wrote:

>I am looking for something that works well that are the cheapest
>price for that quality.

Best I can offer is that as FoodSaver upgrades its products, most
of the improvements are for user convenience. I use a V2240.

The underlying process of vacuum packaging food is well established.
It had been much the same since FoodSaver started. Improvements
usually deal with making the rolls easier to feed, built in cutters,
etc.

I upgraded to this model because it recognized the difference between
wet foods and dry foods (FE: Lasagne vs. 1 Kilo bags of rice put up
from a 25 Lb bag).

If you're willing to put up with the lack of "advanced" features, I
suggest going with a basic unit. It will provide you the base feature,
that is, vacuum packaging your food. Later models will do no better.

HTH

ALex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks everyone for the info.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nanzi wrote about her food saver:

> I have the one that does wet, dry, and jars, however I have never
> purchased the jars, but the port is there should I need jars.

I haven't bought the jars because all the reviews I've read said that they
break very easily, often with no shock whatsoever. The reviewers seemed
*extremely* disgruntled about that. It's a shame, because if the jars were
sturdy, I'd like to try vacuum-marinating in them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:44:07 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Nanzi wrote about her food saver:
>
>> I have the one that does wet, dry, and jars, however I have never
>> purchased the jars, but the port is there should I need jars.

>I haven't bought the jars because all the reviews I've read said that they
>break very easily, often with no shock whatsoever. The reviewers seemed
>*extremely* disgruntled about that. It's a shame, because if the jars were
>sturdy, I'd like to try vacuum-marinating in them.

Bob, I have multiple sets of the canister jars and the flat tray
marinating tubs, and all have served well. I clean them in the
upper rack of the DW, but not their tops, as the valves can
get messed up . Very useful are the Mason Jar vacuum tops.
They let you use any mason jar as a FoodSaver container.
The jars/canisters have never broken in my usage with any
of my FoodSavers, and I had the original model. Some of
my jars/canisters are from the original model.

HTH,

Alex, who loves being able to marinate in less than an hour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Nanzi wrote about her food saver:
>
>> I have the one that does wet, dry, and jars, however I have never
>> purchased the jars, but the port is there should I need jars.

> I haven't bought the jars because all the reviews I've read said that
> they break very easily, often with no shock whatsoever. The reviewers
> seemed *extremely* disgruntled about that. It's a shame, because if the
> jars were sturdy, I'd like to try vacuum-marinating in them.
>
> Bob

I use a gallon glass canning jar Bob. Stuff the meat in through the
widemouth opening, put a canning jar lid on it, crank up the vacuum
pump, sucks the air out and seals the jar. You can practically see the
meat sucking up the marinade. Works a charm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Nanzi wrote about her food saver:
>>
>>> I have the one that does wet, dry, and jars, however I have never
>>> purchased the jars, but the port is there should I need jars.

>> I haven't bought the jars because all the reviews I've read said that
>> they break very easily, often with no shock whatsoever. The reviewers
>> seemed *extremely* disgruntled about that. It's a shame, because if the
>> jars were sturdy, I'd like to try vacuum-marinating in them.
>>
>> Bob

> I use a gallon glass canning jar Bob. Stuff the meat in through the
> widemouth opening, put a canning jar lid on it, crank up the vacuum pump,
> sucks the air out and seals the jar. You can practically see the meat
> sucking up the marinade.

Then what, you store it in your cupboard?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:00:37 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Nanzi wrote about her food saver:
>>
>>> I have the one that does wet, dry, and jars, however I have never
>>> purchased the jars, but the port is there should I need jars.

>> I haven't bought the jars because all the reviews I've read said that
>> they break very easily, often with no shock whatsoever. The reviewers
>> seemed *extremely* disgruntled about that. It's a shame, because if the
>> jars were sturdy, I'd like to try vacuum-marinating in them.
>>
>> Bob

>I use a gallon glass canning jar Bob. Stuff the meat in through the
>widemouth opening, put a canning jar lid on it, crank up the vacuum
>pump, sucks the air out and seals the jar. You can practically see the
>meat sucking up the marinade. Works a charm.

Why wouldn't that work in a one gallon bag... or don't they make them
that size?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>>I use a gallon glass canning jar Bob. Stuff the meat in through the
>>widemouth opening, put a canning jar lid on it, crank up the vacuum
>>pump, sucks the air out and seals the jar. You can practically see the
>>meat sucking up the marinade. Works a charm.

> Why wouldn't that work in a one gallon bag... or don't they make them
> that size?

Bags don't work the same way. The jar can be evacuated of air and it still
maintains its shape. The meat is in a vacuum and will absorb some liquid
marinade. A bag will collapse around the food and the liquid gets sucked
out along with the air.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:30:53 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>>>I use a gallon glass canning jar Bob. Stuff the meat in through the
>>>widemouth opening, put a canning jar lid on it, crank up the vacuum
>>>pump, sucks the air out and seals the jar. You can practically see the
>>>meat sucking up the marinade. Works a charm.

>> Why wouldn't that work in a one gallon bag... or don't they make them
>> that size?
>>

>Bags don't work the same way. The jar can be evacuated of air and it still
>maintains its shape. The meat is in a vacuum and will absorb some liquid
>marinade. A bag will collapse around the food and the liquid gets sucked
>out along with the air.

OK, that makes sense.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Food Saver Malcom Mal Reynolds General Cooking 15 08-08-2015 05:16 AM
Food Saver a74aggie Preserving 7 31-12-2004 09:13 PM
Food Saver a74aggie Preserving 0 30-12-2004 02:47 AM