Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] New respect for cats

On 2014-05-15 3:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Sort of wondered the same thing. Supposedly it was security cameras on
> the house. I can see having a couple of them set up for full coverage.
> Looked like decent quality video too.

Security cameras are a lot better than they used to be, and they are in
a lot of places. Between that and caller ID, some people have had to
find new hobbies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2014 3:07 PM, Chemo wrote:
> On Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:14:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:

>> Has anyone said why there are multiple camera angles?
>>

>> Strange, I'd hate to think this was staged.

> Because the owners had several security cameras. It was all over the
> news and NBC and several other stations interviewed the parents.

I see security camera kits come with several cameras. I'm
sure you can buy 1 camera and hook it up to your computer,
but I don't think that's really the norm any more.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:14:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-05-15 1:55 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> It is hard to tell from the video because she did head off in the
> >> direction that the dog had gone. For all you can tell from the video it
> >> could have just be playfulness, though much to rough, and family dog and
> >> cat might explain why the cat ran in and dog ran off. However..... when
> >> you read the article and see the damage it is a different story.
> >>

> > What I saw above had no accompanying article and I was unfamiliar with
> > the story.
> >

> Google is our friend.

Please explain what are you here when Google is your friend.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-15 5:20 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:14:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> What I saw above had no accompanying article and I was unfamiliar with
>>> the story.
>>>

>> Google is our friend.

> Please explain what are you here when Google is your friend.

To show you the light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:45:51 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/15/2014 2:50 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:14:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> >> Has anyone said why there are multiple camera angles?

> > Not that I've read here.

> Home surveillance cameras set up around the cat owners house. I guess
>
> it's not a very safe neighborhood?
>

> Jill

I guess so, Jill. That they were surveillance cameras didn't occur to me, but I guess they are a reality in some neighborhoods.

Julie P.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 10:09:15 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>Remember this one?
>
>http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ar&FORM =IGRE

A bigger cat, but anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBlkuok4mC8
I love this video. You just know this cat's been mistreated to react
this way. Payback can be a bitch sometimes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_jemp5ei1

> > Has anyone said why there are multiple camera angles?

> > Strange, I'd hate to think this was staged.

> 20% of my neighborhood have cameras on their property - some have
>
> multiple cameras. I have no doubt this wasn't staged. That's kinda
>
> far-fetched and I'm usually the one crying foul.
>

> -sw

I was thinking that maybe it was an attempt to catch the dog at something and the whole thing went terribly awry. I can't imagine that they would put that child at risk like that, that would be far-fetched.

Julie P.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 10:30:47 -0300, wrote:

>Some cats are brave - my old cat used to terrify the hell out of my
>son's bull terrier.

I love this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2014 6:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:44:53 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I see security camera kits come with several cameras. I'm
>> sure you can buy 1 camera and hook it up to your computer,
>> but I don't think that's really the norm any more.

> Costco sells 4 and 8 camera standalone CCTV systems right in the
> stores. While many of them are used for businesses, many homeowners
> are also using them. Costco doesn't waste shelf space displaying
> items that don't sell well.

I've seen enough video from homeowner security videos that
put the crap system the business has to shame. Amazing
clarity.

> How many videos have we seen of UPS/Fed-EX deliveries gone wrong
> (stolen boxes and careless drivers). Several people in my
> neighborhood have posted videos to the neighborhood mailing list of
> people stealing their deliveries.

Man, that stinks.

> And I don't live in a bad neighborhood. I think the cameras are
> actually more prevalent in the affluent neighborhoods.

I think you're right. And a lot of those hooked up to a display
so you can see who's at the door. I wouldn't think to try to get
away with anything anymore, you just know someone's got video.

Okay, not that I try to get away with stuff. But I see so many
nefarious types caught on camera. Love it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 May 2014 17:25:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-05-15 5:20 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:14:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> Google is our friend.

> > Please explain what are you here when Google is your friend.
> >

> To show you the light.

I got answers here a heck of a lot faster than the time it would have
taken me to figure out what Google would recognize.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:48:19 AM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
>> Never disliked cats. I've had several. But, never gave 'em much
>>
>> credit for anything except being lazy opportunists. I stand
>>
>> corrected, if not in downright awe. Behold, Tara the watch cat:
>>

>> Tara the Terrible opens a can of whup-ass on a vicious "skulking" dog.
>>
>> Amazing!
>>

>> http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_jemp5ei1
>>

>> nb

> Has anyone said why there are multiple camera angles?
>
> Strange, I'd hate to think this was staged.

Right, I can see it now:

director: ok on your marks everyone, chop chop. Gawd send me actors!, OK
dog,. your on first: here's your motivation, the kid has abused you since
you were a puppy, yea yeah that's it give me anger, now's your chance, the
gate wasn't closed tight, ok ok too much pull it back.

director: OK cat, you relate tot he autistic boy, he's like a kitten to you.
That's it that's it feel the protective juices flow

BRUCE!!! Where is my little assistannnnnnnt: I need a water here - what's
a guy gotta do to stay hydrated around here!

OK, cameras and lights - let's do this thing!

Ready ..... action

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2014 3:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Security cameras are a lot better than they used to be, and they are in
> a lot of places. Between that and caller ID, some people have had to
> find new hobbies.

That's the scary part! Never ever assume there is not a security camera
(or whatever) within any area of view, and on the other hand - that
might be a good thing!!! There are cameras nearly everywheres these
days!! Don't get me wrong - there's nothing I have to hide (er, right -
hehehe) - but dang it, I'm just against the 'big brother' aspect of the
entire "views" (pun intended!).

There's the other side of the same coin, too! Get caught on camera doing
the shady-side of the law, and RUHROH - and that's not a bad thing
either! There are good & bad things about the entire "video camera"
aspect! I won't count the change, that's for sure ;>

Sky, yeah-yeah - I haven't got my sig-line fixed yet so who cares, VBG!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:09:22 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> If the kid did stuff like that to the dog then he'd probably be
> treating the cat the same way. And the cat doesn't seem to mind the
> kid from the video shown here and the subsequent interviews with the
> family.
>

> -sw

In an interview with the family they stated the cat had followed them home before this little boy was born and they adopted the cat. After the child was born he would sleep in the crib with him and became protective.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 May 2014 08:30:02 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 May 2014 10:30:47 -0300, wrote:
>>

>>>Some cats are brave - my old cat used to terrify the hell out of my
>>>son's bull terrier.

>>I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo

> Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

I couldn't play all of that because Bonnie rushed through when she heard it
and was rather distressed!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 May 2014 12:20:27 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo

>>> Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

>>I couldn't play all of that because Bonnie rushed through when she heard
>>it
>>and was rather distressed!

> Lol the other dogs in the video had the bored look of 'heard it all
> before' !
>
> Does Bonnie watch television ? My cat definitely does, if she hears
> birds on it.

I haven't noticed

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2014 7:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote

>> On Fri, 16 May 2014 08:30:02 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> I love this one:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo
>>>

>> Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

> I couldn't play all of that because Bonnie rushed through when she heard
> it and was rather distressed!

My cat came to see WHAAAT is this? Probably thought it's that
stray cat the comes around outside and makes her go ballistic.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-16 8:31 AM, wrote:

> Does Bonnie watch television ? My cat definitely does, if she hears
> birds on it.

I used to have a very smart Labrador retriever who used to watch
television, but only when there were animals on screen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 5/16/2014 7:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote

>>> Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

>> I couldn't play all of that because Bonnie rushed through when she heard
>> it and was rather distressed!

> My cat came to see WHAAAT is this? Probably thought it's that
> stray cat the comes around outside and makes her go ballistic.

Oh dear ))
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote:
> > Does Bonnie watch television ? My cat definitely does, if she hears
> > birds on it.

> I haven't noticed

I came home from work early one day and caught my cat laying on the
bed and watching tv. Here's the pic (as previously posted here):

http://i47.tinypic.com/1y704x.jpg

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > Does Bonnie watch television ? My cat definitely does, if she hears
>> > birds on it.

>> I haven't noticed

> I came home from work early one day and caught my cat laying on the
> bed and watching tv. Here's the pic (as previously posted here):
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/1y704x.jpg

I will watch her this evening when D switches on our tv

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2014 12:20:27 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

. ..

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo

>>> Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

>>I couldn't play all of that because Bonnie rushed through when she heard it
>>and was rather distressed!

> Lol the other dogs in the video had the bored look of 'heard it all
> before' !
>
> Does Bonnie watch television ? My cat definitely does, if she hears
> birds on it.

One of our cats watches TV. She likes anything with a ball, especially tennis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2014 7:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message

>>> I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo

>> Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

> I couldn't play all of that because Bonnie rushed through when she heard
> it and was rather distressed!

Same with my Shamrock. LOL

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2014 12:01 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Does Bonnie watch television ? My cat definitely does, if she hears
>>> birds on it.

>> I haven't noticed

> I came home from work early one day and caught my cat laying on the
> bed and watching tv. Here's the pic (as previously posted here):
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/1y704x.jpg
>
> G.

That's pretty funny, Gary. My sister's cat called me on the phone one
time. I probably responded with that same story the first time you
posted this, but your story doesn't get old.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2014 2:37 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Bakersfield. I read about it on another site and it said the dog was
> euthanized. You should have seen the injuries to the boy, they were really
> bad.

That's pretty surprising because at the end of the video the mom is
chasing after the dog, not looking after the boy. The boy got up and
followed after her. I knew that wasn't going to bode well for the dog.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Some cats are brave - my old cat used to terrify the hell out of my
>>>son's bull terrier.

>>I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKejK2fDTo

>Too funny - I liked the reaction of the other dogs as well !

Yes, pretty funny. I just remebered about this one:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/vid...-hostage-video
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/15/2014 2:37 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Bakersfield. I read about it on another site and it said the dog was
>> euthanized. You should have seen the injuries to the boy, they were
>> really
>> bad.
>>

> That's pretty surprising because at the end of the video the mom is
> chasing after the dog, not looking after the boy. The boy got up and
> followed after her. I knew that wasn't going to bode well for the dog.

She did what I would have done; eliminated the threat then got back for the
wounded. We were taught that in the Army. No point in caring for the
wounded if you'll get attacked, too. The boy didn't look immediately in
distress but that is always a delayed response.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 May 2014 20:44:20 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>>On 5/15/2014 2:37 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Bakersfield. I read about it on another site and it said the dog was
>>> euthanized. You should have seen the injuries to the boy, they were
>>> really
>>> bad.
>>>

>>That's pretty surprising because at the end of the video the mom is
>>chasing after the dog, not looking after the boy. The boy got up and
>>followed after her. I knew that wasn't going to bode well for the dog.

> I was badly bitten as a kid by a bad tempered dog. That involved a
> course of 40 rabies shots back then in Hong Kong where there were many
> rabid dogs. I used to get one daily on my way home from school. Then
> the same dog attacked again. The nasty little dog belonged to the
> Chief of Police and that was why it was not put down the first time it
> attacked.
>
> So my sympathies are with the child. I know I did nothing to
> aggravate the dog that bit me, I loved animals. However it did mean
> not only was I bitten - and still have the scars of same - but I also
> had to have a total of 80 shots as I was a couple of days short of the
> first course when the second event took place.
>
> So I really think if a dog is a biter, you're not going to cure it and
> you better make sure it can never bite if you don't want it put down.
> I was simply passing this dogs property on the road home when it came
> out and went for my throat.

Oh my God!!!!! Too much to ask that the copper got more then a hand slap
for allowing such a dog to run free?

Found out today that Bonnie hates anyone in a high viz jacket and postmen!
(( Oh yes, and she tries to kill the vacuum cleaner!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 13:20:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>> So I really think if a dog is a biter, you're not going to cure it and
>>> you better make sure it can never bite if you don't want it put down.
>>> I was simply passing this dogs property on the road home when it came
>>> out and went for my throat.

>>Oh my God!!!!! Too much to ask that the copper got more then a hand slap
>>for allowing such a dog to run free?

> The first time he said I had been teasing it but my parents knew I
> would not have been doing that. The second time my father told him
> the dog had to go. It was the law at that time, because of the
> situation, that if a dog bit anyone, it had to be destroyed and the
> brain checked for rabies. It was just a disagreeable dog who did not
> like kids.
>>
>>Found out today that Bonnie hates anyone in a high viz jacket and postmen!
>>(( Oh yes, and she tries to kill the vacuum cleaner!

> I thought she was supposed to be relaxing after her op??? Sounds like
> you can't keep a good dog down.

It sure ain't easy!!!! She has to go out to do what a dog's gotta do, so
she does see people <g> I can take her a wee bit further because since the
pain relief was stopped (man that was hard for me) because she doesn't put
pressure on that leg and uses only 3. Fortunately she gets very tired doing
so and will sleep a lot once we are in. We are coming to the end of the
second week. Only 6 weeks to go. Sound like forever

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 13:25:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> This was immediately after WWII and rabies was endemic in dogs who had
>>> been deserted at the fall of HK by owners. They roamed, rather like
>>> feral cats, in packs. However it was not one of them that bit me.

>>) He'll be back to tell you that there has been no rabies in HK for the
>>last million years.
>>
>>Someone here recently pointed out that only liars constantly suspect
>>others
>>of telling lies ...

> OK thanks for the heads up - I know what I know from hard experience.
> I didn't want the shots but my father sat me down with a medical
> dictionary and a description of rabies, I practically ran to the
> doctor

I'll bet! Different places, different ways of life I guess and that isn't
always easy to imagine.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>) He'll be back to tell you that there has been no rabies in HK for
>>>the
>>>last million years.
>>>
>>>Someone here recently pointed out that only liars constantly suspect
>>>others
>>>of telling lies ...

> Oh, shut the **** up, Opie.
>
> Obviously I knew that Lucretia has been bitten long before Hong Kong
> has solved their rabies problem, you snide little ****. Taking
> lessons from Barbara Llorente, are you?

Awwww sweet and kind words from you a always))

> I wasn't doubting what you said, just pointing out that they did a
> good job of eradicating it. Which is surprising for such a dense
> population.

Might I suggest you re read what you wrote about having it all been
eradicated and obviously doubting Lucretia's word.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2014 8:53 PM, wrote:

> I was badly bitten as a kid by a bad tempered dog. That involved a
> course of 40 rabies shots back then in Hong Kong where there were many
> rabid dogs. I used to get one daily on my way home from school. Then
> the same dog attacked again. The nasty little dog belonged to the
> Chief of Police and that was why it was not put down the first time it
> attacked.
>
> So my sympathies are with the child. I know I did nothing to
> aggravate the dog that bit me, I loved animals. However it did mean
> not only was I bitten - and still have the scars of same - but I also
> had to have a total of 80 shots as I was a couple of days short of the
> first course when the second event took place.
>
> So I really think if a dog is a biter, you're not going to cure it and
> you better make sure it can never bite if you don't want it put down.
> I was simply passing this dogs property on the road home when it came
> out and went for my throat.

Some dogs are not trained, so live on instinct, it seems. My brother was
attacked in a similar situation to yours when he was a kid. He was on a
bike and the dog knocked him off of the bike and mauled him pretty bad.

Agree with you about known biter dogs, and cats for that matter. I have
a cat that's a biter and I have to warn people that even though he seems
to want attention, he gets overstimulated easily and will bite. Luckily
he doesn't go out, so he doesn't come into contact with people unless
they're in my house, and that's not often. I alone have to deal with his
biting. He's getting worse as he gets older, too.

--
Cheryl