Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poppy seeds and noodles

My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy seeds and sugar.
Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

>My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
>There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy seeds and sugar.
>Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.

Not Mum... try mun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 May 2014 15:31:42 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
> There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy seeds and sugar.
> Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.

I've read about the poppy seed, cottage cheese and noodle version, but
I've never seen it on a menu, been offered it in anyone's home or made
it for myself.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 8:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2014 15:31:42 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>> My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
>> There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy seeds and sugar.
>> Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.

> I've read about the poppy seed, cottage cheese and noodle version, but
> I've never seen it on a menu, been offered it in anyone's home or made
> it for myself.

Seems to me my mother made egg noodles simply tossed with butter, salt,
pepper and sprinkled with poppy seeds. No cheese of any type and
absolutely no sugar. That would have been 40 years ago.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 6:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>
>> My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
>> There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy seeds and sugar.
>> Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.

> Not Mum... try mun.

Very funny

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 May 2014 15:31:42 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>> My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
>> There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy
>> seeds and sugar.
>> Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.

> I've read about the poppy seed, cottage cheese and noodle version, but
> I've never seen it on a menu, been offered it in anyone's home or made
> it for myself.

I found a cottage cheese recipe that calls for pasta, onion, butter and
garlic. Served cold. Am making it now. Good way to use up my cottage
cheese. Only wish I could eat it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 7:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/1/2014 8:25 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 May 2014 15:31:42 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My Mum used to make this on occasion. Good stuff.
>>> There are many different ways to make this, but we always used poppy
>>> seeds and sugar.
>>> Another alternative is to use cottage cheese and noodles.

>> I've read about the poppy seed, cottage cheese and noodle version, but
>> I've never seen it on a menu, been offered it in anyone's home or made
>> it for myself.
>>

> Seems to me my mother made egg noodles simply tossed with butter, salt,
> pepper and sprinkled with poppy seeds. No cheese of any type and
> absolutely no sugar. That would have been 40 years ago.
>
> Jill

My mother made egg noodles tossed with pot cheese, a drier kind of
cottage cheese that you can't get any more. A little salt and pepper. I
used to make it for the kids as well. Cheap meal with protein and carbs.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 May 2014 10:11:20 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> My mother made egg noodles tossed with pot cheese, a drier kind of
> cottage cheese that you can't get any more.

Is that what is called Farmer's Cheese? I used to be able to buy
Farmer's Cheese at the grocery store, then it disappeared. It looked
like cottage cheese to me, except it was dry.

I would look at the fat content now and weigh it against low fat
ricotta, but I wasn't concerned about that kind of stuff back then - I
just liked it (I used it in my lasagna).

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 11:32 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 02 May 2014 10:11:20 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> My mother made egg noodles tossed with pot cheese, a drier kind of
>> cottage cheese that you can't get any more.

> Is that what is called Farmer's Cheese? I used to be able to buy
> Farmer's Cheese at the grocery store, then it disappeared. It looked
> like cottage cheese to me, except it was dry.

Farmer's cheese was sold in a brick, like cream cheese, but it was a
very dry cottage cheese type stuff. Pot cheese came in a container like
cottage cheese, but the curds were bigger and the product was drier. It
was great in blintzes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking,can.politics,alt.politics,rec.military.uk

On 5/1/2014 4:31 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> My Mum used to make this on occasion.

Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> She did buy the Chef Boyardee pizza kit in a box. That was my only
> exposure to pizza when I was growing up.

CB pizza in a box was the first thing I learned to cook by myself. My
parents had zero interest in pizza. IIRC, the cheese was parmesan in a
sealed can. There was a sauce in a can, and there was a package of
dough that you added water to. I probably spread the dough on a cookie
sheet. I loved them for four years. Then I ate a "real" pizza.
I'd eat one again for nostalgia's sake. And, I'd like it for the hell
of it.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 May 2014 20:02:46 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>

> > She did buy the Chef Boyardee pizza kit in a box. That was my only
> > exposure to pizza when I was growing up.

> CB pizza in a box was the first thing I learned to cook by myself. My
> parents had zero interest in pizza. IIRC, the cheese was parmesan in a
> sealed can. There was a sauce in a can, and there was a package of
> dough that you added water to. I probably spread the dough on a cookie
> sheet. I loved them for four years. Then I ate a "real" pizza.
> I'd eat one again for nostalgia's sake. And, I'd like it for the hell
> of it.

That was my first introduction to pizza too. No prior experience and
no chance to experience at the time elsewhere, so that was it and I
liked it a lot. If I didn't, it would have turned me off to pizza in
the future and I wouldn't like it as much as I do today.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/1/2014 7:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/1/2014 8:25 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 1 May 2014 15:31:42 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

>>> I've read about the poppy seed, cottage cheese and noodle version, but
>>> I've never seen it on a menu, been offered it in anyone's home or made
>>> it for myself.
>>>

>> Seems to me my mother made egg noodles simply tossed with butter, salt,
>> pepper and sprinkled with poppy seeds. No cheese of any type and
>> absolutely no sugar. That would have been 40 years ago.
>>
>> Jill

> My mother made egg noodles tossed with pot cheese, a drier kind of cottage
> cheese that you can't get any more. A little salt and pepper. I used to
> make it for the kids as well. Cheap meal with protein and carbs.

I got pot cheese back in the 70's but *drum roll* I didn't like it! I
also remember getting dry curd cottage cheese as a kid. I begged my mom for
it. Can't get that any more either and likely for good reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> She (mom) did buy the Chef Boyardee pizza kit in a box. That was my only
> exposure to pizza when I was growing up.

Me too. I don't think I ever had any other until age 20 once I moved
away.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 May 2014 10:39:13 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> She (mom) did buy the Chef Boyardee pizza kit in a box. That was my only
>> exposure to pizza when I was growing up.

>Me too. I don't think I ever had any other until age 20 once I moved
>away.

Me three. My sisters and I thought Chef Boyardee pizza was a real
treat.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2014 12:25 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 03 May 2014 10:39:13 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> She (mom) did buy the Chef Boyardee pizza kit in a box. That was my only
>>> exposure to pizza when I was growing up.

>> Me too. I don't think I ever had any other until age 20 once I moved
>> away.

> Me three. My sisters and I thought Chef Boyardee pizza was a real
> treat.
>
> Doris

It *was* a treat! As kids we never had any other pizza. Occasionally
Mom would buy the one that had the pepperoni!

And yes, Leo, Mom baked it on a metal rectangular baking/cookie sheet.
She'd <gasp> grease it with vegetable shortening.

She made square pizza. (Seems to be a rage now based on some of the
Pizza Hut and Domino's commercials I see on TV.) She didn't own a pizza
pan. And hey, this was newfangled! Exotic, even! <G> She just mixed
and patted out the dough in a square shape on a baking sheet. Topped
with the other stuff and baked. We didn't know any better.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 May 2014 12:53:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> It *was* a treat! As kids we never had any other pizza. Occasionally
> Mom would buy the one that had the pepperoni!
>
> And yes, Leo, Mom baked it on a metal rectangular baking/cookie sheet.
> She'd <gasp> grease it with vegetable shortening.
>
> She made square pizza. (Seems to be a rage now based on some of the
> Pizza Hut and Domino's commercials I see on TV.) She didn't own a pizza
> pan. And hey, this was newfangled! Exotic, even! <G> She just mixed
> and patted out the dough in a square shape on a baking sheet. Topped
> with the other stuff and baked. We didn't know any better.

I've often wondered what was in that crust. Couldn't have been yeast,
so maybe it was baking powder.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.