Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Washing Dishes

I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
dishes when camping?

A dishwasher is the best way to go, but I don't get that many dirty
dishes at once, so even though I have a dishwasher, I hand wash-- and
rinse. And let the dishes dry in a plastic rack.

Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
> hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
> dishes when camping?
>
> A dishwasher is the best way to go, but I don't get that many dirty
> dishes at once, so even though I have a dishwasher, I hand wash-- and
> rinse. And let the dishes dry in a plastic rack.
>
> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.
> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them

I don't think I've ever read so much crap in my entire life

I've seen Sheldon going on about our teeth. I don't know anyone with bad
teeth and certainly not among my family or friends. I guess you just have
to keep your dreams.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them

Are many Americans so gullible they actually believe such trite
garbage?

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:01:42 -0400, Gus > wrote:

>I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
>hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
>stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
>hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
>dishes when camping?

Depends. I use at least water and a clean dry paper towel if I have
it. I carry a little bottle of dish soap too. I do the best I can
while camping.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/14, 7:01 AM, Gus wrote:
> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
> hot you would not be able put your hands in it....

You do know that the output temperature of your hot water heater is
adjustable, don't you?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
>I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
> hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
> dishes when camping?
>
> A dishwasher is the best way to go, but I don't get that many dirty
> dishes at once, so even though I have a dishwasher, I hand wash-- and
> rinse. And let the dishes dry in a plastic rack.
>
> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.
> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them

My friend in Maylasia does not use hot water to wash dishes or clothing. Or
even hands. She has just one small water heater attached to her shower. It
is only turned on as needed. I wonder how common this is in other parts of
the world.

I can't imagine not rinsing. The soap would cause big D!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gus" > wrote in message
>> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
>> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
>> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
>> hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
>> dishes when camping?
>>
>> A dishwasher is the best way to go, but I don't get that many dirty
>> dishes at once, so even though I have a dishwasher, I hand wash-- and
>> rinse. And let the dishes dry in a plastic rack.
>>
>> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.
>> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them

> I don't think I've ever read so much crap in my entire life
>
> I've seen Sheldon going on about our teeth. I don't know anyone with bad
> teeth and certainly not among my family or friends. I guess you just have
> to keep your dreams.

The teeth thing is commonly talked about. When I was a kid, we had friends
who were from England. The adults did have horrible teeth. Not sure about
the kids. That didn't help my image any since I didn't know too many other
British people. I have known some as an adult, some with horrible teeth and
some without. But there are parts of this country where people have
horrible teeth too. You will even see some here but they are few and far
between.

But I think one of the big things that we notice that is different is that a
lot of British people seem to have crooked teeth. Ricky Gervais comes to
mind. I wouldn't even have noticed except that he pointed it out on some
show I was watching. You don't often see crooked teeth here on younger
people and when you do, you begin to wonder why the parents didn't do
something about it. Braces are all too common here. I've even had other
parents stop me and tell me how lucky I am that Angela doesn't need braces.
Her dad had horrible teeth and needed head gear. My teeth were fine until
my 30's and the front ones began to go slightly crooked. Had it been just
cosmetic, I would have left them but... Once in a while a top tooth would
snag on the bottom ones and that was painful. So I had braces in my 30's.
Had I realized how painful braces could be as an adult, I probably wouldn't
have bothered!

In other parts of this country, it seems very common to see people with
missing teeth. Instead of having their teeth fixed, they just have them
pulled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 10:45:31 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On 4/19/14, 7:01 AM, Gus wrote:
>> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
>> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
>> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
>> hot you would not be able put your hands in it....

>You do know that the output temperature of your hot water heater is
>adjustable, don't you?
>
>-- Larry

Yes, I keep it low to save money/energy.

From National Geographic:
"...Carrico said, "It's certainly true that heat kills bacteria, but
if you were going to use hot water to kill them it would have to be
way too hot for you to tolerate."

She explained that boiling water, 212°F (99.98°C), is sometimes used
to kill germs-for example, to disinfect drinking water that might be
contaminated with pathogens. But "hot" water for hand washing is
generally within 104°F to 131°F (40°C to 55°C.) At the high end of
that range, heat could kill some pathogens, but the sustained contact
that would be required would scald the skin."
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...energy-health/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gus > wrote in
:

> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.

That's nothing. The French don't bathe, but just pile on more cologne.
And we Americans all have guns, and if'n you look at us wrong, we'll just
gun you down like a dog, and speakin' of dogs, Koreans eat dogs like
regular folks eat chicken, and don't even get me started on the
Pakistanis...

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:31:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Gus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
>> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
>> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
>> hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
>> dishes when camping?
>>
>> A dishwasher is the best way to go, but I don't get that many dirty
>> dishes at once, so even though I have a dishwasher, I hand wash-- and
>> rinse. And let the dishes dry in a plastic rack.
>>
>> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.
>> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them

>I don't think I've ever read so much crap in my entire life
>
>I've seen Sheldon going on about our teeth. I don't know anyone with bad
>teeth and certainly not among my family or friends. I guess you just have
>to keep your dreams.

I did not mean to offend. I have crooked teeth and am in the US. Ray
Davies has a gap in his teeth and is a great songwriter. David
Letterman has gap in his teeth and is a great comedian and from
Indiana, US.

Many Brits in another ng agreed they do not rinse or parents didn't.
Though with advent of dishwashers becoming moot. Odd to me anyone
would not rinse... The straightdope is pretty reliable. Has some
conjecture but based on research.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:24:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>My friend in Maylasia does not use hot water to wash dishes or clothing. Or
>even hands. She has just one small water heater attached to her shower. It
>is only turned on as needed. I wonder how common this is in other parts of
>the world.
>
>I can't imagine not rinsing. The soap would cause big D!

"The researchers found that close to 70 percent of respondents said
they believe that using hot water is more effective than warm, room
temperature, or cold water, despite a lack of evidence backing that
up, said Carrico. Her study noted research that showed a "strong
cognitive connection" between water temperature and hygiene in both
the United States and Western Europe, compared to other countries,
like Japan, where hot water is associated more with comfort than with
health.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...energy-health/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2014 6:17 PM, Gus wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 10:45:31 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/14, 7:01 AM, Gus wrote:
>>> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
>>> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
>>> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
>>> hot you would not be able put your hands in it....

>> You do know that the output temperature of your hot water heater is
>> adjustable, don't you?
>>
>> -- Larry

> Yes, I keep it low to save money/energy.
>
> From National Geographic:
> "...Carrico said, "It's certainly true that heat kills bacteria, but
> if you were going to use hot water to kill them it would have to be
> way too hot for you to tolerate."
>
> She explained that boiling water, 212°F (99.98°C), is sometimes used
> to kill germs-for example, to disinfect drinking water that might be
> contaminated with pathogens. But "hot" water for hand washing is
> generally within 104°F to 131°F (40°C to 55°C.) At the high end of
> that range, heat could kill some pathogens, but the sustained contact
> that would be required would scald the skin."
> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...energy-health/

Why go through all of that? We just let the dog lick them clean and put
them back in the cupboard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:32:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>lot of British people seem to have crooked teeth. Ricky Gervais comes to
>>mind. I wouldn't even have noticed except that he pointed it out on some
>>show I was watching. You don't often see crooked teeth here on younger
>>people and when you do, you begin to wonder why the parents didn't do
>>something about it. Braces are all too common here. I've even had other
>>parents stop me and tell me how lucky I am that Angela doesn't need
>>braces.
>>Her dad had horrible teeth and needed head gear. My teeth were fine until
>>my 30's and the front ones began to go slightly crooked. Had it been just
>>cosmetic, I would have left them but... Once in a while a top tooth would
>>snag on the bottom ones and that was painful. So I had braces in my 30's.
>>Had I realized how painful braces could be as an adult, I probably
>>wouldn't
>>have bothered!

> Well get this - other countries are not so tied up on having
> unnaturally straight teeth. What's the point in damaging them so they
> will look straight ? Idiotic ~

Uh... How are teeth damaged when straightened? They're not. And in many
cases it is needed so that they have the proper bite. It also helps prevent
cavities. When teeth overlap, you can't necessarily floss well between
them. If teeth are overcrowded in the mouth, it can cause pain.

>>In other parts of this country, it seems very common to see people with
>>missing teeth. Instead of having their teeth fixed, they just have them
>>pulled.

> Maybe having them pulled is all they can afford ?

There are almost always other options. Many universities have dental
schools where you can get the work done for cheap if not free. If truly
poor, they can often get some sort of a voucher for work. I don't know the
specifics as I've had dental insurance for most of my life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014, wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:32:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> lot of British people seem to have crooked teeth. Ricky Gervais comes
>>> mind. I wouldn't even have noticed except that he pointed it out on
>>> some
>>> show I was watching. You don't often see crooked teeth here on younger
>>> people and when you do, you begin to wonder why the parents didn't do
>>> something about it. Braces are all too common here. I've even had
>>> other
>>> parents stop me and tell me how lucky I am that Angela doesn't need
>>> braces.
>>> Her dad had horrible teeth and needed head gear. My teeth were fine
>>> until
>>> my 30's and the front ones began to go slightly crooked. Had it been
>>> just
>>> cosmetic, I would have left them but... Once in a while a top tooth
>>> would
>>> snag on the bottom ones and that was painful. So I had braces in my
>>> 30's.
>>> Had I realized how painful braces could be as an adult, I probably
>>> wouldn't
>>> have bothered!

>> Well get this - other countries are not so tied up on having
>> unnaturally straight teeth. What's the point in damaging them so they
>> will look straight ? Idiotic ~

> "damaging" them isn't quite what modern othodontia is about. The teeth
> move around, but they're not damaged. I'm quite grateful for having had
> orthodontia as a teen. Too late for having not having had to suffer the
> taunting and teasing from the kids in grammar school, however.

Teasing for how your teeth were before braces? Or teasing because of the
braces? The ones I felt sorry for when I was in school were the ones who
had to wear head gear to school. I have not seen any kids like that lately
although I do know of some who have to wear them to bed. These days the
braces are often much less barbaric than they used to be.

I wish I could have had the Invisiline ones. But even the brackets these
days are better than what I had. I hated having mine adjusted each week. I
don't know why but my brackets always ripped my lip open afterwards and I
had to put blobs of wax on them. I only had brackets on 6 teeth too! The
front top two were the bad ones but I also needed to move the two next to
them slightly and then I needed brackets further back in my mouth for some
reasons I can't begin to explain. Makes sense when I think about why but I
can't explain it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:31:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Gus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I don't use hot water anymore when hand washing dishes. I used to but
>>> hot water is not that hot out of the spigot anyway, so one day I just
>>> stopped using hot, and survived. To disinfect dishes you need water so
>>> hot you would not be able put your hands in it. How do people clean
>>> dishes when camping?
>>>
>>> A dishwasher is the best way to go, but I don't get that many dirty
>>> dishes at once, so even though I have a dishwasher, I hand wash-- and
>>> rinse. And let the dishes dry in a plastic rack.
>>>
>>> Many Brits do not rinse? I can't imagine not rinsing.
>>> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...r-washing-them

>>I don't think I've ever read so much crap in my entire life
>>
>>I've seen Sheldon going on about our teeth. I don't know anyone with bad
>>teeth and certainly not among my family or friends. I guess you just have
>>to keep your dreams.

> I did not mean to offend. I have crooked teeth and am in the US. Ray
> Davies has a gap in his teeth and is a great songwriter. David
> Letterman has gap in his teeth and is a great comedian and from
> Indiana, US.
>
> Many Brits in another ng agreed they do not rinse or parents didn't.
> Though with advent of dishwashers becoming moot. Odd to me anyone
> would not rinse... The straightdope is pretty reliable. Has some
> conjecture but based on research.

Odd to me that they wouldn't rinse as well. I went to camp a few times as a
kid and the way we had to wash dishes there was to have two pans. One with
soapy water and one for rinsing. As you can imagine, towards the end, the
rinse one began to get a bit soapy. But if it got too bad, we would just
dump it and refill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:24:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>My friend in Maylasia does not use hot water to wash dishes or clothing.
>>Or
>>even hands. She has just one small water heater attached to her shower.
>>It
>>is only turned on as needed. I wonder how common this is in other parts
>>of
>>the world.
>>
>>I can't imagine not rinsing. The soap would cause big D!

> "The researchers found that close to 70 percent of respondents said
> they believe that using hot water is more effective than warm, room
> temperature, or cold water, despite a lack of evidence backing that
> up, said Carrico. Her study noted research that showed a "strong
> cognitive connection" between water temperature and hygiene in both
> the United States and Western Europe, compared to other countries,
> like Japan, where hot water is associated more with comfort than with
> health.
> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...energy-health/

Hmmm... I did not know this. The one thing that always seemed odd to me
was panties when you have a yeast infection. They tell us to put them in
the microwave or scrub them with a toothbrush in the sink and use hot water
before tossing in the washer. So the heat will kill any yeast that might be
on them. But why? We put them in the dryer and the dryer is hot. Would
that not work?